trek52

The 13 hour rule

Stop entertaining him. You don't get it unless you've done it.

Fortunately the race isn't restricted to those that are "fit, able, male under 50".

How boring would that be!

In a way I believe that if you are fit, healthy, under 50, have plenty of time to train correctly for Ironman, don't get injured are built for endurance sport and have a good day with no unexpected issues, mechanicals or nutrition problems then YES you probably should go under 13.

But the stupidity of the statement is in knowing that not everyone who enters fits the criteria. Im sure lots of people would love to fit the criteria but hey Life gets in the way, and for those not naturally gifted then dropping the ball in any one of these criteria can bring it all undone.

Enjoy the training (however much you can do) Enjoy the race, Enjoy the lifestyle.

As a spectator I have to say its a damn sight more enjoyable and emotional to see an ecstatic late finisher than a super serious fast finisher.

Wonder if golf clubs have people saying if you have a handicap of over 4 you shouldn't be playing??

• Like 2

In a way I believe that if you are fit, healthy, under 50, have plenty of time to train correctly for a sub-13 hr finish of an Ironman, don't get injured are built for endurance sport and have a good day with no unexpected issues, mechanicals or nutrition problems then YES you probably should go under 13.

I'd take that another step.

I don't meet a few of them...... like being male.

But I know I train correctly for Ironman. Ironman is a 3.8k swim, 180km bike and a 42km run within a 17 hr time limit. I train for that. I don't train for a 13hr finish. But by the rules, a 13 hr finish is not the definition of the event.

training the house down for 12 weeks is different to training for 40-48 weeks of the year, you spend a large amount of time getting fit enough to train for the event if its only 12 weeks of consistent training.
doesnt mean you have to train for it all year, but it is a lot easier if you are fit and ready to train for it when its time.

12 weeks of hard effort is not going to find someones potential. It doesnt mean they havent worked hard for it, but it is not the greatest indication of what they are capable of.

As pointed out earlier too head space on race day and execution are a large part of it. Being hard enough mentally to get close to potential or do what feels awful is quite tough and again seperate to someone putting in hard in training.

Wonder if golf clubs have people saying if you have a handicap of over 4 you shouldn't be playing??

At my club it is 24. You have to show your handicap card or do an evaluation with the pro. I would equate a legit 24 handicap (no gimme, mulling an or fluffing) to somewhere around a 13 hour IM.

Better stick to Ironman then :lol: 11 finishes all under 13 but my last flog handicap was 26

• Like 1

Turtle I doubt you even train :P

13 hour rule does not say that a 13+ isn't a 'finish' it just says your weren't one of the criteria.

If you think you're fit, able and under 50 but you are going 13+ you are kidding yourself.

This isn't about racing or being a 'tri elitist' or what ever the turtles/goughys of the world want to call it.

Prizna, just because you put :P on the end of your statement, doesn't mean that it's not insulting. :-)

training the house down for 12 weeks is different to training for 40-48 weeks of the year, you spend a large amount of time getting fit enough to train for the event if its only 12 weeks of consistent training.

doesnt mean you have to train for it all year, but it is a lot easier if you are fit and ready to train for it when its time.

12 weeks of hard effort is not going to find someones potential. It doesnt mean they havent worked hard for it, but it is not the greatest indication of what they are capable of.

As pointed out earlier too head space on race day and execution are a large part of it. Being hard enough mentally to get close to potential or do what feels awful is quite tough and again seperate to someone putting in hard in training.

I hope you are right.

After Malaysia I took a few months off (my mind was shot & decided to retire from IM), put on 11kg & got back on the beers.

Decided in December it was time to have another crack at IM.

Training Volume

December - 43hrs

January - 54hrs

Feb - 40hrs

Mar -37 hrs

April - 21hr (family problems & the flu)

Mainly bike miles with a few swims & runs (no running over 10km) Dropped 13kg & already below my last race day weigh in.II don't start my official training program till early June. Just training when I want to & having fun. Going back to using a coach & actually doing some core work for this IM prep.

Every other IM I have started official training over weight & tried to drop kg's while in heavy training. The plan for this race is to get lean so I can concentrate on fuelling & eating correctly to recover. I'm also going to stop weighing myself all the time & go to a monthly weigh in.

Prizna, just because you put :P on the end of your statement, doesn't mean that it's not insulting. :-)

Turtle I doubt you even train.

I guess I just don't get the 'kidding' yourself attitude. But, there's no mystery here that I'm not here to prove anything, not here to race. Just wanna have fun. I guess I'm just not one of the type A's.

Saying that, the training I think I could do one day I think I could go under 13 hours. But it wouldn't be the yardstick I use to measure my day.

13 hour rule does not say that a 13+ isn't a 'finish' it just says your weren't one of the criteria.

If you think you're fit, able and under 50 but you are going 13+ you are kidding yourself.

This isn't about racing or being a 'tri elitist' or what ever the turtles/goughys of the world want to call it.

touchedum.jpg

A bit like AP used to do.

it's not a measurement of your ability or commitment or level or joy or level of accomplishment in the event. A finish is a finish.

The kidding yourself was in regards to you are not fit or able bodied or under 50.

• Like 1

AP is often seen as cruel. I tend to read him as honest and direct.

• Like 1

The kidding yourself was in regards to you are not fit or able bodied or under 50.

Nope, just checked my drivers licence. Definitely under 50.

Nope, just checked my drivers licence. Definitely under 50.

You train lots so you must be fit.

Maybe you're female - This video may help

You train lots so you must be fit.

Maybe you're female - This video may help

MjAxMi0yNDlkMWEzODRkNjk0NGZh.png

At my club it is 24. You have to show your handicap card or do an evaluation with the pro. I would equate a legit 24 handicap (no gimme, mulling an or fluffing) to somewhere around a 13 hour IM.

Actually, I'd say the golf equivalent of this discussion is the elusive hole in one! Some believe a hole in one only counts of you did it during a comp round. If it was during a social round with mates, it doesn't count. Believe me, it can be a heated discussion. I've seen a forum splinter and a whole new one created because of that discussion!

Well I guess we just have different ideas of what fit is. I know plenty of people I would consider fit and healthy, yet couldn't do a half im, let alone a full.

By the way, I have no issues with people having different ideas than mine! If I did, I'd be in a lot of strife cause I have some whacked out ideas some times ;)

I think the most important thing is that if you are slower than me, you are worthless and as I am faster than you, you should be worshipping me.

If you are faster than me then you are a serious insect and probably have heaps of times to train, are doping, have no balance to your life and a bunch of other really valid reasons that are excuses when you use them.

Also if you have done something moderately well that I have never done, then I would smash you if I did it, but I probably never will because of valid reasons that of course would be excuses if you used them.

Why soar like an Eagle when all you have to do is convince everyone else they are Turkeys.

Now to find the right emoticon to capture all that.

:pepsi: I like this one because I like Pepsi.

That is up there for post of the year already.

:lol:

• Like 1

I think the most important thing is that if you are slower than me, you are worthless and as I am faster than you, you should be worshipping me.

If you are faster than me then you are a serious insect and probably have heaps of times to train, are doping, have no balance to your life and a bunch of other really valid reasons that are excuses when you use them.

Also if you have done something moderately well that I have never done, then I would smash you if I did it, but I probably never will because of valid reasons that of course would be excuses if you used them.

Why soar like an Eagle when all you have to do is convince everyone else they are Turkeys.

Nice one Naut.

:smoke:

I don't care how long people take or what their body fat percentage is, kudos to anyone that does an IM.

Sure, many people could go faster if they lost 10kg or did some mental training or whatever it might be. But if they're happy taking 16.59.59, then I'm happy for them too.

Brilliant stuff.

Roxii can you please increase the quota on positive votes? There's been so much quality stuff lately I keep running out.

Brilliant stuff.

Roxii can you please increase the quota on positive votes? There's been so much quality stuff lately I keep running out.

You know I actually did that a few weeks back!!

• Like 2

Sorry been away a few days Mrs back in hospital.... You blokes are like fish in a barrel, it is all good fun though.

One day I might kit up in speedos, postie bike and volleys and go sub 13....

• Like 3

Brilliant stuff.

You know I actually did that a few weeks back!!

Can you also add an unlike button? That'd be awesome too.

If a person gets enough unlikes, they can be voted off like a cross between Big Brother and Survivor!

Edited by The Turtle
  • Like 1

I think that I understand the 13 hr thing. And I agree that able bodied younger folk should in general be able to train for IM in a way that gets a sub 13 hr result.

My last sub 13 hr result at IM OZ was 2011 and I had never gone over 13 hr before that either. Since then, I've gone 13:xx, 14:xx, 15:xx and DNFed.

I don't take the 13 hr thing personally because I don't think it is having a go at me or anyone else personally. It simply reflects that on a different day I should be capable of better. I get why some people are offended, but it doesn't offend me personally to have someone hold that view.

Had a ball with Rattie on Sunday. If you're going slow, then I reckon you should definitely have fun whilst you're out there doing it!

Edited by The Glycogen Lilo
  • Like 1

Enough with the images in every single post please

• Like 1

Yes

It's useing up all my data

Cheers

IVP

I'm just jealous cause I can't do it

sorry

Yes

Cheers

IVP

I assume it's aimed at me.

Sorry. Again.

But thanks for saying something. If I don't know I'm pissing you off, I can't change.

Alternatively (and this part is a joke), if I really want to piss you off some day, I know how to do it! (joke joke joke joke joke)

Edited by The Turtle

Yes

Cheers

IVP

Serious question - I'm not good with computers/data stuff.

If a picture is in a previous post, and you go back to the thread multiple times, is it downloaded every time?

For the sake of saving your data, should I go back and edit the pics out of my posts? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants - just curious as I didn't mean for it to be a pain.

I assume it's aimed at me.

Sorry. Again.

But thanks for saying something. If I don't know I'm pissing you off, I can't change.

Alternatively (and this part is a joke), if I really want to piss you off some day, I know how to do it! (joke joke joke joke joke)

We'd better tell IVP not to open the Pun thread.

Personally I would just like you to post something interesting and less frequent.

That ten questions went to your head.

• Like 2

Personally I would just like you to post something interesting and less frequent.

Thanks - I'll take that on board. But no need to get personal.

Block me. Easy.

Edited by The Turtle

I love it - I'll never eat as much bacon as Niseko - but I'm with him on this one :smile1::smile1::smile1:

• Like 1

I love it - I'll never eat as much bacon as Niseko - but I'm with him on this one :smile1::smile1::smile1:

Block me then. Easy.

This is a shit thread with a couple of good posts.

I have been enjoying Transitions a lot lately but this is just more blah blah blah personal attack blah blah trolling blah blah.

I'm going to go watch Reno Rumble on the PVR instead. Might see Nealo and his kitchen on there.

• Like 2

I'm going to go watch Reno Rumble on the PVR instead. Might see Nealo and his kitchen on there.

Don't worry I'm going to Facebook my "journey". :lol:

• Like 2

I find that in sport, as in life, those that belittle the achievements of others tend to have their own deep seeded unhappiness or lack of peace with themselves.

To want to deny or to find someone else's achievement or happiness as being illegitimate exposes a nasty streak in the human personality.

To me, it doesn't matter if you're the 9x world champion, if you belittle the achievements of another athlete then you're not a winner in life, you're a loser.

I think it takes a certain kind of person to see the joy and happiness that you really only see after dark at the IM finishing chute and to mock that. I really feel sorry for those that lack any form of compassion and seek to affirm their own sense of worth through the degradation of others.

P.s obviously I don't begrudge comments made in jest and speak of those that take this finishing time bullshit seriously.

Edited by Esoteric
  • Like 2

Where'd all the Excited go...

noth'n to see here, that's for certain