Mungo

IM Malaysia 2015

Good luck tomorrow all who are racing, hope things go to plan and you stay safe in the difficult conditions.

You are very lucky to be able to do these things so enjoy the experience!

Looking at the times, I might plan a trip to Malaysia if I ever want to try to qualify for Kona again.

I noticed Niseko's name in the start list.

One month after Kona he's keen!

Jody Gilchrist started. Looks like winning her age group. Currently in the lead by 40 minutes

4th in kona last month

Coached by Xavier from TEAM Tri.

Looking at the times, I might plan a trip to Malaysia if I ever want to try to qualify for Kona again.

Don't let the time fool you. It may be a nicer swim & cooler time of the year but this race is pure hell. Respect to Nath for having a good race there last year, a true hard man of the sport.

You're kidding yourself if you think it would come that easy, completely different beast putting a half decent race together in those conditions compared to anything in Oz.

• Like 1

You're kidding yourself if you think it would come that easy, completely different beast putting a half decent race together in those conditions compared to anything in Oz.

Don't think it would be easy at all. Just looking at the times of a couple of people I know and what they would usually do back here in makes that point obvious. But also then considering what I perhaps would be capable of.

Don't think it would be easy at all. Just looking at the times of a couple of people I know and what they would usually do back here in makes that point obvious. But also then considering what I perhaps would be capable of.

I think plenty have the same idea and get a harsh dose of reality once they get there (myself included) the course is pretty solid but the weather conditions are stupid!

I noticed Niseko's name in the start list.

One month after Kona he's keen!

I entered under heavy peer pressure and under the influence but soon thought better of it. So I traded it for a holiday in Africa where I currently am - the wifey is over the IM thing (and after having done about 20 I think I am too, for a while anyway).

It's been a good result - ditching a marathon in 40 degrees (where I would not have gotten a slot anyway) for a luxury safari, tour of Capetown, a week in the wineries of Stellenbosch, Zambezi rafting and Victoria Falls. Currently happy wife = happy life :smile1: .

A few from my club got slots there. One dude went 20mins faster than last year and was the same rank in his AG - he's a bit pissed.

One thing I learnt from the safari is that when it comes to activity in the heat, animals are much smarter than humans.

I entered under heavy peer pressure and under the influence but soon thought better of it. So I traded it for a holiday in Africa where I currently am - the wifey is over the IM thing (and after having done about 20 I think I am too, for a while anyway).

It's been a good result - ditching a marathon in 40 degrees (where I would not have gotten a slot anyway) for a luxury safari, tour of Capetown, a week in the wineries of Stellenbosch, Zambezi rafting and Victoria Falls. Currently happy wife = happy life :smile1: .

A few from my club got slots there. One dude went 20mins faster than last year and was the same rank in his AG - he's a bit pissed.

One thing I learnt from the safari is that when it comes to activity in the heat, animals are much smarter than humans.

What there is more to life then trying to qualify for Kona....... No way.

• Like 1

I think Emski got 4th in her age group - the Darwin Tri club Facebook page has an Emma coming 4th & I assume it's our tyranny ...

• Like 2

At the current rate of improvement you might get there before you turn 50!

At least I'm improving

Bored@ will go sub 11 within 18 months.

But be divorced inside 9 months.

How the fk would you know? I have been happily married for almost 13 years now & I have been racing Ironman since 2005. My wife 100% supports me during IM training. She talks with my coach & helps set my training schedule, picks my races & keeps me focused. She volunteers at every race and is always there for me.

Once ironman is over then focus switches to her. FFS I just offered to buy her a new engagement ring & she decided to spend the money on holidays & ironman entries.

• Like 1

I think Emski got 4th in her age group - the Darwin Tri club Facebook page has an Emma coming 4th & I assume it's our tyranny ...

Yes! That's me ? tried to catch 3rd but she had 45-50 mins on me. No chance.

What a brutal course!!! First ironman and came in at 13:05. Had a very interrupted lead in so am just stoked I finished! Those hills... Wowsers! Such a beautiful location though, and the volunteers were just amazing.

Was fairly disappointed with the welcome dinner though, very average food and that Pete Murray can talk some absolute crap. Good at times in those sorts of positions, but he was very rude towards some of the countries, I felt a bit embarrassed he was representing Aus to be honest.

• Like 2

My wife 100% supports me during IM training. She talks with my coach & helps set my training schedule, picks my races & keeps me focused.

Are you serious ? She works out your training plan with your coach and picks your races - does she feed you in a bowl outside the back door :scared:

• Like 1

WTF?

Just checked my age group placings (50-54). The winner ran a 3:21 marathon to a sub 10hr in those conditions. :shocking: to win by 54 mins.

I need to lift my game, (as if I didn't know that already).

Yes! That's me tried to catch 3rd but she had 45-50 mins on me. No chance.

What a brutal course!!! First ironman and came in at 13:05. Had a very interrupted lead in so am just stoked I finished! Those hills... Wowsers! Such a beautiful location though, and the volunteers were just amazing.

Was fairly disappointed with the welcome dinner though, very average food and that Pete Murray can talk some absolute crap. Good at times in those sorts of positions, but he was very rude towards some of the countries, I felt a bit embarrassed he was representing Aus to be honest.

How hot/humid was it?

• Like 1

No issues with the smoke haze thing from Indonesia? anybody got a race report? I'll be in the region next year, i'm sure the wife wants another IM holiday!

What a brutal course!!! First ironman and came in at 13:05.

So, are you applying for course difficulty adjustment to get your time under 13 hours? :D

Are you serious ? She works out your training plan with your coach and picks your races - does she feed you in a bowl outside the back door :scared:

Sorry I worded that poorly. I was typing pissed off.

Before I start a IM program my wife has input into how many hours / what days I spend training. She also helps schedule training around family events (weddings, birthdays etc) & her working hours. She couldn't give a shit what training I'm doing just the hours away from the family. She keeps a copy of my program at work & will schedule dinners, family events etc around my training.

This worked really well for my last IM prep & we are going to do it again.

What's wrong with her picking my races, she has no interest in going back to the same location year after year. My wife looks for destination races around the world, cheap airfares and if they fit in with school holidays. I really don't care what race I do as long as it's a new race.

My best mate & his wife watched me race IM Malaysia & then IM Louisville. Yesterday the wives were planning my next IM race. I hardly had a say in picking my next event.

• Like 1

Yes! That's me tried to catch 3rd but she had 45-50 mins on me. No chance.

That's awesome. I had another friend who was racing his 14th IM & he was saying the conditions were tough.

Congrats on finishing your first IM (not a bad bit of bling,bling for your first IM medal)

Did you go to the awards dinner?

Pete Murray can talk some absolute crap. Good at times in those sorts of positions, but he was very rude towards some of the countries, I felt a bit embarrassed he was representing Aus to be honest.

I'm a fan of Pete's. Maybe he wasn't at his best for a few moments, but that could be said for all of us - and he has to talk all day.

It's not an easy job that those guys do, especially these days when the PC crowd have their radar set on high. Much prefer him to the Saffer bloke they have in Europe and on hot corner in Kona these days too.

Edited by Niseko

So, are you applying for course difficulty adjustment to get your time under 13 hours? :D

Yes!!! ha ha surely that counts ;)

Was fairly hot and humid, but I'm from Darwin so wasn't a huge deal for me. Until I hit the run, first lap of the run was pretty hot, a big stretch around the airport was really exposed. No issues with the haze either, that had cleared up nicely. I'll try put together a brief race report over the next few days now that I'm back home.

Definitely a hard job for Pete to talk all day, and also at the other events throughout the course of the event. Many people couldn't do that and I take my hat off to him. I guess my issue was the rudeness towards the different countries. Stereotyping and the like. I think it's one thing to do that to a fellow Aussie who may get it or at least jab back, but I think he could probably tone that bit down a bit.

• Like 1

Just got an email. Discount entry for $500

Has to be cheapest entry of all ironmans in2016

• Like 1

Just got an email. Discount entry for $500

Has to be cheapest entry of all ironmans in2016

Got the same one... still not sure its enough to temp me after getting a sample at Putrajaya last year

At $200 I still wouldn't race it again. People will just pay the extra & do a easy race like Busso.

Whats your guess? Price drop because numbers are potentially dropping? "too hard"?

It's a long way out, probably just trying to bank some money early to cover costs.

Agree.

Just realised reading the email again it hasn't opened yet

It's a bloody hard course, hot humid & I'm tipping the numbers were down last year.

This race has struggled in the past & I think it will struggle in the future to get the numbers required.

It's a bloody hard course, hot humid & I'm tipping the numbers were down last year.

This race has struggled in the past & I think it will struggle in the future to get the numbers required.

Stab in the dark at "loading" assuming nutrition is ok.... +1 to 1.5hrs slower than say Port Mac??

I did a 70.3 in 38 degree heat and that was a f**king nightmare. Can't imagine doing a full in the heat and humidity of Malaysia.

Stab in the dark at "loading" assuming nutrition is ok.... +1 to 1.5hrs slower than say Port Mac??

Tough question. I have never had a good race in Port to back my numbers off. I would say about 2.5 to 3hrs harder then Busso or melb

Tough question. I have never had a good race in Port to back my numbers off. I would say about 2.5 to 3hrs harder then Busso or melb

Wow! Didn't get a crack at Melb but i had a good day in Busso a few yrs ago. Thats big. Cheers