Cranky

IM Port - Let's get excited!

Sub-12 is still an arbitrary goal. The primary objective is to do sub-17 and qualify for the beer mile.

[emoji17] I don't drink beer. Does that mean I won't be a 'real ironman'?

The run off the bike on race day is nothing like your weekly ride. I can't explain why but it isn't, you will both be fine.

• Like 1

You'll be fine on the day Ozzybuds. I was like that in training, but come race day it's a different story. FWIW I think I've only ridden over 60kms a couple of times in the past 2 years and I'm still hoping to make it through the bike and run most of the marathon. Like you said the main objective is to finish, and I'm sure we'll both do that.

This is going to hurt :shocking:

Okay Jo-lene, I've done a bit of stalking of your results and I'm basing the following comments on what you just did in Mooloolaba.

I did my first IM last year in Cairns and was aiming for sub 13, maybe 12.30. I did 11.58.

I'm a slow swimmer. All my OD swims are in the 33-35 minute range and I was aiming for 1.30. I did 1.25. I see you swam 26.xx in Mooloolaba. I stood up in just under 34.00. I think you will swim well under 1.30 and will probably be closer to 1.10-1.15 so make sure you seed yourself properly and get pulled along by faster swimmers rather than being dragged back by slower swimmers.

My bike was about 5.50 and I rode reasonably conservatively. I just rode a 1.06 at Mooloolaba but wasn't running off it (I normally ride about 1.09-1.10) compared to your 1.13, so 6 hours is realistic but will obviously be very dependent on conditions. I've never been to Port but from what I've heard it's not an easy bike.

My OD runs are normally in the 48-50 minute range so very similar to you. With the 3 lap course in Cairns I was aiming for 1.30 laps and finished with a 4.26. I started of trying to maintain a steady 5.40 pace and had to consciously slow myself down a bit on the first lap when I ran the first couple of km at 5.15 pace. I think your goal for the run is pretty spot on but so much will hinge on your bike training over the next four weeks. If you're not fully bike fit your run will suffer big time.

Best of luck. Will be watching your progress with interest and all the best with the sub 12 goal. I was very excited on the last run lap when I worked out I had a realistic chance to go sub 12. I know you shouldn't set time goals for your first one but it really did help me during the race to have a number in my head to focus on and keep working towards.

Thanks, Downesy. That's a great help. I'll make sure I am seriously focused and put in that little bit extra, on the bike especially.

Did I mention I'm excited? !! [emoji2]

• Like 1

This is going to hurt :shocking:

No doubt. Saddle soreness will probably be my biggest problem, but they tell me that the Port course is fairly undulating so at least I'll get a fair few chances to stand and give my bum a break.

In over 20 years in the sport I've only ever done about eight 180km rides, and half of those were in IM events so I'm no stranger to getting through events on minimal training. I've also never ridden more than 180km in a day, unless the IM courses I've done were measured wrong. I'm sure I'll be fine on the day.

No doubt. Saddle soreness will probably be my biggest problem, but they tell me that the Port course is fairly undulating so at least I'll get a fair few chances to stand and give my bum a break.

In over 20 years in the sport I've only ever done about eight 180km rides, and half of those were in IM events so I'm no stranger to getting through events on minimal training. I've also never ridden more than 180km in a day, unless the IM courses I've done were measured wrong. I'm sure I'll be fine on the day.

Mate, let's face it. You're a bast#$d. I bet you beat most of the punters here. Me included.

:smile1:

I mean, folks, look at his avatar. He's grinning like a cheshire cat in the middle of Alii Drive on a stinking hot day. Or maybe he's just got good genes.

I'm sure you'll be fine too. :smile1:

Some great advice there. Thanks!

Basing my run on a 30km run that took 3hrs.

Jo-lene1231, its the 4 th 10 km section that hurts, the last 2 km though will see you setting pbs ( but I'd still be very happy with 30 km in 3 hrs )

Best of luck to all...

for Avago, it's all been going quite well, actually I'm training better than anytime in the past few year, and I'm excited to train and I have Nic at Wards Coaching to thank for that.

I was looking at better wheels, better this, better that, but really, all along I knew all I needed was a better me... and now I'm accountable, like a 2:30 run tonight, after work, starting after 6pm... :shy:

but mid next week I have 12 days in Azerbaijan and Istanbul, so no training there, but get to see the most lovely Mrs Avago :smile1: , followed by 2 intense training weeks, one rest week, then we race.

see you all at the finish line

• Like 1

Mate, let's face it. You're a bast#$d. I bet you beat most of the punters here. Me included.

I mean, folks, look at his avatar. He's grinning like a cheshire cat in the middle of Alii Drive on a stinking hot day. Or maybe he's just got good genes.

It's not really him :ninja:

Im not sure if I am getting pumped or nervous but I am ready for it to get done. The run has got me a bit concerned re pacing, my last two halves I have done spot on 5min ks. I was hoping for 6min ks for the run, is that realistic? Starting to feel its a bit hopeful. I understand it will depend on how hard I push on the bike.

Haha, I hope you do beat me Dave, but I'll be making you work hard for it!

It's not really him :ninja:

Oh, he knows it's me... he wasn't far behind me!

I just love racing, always have done and probably always will, but it's destroying my body. I wish I could be a bit more consistent. A lot has happened since Kona, a hip operation, a shoulder operation and I've only done a fraction of the training. My swim should be ok, but it will be downhill from there.

Looking forward to catching up with you guys up there Dave, are you both racing?

this is my first trip to port macquarie and i am starting to get paranoid about the rolling hills, mathew flinders drive and cold weather. i am currently punishing myself on the bike with windy hill rides. this is my fifth but i still have doubts and worry that it is never enough. while my longest ride will be 6.5 hours it will not cover 180 kms because it is a hilly ride so now i worry about that. how does the bike course rate to cairns ? i know the roads are terrible.

The run has got me a bit concerned re pacing, my last two halves I have done spot on 5min ks. I was hoping for 6min ks for the run, is that realistic? Starting to feel its a bit hopeful. I understand it will depend on how hard I push on the bike.

Just start your run at a pace that you are comfortable with and go from there. In my opinion there is no point slowing your run just for the sake of it. Run comfortably, and if you need to slow a bit in order to maintain it then do it. Take your time to slow or walk through the aid stations to get enough fluid etc and then get back into your rhythm again.

Edited by Go Easy

this is my first trip to port macquarie and i am starting to get paranoid about the rolling hills, mathew flinders drive and cold weather.

I've never done Port so probably shouldn't comment at all, but I'm sure you'll be fine. If you are already riding hills then I don't think the rollers around Port will be a problem. Worse case scenario we can walk up Mathew Flinders Drive if need be, it might even be a nice break from the riding, and I guess just pack some arm warmers and cheap skivvies to take out on course if it's cool. You can always ditch them if they are not required.

Just start your run at a pace that you are comfortable with and go from there. In my opinion there is no point slowing your run just for the sake of it. Run comfortably, and if you need to slow a bit in order to maintain it then do it. Take your time to slow or walk through the aid stations to get enough fluid etc and then get back into your rhythm again.

I was planning to walk through the aid stations, make sure I get the liquids in. Not sure if it just me but if I drink on the run the only thing I get is coughing and choking , no water seems to make it where its meant to.

Haha, I hope you do beat me Dave, but I'll be making you work hard for it!

Oh, he knows it's me... he wasn't far behind me! Think you're being generous

Looking forward to catching up with you guys up there Dave, are you both racing?

Yes, we're both "racing" ( if you call it that. :smile1: )

5 weeks to go with a 4 day Easter weekend. Use it wisely Stu. I know you can do it!

But totally understand the lack of motivation sometimes. Nothing like a bit of pressure though.... Brings out the best of us!

I'm not 100% sure I can make that time.

To do it, I'm aiming for:

Swim- 1:30

T1- 0:05

Bike- 6:00

T2- 0:05

Run- 4:19 (6:08 pace - ouch!)

Is the run I'm stressed about. I think I'll make the other times ok.

Are those transition times reasonable? I'm not sure of the distances between swim exit and transition, etc.

Are these transition times reasonable?...... Ratty will say no..... And that you you have over stated the run transition time by at least 3:30 minutes.

Note: Ratdog is the king of transitions........ I think usually in the top 10 fastest times.

I take my time, and my last IM T2 was 4:59. I just about had a cuppa tea and a nap

• Like 1

I've lost all motivation at the moment - was up for this in a big way, but my injury has messed things up in more than just a physical way. Yesterday I wanted to have a spin on the trainer, before I travel again. Got my kit on, and stood there looking at my bike on the bike trainer - and walked out of the garage and mowed the lawn instead.

Hey TenPints, can you come around to my place for a training session? If you lose motivation and feel like mowing my lawn instead I won't mind a bit ;-)

I'm picturing you mowing your lawn in your bike kit and aero helmet.

• Like 3

Thanks Wardy, I missed seeing that post from Ten Pints earlier.

See you there Foz! Really looking forward to catching-up with everyone, and meeting a few more of you.

I've lost all motivation at the moment - was up for this in a big way, but my injury has messed things up in more than just a physical way. Yesterday I wanted to have a spin on the trainer, before I travel again. Got my kit on, and stood there looking at my bike on the bike trainer - and walked out of the garage and mowed the lawn instead. I need to get a grip, but time is against me - think I'll be buying the beers for the lads in the Tranny Challenge :lol:

You must be in a bad way TP to choose mowing the lawn over a trainer session. You deserve 50 Lashes and some time in solitary. Lift you're game mate, a couple of days off won't hurt you, but I don't want to be waiting too long at the finish line to buy you those beers I owe you.

Thanks Wardy, I missed seeing that post from Ten Pints earlier.

You must be in a bad way TP to choose mowing the lawn over a trainer session. You deserve 50 Lashes and some time in solitary. Lift you're game mate, a couple of days off won't hurt you, but I don't want to be waiting too long at the finish line to buy you those beers I owe you.

Na mate, he deserves 6 x 150 Lashes :smile1:

8686890-th.jpg

Exactly, he's a good man!

Edit - I deserve the other 50 lashes for not being able to spell your (you're) grrr... I hate that! :taz:

Edited by Go Easy

Jo-lene, your excitement is infectious!!

I realised after spectating and enthusiastically picking up rubbish for hours on end at an aid station at IM Melb on Sunday, that I get just a little too caught up in the excitement of the whole IM event.

Last year, I signed up to this year's Port IM after spectating and then managed to not do much more than eat and sit on the couch for months......

Since I last did Port (as my first IM ), I'm now 3 years older, fatter, slower and even less structured in my approach than I've ever been. I know I really don't belong, but am old and stupid enough to not even care. I'm not even particularly worried about any part of it right now, but I'd probably put that down to complete denial.

Nevertheless, I'll be there in my own happy, slow and painful place. I'm pretty sure there isn't a tranny out there who can challenge me for this year's last place.

I'm looking forward to catching up with fellow Trannys ..... if >13 hour completers are not excluded :smile1:

• Like 1

I think I owe him a six pack from last year. Can make that a reality. Hey TP are you around on the weekend? Could do a swim and beer at Manly for some kind of motivation for both of us?

Edited by PaperMan

Jo-lene, your excitement is infectious!!

Yes it is!!!

I'm now 3 years older, fatter, slower and even less structured in my approach than I've ever been.

Try telling your other half that... Did you hear what he called me when I said something similar! :shocking:.

I'm looking forward to catching up with fellow Trannys ..... if >13 hour completers are not excluded :smile1:

The over 13 hour group have to sit at a different table... It's gunna need to be a big table :lol:.

Love your attitude Catcam.

See you there!

• Like 1

It's lucky that I don't get on at work, I'd get nothing done!

Edit - Probably now won't be on here much for the next month or so though. Will be fairly busy with work for a couple of weeks, then I'll be busy cramming in some training. Plenty of time to chat during the taper!

Edited by Go Easy

I don't get anything done at work....... :shy: Except when those pesky work emails pop up and interrupt my view of Trannies.

But I do have an awesome little nook in the corner of the office so no one speaks to me and I don't have to speak to anyone. Usually.

But this being the Port Mac thread, even I'm getting motivated to want to do it. Damnit! Have to stop reading :whistling:

I am also aiming for sub-12 on debut with roughly the same splits as you.

Although I am having a few doubts now...... went for a 200km ride on Sunday and there was no way I could have run a marathon afterwards.

but you will when the load is off and you have tapered..............assuming the run volume is up there.

• Like 1

this is my first trip to port macquarie and i am starting to get paranoid about the rolling hills, mathew flinders drive and cold weather. i am currently punishing myself on the bike with windy hill rides. this is my fifth but i still have doubts and worry that it is never enough. while my longest ride will be 6.5 hours it will not cover 180 kms because it is a hilly ride so now i worry about that. how does the bike course rate to cairns ? i know the roads are terrible.

About 15% of the course is uphill - the rest is downhill or flat - the wind blows everywhere you train so there's nothing new there - on the day you'll be fresh and the time you've spent training will be longer than the actual bike time on the day - you'll be on the run before you know it - then it's one of the easiest Ironman run courses out there - four laps with spectators most of the way and lots of other people less prepared than yourself out there making you look good :smile1:

• Like 5

Port was my first last year. From memory I did port 70.3 swim in 44m and IM in 74. I was a better swimmer by the IM but no tidal current was the key factor, also felt the course was 100m short. My bike was over 6hrs, it's not a fast course, wind, rough roads, rolling hills. Run seemed to be almost a km short, maybe they count transition? The sun going down and switching to coke got me under 4hr, 15m behind plan. Great support though! Enjoy!

first timer at Port. I'm worried. February was good in terms of training. March has been more of a downhill.

First ride I did 100+k I cramped badly and had no energy whatsoever at the end.

Last sunday I did 155k and no cramping, with a bit of fuel in the tank. So long rides have helped, specially sorting out the nutrition. I think nutrition is confirmed at least for the bike leg.

I will need to print out a note and stick it next to my garmin: "Remember a marathon is coming up". That way I can control my energy levels and not push too hard.

Swim: very slow. I have only been able to do 1 session a week (!). I think my swim will be between 1:30 and 1:40.

run: longest I've done is two 20ks runs. I will try to do a bit longer distance the coming 2 saturdays.

that's all....

Edited by aegcp

About 15% of the course is uphill - the rest is downhill or flat - the wind blows everywhere you train so there's nothing new there - on the day you'll be fresh and the time you've spent training will be longer than the actual bike time on the day - you'll be on the run before you know it - then it's one of the easiest Ironman run courses out there - four laps with spectators most of the way and lots of other people less prepared than yourself out there making you look good :smile1:

I've missed you man

#mancrush

Seriously

Good to hear the Transition is nice and close IJ, it's about time I get to have a quick transition as mine are usually atrocious. Maybe I need to get some advice from Ratty. He's the Trannies Transition World Record holder!

There are no excuses for long T2 times.

Tip 1. Your Run bag will have your shoes and another plastic bag with everything else you need in it.

Tip 2. Limber up at the biuke dismount line, wait for a bike catcher to be ready for you.

Tip 3. Call out your number to the vollies looking for your bag. They will hand it to you as you run into the change tent. like a pro.

Tip 4. Beware the chair. Dont sit down, tip bag out, put shoes one, grab bag full of other crap like the elusive trannies hat, gels, sunscreen, socks.

Tip 5. Blow kisses to the volunteers as you sprint out the tent.

Tip 6. You can have a break once through transition next to your friends and family under a tree. Telling them how much of a boss u were on MFD and how rough the roads were and how the wind changed 4 times giving you a head wind in both directions.

Tip 7. T2 is the race. Nothing else matters. Does anyone remember who had the fastest bike time last year?

• Like 5

There are no excuses for long T2 times.

Tip 1. Your Run bag will have your shoes and another plastic bag with everything else you need in it.

Tip 2. Limber up at the biuke dismount line, wait for a bike catcher to be ready for you.

Tip 3. Call out your number to the vollies looking for your bag. They will hand it to you as you run into the change tent. like a pro.

Tip 4. Beware the chair. Dont sit down, tip bag out, put shoes one, grab bag full of other crap like the elusive trannies hat, gels, sunscreen, socks.

Tip 5. Blow kisses to the volunteers as you sprint out the tent.

Tip 6. You can have a break once through transition next to your friends and family under a tree. Telling them how much of a boss u were on MFD and how rough the roads were and how the wind changed 4 times giving you a head wind in both directions.

Tip 7. T2 is the race. Nothing else matters. Does anyone remember who had the fastest bike time last year?

Ok. So I'm assuming by the time of your posts, you were both up early training. Doing that midnight run that was discussed in the mental toughness thread?

Excellent advice Ratty.

Just one question... How many kisses do I blow?

And that is just to the girls right? :sleepy:.

Ok. So I'm assuming by the time of your posts, you were both up early training. Doing that midnight run that was discussed in the mental toughness thread?

Rat dog lives in Thailand and GE never sleeps (and may work nite shift)

Lol

Cheers

Ivp

In for Port, first time.

Looking forward to it, racing Batemans Bay this weekend as a bit of prep and then get back in for the final few weeks.

• Like 1

Jo-lene

one piece of advice for your first is get rid of the time target, focus on the achievement, don't put additional stress on a time.

have a great build up and celebrate what you have achieved already

• Like 1

Swim: very slow. I have only been able to do 1 session a week (!). I think my swim will be between 1:30 and 1:40.

It was taking me roughly 1hr 40 in the pool to swim 4k, though I couldn't; help stopping, stretching etc. I swam 1.21 at melbourne despite getting lost twice and swimming 4.2k. Provided your technique is ok (not gettign too tired) race day excitement, wetsuit, rested, carb loaded and the pack pulling you along will get you home ok, in my vast N =1 x 1 experience!

10 years since my last Ironman...and took on other adventures in life...

at its true home ....forster...

yeah Ok...am slightly thinking would have been good to comeback and do this one...

oh well maybee one year....never say never....

T2 Training :sneaky2:.

Rat dog lives in Thailand and GE never sleeps (and may work nite shift)

Lol

Cheers

Ivp

It's true that I often don't get enough sleep, but no I don't do shift work - shifty work maybe, but not night shift :sly:.

Someone needs to get some sleep or their training might suffer...... :sly::nono:

One would probably actually have to do some training in order for it to suffer :shy:.

10 years since my last Ironman...and took on other adventures in life...

at its true home ....forster...

Good to hear Shrek, there's a big wide world out there outside of triathlon.

I did my last IM Australia at Forster... 20 years ago!!!

never say never...

And you never ever know if you never have a go!

Ok. So I'm assuming by the time of your posts, you were both up early training.

Truth be known, I was actually up that early to catch the 'red eye' flight to Sydney to attend a couple of job interviews as I've recently been made redundant in my current position.

In the words of the late and great John Lennon... 'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'.

But I came home tonight, opened the computer and had a nice old chuckle to myself at Roxii's 'community announcement' bike lighting thread. God I love this place, thanks guys!