Jump to content
Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

Recommended Posts

Saw Lion King with my daughter on the weekend. She liked it, I thought it was just ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone seen Se7en yet? Great pic but pretty disturbing. Love to hear your comments on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Anyone seen Se7en yet? Great pic but pretty disturbing. Love to hear your comments on this one.

You mean the movie from 1995?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, more said:

You mean the movie from 1995?

Ha ha yes, that's it - I just picked it from my apple TV last night assuming it was a new movie.  I thought Brad and Kevin looked a bit young, but Morgan Freeman has always looked old!! I'd probably better read the movie description a bit better next time!! ☺️

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a weird film yesterday called 'The Titan', about preparing astronauts for life on another planet.  It's started 'ok' then got bad and then got really really bad.  Stuck with it because I was too tired to even reach the remote.:blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pete said:

Ha ha yes, that's it - I just picked it from my apple TV last night assuming it was a new movie.  I thought Brad and Kevin looked a bit young, but Morgan Freeman has always looked old!! I'd probably better read the movie description a bit better next time!! ☺️

Lol I was wondering if they had done a remake! Yeah awesome movie, hell of an ending! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I watched a weird film yesterday called 'The Titan', about preparing astronauts for life on another planet.  It's started 'ok' then got bad and then got really really bad.  Stuck with it because I was too tired to even reach the remote.:blush:

Pretty much summed my thoughts exactly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2019 at 1:48 PM, Peter said:

His brother came out and said his dad was accepting when he was a child and this was all a beat up to market himself better. 

Generally at least 3 sides to every story, your version, my version and what really happened. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frozen 2: another sequel that should never have been made. At least thankfully, there are no songs that I can see being as annoyingly catchy as the first movie...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

Frozen 2: another sequel that should never have been made. At least thankfully, there are no songs that I can see being as annoyingly catchy as the first movie...

Did you watch this by yourself or got dragged along. I am hoping its the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Ford Vs Ferrari is a good flick - Matt Damon and Christian Bale - can't go wrong!

Big Screen needed or can wait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Big Screen needed or can wait?

Probably not as much of an action flic as you might think, but what action there is is pretty good.  Either /either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Probably not as much of an action flic as you might think, but what action there is is pretty good.  Either /either.

Was good - enjoyed it. Young bloke LOVED it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trinube said:

Was good - enjoyed it. Young bloke LOVED it.

A good follow up is either of the 2 x related documentaries on NetFlix, "24 hour war" and "Shelby American" (longer but better). Factually F Vs F was pretty accurate, even the portrayal  of the young Peter Miles being held back when Ken's car fatally crashed (we initially thought this might be made up!)  Peter is interviewed on Shelby American and gives some great insight into  Christian Bale's character, Ken Miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pete said:

A good follow up is either of the 2 x related documentaries on NetFlix, "24 hour war" and "Shelby American" (longer but better). Factually F Vs F was pretty accurate, even the portrayal  of the young Peter Miles being held back when Ken's car fatally crashed (we initially thought this might be made up!)  Peter is interviewed on Shelby American and gives some great insight into  Christian Bale's character, Ken Miles.

Good car flick but full of factual mistakes... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-vs-ferrari-movie-mistakes

Saw it in Launceston Saturday week ago whilst down taking the 911 for a 2500km week long 'lap' of the island via many Targa Tasmania stages. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Good car flick but full of factual mistakes... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-vs-ferrari-movie-mistakes

Saw it in Launceston Saturday week ago whilst down taking the 911 for a 2500km week long 'lap' of the island via many Targa Tasmania stages. :D

I think it is pretty obvious which parts were added for effect and, unless you are making a documentary (and there are a number of good ones around already), then the dramatisation needs to highlight the characters, mood and tempo to get the point across to an audience who would otherwise miss the subtleties and sentiments of the events as they unfold. And it needs to make money..... :)

 And, as they say, "Porsche. There is no substitute." 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw "Knives Out".  Worth seeing, not necessarily at the movies though - brilliant cast, Daniel Craig is really good, as are all the other big names that seem to work well together.  Few kitch moments but the plot and the twists are what really makes it.  2.25 hours long and it will be 2.10 hours before you have the full story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about The Irishman, now on Netflix (I haven't watched it).  And I was thinking about mafioso type films, and I actually don't think I've ever really seem one before?  Ok, I've seen Donny Brasco, but being a biopic I don't know if it really counts.  And I have seen My Blue Heaven, but don't know if a Steve Martin and Rick Moranis comedy fits the criteria.

I've never seen any Godfathers, or Goodfellas.  I can't think of any others that I've actually seen?  I don't remember any plot lines from a film I've seen that would meet the criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, goughy said:

I was thinking about The Irishman, now on Netflix (I haven't watched it).  And I was thinking about mafioso type films, and I actually don't think I've ever really seem one before?  Ok, I've seen Donny Brasco, but being a biopic I don't know if it really counts.  And I have seen My Blue Heaven, but don't know if a Steve Martin and Rick Moranis comedy fits the criteria.

I've never seen any Godfathers, or Goodfellas.  I can't think of any others that I've actually seen?  I don't remember any plot lines from a film I've seen that would meet the criteria.

I watched this and I was rivetted - The Irishman is an awesome pic.  But how could it not be?!  One of Scorcese's all time greats starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci (also with with Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin... etc etc) AND supposedly based on the true bedside confessions of a mafia killer filmed with some great, almost Tarantino-like storytelling. Very long flic, but well worth the effort. 

...and you will at last find out what happened to Jo Hoffa...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I watched this and I was rivetted - The Irishman is an awesome pic.  But how could it not be?!  One of Scorcese's all time greats starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci (also with with Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin... etc etc) AND supposedly based on the true bedside confessions of a mafia killer filmed with some great, almost Tarantino-like storytelling. Very long flic, but well worth the effort. 

...and you will at last find out what happened to Jo Hoffa...

 

I thought Joe Pesci was awesome, but De Niro is one of the most overrated actors ever-he just places the same stupid part with the same stupid facial expressions no matter what movie he is in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, more said:

I thought Joe Pesci was awesome, but De Niro is one of the most overrated actors ever-he just places the same stupid part with the same stupid facial expressions no matter what movie he is in.

You know, I think he HAS become somewhat of a caricature, but I really love it.  Apart from all the gangster movies he roles it out the same part for father-in-law from hell, Jack Byrnes in "Meet the parents" and again as crime boss Paul Vitti in "Analyse this!".  I can see that if you don't like the caricature it it would be very annoying. 

I think it's a bit like Samuel L Jackson's famous scene in Pulp Fiction (the "I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?!" one) and he's been playing pretty much the same character ever since - but I really love that, too! 

I really can't stand Nicholas cage now for the same reason -  same stoopid facial expressions - but I give him a reprieve for doing it in "Kick Ass!" 😋

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, of the big big actors in the world, how many are really truly character actors?  How many are really just doing themselves over and over, but hopefully getting picked for a roll that being themself suits?  I think Crowe is one.  He'd have two Oscars if he'd just kept his mouth shut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, goughy said:

Really, of the big big actors in the world, how many are really truly character actors?  How many are really just doing themselves over and over, but hopefully getting picked for a roll that being themself suits?  I think Crowe is one.  He'd have two Oscars if he'd just kept his mouth shut.

Brad Pitt is a true actor.  

I used to enjoy watching friends and thought they were all good actors.  Just brad Pitt did a guest star and he just showed them all up. 

Terri Hatcher did the same on fraseronce too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, good choice there T!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toolish said:

Christian Bale is one to me that stands out as an actor who does not seem to have a set role.

Agreed.

An obvious one would be Heath ledger too surely

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Parkside said:

J. Phoenix favourite for an Oscar for best actor?

 

Should have got one for playing Johnny Cash.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed Den of thieves on Netflix. Gerard Butler actually did a really good job of playing the agro loose cannon cop. Fifty cent must have paid for his part, omfg he is useless... But otherwise it was a easy to watch flick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 6:55 AM, more said:

I really enjoyed Den of thieves on Netflix. Gerard Butler actually did a really good job of playing the agro loose cannon cop. Fifty cent must have paid for his part, omfg he is useless... But otherwise it was a easy to watch flick

Funny. Better than I expected. Great end. 6/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Once upon a time in Hollywood last night...what a complete and utter load of crap...typical Tarantino, hours of mind numbingly pointless dialogue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, more said:

Watched Once upon a time in Hollywood last night...what a complete and utter load of crap...typical Tarantino, hours of mind numbingly pointless dialogue 

Tarantino is shit.  Pulp fiction was rubbish. 

He is so over rated.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed pulp fiction, though maybe it was just that I burst out laughing when uma snorted the heroine and got the adrenaline shot!  Love kill bills.  The only other one I've seen is reservoir dogs, and it sucked.  Boring as (if I recall).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peter said:

Tarantino is shit.  Pulp fiction was rubbish. 

He is so over rated.  

You’ll be blocked if you keep this line of commentary up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people tend to only include the movies he directed in their lists of Tarantino films.  FD2D he wrote and executive produced (you know, when they give you credit for producing when you really didn't produce).  I didn't like it either.

His best work was the joke in Desperado.

He displayed the same quality acting skills in an episode of Alias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? I actually thought it tied the story nicely together and was far improved after wavering IMO more recently. *

*Can't believe those stupid Ewoks make a cameo!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for being so negative, but  I saw  a good ol' USA WWII action/propaganda movie complete with the evil Nazi empire threatening the world peace.  I mean, it's the same basic story, over and over!  And, whilst there were great performances from a few of the leads - especially Daisy Ridley  as Rey -  many of the main characters were just plain silly.  Too much cheering, hugging and clapping as good triumphs over evil (just because it does) for me, and when they bring in aliens that look like big stoopid fishes and silly hairy things that somehow relate to the otherwise anthropomorphic world I just can't run with it.  And, whilst we marveled over the amazing alien CGI landscapes and special effects in 1977 it just doesn't cut it any more after 43 years -  I am just so over CGI that I can't wait for TOP GUN II where Tom, (bless his little Scientology socks!) has stated that there will be NO CGI and all stunts are the real deal.

Or maybe I was just in a sh1tty, contrary mood when I saw it? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to apologize. Agree with all what you say! There were lots best overlooked whilst watching, but thought overall was good escapism and as I said concluded the story nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 Underground on Netflix.  
 

the opening scene must have cost 40 million. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

6 Underground on Netflix.  
 

the opening scene must have cost 40 million. 

I really enjoyed it. It proved my inverse rating scale yet again-the worse the reviewers say a movie is the better it actually is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, more said:

I really enjoyed it. It proved my inverse rating scale yet again-the worse the reviewers say a movie is the better it actually is. 

Geez I must sound like a sour puss - i didn't like this either. Opening scenes were amazing, if not a little too long but I felt the rest of the movie lacked depth and direction. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeterW said:

Geez I must sound like a sour puss - i didn't like this either. Opening scenes were amazing, if not a little too long but I felt the rest of the movie lacked depth and direction. :(

Yeah it was average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Geez I must sound like a sour puss - i didn't like this either. Opening scenes were amazing, if not a little too long but I felt the rest of the movie lacked depth and direction. :(

If you want depth it's totally the wrong movie, but that's kind of like going to KFC and complaining there is no healthy options lol, it's a junk food movie, just sit back and enjoy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...