Sign in to follow this  
MissJess

Athletes foot

:taz:

Ok, so I go sockless at triathlons. Stupid me. Now I am stuck with another round of tinea.

Doing all the usual stuff, creams, peroxide foot baths, tea tree, eucalyptus, etc, etc. Even took a pill that is usually reserved for thrush! The doctor refused to prescribe an oral anti-fungal. This is interrupting my run and swim training. Cycling I might be able to handle, but apparently I am not allowed to wear shoes... :nono:

What do I do with my run and bike shoes??

• I cannot machine wash them, or well I do not really want to
  • Apparently the freezer method is not proven

What are my options? (Besides buying another pair of Hokas)

I'd rather amputate my legs just below the knee then be seen in a pair of Hokas. The alternative - new bike.

These are probably your best two options :blush:

• Like 3

Buying a new bike might help :) There is a hole in my bike room where a MTB should be.

So far I am soaking my runners in water and eucalyptus. I have sprayed my cycling shoes and liners with a spray of the same.

Edit: as for the Hokas, well my back, knees and ankles have thanked me for the switch :)

Edited by MissJess

I find scratching my tinea to be very ssatisfying. Why is it interupting your training?

I was always told the best way to get rid of it was to wee on it in the shower.

Well, every time my feet get warm I want to hack at them with my nails. Oh yes, I find scratching satisfying. Doctor has also told me no shoes and socks, unless for work.

I am not sure about using pools while I wait for it to clear up, and my running shoes are getting a clean, guess my sockless days are over.

The tinea tablets are very effective - I had a persistent, recurring case for about 6 years and had tried all the creams and followed all the recommendations, but it kept coming back. Apparently GPs can't prescribe the tablets without taking a biopsy etc and for some reason they seem reluctant to do it - I had asked several doctors over the years but no dice, they all just kept telling me to try different creams.

In the end I got a script from a podiatrist. It wasn't covered by the PBS but the cost when i got it was about $40, money well spent. I've been fungus-free ever since!

you don't get it from no sock's....you get it from public places like pool change rooms etc.

i raced in no socks for 25+ years without trouble. Disclaimer: train in socks, and do ironman in socks.

• Like 1

I use tea tree powder in running and bike shoes. I rarely get any tinea, if I do it's confined to one toe and I hit it with ointment.

I have one toenail that is getting the painting treatment, but it's the one with three layers that just won't come off.

The only time I had a problem with it was when I was wearing a moon boot. I feel very sorry for those with it, cause it sucked!

My bro-in-law has had it for years and years. I don't think he's ever gotten rid of it.

My husband had a persistent case of athletes foot for over a year. The cream would work, but it would come back about a month later. He eventually got rid of it by using the cream as prescribed AND using baby powder after every shower. He continued with this for a month after the last signs of AF disappeared. Never came back.

I dont think sockless is your problem. If the bug is there, it will get through sweaty socks just as well.

Clean dry feet are a must in prevention tho. The bug thrives in warm moistbareas - hence toes and groins (yep, jock itch is the same).

Avoid communal showers without thongs. Pools are also bad, but the wet areas around rather than the pool itself.

Or your shoes, id say stick them out in the sun and get them as hot and dry as you can for a few days. Take the innersoles out.

He had tinea in his mouth, but best to also treat the surrounding area....

I was thinking of the pee, but damn, I never seem to have enough, perhaps my morning routine should change and I should head straight to the shower!

I think I did not clean my shoes properly after the last infection, which came from a public pool. I've relented and cleaned my shoes, too scared of ruining them!

Also gone nuts and mopped all the floors.

I've had tinea on and off for about 40 years, typically when there is a bout of warm/hot humid weather (by Melbourne standards, which isn't that humid) and I reckon running where sweat into my shoes enough to drench the feet, but suppose just wearing shoes to work also. Occurs between littlest toes. Doesn't bother me that much though. Years ago tried nuking shoes, socks etc and metho, anti-fungicides etc. Didn't work. So now I just put up with it, but if sense it is on the way early hit it with Lamisil - then much less severe, i.e. skin doesnt crack wide open at the seam. Lasts about a week. I wear thongs to help the toe gaps dry out.

When I started high school they had this bizarre fetish about tinea and the school pool. So at the start of each swimming term you had to be subjected to a betwee-the-toes inspection. Any tinea cracks and you weren't allowed to swim.

They didn't check for plantar warts which are much nastier pool change room things.

Oh I remember the plantar wart I got from squad. It was a ripper. Right in the bike from where I stood on a thumb track.

On the rare occasion I get it between my little and second toe, I put betadine on it. It stings a little but gets rid of it in 3 days.

FM

Edited by Flanman

Are some people more susceptible to it or something? I've never had it before

Yes, I think so. If you have a cut or such on your foot you're more likely to pick it up.

I have found the skin infection can be easily treated with topical anti fungal, but once it has hold in your nails you have it forever!

The bug thrives in warm moistbareas - hence toes and groins (yep, jock itch is the same).

Avoid communal showers without thongs.

Can you get jock itch if you don't where a thong in the shower?

Anyone ever tried the laser treatment for toenail infections?

A bit of a web search suggests it is much more effective than topical treatments. Not to mention pricey!