Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

The Expat Thread.

The company has announced an upgrade of the gym equipment 10 x Concept II rowing machines are on their way. :wink1:

• Like 3

At last!! After 6 months of rigmarole and hoop jumping with the bank, we finally have a loan approved!! I certainly won't be doing that again.

On 22/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, Ironnerd said:

The company has announced an upgrade of the gym equipment 10 x Concept II rowing machines are on their way. :wink1:

Just need an endless pool, new treadmill and Kickr and you have the perfect training environment, just like Lionel Sanders. It’s even cold and snow bound in winter 😂 

Not sure what you want me to say? Sounds like the SMH 'journo' needs to do get his facts straight before reporting on Iranian influenced propaganda.

57 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Not sure what you want me to say? Sounds like the SMH 'journo' needs to do get his facts straight before reporting on Iranian influenced propaganda.

So summary execution is A OK? Wow. I reckon you can come home now. I’m sure Ubergroupenfuhrer Peter Dutton has a job for you channelling Leni Riefenstahl in the Uber Department of Home Affairs. Fancy a 2 week trip to the exotic tropical paradise of Nauru with your new BFF, SkyNews ‘It’ girl Laura Jayes? ... 

A grand total of 5 criminals have been executed in BH in the past 10 years. Although I am against the death penalty, making issue of Bahrain's record seems petty in comparison to China (1,000 to 2,000 per year) and the USA (currently 3,035 on death row).

I live on the boundary of Diraz, a Bahraini village of Shia Muslims who, under the influence of Iran, think it's ok to blow up policemen, block the road to my home with burning tires, antagonise the police by paying small children to throw molotov cocktails at police officers and trash their own streets in protest of the so called 'unjust' government who can't give out free houses quick enough to keep them happy.

Sounds like the script for Triumph of the Spirit II - the inspirational story of one woman’s struggle to get that essential brick workout done in the face of rabid Shia children ...

Edited by Andrew #1

13 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Just need an endless pool, new treadmill and Kickr and you have the perfect training environment, just like Lionel Sanders. It’s even cold and snow bound in winter 😂 

Rowers have arrived. New treadmills have arrived. New exercise bikes have arrived, still mechanical with no screen though.

row2.jpg.a887836e35e89ea656eff96d34a73e84.jpg

10 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Sounds like the script for Triumph of the Spirit II - the inspirational story of one woman’s struggle to get that essential brick workout done in the face of rabid Shia children ...

Funny but true. Running through tear gas is quite a challenge.

So anyone with experience in the MENA region able to share some information around leaving service benefit?  We know the legislation in each country, and accrue for it accordingly, however have some managers stating that the legislation "is just a starting point" and "each departing employee negotiates their own payment amount".  Might be a bit more believable if it wasn't for the fact the senior managers have a tendency to hire from their own areas.  We currently have the Egyptian manager complaining about the Syrian manager hiring too many Syrians, and vice versa.  Would be great if anyone has some experience on the local practices in this regard they can share.

UAE is a bit inconsistent with gratuity. It can depend on your Visa job title. Some domestic/labour jobs have none. I know some private sector professionals who receive nothing first year then a flat 4 weeks when they leave. I work for Federal government and get 1 month per year for first 5 years, 1.5 for years 6-9 and 2 months for every year after. This is as per the contract I received when starting which was for perm employment so not renegotiated ever. Pay is separate and covered by Federal HR policy for regrading etc. I believe in Qatar expat fed govt have similar but capped at 500k Qatar ryals. Some airlines have a different set up with a provident fund which is like a superannuation accumulation fund.

The only specific example I have for someone who has above the minimum which for her is zero, is our nanny who after 8 years is retiring and we agreed at the start we would pay her 1x what we paid her in her first month (which is half of what she gets now) per year. This is not in her employment contract (yearly) but is purely a good faith agreement.

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like 1

The same as a full time accountant in their country. Plus full board and medical. Plus 28 days holiday plus 1x flight per year.

Edited by Mike Honcho

6 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

The same as a full time accountant in their country. Plus full board and medical. Plus 28 days holiday plus 1x flight per year.

Where are they from? 

27 minutes ago, beginnergirl said:

... are you missing the cows, the red dirt and Aussie Wildlife? 

The dirt here is grey not red and instead of seeing kangaroos and emus I see lots of gazelles and camels. 

Funnily enough yesterday the bus I was on had a near miss with a herd of cows. It did make me think of my old boss. :huh:

What I really miss is being warm and fruit. Four weeks without fruit is too long. The first thing I eat when I get to Hong Kong is an apple.

I am really enjoying working here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

yes yes and yes. You know what the kids back home want to hear - a dollar value. Let em know how cheap these people work for.

2 hours ago, The Customer said:

yes yes and yes. You know what the kids back home want to hear - a dollar value. Let em know how cheap these people work for.

As expats know, it's all relative. Having been back in India for the last 12 months, you really know why so many of them are living in the Gulf - and don't want to come back!

26 minutes ago, softy said:

As expats know, it's all relative. Having been back in India for the last 12 months, you really know why so many of them are living in the Gulf - and don't want to come back!

Indeed, currently working through a transfer from Malaysia to Singapore, going to cost us almost double to have the same person do the same job, just in another country.  Will their standard of living double?  Not likely

11 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Indeed, currently working through a transfer from Malaysia to Singapore, going to cost us almost double to have the same person do the same job, just in another country.  Will their standard of living double?  Not likely

Come back to Aus. Unlikely you’ll be able to afford hired help at all. 😳