ironpo

How'd the prince qualify at cairns

Well according to TC in the entertaining Bahrain thread all the prince needed to do to qualifie for kona is to fininsh

Seeing the head is now locked has anyone got info on wether this is the case or not....?.

If it is I have bit of a problem if he just gets a walk up start

You get someone like RBR with a fantastic performance and a run time of 3-16 and "May " get a roll down

Then you've got an overweight dude with stacks of cash just getting giving a spot just because of who he is (I know they do celebrity spots at kona but I think this is a tad different as TC has claimed he WILL qualifie and I no reason not to believe her) and besides this bloke is hardely a celeb to most of the market that WTC are pushing IM too

Besides he could just buy one of the lottery spots and donate some of his we'll earned cash to a good cause

Please just keep this thread to the lines of the kona Q not the other topics that seem to float up with this fellow and and a lot of other threads on triathlon in ME (as entertaining as they are)

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

I'm hesitant to let this stay as it will probably go off the rails.

Play the man instead of the ball and the thread and (possibly you) will go.

Treat it as a hypothetical instead.

Anyway my 2c is that it happens every year. Ironman bring in celebs, NFL stars, celebrity chefs, TV stars etc all for their own reasons which I'm sure is to increase the audience. If they are trying to move into a new market in the Middle East then it may be a smart strategic move.

I'm hesitant to let this stay as it will probably go off the rails.

Play the man instead of the ball and the thread and (possibly you) will go.

Treat it as a hypothetical instead.

Anyway my 2c is that it happens every year. Ironman bring in celebs, NFL stars, celebrity chefs, TV stars etc all for their own reasons which I'm sure is to increase the audience. If they are trying to move into a new market in the Middle East then it may be a smart strategic move.

Yes roxi

I tried to word it so we can just discuss the handing out of well sort after kona spots to someone in my opinion (only) doesn't deserve it

Let's hope it can stay OT

Anyway as I said I don't think this is a celeb possie hand out as it's claimed he will qualifie (at cairns)

And also don't think he's a celeb to anyone in the west where most of WTCs. Punters live

Cheers

Ivp

Yes roxi

I tried to word it so we can just discuss the handing out of well sort after kona spots to someone in my opinion (only) doesn't deserve it

Let's hope it can stay OT

Anyway as I said I don't think this is a celeb possie hand out as it's claimed he will qualifie (at cairns)

And also don't think he's a celeb to anyone in the west where most of WTCs. Punters live

Cheers

Ivp

And also don't think he's a celeb to anyone in the west where most of WTCs. CURRENT Punters live

I think this will be the part they are trying to change. to grow the model they need a bigger audience, Middle East has plenty of cashed up people, next will be a Chinese celebrity spot to tap into the big possible market there.

If he was doing Cairns to "validate" as opposed to "qualify" then perhaps just the wording can make it better.

Plenty of others get to Kona through $$, celebrity status, promotion of WTC agenda etc - and most don't even need to validate in order to get there.

With the race expansion into those regions, I don't have a problem with it - it's a big promotional avenue.

I think the "qualify" statement was just based on TC's wording? Maybe validate would have been closer to the mark?

I'm more interested in knowing why the Prince hasn't bought WTC yet and shifted the entire island of Hawaii close to Bahrain to live, train and compete there.

I think we all get a little disappointed to see thing like this happen, however you have to keep in mind that he isn't taking a slot from anyone.

I'm not the biggest fan of these sorts of things happening and I also wonder why there is so much love/praise for this guy as well.

I don't know where you get the idea that he's an overweight dude. He looked pretty fit to me and was going very nicely every time I saw him. Don't know what time he did and don't really care.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Roxii you were very merciful to lock the other thread. I starting to feel sorry for TC.

I think we all get a little disappointed to see thing like this happen, however you have to keep in mind that he isn't taking a slot from anyone.

I'm not the biggest fan of these sorts of things happening and I also wonder why there is so much love/praise for this guy as well.

Have no problem either with these "celeb" spots as long as it's advertised as a free spot not all over the press as them "qualifying" or "earning" a spot.

Would Tony Abbott have been given a spot?

I didnt lock it but am glad the mods did.

Im getting pretty fed up with the whole argument really.

Yep.

If that guy from surf ironman (forgot his name) got a spot then TA would have.

I don't know where you get the idea that he's an overweight dude. He looked pretty fit to me and was going very nicely every time I saw him. Don't know what time he did and don't really care.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

He looked pretty bloated when he finished (just over 10 hrs) and other pics I've seen

Cheers

Ivp

Have no problem either with these "celeb" spots as long as it's advertised as a free spot not all over the press as them "qualifying" or "earning" a spot.

Only if he started to make some decent decisions in Parliament :smile1:

That's what I'm hopeing someone can tell me

The claim is he is qualifying which means he's taking a spot from a deserving other

Or is he being "given" a spot as a so called celeb ?

If that's the case then he's not qualifying as he's not good enough , still not sure why he just doesn't buy the lottery spot (or two)

Cheers

Ivp

Did he really have his own shooters following him in the water?

They were for the crocs lol

Cheers

Ivp

Every celeb spot given out takes a spot away from someone who could have qualified.

Every celeb spot given out takes a spot away from someone who could have qualified.

No it doesn't Rocket Salad. It's been stated time and time again on Podcasts including Firstoffthebike, The Real Starky and on Slowtwtich, that they already have a X number of spots for age groupers. These are often not completely filled at Kona either.

• Like 1

No it doesn't Rocket Salad. It's been stated time and time again on Podcasts including Firstoffthebike, The Real Starky and on Slowtwtich, that they already have a X number of spots for age groupers. These are often not completely filled at Kona either.

thats bullsh!t - if they wouldnt dish out these free spots - maybe even the great Dickie from the annals of western australia would have qualified...

• Like 1

Roxii you were very merciful to lock the other thread. I starting to feel sorry for TC.

Me too, a little, but she is baiting him.

Everyone else says just to block him, so why doesn't she?

Me too, a little, but she is baiting him.

Everyone else says just to block him, so why doesn't she?

I was sorry for her cause she was getting beaten to a pulp. He was all over her.

thats bullsh!t - if they wouldnt dish out these free spots - maybe even the great Dickie from the annals of western australia would have qualified...

I'm completely lost with what you just wrote. I think that the Celebs cheapen the sport, but that's just my opinion. I don't see the need for them. It's the same with those one hour highlights. I don't care about those sob stories. Give us more footage of the pros and not the age groupers.

• Like 1

Has to be remembered that Kona is the final of a privately owned race series.

They can fill the field as they want, and if the motivation is (as a simple example) to increase race coverage, which allows a hike to sponsor fees, resulting in bigger profits - and if the AG qualifiers are seen as taking second place to all that, then it is well within their rights to do so (note, that's how it is, not how I'd like it to be, speaking as a triathlete).

I'm thinking the same as The Turtle - 'validate' over 'qualify' here.

In a Macca interview on IM Talk(?) I'm sure he said that the prince didn't want a Kona spot unless he qualified on his own merit. Would be interested if that's not the case.

The latest PR from the Bahrain Endurance Team says :

Meanwhile, His Highness Shaikh Nasser Bin Hamad Al Khalifa just narrowly missed the 10-hour mark in the Ironman distance, but set a new personal record and a 7th place finish in his division. The team's hopes are high he will secure a slot for the Ironman World Championship at the rolldown ceremony.

Full article here:

http://transitions.org.au/index.php?a=310

He and his entourage were at rolldown. They took up the first three rows of seating. Not sure if he got a spot, but doubt it with 7th.

Could/would his "team" covertly pay the 6 faster than him to compensate them for not taking their spots? If someone were to offer me $10k to not take it (vs $5k cost to go) I know what I'd be doing...

He could pay them to allow a roll, then buy them an Ebay slot in return.

They both get to go, the Prince gets a legit qualifier.

Ooooh, if money was no option!

Why are people shocked that those with money get to do things others can't... or that a business owned by private equity employs self-promoting and self-advancing tactics?

There is no mythical fair playing field in triathlon. Either pro or age group - the ones with the money or the support to train and participate get to show off their genetic talents (which aren't fairly distributed either...)

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. Get some cash, go race another IM race & boom a free trip to Kona.

if he wants to pay his way through - then he wouldnt be doing the races.

He wants to legitimately qualify - without using his money - and still can't get any street cred in the eyes of the punter.

if he wants to pay his way through - then he wouldnt be doing the races.

He wants to legitimately qualify - without using his money - and still can't get any street cred in the eyes of the punter.

I assume so too, otherwise he would have already done it.

Just having some fun with the "what ifs" of having enormous financial resources.

Although it is hard to say "without using his money" in the full sense of that statement, when he would no doubt be using a hell of a lot of resources and facilities not available to the "common man"

Why are people shocked that those with money get to do things others can't... or that a business owned by private equity employs self-promoting and self-advancing tactics?

There is no mythical fair playing field in triathlon. Either pro or age group - the ones with the money or the support to train and participate get to show off their genetic talents (which aren't fairly distributed either...)

this is as close to the truth that I have ever seen written here on Trannie....

and good luck to the Prince for training, doing the work and trying to qualify.

and if on the way he can persuade Challenge or WTC to start new races in the Gulf that then create another area of triathlon opportunities...

well, all I can say is the Prince in his limited number of years in the sport has contributed a damn sight more than I have in my 30 years.

I'd be more than happy to welcome him at any race that I'll be participating in.

or Tony Abbot for that matter.

or Bill Shorten ( if he ever got onto a bike )

Putin..... maybe not, a man has to draw a line somewhere.....

Well, he was nearly an hour off "Qualifying" at Cairns. Interesting to know if he really was just "validating" or the whole thing was just a targetted wind-up by TC.

They could have a Royalty category, was he faster than Prince Frederik, that was the Dutch guy that married that lady from Tasmania, right?

What is this one the Prince of? I just googled "prince triathlon" but only saw Prince George Triathlon Club and Prince Edward Island...

He looked pretty bloated when he finished (just over 10 hrs) and other pics I've seen

Cheers

Ivp

You are deriding someone for finishing in just over 10hrs, and for being fat while doing it? I thought I had high expectations.

So, for anybody that was at roll-down this morning. Put an end to the speculation.

Did he qualify for any slots in any category?

hanging shit on him for going 10hours and change? thats not a bad result really. Its 3 hours quicker than the magical trannies 13h.
sounds like he still wants to legitimately qualify similiar to Danial Macpherson a few years ago, got to give that more respect than the Gordon Ramsay approach.

Just noticed roxii's post above and Googled his name.

Edited by Roxii.

See above mate this is about how he was to qualify only otherwise we end up like the other thread.

Cheers

What! No lock on this thread yet?

What were the Fresh Prince's splits and overall time?

I didn't read the other thread.

Those links in my post above are in the public domain, and the first few items in the search results when using the Princes name. Mods can remove them if they are going to cause problems... meh.

AL KHALIFA, Hh Sh. Nasser Bin Hamad

00:59:55 05:30:45 03:29:38 10:05:27

Dunno whether being 'a bit fat' is his main 'problem' given those splits - a 3:30 marathon at one of the weaker IM qualifiers - perhaps North America - may well be enough.

I'd say some more work on the bike and swim would yield dividends. Off to tri camp with Macca me thinks ...

I didn't read the other thread.

Those links in my post above are in the public domain, and the first few items in the search results when using the Princes name. Mods can remove them if they are going to cause problems... meh.

Not an attempt to censor stuff as such, but others will use it as an excuse to derail another thread.

hanging shit on him for going 10hours and change? thats not a bad result really. Its 3 hours quicker than the magical trannies 13h.

sounds like he still wants to legitimately qualify similiar to Danial Macpherson a few years ago, got to give that more respect than the Gordon Ramsay approach.

Not dissing on the effort (especially for a "fat guy"), but on the idea that he would qualify legitimately. Unless that 10hr+ time was a shocker for him, he's dreaming, at least for this year's race. I'm over 50 (not 25 like him) and hoping to have a shot in the next few years, and that's the time I'm aiming for. His AG you need to be looking at 9:15 to say "I'm going to Kona".

I'm not hanging crap on him for the 10 hrs , it's a top time but given he doesn't work and is fit and healthy .flying a private jet and can buy any type of advantage available then he should be going 10 And change or lower

This thread is about TCs claim that he was garrenteed a spot by qualifieing , which still hasn't been resolved as I didn't think there are any defence force spots at cairns, just melb

If he wanted to qualifie then go to the US , far easier over there to get a spot with a 10hr05 than in Australia where it's way harder here

Cheers

Ivp