Mungo

IM Malaysia 2015

I am considering Ironman Malaysia in November. If anyone did it last year in Langkawi, can you please let me know your thoughts: ie getting there (from Sydney), where to stay, race advice (besides it's dam hot), getting around the place.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't stay in the hotel next to Transitions. Pay the stupid amounts of money & stay in the fancy hotel.

Taxi's will cost you a fortune. Ride hills

Fingers crossed they move the swim start (I heard a rumor it was moving)

If you find my heart, soul & dignity on the bike course, please return it.

• Like 1

To late I've already booked the De Baron but not expecting it to be flash from what I read.

Mungo, fly either Malaysian (probably cheapest) or Singapore Airlines (both have 30kg luggage allowance), I chose Singapore. I'm flying from Melbourne though.

I will be looking for Bored's heart and soul whilst I lose my own.

Great race & destination, I'd definitely recommend it. Plenty to see around the island, reasonably priced accom, cheap to drink, cheap to eat, the only significant costs were getting there & race entry. Flew Malaysian airlines from Brisbane via KL, you could probably get there cheaper with AIrAsia I guess.

Stayed at Dayang Bay resort, which was about 2k from the old transition, rooms were clean with a reasonable breakfast buffet included & had a great pool to keep the arms turning over pre race. The wifi being hit & miss was probably the only drama if that bothers you.

Just hire a car when you get there, worked out less than $20 a day & it made exploring the island so much easier. I got mine down near the Kuah ferry terminal but you could just grab one at the airport. All you need is your Aus drivers license & some cash. Don't organise a transfer from the airport, they'll be overpriced.

As for the race this year, they've changed the swim & I'm guessing transition too so will be different in that regard. The bike is hilly so adjust your gearing to suit, there won't be any packs at all due to the rolling start so nowhere to hide. I'd really work on it if you're heading over to be competitive.

The run last year was a death march for those off the bike early in the heat but it did cool down later on when it got dark. To put it in perspective I was on point to run sub 3'15 heading in but went 3'45 off a bike leg that i took very easy. That extra half hour was actually made up of hanging around in aid stations in survival mode. It's not one I'd go into with any major time goals. The race being 6 weeks later this year should make it more bearable though.

I haven't raced since so it definitely left it's mark on me.. funny thing is I'd still go back & do it all again, it was satisfying to make it through something that brutal & the island/people were awesome.

Just checked the course maps & they've moved it to the other side of the island. Totally different course. Kuah where it was last year is sort of the trashy side of the island, now it's based over near the beaches & resorts, much nicer. Swim will be in the pristine waters off a beach in between little islands, not the dodgy bay where the ferries come in. Bike will be pretty similar, still hilly & the run is around the airport right on the water. Over that side it didn't feel as humid last year being well away from the rainforest & you get the sea breezes coming off the ocean. It is a much better course & I'm seriously considering entering again now that I've seen it.

Freak you may want to revise your accom choice because you're a long way away from where you need to be.

What?!! When did they change the course, I checked a few weeks ago and it was still based in Kuah!! GJHGAJGGSAGHJSSGHAGSAGAKJSG

Now I have to change everything!

Probably a blessing in disguise, that hotel was terrible!!

Plenty more options over near the airport so I wouldn't be too worried about missing out.

Happy with the course change but annoyed that as a fully paid up competitor I had to learn via another means that it's changed. Hopefully I don't lose to much cash changing hotels.

I am considering Ironman Malaysia in November. If anyone did it last year in Langkawi, can you please let me know your thoughts: ie getting there (from Sydney), where to stay, race advice (besides it's dam hot), getting around the place.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Far out, I was thinking the exact same thing today! I was going to post at some point the same questions... good to know I'm not the only one!

Just checked the course maps & they've moved it to the other side of the island. Totally different course. Kuah where it was last year is sort of the trashy side of the island, now it's based over near the beaches & resorts, much nicer. Swim will be in the pristine waters off a beach in between little islands, not the dodgy bay where the ferries come in. Bike will be pretty similar, still hilly & the run is around the airport right on the water. Over that side it didn't feel as humid last year being well away from the rainforest & you get the sea breezes coming off the ocean. It is a much better course & I'm seriously considering entering again now that I've seen it.

Freak you may want to revise your accom choice because you're a long way away from where you need to be.

Thank god they moved it to the other side of the island. I remember riding past the crystal blue ocean & thinking "WTF didn't they swim out there"

Freak trust me you don't want to stay there. There is plenty of cheap accommodation on the other side of the island.

My mate is a big beer drinker & he struggled to find a brew on the ferry side of the island (muslim community)

• Like 1

I haven't raced since so it definitely left it's mark on me.. funny thing is I'd still go back & do it all again, it was satisfying to make it through something that brutal & the island/people were awesome.

I still cry at night when I think about it & how much it hurt. I trained the house down for it & was cooked by the time I got out the swim. It was like swimming in soup.

I haven't raced since & seriously considered never racing again.

Oh the painful memories..that race takes it toll thats for sure but overall its a nice location and was pretty relaxed. Good to mix it up with a holiday. Will definitely be better over the other side of the island - you may get out of the water with clean legs not three inches of mud down your shins like in Kuah. As others have said car hire is cheap as chips and pretty loose arrangements. My advice is the same as others get used to some hills, and train somewhere comparable to the heat there. I pray that they have changed the run too as that death march round the stadium still gives me nightmares.

Enjoy

Don't take an aero helmet, wear a road helmet, I brought a Louis Garneau one just for and was a godsend. As you need to tip water on your head to keep cool.

http://www.louisgarneau.com/in-en/product/827729/1405261/Cycling_Helmets/COURSE_CYCLING_HELMET

Roads are better than here to ride on, some hills on the bike so you must watch your power/effort so you don't cook yourself on the bike because as the other guys have said the run will be very miserable.

It is damn hot so find run shoes which drain well so when you tip water on yourself they can drain. Find good polyester socks which won't get wet & soggy such as the compress sport ones, your feet will thank you. I still lost 7 toenails even with these measures!

Don't set a time target as you will take at least 30 mins longer in the run even if you have a good race, those conditions will find the slightest chink in your fitness and preparation. I was aiming for 3:10-3:20 run and was on track at 12km, but the heat and things exploded somewhat to 3:50!

Find a way or product which you can get your nutrition via liquids as much as possible because it is so hot you dint feel like eating and this brought me undone.

Stay on the island for a good few days after and explore the place, we had a wonderful family holiday. Take the kids snorkelling from the Kuah yacht club, have dinner there one night too.

I can send you my bike file if you want to see the course profile.

Run is now 2 laps from the airport to pantai cenang and return. Looks pretty good.

Found a place to stay, all good. Glad someone mentioned it early!

If anyone funds Bored@s heart and soul can u have another look and find mine.

This course is very tough.

add mine to that list also

It will never be that hard again.

The new swim location & cooler time of the year. It will be an easy race now.

Not like the good old days when Ironman racing was hard.

• Like 5

Ha ha well said Bored. I did a few runs prior to the event from Pantai Cenang out towards the airport, it will be fairly boring (except for the odd paddy field and buffalo) but better than the old route. Maybe less support though when you're away from the town. One thing though its very exposed when you leave the town heading towards the airport, if the suns out in all its glory you need to take care. Like Nath says the roads are superb, very very smooth and quick, just monitor your power and don't get too excited like I did and end up dying on your ass on the run.

Not sure about the rolling start with a 2 lap swim course, being a strong swimmer I can see myself having to swim through a truckload of BOP in the 2nd lap if I go off in the first few swimmers....

Is there any other race out there that employs a rolling start multi lap course?

Not sure about the rolling start with a 2 lap swim course, being a strong swimmer I can see myself having to swim through a truckload of BOP in the 2nd lap if I go off in the first few swimmers....

Is there any other race out there that employs a rolling start multi lap course?

Yes. Lake Tahoe

It worked well. My mate swam a sub 1hr & had no problems.

That was another hard race, hills & snow. It will never be that hard again (they changed the bike course to remove the major climb)

I miss the good old days of hard Ironman courses.........

And make sure you chalk yourself in for lunch at the tapas joint at the marina on the west coast near the new race start!

2 for the price of 1 coronas, the freshest, cheapest and best tapas I've ever had......2 days post race, damn it was good!

And make sure you chalk yourself in for lunch at the tapas joint at the marina on the west coast near the new race start!

2 for the price of 1 coronas, the freshest, cheapest and best tapas I've ever had......2 days post race, damn it was good!

Stop it I'm tempted to enter again.

That sounds like my kind of recovery!

What did everyone do for food in the lead up to the race? Are there plenty of places to get your own supplies and cook? Or plenty of decent places to eat out and not be too concerned about gut problems etc?

I ate out to my detriment and lost a bit of weight in the lead up to the race if you know what I mean...if I had my time again over there I would cook, there was a big supermarket near to kuah jetty seemed to have a lot of stock, but its never going to be as easy as an Aus based race foodwise.

I ate out every meal & was sweet, even had sushi on the other side of the island the day before. Not the smartest choice in hindsight.. Mainly just went with deep fried options but I wasn't racing for sheep stations, it was a holiday for me so I treated it like one. Plenty more western style options near the new race venue.

The pro mate I was staying with went 'cooling foods' in the days prior, salads, fruit etc.. not a good idea over there, he was sweet at 8pm race eve then exploded from everywhere, ended up a DNS.

Kuah is the main town with the bigger shops and have a couple of shopping centres there. But the will be shopping centres in Penai cenang, which is near where the race will be this year.

I would advice booking an apartment with cooking facilities if you are with family as it just makes life easier. We did that so you don't have to go out for every meal, just buy cereal, milk, bread etc.

I ate out the whole time and I was there with a mind for a good result and Kona spot, I wasn't going to get carried away and ruin the family holiday. Race eve I cooked my own spag bol with stuff from the shops so I knew I would be ok.

The restaurants at the resorts and pentai cenang will be ok. They are so cheap too.

I think that if you stick to cooked meals and decent looking places you're ok, but it could still be the luck of the draw. My wife has a sensitive tummy and she had no problems except that msg meal, but even then it was not too bad.

I only noticed once that I was a bit queezy after a big dinner at the seafood market resteraunts in Kuah. They put msg in a lot of stuff and I think it was that. Even the table salt you buy says on the label "with added MSG" as if it a bonus!

If you are still not entered and thinking I would say go for it! It is a wonderful place and we had a holiday of a lifetime. I didn't let the race dictate the holiday and we all enjoyed it....and I got the Kona spot!

• Like 1

Hi all. Just found out about course change (from this forum - no notice from Ironman yet!!) I have booked at the Bayview Kuah but will have to change this. Has anyone got any advice for hotels? I am thinking it is best to look around Pantai Cenang close to the finish - hopefully there will be transport to the start on race morning?

Hi all. Just found out about course change (from this forum - no notice from Ironman yet!!) I have booked at the Bayview Kuah but will have to change this. Has anyone got any advice for hotels? I am thinking it is best to look around Pantai Cenang close to the finish - hopefully there will be transport to the start on race morning?

The organisers replied to my social media post and said they are organising shuttles but no details. Would be nice to be told directly of the change!

Any standout hotels/apartments in the new finish (?) area we should avoid?

Air conditioned T2 - they're pulling out all the stops this time

But they are going to have to employ bouncers to throw people out of the air conditioning in T2 and onto the run course!

Air conditioned T2 - they're pulling out all the stops this time

What the hell??? More proof IM has gone soft not like good old days when it was hard

So I am now registered for IM Malaysia! Lost almost $300 in the conversion process!!!! At $1k for my rego I hope there's some yummy food on course, a nice shirt and towel and please let there be other goodies!

$700 as I am ordering photos (636+70), plus processing fee = $750. I then lost $275 in currency conversion, then lost $30 in bank international processing fee. All up $1,050. I know I lost a good chunk in the conversion, but holy smokes that's a lot of money to 'participate'!

Anyone who has registered for the race should change some money to Malaysian Ringgit now, it's now 1AUD to 3RM.

Thanks Supamau, I'm never quite sure about those things when travelling overseas.

I'm about to book my accom. but can't decide whether to stay in a hotel/resort and eat out (at decent looking places), or a house from airbnb and be able to cook. It seems some on here are divided in terms of cooking vs eating out while over there last year. Are there some good supermarkets over there to get fresh food? Or would the decent looking restaurants be fine?

Thanks

I had sushi on that side of the island the day before the race, I survived.

Plenty of options & much cleaner/more tourist orientated over there compared to last years venue, you'll be fine, especially at one of the big beachside resorts.

add mine to that list also

Clintred ..... I think you lost more than your heart and soul over there. I'm pretty sure you don't even know what it was you lost!!!!

Thanks Supamau, I'm never quite sure about those things when travelling overseas.

I'm about to book my accom. but can't decide whether to stay in a hotel/resort and eat out (at decent looking places), or a house from airbnb and be able to cook. It seems some on here are divided in terms of cooking vs eating out while over there last year. Are there some good supermarkets over there to get fresh food? Or would the decent looking restaurants be fine?

Thanks

Can't go wrong with hotel or resort, as for eating up, probably might want to avoid roadside stalls before the race and stick to restaurants.

We stayed a few days on the nice side of the island before heading over to the hell hole that hosted the race.

The resorts are lovely & plenty of places to eat. From memory the prices were less then $15 for a good quality main.

I really hope the change in location & time of the year make this race a success.

• Like 1

Great, thanks!

From what I've been able to check out, the swim looks like it's in a much nicer location Bored@, so hopefully it's a good move.

The swim will be amazing, you'll actually be able to see what youre swimming in, and not come out with mud half way up your leg..

Agree I remember riding past the crystal clear blue water & thinking WTF didn't we swim there.

Agree I remember riding past the crystal clear blue water & thinking WTF didn't we swim there.

Weren't you in an ambo at that point?

So 6 weeks to go for IM Malaysia!

I'm a little worried as I've had a few poor weeks with some stuff going on. Have missed a couple big sessions, but hopefully I can still get some quality training in moving forward. Was keen to really give it a crack as my first IM, but I think now I'm keen to just get over the line in one piece.

How's everyone else going that's racing/participating Malaysia?