Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

Foxtel has free Movies for 2 weeks, not sure exactly when it started but I am recording like an idiot. All the President's Men last night was great.

Watch what you really want while it's free. I recorded some stuff from the last time they had free channels, and after the promo ran out, they wouldn't play back.

Watched The Shining with my 14yold last night. Getting great joy watching good old movies with her. Funny timing to be commenting on this thread as I was typing I just realised this - ....

she's off to the movies with her first ever boyfriend tonight. First official date I think. My movie education days may be numbered ..... :(.

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

watched Dirty Grandpa on the plane last night. Bad. Bad. Bad. Someone needs to host an intervention with Bobby De Niro and stop him taking absolutely shite movies and destroying his reputation

Dementia resulting in bad choices?

Adam Sandler movie on netflix....."The Do Over"

Oh dear god why do i keep watching Adam Sandler movies....

Was it one of his connected movies he's making for Netflix? I think he's signed on to make 6 for them.

He's supposedly one of the richest actors in the world (producing his movies himself probably helps). Someone out there likes what he does. When you meet him, smack him on the back of the head eh!

Adam Sandler movie on netflix....."The Do Over"

Oh dear god why do i keep watching Adam Sandler movies....

It wasn't one of his best but it was still a 6/10

yes, it was a 'netflix original' .

It's a 4 movie deal, and I wonder what they had to pay him for it?

He'll get much more than that as they're made by his production company. Making all his movies himself is one of the reasons he's worth so much. There's no reason he should be worth in the vicinity of a Tom Cruise etc otherwise. He'd still have been wealthy, just not the 300 to 400 mill he supposedly is.

Edited by goughy

Watched Central Intelligence last night. Not bad with a few funny moments but overall I reckon 3 Stars. Filled in some time until the Tour started anyways............

Mind you, big fan of The Rock so made it watchable.

How would it be for an 11 year old boy? I'm finding it harder and harder to work out what kids should and shouldn't be seeing.

It was alright. Not a lot of language (from what I can recall........it was one of those movies you just "zone out").

A bit of blood / shooting etc but nothing they wouldn't see anywhere else.

Hard to say because I probably let my little bloke about the same age watch stuff that maybe I shouldn't. I dunno, it's all subjective.

I'd let my young bloke watch it if that is any help!

• Like 1

It was alright. Not a lot of language (from what I can recall........it was one of those movies you just "zone out").

A bit of blood / shooting etc but nothing they wouldn't see anywhere else.

Hard to say because I probably let my little bloke about the same age watch stuff that maybe I shouldn't. I dunno, it's all subjective.

I'd let my young bloke watch it if that is any help!

There's a shocking movie going around on Facebook at the moment of this big bloke doing pushups - the horror!

• Like 1

I do find it tough to know what I should and shouldn't let them watch (or which games to play). I reckon it was easier our day, a lot less language, the violence wasn't as graphic or realistic.

My boy hasn't even seen a James Bond yet, though I saw my first when I was around 5. But that's as much about my wife not wanting him to see how the early ones treated women, more than anything else.

Breakfast at Tiffany's on Netflix.

I didn't get it.

Audrey Hepburn is delightful though. Jodie Foster is still prob my fav female actor. Robert de Niro and Christian Bale prob my fav male actors.

Audrey is just stunning! Such class.

Probably comes from the blue blood.

Any Audrey movie. Funny Face & Sabrina are a couple of my favourites.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

There's a shocking movie going around on Facebook at the moment of this big bloke doing pushups - the horror!

Careful......................or you might find yourself nominated next!!

watched Dirty Grandpa on the plane last night. Bad. Bad. Bad. Someone needs to host an intervention with Bobby De Niro and stop him taking absolutely shite movies and destroying his reputation

Like an outsourced Jackass movie with just the old guy character that Johnny Knoxville plays. Though, the children's beauty pageant was a high mark of black humour and social comment. When grandpa was flicking the dollar bills over the boy dressed as a girl doing the striptease to loud rock music it was an analogy for the whole child beauty pageant scene. There was a beautifully captured moment of irony when a bunch of the pageant mothers were disgusted without even thinking for a moment they were equally disgusting.

For that scene alone and its social commentary I gave it a 7/10 without that scene probably a 3/10.

Edited by Slowman

Watch what you really want while it's free. I recorded some stuff from the last time they had free channels, and after the promo ran out, they wouldn't play back.

still playing back fine, watching a movie a night. The Gambler last night. Mark-Mark flick was my wife's choice but was actually pretty good. His final gambit is worth waiting for. Good eye-opener into the mind of a gambling addict.

Also good to see Ballers series 2 kick off last night

Like an outsourced Jackass movie with just the old guy character that Johnny Knoxville plays. Though, the children's beauty pageant was a high mark of black humour and social comment. When grandpa was flicking the dollar bills over the boy dressed as a girl doing the striptease to loud rock music it was an analogy for the whole child beauty pageant scene. There was a beautifully captured moment of irony when a bunch of the pageant mothers were disgusted without even thinking for a moment they were equally disgusting.

For that scene alone and its social commentary I gave it a 7/10 without that scene probably a 3/10.

No you have the wrong flick. BAD Grandpa is the Knoxville one, this is Dirty Grandpa with De Niro and Zac Effron. Painful.

The lesser of the Hepburns in my opinion...substantially so.

Catherine was all class too! On Golden Pond is still a favourite. Henry F and that kid.....

I think Katherine (note the spelling goughy) was the better actor, but I still get tingly all over when I see Audrey.

• Like 1

I would totally agree with that Ex, even the spelling!! But K didn't make me weak at the knees.

No you have the wrong flick. BAD Grandpa is the Knoxville one, this is Dirty Grandpa with De Niro and Zac Effron. Painful.

Well bugger me! I'm just a demented grandpa myself... so the best of Dirty Grandpa is in the adds and trailers? Looks good in those and De Niro has done some good work over the years. A shame. I'll mark that one down for "wait for TV premier".

I watched a really good Australian movie on SBS the other night called Convict. About a guy, Richard Basha, who was some kind of former soldier (that could really fight) goes to gaol and the goings on "in the joint". Every bit as brutal as Chopper.

I can't wait to get my Spanish on!!!

• Like 1

Finally got to see Suicide Squad last night.

Taking into account the level of the cast, the budget, and the company producing it - that has to be one of the worst movies ever made! It really was crap. I've seen worse, but due to their low budgets and crap actors they are just funny. There was none of that last night.

You know the saying 'all the best bits were in the trailer'. Well, I disagree with that. Cause the trailer bits were good, but when I saw them in context of the scenes they were a part of, they lost their wit and humour. They were just kinda lame.

I'm really sad. I'd rather watch the Dora The Explorer trailer 50 times over.

edit to add - how bad must the new Independence Day movie be if Will Smith chose this over it!

Edited by goughy

I just watched 'Legend'. Tom Hardy was brilliant playing both Krays but the rest of the film is a jumbled mess.

• Like 1

Finally got to see Suicide Squad last night.

Taking into account the level of the cast, the budget, and the company producing it - that has to be one of the worst movies ever made! It really was crap. I've seen worse, but due to their low budgets and crap actors they are just funny. There was none of that last night.

You know the saying 'all the best bits were in the trailer'. Well, I disagree with that. Cause the trailer bits were good, but when I saw them in context of the scenes they were a part of, they lost their wit and humour. They were just kinda lame.

I'm really sad. I'd rather watch the Dora The Explorer trailer 50 times over.

edit to add - how bad must the new Independence Day movie be if Will Smith chose this over it!

Sadly, I tend to agree with this Goughy. And I was really looking forward to it, but was left............underwhelmed.

As for the new Independence day movie, don't waste your time. Absolute rubbish.

I also read that Jared Leto didn't watch any of the old movies with the Joker as he didn't want to base his on theirs. I'm really glad he did that, cause he was just awful! I'd hate to think he used Nicholson and Ledger as inspiration!

I just watched 'Legend'. Tom Hardy was brilliant playing both Krays but the rest of the film is a jumbled mess.

A bit like their lives..... I thought it was brilliant.

my reviews of some of the current movies:

la la land: i didn't get it, why its winning awards i dont know. its one of those movies you would either like it or hate it. i hated it. **

Hidden Figures: great movie. Even Kevin Costner showed he can act again. ****

Arrival: a good subtle invasion movie. ***

Why Him: bloody funny. Bryan Cranston may just be the next chevy chase? ***

Fences: Good acting as usual by denzel, but it just seemed like a play being filmed. **

Edited by Prince

my reviews of some of the current movies:

la la land: i didn't get it, why its winning awards i dont know. its one of those movies you would either like it or hate it. i hated it. **

My other half is wanting to see this movie. You are scaring me off.

If it is like that other award winning movie "Birdman" I don't want to see it. Watched Birdman, just waiting for the big event to occur; nothing happened, movie ended.

My other half is wanting to see this movie. You are scaring me off.

If it is like that other award winning movie "Birdman" I don't want to see it. Watched Birdman, just waiting for the big event to occur; nothing happened, movie ended.

see it. maybe ts just too deep for me

I'll say it; I love Notting Hill. Don't like Grant. But I'm in love with JR in it.... I have no idea why? Probably the same reason I like Americas Sweethearts.

Edited by goughy