Sign in to follow this  
roxii

Teaching bricks to swim.

That's interesting, I didn't know catch up was to work on the front of the stroke. I always think about the back of the stroke when doing catch up.

Hey guys - just to confirm that catch up for me is the touching of the hands at the front of the stroke. I like to use this as there are many swimmers that enter short and as such get a bad start to the catch and pull phase.

Would touching of the hands lead to cross over during normal swimming?

I've been using the "reach straight out in front of the shoulder" mantra and my old shoulder impingement has been kept at bay.

I think the issue is that you need to get a long reach established in order to get the rest of the stroke working. If the only way you can drill it into stubborn adult brans is to touch hands, then that's a good drill. You can always do it slow motion with a shoulder width but of plastic pipe, but it's a less natural swimming motion.

Once you get the reach right, you can easily start to widen your point of entry.

• Like 1

A berrocca tube works well T.

• Like 1

Hey guys - just to confirm that catch up for me is the touching of the hands at the front of the stroke. I like to use this as there are many swimmers that enter short and as such get a bad start to the catch and pull phase.

My coach always used to say stop picking your nose! That gently insulting jibe had a mnemonic affect as it always made me reach long. Funny thing is Pete Jacobs, one of the best swimmers in the biz, used to do a few coaching sessions for NTSC members and he added one more bit about not over reaching and also bringing your hand back to the entry point for the catch as quickly as possible because as long as it was in the air it was doing nothing.