Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions with Ex-Hasbeen

This thread also explains my confusion in the Winter Fish thread as to why a guy would be complaining about 'only' doing 16 minute kms. Haha. Good read.

Good question ex about the social aspects of the tri seen .

Do the pros put the race winnings on the bar still...

Club champs has a good party are there any more races around that have that feel?

I'm finally starting to catch up on stuff I've missed... This is a great read.

Really enjoyed reading your story Ex and have a funny feeling that it's not over yet. You won't need to go Sub 10 to get to Kona this time so it's definitely still well within your reach. Just take it easy on that knee, stay positive and keep moving forward until you're ready to have a crack. In the meantime you've got some wonderful memories to keep you company so just keep enjoying what you are doing and start writing the next chapter!

Edited by Go Easy

Love this bit of advice for others who are looking to improve...

I think most Triathletes who are MoP or back of FoP, don’t realise how deep you really can go if you want to. You just have to want to, and the best way to find out just how deep you can go is by racing.

Agree totally. Some people just don't know how to go hard enough.

Love this bit of advice for others who are looking to improve...

Agree totally. Some people just don't know how to go hard enough.

I live by that one GE. Sometimes it turns out bad (easy to get hurt) but generally it's for the best.

Funniest time was surging against a good mate (we trained together in Bunya Forest every week) from about 500m from the finish at Boyne Island. He was actually a slightly faster runner than me, but I don't think he had enough mongrel. I slightly eased with about 200m to go, ready for a final kick, I got that funny feeling in the stomach and had a bit of a heave. It put him off more than me and I was able to get away from him from that point.

You just have to want it more than him.

Yep... 'Wanting It More', 'Finding The Mongrel', 'Digging Deeper', 'Drawing on that Inner Strength' and 'Busting a Gut' etc... there's lots of ways to say it, but I think you nailed it!

There's definitely an increased risk of injury or permanent damage, but that's just the risk you take when you are 'pushing the limits' (there's another one!). I suppose that's often why some people succeed at getting the best out of themselves and some people don't. It's probably also the reason why some people check out of the sport earlier than others. I've seen it written on here many times by the successful ones that it's often harder to hold back than it is to push hard. You (and I suppose myself as well) need to learn to get back into it gently and not over do it. We'll get there!