Mungo

IM Malaysia 2015

So 6 weeks to go for IM Malaysia!

I'm a little worried as I've had a few poor weeks with some stuff going on. Have missed a couple big sessions, but hopefully I can still get some quality training in moving forward. Was keen to really give it a crack as my first IM, but I think now I'm keen to just get over the line in one piece.

How's everyone else going that's racing/participating Malaysia?

Still able to get in one more over distance week without frying yourself for the big dance. That and 5 weeks specific training - gradually tapering distance whilst maintaining-increasing intensity will see you there!

Just remember to keep up the swimming ;)

Hi emski,

My prep hasn't been going to plan for IM Malaysia either - I broke my collarbone 5 weeks ago - wet road on bike 1 - Mungo hospital! So, no swimming only just getting back to running - been doing a lot of spin classes and other wind trainer sessions so we'll see how we go - I've got Port half the week after next so I am anticipating that it will be painful swim.

Swimming will be the death of me! Been sick a few weeks, then a friend passed, then sick all over again. Not much swimming done in that time, perhaps once a week, with the occasional twice a week thrown in. Back to it this week though. Love the paddle sets.

Yep, a big week this week to try get back onto the right path and then see where I'm at I think.

Geez Mungo, that's no good! Hope Port half isn't too bad for you. I'm now just looking forward to getting through it and enjoying the holiday on the other side.

All the race maps and athlete race guide are up. They have made a new rule for the non-wetsuit swim which rules out all the new sleeved tri suits. So annoyed, they just find new ways to inconvience athletes. To top it off they have just posted a vague message on facestalk that there is significant haze and have indicated that it is not safe to race in those conditions. No idea if they have a plan B (I doubt it, everything else has been handled poorly IMO) or if the race will actually happen!

That rule isn't new, pretty common outside of oz. No big deal, undo the zipper & roll down the sleeves to tuck inside a speedsuit.

If you want it more aero on the bike it should be tight across the shoulders & will probably restrict movement in the swim anyway.

Edited by caesar

The haze due to the palm oil burning in Indonesia is wreaking all kinds of havoc in SEA. It's probably not getting much press, but anything over 80 PSI is unsafe to exercise and every other day in Langkawi is around that (and 100+ in Singapore). It's a catastrophe.

They just cancelled the biggest bike race in the region, the Tour De Bintan two weeks before the race as they wanted to give people time to cancel flights and hotels and didn't want people travelling across the globe to be left without a race.

The haze will continue to January and the race is 50/50 to go ahead, depending on the wind on the day.

Edited by Niseko

Just been checking out the news on this. Anyone think they will make a call sooner rather than later? Or wait until everyone is over there and call it in the days before?

If they're waiting on the wind, they should know a week out, direction and strength.

While I want to know now as there's time to cancel/change travel, can understand the need to wait until closer.

I certainly don't envy the people who have to make the call.

The haze due to the palm oil burning in Indonesia is wreaking all kinds of havoc in SEA. It's probably not getting much press, but anything over 80 PSI is unsafe to exercise and every other day in Langkawi is around that (and 100+ in Singapore). It's a catastrophe.

They just cancelled the biggest bike race in the region, the Tour De Bintan two weeks before the race as they wanted to give people time to cancel flights and hotels and didn't want people travelling across the globe to be left without a race.

The haze will continue to January and the race is 50/50 to go ahead, depending on the wind on the day.

Half a million now sick from Indonesian palm oil burn off

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/10/28/11/34/half-a-million-now-sick-from-indonesian-palm-oil-burn-off#BVG01xFgA47Col5R.99

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/10/28/11/34/half-a-million-now-sick-from-indonesian-palm-oil-burn-off

An excerpt from the email from Geoff Meyer received today:

I understand your concerns especially this year Singapore and Malaysia has been hit by haze for an exceptionally long period.

We have been monitoring the wind patterns and weather conditions in Langkawi for the past few months.

The wind directions have changed an Easterly wind which will not be blowing the haze from the south to the north. The conditions in Langkawi now is very favourable. Below is the photo taken on Monday in Langkawi.

It has been raining every day in the past week and the wind direction will continue on.

Even KL is facing better days now.

The current forecast is good for race and shouldn't have any concerns about cancellations or postponement.

See you in Langkawi!

Thank you

Best regards,

CG LIM

General Manager

I emailed IM Malaysia and they responded saying the conditions in Langkawi have improved with occasional rain. Winds are now north easterly which is blowing the haze away and they have no concerns for race week. So I guess repeating what Roxii posted above. Hopefully things keep improving!

Two weeks for me until I fly over. Shits getting pretty real right about now!

Two weeks for me until I fly over. Shits getting pretty real right about now!

When are you both flying in? Wednesday?

Couldn't get a flight on the Wednesday so Thursday morning before the race for me. Arrive Langkawi about 11am I think. I know it's going to be HOT but hopefully the build up here in Darwin means I don't need as long to acclimatise... My biggest problem is usually getting used to a new bed!

ETA: #196

Edited by emski
  • Like 1

Couldn't get a flight on the Wednesday so Thursday morning before the race for me. Arrive Langkawi about 11am I think. I know it's going to be HOT but hopefully the build up here in Darwin means I don't need as long to acclimatise... My biggest problem is usually getting used to a new bed!

ETA: #196

Do you train with Brett Verity at all? I went to school with him years ago in Darwin.

No don't train with Brett, but thinking about starting with his group in the new year. They see huge gains.

I don't know how to attach pics, but IM Malaysia has posted a couple on their facebook of the swim and clear skies above the exhibition centre. All looks good, so full steam ahead it seems! Great news.

With the welcome dinner and awards night, have I got free entry with my band? And if I wanted to drag my partner along, can anyone tell me how I get a ticket for him? Should I be quick? Thanks :)

Your athlete band allows you into the functions.

The welcome dinner at Malaysia last year was very good unlike every other IM event I've been to, even in Kona!

I would recommend that you purchase a ticket for him too, which you can usually do on the event website.

• Like 1

I don't know how to attach pics, but IM Malaysia has posted a couple on their facebook of the swim and clear skies above the exhibition centre. All looks good, so full steam ahead it seems! Great news.

With the welcome dinner and awards night, have I got free entry with my band? And if I wanted to drag my partner along, can anyone tell me how I get a ticket for him? Should I be quick? Thanks :)

"https://www.facebook.com/864287316950201/photos/a.866829896695943.1073741830.864287316950201/992402010805397/?type=3"

Edited by zed

Race week is here!!! :taz:

Last day at work for me today, flying out early Thursday morning. I am mostly just freaking excited!! But every now and then a little slice of fear of the unknown sneaks in... weather says lots of rain, but only showers on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully it stays light on race day and cools us all down.

• Like 2

There is great Mexican Restaurant on the island - make sure you check it out.

Apart from that I really hope the race has improved this year & the weather gods are kind

• Like 2

I'm off to the airport tonight.

Pre Race Excuses: Fat, not fit, stress reaction in left foot, knee reco 12 mths ago. Apart from that I did shave my legs for the first time in months, so there is 3 seconds I've saved.

• Like 1

I'm off to the airport tonight.

Pre Race Excuses: Fat, not fit, stress reaction in left foot, knee reco 12 mths ago. Apart from that I did shave my legs for the first time in months, so there is 3 seconds I've saved.

Actually freak, if you really are fat, there's more surface area than normal on your legs and you've probably saved 6 seconds.

• Like 1

... weather says lots of rain, but only showers on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully it stays light on race day and cools us all down.

Weather is a little unpredictable there but I would Pray for Rain to keep it cool and to prevent getting cooked, when the suns out its bloody roasting. Best of luck and enjoy the Island.

• Like 1

There is great Mexican Restaurant on the island - make sure you check it out.

Apart from that I really hope the race has improved this year & the weather gods are kind

So soft. I can't believe you haven't gone back to go sub 12

Where is said Mexican restaurant?? I love Mexican! Perhaps after the race though....

Thanks Spudmonkey, really can't wait to just get over there and get amongst it!

Where is said Mexican restaurant?? I love Mexican! Perhaps after the race though....

Thanks Spudmonkey, really can't wait to just get over there and get amongst it!

You go to Prickles in Parap often?

Wouldn't say often but have been a few times. Love it! There's also a Mexican joint in town at the waterfront. Food is average but sangria and cocktails are amazing!

Wouldn't say often but have been a few times. Love it! There's also a Mexican joint in town at the waterfront. Food is average but sangria and cocktails are amazing!

Are you talking about the marina area near the sky lift things?

We had the best tapas there after the race.

No somewhere in Darwin. But good to know where some good tapas can be found! I'll make a note of that, thanks!

Nath

You were telling me about the monkey zone on our ride last Saturday

Found out why they call it the monkey zone this morning on a bike course recce - riding along not a monkey to be seen - guy about 50m in front of me drops a spare tube off the back of his bike - out of nowhere a monkey jumps out in front of me grabs the tube and back into the bush - I'll be more aware of the monkeys on race day

So soft. I can't believe you haven't gone back to go sub 12

I'm not allowed! The good wife said NO FKN WAY are we going back to that race.

I did notice the transition are is indoors & air-conditioned....... Jabs was right Ironman has gone soft

Nath

You were telling me about the monkey zone on our ride last Saturday

Found out why they call it the monkey zone this morning on a bike course recce - riding along not a monkey to be seen - guy about 50m in front of me drops a spare tube off the back of his bike - out of nowhere a monkey jumps out in front of me grabs the tube and back into the bush - I'll be more aware of the monkeys on race day

Haha....that will make you ride thru there fast!

Best of luck by the way. We went in different directions last week before I realized.

Edited by Nath.

Just saw the swim course.

Start. 80 metres. Turn right.

Going to be ugly or is it a rolling start?

It's a rolling start - no sighting or navigation required as they have green buoys on your right every 5 m and red buoys on your left also on every 5 m that forms a channel approx 5 m wide - also pontoons for resting evenly spaced on the course - and yep IM is going soft