Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

The Expat Thread.

When I say 'shit-hole country' what I really mean is developing country. And usually it means a lot of poverty, crime and religion has a lot of influence on society.

So why would you live, go there? Well 'learning about the culture' loses its attraction after a while and the truth is the attraction is cheap labour. It's simply the pay off for having to deal with the craziness (shit-hole-ed-ness) of living in a developing country. Seems like it's only HK and Singapore that have sorted it where the country is developed, the locals are sophisticated but you get cheap help. Let me know if you know of any others.

See it all the time in Bali with Aussie bogans having 3 full time helpers for a pittance.

It's cool but at the end of the day you've got to walk out the front gate some time and share space with the community. I hated Bali, can't even go for a run or bike ride without rabid dogs or locals hassling you.

You get it in Japan with our massage business. Jeez better in Indo you get a massage for five bucks, who wants to pay $80. Well get food poisoning, robbed and deal with chaos and harassment you deserve your these massage.

Real Estate people are the worst, thinking they can charge developed country prices in developing countries - 'check out the view'. I ain't buying it.

For me there is a massive line in the sand between developing countries and developed. Personally I never want to live in a developing country, for many reasons.

Saudi Arabia was a paradise to me. After a few years adjustment and specifically after the Gulf War 1991, they modernized and westernized more,,,1991---2005-6, golden years, That's around the time internal unrest started, and the tensions crept back into daily life.

"Shit-hole countries etc": Saudi doesn't fit your description, Somalia, Sth Sudan, Yemen, Egypt, Palestine, Burma, Bangladesh, Pakistan, fill 'em all in.....oil producing states would not be, Iraq and Iran would not normally be but circumstances have gone against them.

Edited by Kamal2

I don't think Bahrain fits your poverty criteria either. There are virtually no homeless people here, in fact the government gives away houses to its citizens, crime rate is low - I don't need to lock my house or car and the government is very moderate - it donates to all denominations to make sure everyone is free to worship who and whatever they want. From what I can see, tony Abbott forces his Catholic views on aus more than the Bahraini gov does. That being said, If the government ever changes to the model Iran wanto things will change.

Edited by The Customer

No doubt the cleaning lady on 6 bucks a week is better off than doing what ever meagre thing she would do in her own country. Expats on high paying jobs helping an absolute monarchy have a wonderful time while an import with low skills slaves away for 6 bucks a week and that's okay as it's the market there and you pay them some more.

Take your gender gap of 17 % it's the market why should I pay more. It's not true, but how you can morally pay slave wages and pat your self on the back beggars belief. The shia majority don't share your love of things there, torture killings etc.

If they one day rise up and I wonder how you will feel when someone says see that chador and work, well women don't get to do that, you know market forces, we are not going to let you do anymore just so we can sleep at night.

I can't recall a Muslim screaming in my face to get the **** out of their country on the bus.......

did you miss the buses in Iran 1979

No doubt the cleaning lady on 6 bucks a week is better off than doing what ever meagre thing she would do in her own country. Expats on high paying jobs helping an absolute monarchy have a wonderful time while an import with low skills slaves away for 6 bucks a week and that's okay as it's the market there and you pay them some more.

Take your gender gap of 17 % it's the market why should I pay more. It's not true, but how you can morally pay slave wages and pat your self on the back beggars belief. The shia majority don't share your love of things there, torture killings etc.

If they one day rise up and I wonder how you will feel when someone says see that chador and work, well women don't get to do that, you know market forces, we are not going to let you do anymore just so we can sleep at night.

Bev, what is your main point here, inequitable wages, slave labor?

The Customer has has clarified her first post, $3-4 dollars per hour rounded out to $6 per hour, I paid about that with perks, but it's USD, the favored convertible currency. That's around $50/day, $300/week, $1200/month, for a part timer.

Part time domestic helper $1200/month, lets call it $1000/month.

That's $1000/month working PART TIME but full time hours, vs $400 up to $800/ month as I paid, see also Plaz.

$1000 month =44,500 Philippino pesos, that's about x 10 the national average salary in the Philippines and if you transfer that to Indonesia or Bangladesh it would would be more than 50 times the national per capital salary. Quoted on a monthly basis.

So as I see it Bev,this is a thread about ex pat life, yet you yourself have not experienced that. So what's your point of reference, Aussie Labour Law?

But let's say I track your point all the way through using logic.Your point has nothing to do with absolute monarchies in the Middle East. If you have any complaint, it should be on the gov'ts of Third World Countries who encourage there citizens to get out and work in overseas jobs paying a hard currency.

Follow it more. In Sri Lanka the export of tea has never been off the top sas far as beeing the top revenue earner for the country in terms of hard currency USD. This was surpassed by remittance of OFW salaries well over 20 years ago.

Edited by Kamal2

Didn't live in Iran in 79 but nice try bro. For a foreigner that is a pretty Aussie attitude.

Agree with Plaz, ref you Bev. You really have really no clue here on the subject, no clue at all what you are talking about.

Edited by Kamal2

Agree with Plaz, ref you Bev. You really have really no clue here on the subject, no clue at all what you are talking about.

Given your previous thread celebrating how you could exploit the locals in Manilla, and now expats celebrating how great they are for paying slave labour, I'm not surprised at your response.

My idea, paying somebody 6 bucks a week is criminal regardless of the local context. When I lived in DC I had some mexican cleaners. I paid them the award rate that I wold pay in ox unlike the other expats who loved the 3 bucks an hour.

Your right I have no idea why anyone would think it's great getting fat of a totalitarian regime that tortures and rules with a n iron fist. And then celebrates paying imported and local labor SFA.

I hope the shias take over

don't mention the cheap domestic help

Nah, I've got a wife for that.....

Edited by Buggeracup

Given your previous thread celebrating how you could exploit the locals in Manilla, and now expats celebrating how great they are for paying slave labour, I'm not surprised at your response.

My idea, paying somebody 6 bucks a week is criminal regardless of the local context. When I lived in DC I had some mexican cleaners. I paid them the award rate that I wold pay in ox unlike the other expats who loved the 3 bucks an hour.

Your right I have no idea why anyone would think it's great getting fat of a totalitarian regime that tortures and rules with a n iron fist. And then celebrates paying imported and local labor SFA.

I hope the shias take over

Quote back to me what I said about Manila please. It does not sound like me.

paying somebody 6 bucks a week......Bev this is the second time I'm correcting you.

FOR ****'S SAKE......IT'S $6 per hour, Customer corrected that. Read her subsequent post.

When I lived in DC I had some mexican cleaners. I paid them the award rate that I wold pay in ox unlike the other expats who loved the 3 bucks an hour. Bev, that's the law, what does it have to do with the topic.

I lived in Maryland for a while, that hardly fits the description of "ex pat" life.

Esp me with a US Passport :sly:

Edited by Kamal2

Quote back to me what I said about Manila please. It does not sound like me.

paying somebody 6 bucks a week......Bev this is the second time I'm correcting you.

FOR ****'S SAKE......IT'S $6 per hour, Customer corrected that. Read her subsequent post.

why bother

Edited by BarryBevan

So you don't back up what you are paraphrasing and crediting back to me?

So I scanned it myself, you ain't got nothing, there was nothing there.

You topic is "Human Rights", why not start that?

So you don't back up what you are paraphrasing and crediting back to me?

So I scanned it myself, you ain't got nothing, there was nothing there.

You topic is "Human Rights", why not start that?

I am leaving it alone as it was all written by you in a thread you asked to be deleted

Edited by BarryBevan

Thread was sabotaged, Moderators deleted it, I appealed and got it reinstated. The naughty bits did not come from me, but I may have responded.

Again you may paraphrase what I said on "celebrating how you could exploit the locals in Manila"......I would not do anything like or think about it, or comment on it, but remind me what I did say

As for the final post in that topic, I asked the poster to delete that comment and Mods to ban/suspend that person. Mods don't tell me what they do, but I have not seen the person since...

Thread is still open.

Edited by Kamal2

Western countries have double standards regarding the death penalty to justify going to war with a country over oil. It's easier to convince people in the USA that going to war against a country that executes 'innocent' women is ok.

China carry out the most executions, with estimates of the numbers being in the thousands in recent years. But we love China, right? All that cheap labour lets Aussies manufacture off-shore and increase their profit margin.

But human rights issues are always dragged out to justify 'oil wars' on Middle Eastern countries.

After China, Iran, Iraq, Saudi and then the USA have the highest execution rates - I'm sure the USA have women on death row. Japan still has the death penalty too BTW.