CEM

IM Melb and F1 Grand Prix date clash

Grand Prix in 2016 has a start time of 4pm. Old Bernie has got the later time slot he has been after to suit European TV.. So the first wave of race fans will leave about 7pm and head home. First crowd convergence on St Kilda etc. The after race concert won't start until 8pm. That'll finish around 11 because of noise restrictions and that's when everyone will head home thru St Kilda, Fitzroy street, down beach road and all over the place. Two lots of cluster f&@ks in crowd and traffic control for the police to manage.

IM Melb will be moved to a different date on police and council requests.

Better aim to finish in around 10hrs to avoid trouble :) sub 12 or no one will hear you get called an ironman ;) it's what trannies always wanted.

Yes that does look correct, WTC would be pissed to have to move it again...

Not sure if the major events would let this clash again.

Moomba, WSBKs , IM Melbourne, Easter, plus two major sailing events in March. FFS let's have a smash fest on the hospitality and accomodation sector. School holidays kick off at Easter as well. Come mid April there'll be f&@k all on except for ANZAC day.

Would be cool if you had to share a portion of the track though! A metre matters Ricardo!

Wholesale gridlock is what I predict. Thank god the Run for the kids is end of Feb in 2016. Melbourne really is the place to be for events but seriously, it might be time to share the love a little. Might be time to move the ironman to Geelong or Adelaide.

So who snapped up cheap accommodation for the 20th. Might be some money to be made there at least once the prices start to go through the roof.

Message from Melb IM just now.This morning, IRONMAN received the news that the 2016 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix has publicly announced another date change to March 20 ,2016.

IRONMAN recognizes this presents a conflict with the government approved

scheduling of the 2016 IRONMAN Asia Pacific Championships in Melbourne on March 20,2016.

We have contacted our government partners to understand the impact of the news as it relates to both our event planning and course approvals.

Until this information is provided and we are able to access the implications, we have decided to temporarily suspend entries to the event. While unfortunate ,we feel this is necessary step to take until we know more.

We will be providing further updates this morning via our websites an social media. This will be the best medium to receive the most up to date information whilst we work with our partners.

IRONMAN®

4/3 Rocklea Drive

Port Melbourne VIC 3207 Australia

• Like 1

Sounds like F1 is run by the same

Incorrect. F1 is run by Billionaires that don't care about anything other than money and women half their age.

Incorrect. F1 is run by Billionaires that don't care about anything other than money and women half their age.

Half their age would be about 40, more like 1/3 of their age.

Last year of the race in Melbourne next year.

IM. Count it as a scoop.

I don't doubt it at all. Interest is dropping. Gone are their dreams of getting 5000 on that course.

Let's hope Button brings his bike. Can't be any slower than his car :(

Ha ha! Thats a fact!

I just caught the tail end of someone from the Vic government or Melb Events on the radio "welcoming" the change of date...they know where their bread is buttered. IM clearly not a priority.

Will anyone give me odds on a 4x10km loop run from Frankston getting the go ahead as an alternative?

Will anyone give me odds on a 4x10km loop run from Frankston getting the go ahead as an alternative?

I love a bet and I won't give you odds on that. High possibility but more a loop from Mordie to Black rock etc... They would want to clear the road between Frank and Mordie.

• Like 1

I reckon now that Max Mosely has been forcibly retired Bernie literally couldn't organise a root in a brothel ...

Ha ha! Thats a fact!

I just caught the tail end of someone from the Vic government or Melb Events on the radio "welcoming" the change of date...they know where their bread is buttered. IM clearly not a priority.

Not to menton the comment that the F1 date change will ease the implications and headaches for local sporting clubs.

Not to menton the comment that the F1 date change will ease the implications and headaches for local sporting clubs.

that is precicely what he also quoted

I don't doubt it at all. Interest is dropping. Gone are their dreams of getting 5000 on that course.

Gee this is a change of face from the mayor of Melb

Cheers

Ivp

My next request for a book was going to be on the odds of Andrew Messic sending old Bernie a christmas card

You could bet the Bernie wouldn't know messic from a bar of soap

And probably doesn't even know what An IM

Is

Cheers

Ivp

Yesterday, I finally sat down to enter IM Melb as having an entry in areal event helps in getting going, removes the hundreds of reasons & excuses for not training and gives me a great reason to get back out there....

Oops, entries suspended!

WTF, don' t they know that I need to get my entry in....

Does anyone down there have any idea when there may be certainlymofmthenrace date & when entries may reopen.

Does anyone think there is a real chance of it being cancelled or is it locked in..

Does anyone down there have any idea when there may be certainlymofmthenrace date & when entries may reopen.

Does anyone think there is a real chance of it being cancelled or is it locked in..

WTC wouldnt even know when yet.

But It will happen. No way would WTC allow it to be cancelled.

What will be interesting will be whether or not they offer refunds or not hiven the likelihood of a course change... but having said that im sure there is fine print in the waiver somewhere that deals with it when you click enter

Yet another reason to hate the GP....

Can the government force them to change the date or route given that they already have approval , or will the final decision be with the IM organisers??

As a local resident I don't see it as that big a deal to have them on the same day from a congestion point of view, the main impact will prob. be accommodation

The big question to ask is - if the race is cancelled

NZ or Port ?

It won't be cancelled.

Yet another reason to hate the GP....

Agree give it to NSW and let it send them broke

Agree give it to NSW and let it send them broke

You're going soft in your old age, a few years back and you would have said give it back to Adelaide and send them broke ;)

Well I actually wrote that first but NSW has nothing now so figured they should get it.

• Like 1

If just avoidingSt Kilda and traffic problems around Fitzroy st, instead of looping back to Elwood or Black rock, another alternative is to take out the loop at Frankston at the start of the run course and just have the run leg go straight from Frankston past St Kilda and onto Port Melbourne. The area around Sandridge Lifsaving club and the SLSC headquarters has a lot of logistical and infrastructure solutions on hand. There will be a few challenges but it presents the possibility of running the race on the same day as the F1 GP.