Sign in to follow this  
TrinewB

Advice for MTB newB trying to qualify for Cross Tri worlds

Hi Guys, I want to have a crack qualifying for cross worlds in 2016 Lake Crackenback. I have zero mountain bike riding experience. and zero knowledge of the bikes and what to look for. never done and off-road triathlon.

I will be mainly getting my fitness road riding as I don't have a lot of time to travel to the the trails being in Sydney's eastern suburbs (unless you know of somewhere close?)

Firstly I need a bike. I can see the first debate is dual suspension vs Hardtail.......?

I would like a decent bike, so something that will not make it harder than it needs to be. I know a decent bike makes a difference in triathlon so I assume its the same? what should I be looking for in a bike?

Any good places to ride in sydney? any good people to learn from ? :notworthy:

what other gear is important in cross tri? do people wear MTB shoes or tri shoes?

cheers!

Geeze

Bike ask MTBnewbie

Have you considered a fatbike??

Wow, this thread could go on for ages , but you would need to spend $4-5k on a decent bike

Second hand is good but you need to know what you want/need first and also need to know what to look for in the 2nd hand bike weather it's been trashed

You need spd MTb shoes

I would think unless you a super natural talent then you have zero chance of qualifying unless you spend a lot of time riding on trails on your MTB

The thing that makes you good at MTBing is actually riding a MTB

So you can get your fitness on the road but you need the skill of riding a MTb bike by , yep you guessed it riding a mtb

MTb fitness is also a lot different to road fitness so again you need to ride your MTB

I'm the fittest person in the valley where I live but I get smashed on the technical bits of the trails by dudes way less fitter than me

I make up plenty of time on the climbs but it's just different and I ride MTb a lot but they ride every day

Also depends how technical the course will be, I've done a few Xcross tris and the course have never been to technical but the WC course may be a bit harder

Now you get into HT or dulie

I'd go HT if I where you they will be faster espually if the course is not so technical but you will get many views on this (tubbies V clincher type question)

29er or 27.5

Again depend what bike you buy and how tall you are, if you aren't too tall then dual lie 27.5 but HT 29er all the way

Don't buy a 26inc bike

If you want value for $$$$ then go giant (I hate giant but there mtb are pretty good)

Trek superfly are fantastic and one of the best bikes you can get (ht or DS)

If you have stacks of $$ then go Santa Cruz (drool)

1x11 or 2x 11/10

Unless your gunna climb Everest then go 1 x11 it just works

Don't get SRAM brakes there crap, just ask em to put Shimano XT on what ever you buy

Best thing to do is to find a few dudes who ride MTb and try there bikes and see what style/size and type of bike set up you like (ht or DS)

Trek and giant have demo days where you can try all there bikes out , maybe google them

Just go into a trek or giant specific shop and talk to the MTBing dudes there

But make sure it's a MTBing specific shop , with cool dudes with beards Nd long sloppy shorts

Not road riding tosses

But you gotta get out and ride MTB and a warning you will love it and wonder why you spent all this time risking getting killed every time you ride on the road when you could be MTBing on fantastically fun trails and dirt tracks

Enjoy and welcome to fun

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

Wow I think that's the biggest thing I've ever written

Probably doesn't make sense thoughLOL

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 2

wow !! thanks ironpo thats helpful!

now "zero chance of qualifying "really motivates me!! I like a challenge.

So it looks like for the triathlon cross type its the Hardtail then?

what sort of money am I looking at spending here ? I ride a look 596 TT bike was worth 9 k when I bought it but I paid half that!!

so tell me the good ones and I will hunt for a bargain.

Carbon I guess the way to go?

I am exactly 6 ft so I guess medium in most bikes right ?

what is considered a good weight for MTB these things seem pretty heavy from what I have seen.

Thanks heaps !

Shit

I just wrote out another novel and I lost it

Mate I wasn't negative with the zero chance of Q comment and I hope you do it but I would think u need to ride your new MTBing a bit more than you think to go well enough in the race

I love HT and I'm sure you will get plenty of different advice V dual lie and HT so best to get out there and ride a couple and see what u like but it's pretty hard to beat a top quality carbon HT these days

Trek

Spez

Norco

Santa Cruz for a DS

Giant (if you have too)

Trek is the go , they are the king of top end 29 HT, great bike top value for $$$$$ and avaialble everywhere

At six foot I would think you would be on a large

I'll post a couple of links in another post so I don't loose this one again

Maybe google HT verses DS or go to some MTB forums

Good luck

Cheers

Ivp

Not sure how a 9-10k bike is appropriate for someone with zero MTB experience!Trek = good value... too funny!

He said he could spend $9k (or look for a bargin on a $9k bike )and are just a guide

For him to look around

And I'm sure he is welcoming your helpfull tips

Cheers

Ivp

He said he could spend $9k (or look for a bargin on a $9k bike )and are just a guide

For him to look around

And I'm sure he is welcoming your helpfull tips

Cheers

Ivp

No need to get narky! I must have missed the part about 9k budget! He is a dentist after all - silly me! :) Edited by Chookman

I'm not looking to qualify for anything however I am looking at getting into mountain biking given that I have a 4km flowy track outside my back door at Uni plus Bathurst has been investing some good money into their MTB park which is a bit longer I think. I honestly have no idea where to start however I don't have an large amount of cash to spend on a bike.

I was thinking of picking something in these half yearly sales, however I guess supporting my LBS would be a good option given I have no clue in case something goes wrong. They stock; Specialized Cannondale, Focus and Merida. Is there anything there in those options that is a good bang for buck?

Edited by alexholbrook

I use the goal to qualify as a motivator to keep me going. 9k is what my bike was worth but HELL I AINT SPENDING THAT I got it for half price.

but I am saying is stuff entry level shit as I can appreciate that quality in bikes does make a difference so I am now looking for a second hand bargain or one in the sales.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Tnb, if you go a hardtail, get a carbon frame, xt components and tubeless ready rims. Avoid any bike with fox evolution series forks as they are crap! The dampers regularly self destruct! You should be able to get this type of spec for less than 4k

• Like 1

Ironpo's point re: technical skills is very important. I know two guys local to me that have about a 4min Oly bike leg differential which is reversed to the tune of about 7mins at Xterra (without looking up exact splits). Purely technical bike skills. It is massive, especially if someone is a novice off road. You will have to find some trails and hit them to do yourself justice on race day.

yes this will be interesting getting the skills up. I will have to try a few MTB events as well I guess?

My advice would be full suspension XC bike e.g. Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic, Felt Epic type bikes. These are generally lighter than most All Mountain or Trial MTB's. The reason for running Full suspension is that the grip and ride should be better, and it is just more comfortable and enjoyable (remove Fat Bikes from the comparison or Hard tail v FS, as I have no real experience riding them, but want to)

Components run as SLX = 105, XT = ultegra,

Don't be afraid to by a second hand bike, like road bikes a bit of knowledge will tell you if it is worn out. A lot of MTBs just do the coffee run and are very good value second hand.

If the course is similar to xterra or the NZ qualifying course this year they are not super technical but flowing and climbing courses. Unfortunately the only way to get good at MTBing is to ride on trials.

I use the goal to qualify as a motivator to keep me going. 9k is what my bike was worth but HELL I AINT SPENDING THAT I got it for half price.

but I am saying is stuff entry level shit as I can appreciate that quality in bikes does make a difference so I am now looking for a second hand bargain or one in the sales.

Thanks for the advice guys!

there are plenty of options around. Giant are probably the best bang for your buck; however they don't have a higher level 29er hardtail ATM. The XTC 29er 1 has SLX running gear and Fox evolution forks which as I said earlier are rubbish. The Scott Scale 910 is another option. Full XT, tubeless ready with a fox factory fork. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/29er-mountain-bikes/scott/nsw/goulburn/scale-910/102709694

Hey CM, I have an XTC29er Which is about 4 years old. I have often suspected my forks are rubbish but as my only MTB had no real reference point. For example, they no longer rigidly lock out. What else are tell tale signs with those particular forks?

Hey CM, I have an XTC29er Which is about 4 years old. I have often suspected my forks are rubbish but as my only MTB had no real reference point. For example, they no longer rigidly lock out. What else are tell tale signs with those particular forks?

Diamonds, the o/c damper is the problem. Prior to 2013 they were regularly self destructing; however Fox claimed to have fixed the problem by drilling 4 small breather holes in the top of the damper to relieve excess pressure. It improved the problem; however they still regularly blow the end cap off if you lock you r fork out and take several repeated hits (ie, if you forget to take the lock off before a downhill section). When this happens you'll know about it as your fork will have no dampening effect and will just be like a pogo stick. The problem is that the damper bottom cap is held in place with a single spiral clip which is totally inadequate for the job. After blowing mine apart 3 times, I did a frankefix and drilled 2 holes and inserted 2 very small screws and filed the heads down slightly so the damper would fit inside the stanchion... I've had no problems since. Your problem sounds like you may have low oil in your damper. If you can still adjust your rebound then your damper is working. Being 4 years old, I'm not 100% sure if you have this style of damper or not.

Cheers

C

• Like 1

TrinewB, why not try and get on the Egyptian team again ;-) ? If my wife lets me do it, I will go for The Netherlands again (assuming they haven't filled their quota yet, which they shouldn't).

Now, to add to the original post. I bought a dual suspension Specialized, mainly because I also want to do some longer MTB events (50km, 12hr / 24hr races etc). In the long run, it will be more comfortable. Not necessary for most off road tri's though, I'd guess. Having said that, most if not all the guys I know who do off road tri's (at amateur level) ride DS bikes. The pro's ride hardtails... If you're not going to win the race you might as well be a bit comfortable. Disclaimer, I've never ridden a hardtail...

2nd tip: run offroad. A lot. It's much tougher than I thought it would be, especially after 30km of MTB fun... To give you an idea, I would normally be able to run say 45mins in an OD, during the QLD off road champs it was over 1 hr...

It's a lot of fun though!