Peter

Car dashcam? You using one?

I am toying with a dashcam.

something deep inside me just thinks it might be a good idea given all the people walking in front for cars accidentally due to listening to ipods/music or checking their facebook.

anyone, anyone got one?

What should I be looking for in particular?

Following a hit and run last year I got one put on my new motorbike. Been close a few times to handing footage over to the police of citizens that are unable to handle their vehicles in an appropriate manner, but have resisted so far.

Got great footage of the van in front of me take off from the lights and have their ladder come off their roof right into my path, awesome swerve captured on that one.

For me though I'm concerned about the double edge, figure if I ever get pulled over for say speeding, I would want to be able to delete the footage before it was confiscated for evidence

Other things to look for, is the ability for it to "loop" over the recordings, but with enough memory to ensure it does loop too soon.

Just got a couple of Rhodes Scholars on dashcam doing an armed robbery here.

Robbed the Shell & BP at knifepoint.  

Dumbest most obvious looking pricks you've ever seen, just stuck out like doggies they were about to do a crime (pulling up the face mask was a giveaway). Drove past 3 times to make sure I got lots for the cops.  Sadly my $30 Chinese dash cam does pretty grainy footage, but the cops were pleased to have it.

In hindsight, should have gone around the block and waited to get a really good pic of their faces on my phone.

• Like 1

Been thinking of getting one. My commute is up and down the A34, which is a dual carriageway full of  70mph trucks playing Frogger.

30 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Been thinking of getting one. My commute is up and down the A34, which is a dual carriageway full of  70mph trucks playing Frogger.

The immense muppetry you'll capture will keep you amused for hours Ian....like this plonker who decides to exit the roundabout from the right lane, not an indicator in sight for the whole journey, and nearly carves off my bonnet in the process 🙄

My dashcam was $30 on Ebay from China, a GS8000L.  It's a bit ordinary, no incident capture button, struggles to hold the correct time, but with a 16GB card in it, will store at least 5 days of clips for me.

Just got one a few weeks back. 

Got it from Jaycar, got it because it has wifi so you can see the files on your phone and clear the card occasionally. 

It does loop footage, also locks files if it receives a bump. You can also manually lock any files. These have to be cleared via the app so won’t be overwritten unless you delete them. 

https://www.jaycar.com.au/1080p-gps-dash-camera-with-2-7-inch-lcd-and-wi-fi/p/QV3848

jumped on eBay and bought a hardwire kit for $16 and with 20 mins work now it’s all neatly cabled as well 

7 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

The immense muppetry you'll capture will keep you amused for hours Ian....like this plonker who decides to exit the roundabout from the right lane, not an indicator in sight for the whole journey, and nearly carves off my bonnet in the process 🙄

My dashcam was $30 on Ebay from China, a GS8000L.  It's a bit ordinary, no incident capture button, struggles to hold the correct time, but with a 16GB card in it, will store at least 5 days of clips for me.

That's scary!  Can't say I'll watch the footage, only in an accident.  I ride with a Fly 6 all the time and have only looked at the footage twice, once when I couldn't clip out, fell over and all my mates were in hysterics and the other time was my crash in the nettles on my mtb.

Looking at the close calls would not be how I want to spend my time. I'd never bloody ride again!

Edited by FatPom

The dash cam owners site on Facebook is great. 

Teaching my daughter to drive it gave me insight into just how many stupid things people can do on the road that you would never even think of. I made her watch them to make her realise that you need to think for everyone on the road. 

There is another one Scott’s camera Aussie guy   

I've had one for quite a few years now. Has the incident record button (which creates a separate file covering 30-sec before and after your press it) and the auto incident if it detects a big enough bump.

Mine is recording at pretty hi res, at least double that of FHD and mean number plates are easily read. My card will store about 6-7 hours and over writes oldest recording as it goes. It has its own small screen, or you can plug it into laptop via USB or take the memory card out to view. That wifi connection roxii has sound good.

It has an optional separate GPS device which I don't have, which will record typical GPS device data including speed, time, location and have that stamped onto the video.

What prompted me was to have something for when I drive commissaires in bike races to provide some evidence for my own benefit in case of incident. I had the unfortunate experience of having a rider go down right in front of me just as they passed my car (when returning from the convoy) and disappear out of my sight. It would have been good to have had that on video to back up the witness statements made to Police. In case you were wondering, my reactions saved the rider who got away with a broken collar bone. I took the car right over a very deep culvert to avoid them. We were all very lucky that day.

Back when I last drove at the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road race a few years back, I used it there and the ranking UCI official (who was a great Commissaire, we were doing Comm 3 that day) asked me all about it and took notes as he thought it was a great idea. I note now that the Commissaire vehicles in Euro races are now seemingly fitted with them as standard.

Oh yeah that one I got has the gps module in the mount so it automatically updates time etc. 

My sister has the one with screen on in her car. When I'm in the passenger seat, I keep thinking I'm looking at what's behind us!

12 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Just got a couple of Rhodes Scholars on dashcam doing an armed robbery here.

Robbed the Shell & BP at knifepoint.  

Dumbest most obvious looking pricks you've ever seen, just stuck out like doggies they were about to do a crime (pulling up the face mask was a giveaway). Drove past 3 times to make sure I got lots for the cops.  Sadly my $30 Chinese dash cam does pretty grainy footage, but the cops were pleased to have it.

In hindsight, should have gone around the block and waited to get a really good pic of their faces on my phone.

They got lollies & drinks 😆

Druggies by the looks of them, armed robbery at 2pm with cars and people going everywhere, damn there are some dumb & desperate shitbags about. 

https://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/6289676/armed-man-on-the-run-after-service-station-hold-up-in-cbd/?cs=471

I've got a Blackvue front and back that was in the car when I bought it. I keep forgetting to look at stuff I've filmed!

• Haha 1

I've had cameras since before dash-cam was a term.

Go for it.  You only need to spend $30+  Front view only is the easiest to install.

Now that I'm commuting by bike I don't do much driving and not much has happened of late camera-wise so most of my issues worth capturing must have been happening on the way to and from work.

Just as a matter of interest, Anybody know if you can get booked for having the viewing screen on when you're driving? 

Theres been a recent spate of bookings when the front seat passenger has been using a phone/tablet and its been deemed as distracting to the driver.

AJ

43 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Theres been a recent spate of bookings when the front seat passenger has been using a phone/tablet and its been deemed as distracting to the driver.

If they are going to start fining drivers for distracting situations, I'd be fined every time I've got both kids in the car.

• Haha 1

From last night driving home from work.

Not something you see everyday.

sorry it's upside down.  NFI how to flip it

Edited by Peter

cant work it out.  was that a red light the car went through? or was the bike crossing against the lights?

8 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

cant work it out.  was that a red light the car went through? or was the bike crossing against the lights?

Red light going straight ahead, but the car that got him had a green arrow, the same as those coming from the other direction. The cyclist had a don't walk light.

The arrow went orange just as the 2nd cyclist left the footpath.

• Like 2

Those guys aren't cyclists.  They are just riding bikes

They didnt even have helmets on