Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

Saw Lion King with my daughter on the weekend. She liked it, I thought it was just ok. 

Anyone seen Se7en yet? Great pic but pretty disturbing. Love to hear your comments on this one.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Anyone seen Se7en yet? Great pic but pretty disturbing. Love to hear your comments on this one.

You mean the movie from 1995?

3 minutes ago, more said:

You mean the movie from 1995?

Ha ha yes, that's it - I just picked it from my apple TV last night assuming it was a new movie.  I thought Brad and Kevin looked a bit young, but Morgan Freeman has always looked old!! I'd probably better read the movie description a bit better next time!! ☺️

• Haha 1

I watched a weird film yesterday called 'The Titan', about preparing astronauts for life on another planet.  It's started 'ok' then got bad and then got really really bad.  Stuck with it because I was too tired to even reach the remote.:blush:

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Ha ha yes, that's it - I just picked it from my apple TV last night assuming it was a new movie.  I thought Brad and Kevin looked a bit young, but Morgan Freeman has always looked old!! I'd probably better read the movie description a bit better next time!! ☺️

Lol I was wondering if they had done a remake! Yeah awesome movie, hell of an ending! 

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I watched a weird film yesterday called 'The Titan', about preparing astronauts for life on another planet.  It's started 'ok' then got bad and then got really really bad.  Stuck with it because I was too tired to even reach the remote.:blush:

Pretty much summed my thoughts exactly 

On 08/06/2019 at 1:48 PM, Peter said:

His brother came out and said his dad was accepting when he was a child and this was all a beat up to market himself better. 

Generally at least 3 sides to every story, your version, my version and what really happened. 😉

Ford Vs Ferrari is a good flick - Matt Damon and Christian Bale - can't go wrong!

Frozen 2: another sequel that should never have been made. At least thankfully, there are no songs that I can see being as annoyingly catchy as the first movie...

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Frozen 2: another sequel that should never have been made. At least thankfully, there are no songs that I can see being as annoyingly catchy as the first movie...

Did you watch this by yourself or got dragged along. I am hoping its the latter.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Ford Vs Ferrari is a good flick - Matt Damon and Christian Bale - can't go wrong!

Big Screen needed or can wait?

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Big Screen needed or can wait?

Probably not as much of an action flic as you might think, but what action there is is pretty good.  Either /either.

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Probably not as much of an action flic as you might think, but what action there is is pretty good.  Either /either.

Was good - enjoyed it. Young bloke LOVED it.

2 minutes ago, trinube said:

Was good - enjoyed it. Young bloke LOVED it.

A good follow up is either of the 2 x related documentaries on NetFlix, "24 hour war" and "Shelby American" (longer but better). Factually F Vs F was pretty accurate, even the portrayal  of the young Peter Miles being held back when Ken's car fatally crashed (we initially thought this might be made up!)  Peter is interviewed on Shelby American and gives some great insight into  Christian Bale's character, Ken Miles.

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

A good follow up is either of the 2 x related documentaries on NetFlix, "24 hour war" and "Shelby American" (longer but better). Factually F Vs F was pretty accurate, even the portrayal  of the young Peter Miles being held back when Ken's car fatally crashed (we initially thought this might be made up!)  Peter is interviewed on Shelby American and gives some great insight into  Christian Bale's character, Ken Miles.

Good car flick but full of factual mistakes... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-vs-ferrari-movie-mistakes

Saw it in Launceston Saturday week ago whilst down taking the 911 for a 2500km week long 'lap' of the island via many Targa Tasmania stages. :D

20 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Good car flick but full of factual mistakes... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-vs-ferrari-movie-mistakes

Saw it in Launceston Saturday week ago whilst down taking the 911 for a 2500km week long 'lap' of the island via many Targa Tasmania stages. :D

I think it is pretty obvious which parts were added for effect and, unless you are making a documentary (and there are a number of good ones around already), then the dramatisation needs to highlight the characters, mood and tempo to get the point across to an audience who would otherwise miss the subtleties and sentiments of the events as they unfold. And it needs to make money..... :)

And, as they say, "Porsche. There is no substitute." 

Just saw "Knives Out".  Worth seeing, not necessarily at the movies though - brilliant cast, Daniel Craig is really good, as are all the other big names that seem to work well together.  Few kitch moments but the plot and the twists are what really makes it.  2.25 hours long and it will be 2.10 hours before you have the full story

I was thinking about The Irishman, now on Netflix (I haven't watched it).  And I was thinking about mafioso type films, and I actually don't think I've ever really seem one before?  Ok, I've seen Donny Brasco, but being a biopic I don't know if it really counts.  And I have seen My Blue Heaven, but don't know if a Steve Martin and Rick Moranis comedy fits the criteria.

I've never seen any Godfathers, or Goodfellas.  I can't think of any others that I've actually seen?  I don't remember any plot lines from a film I've seen that would meet the criteria.

On 01/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, goughy said:

I was thinking about The Irishman, now on Netflix (I haven't watched it).  And I was thinking about mafioso type films, and I actually don't think I've ever really seem one before?  Ok, I've seen Donny Brasco, but being a biopic I don't know if it really counts.  And I have seen My Blue Heaven, but don't know if a Steve Martin and Rick Moranis comedy fits the criteria.

I've never seen any Godfathers, or Goodfellas.  I can't think of any others that I've actually seen?  I don't remember any plot lines from a film I've seen that would meet the criteria.

I watched this and I was rivetted - The Irishman is an awesome pic.  But how could it not be?!  One of Scorcese's all time greats starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci (also with with Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin... etc etc) AND supposedly based on the true bedside confessions of a mafia killer filmed with some great, almost Tarantino-like storytelling. Very long flic, but well worth the effort. 

...and you will at last find out what happened to Jo Hoffa...

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I watched this and I was rivetted - The Irishman is an awesome pic.  But how could it not be?!  One of Scorcese's all time greats starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci (also with with Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin... etc etc) AND supposedly based on the true bedside confessions of a mafia killer filmed with some great, almost Tarantino-like storytelling. Very long flic, but well worth the effort. 

...and you will at last find out what happened to Jo Hoffa...

I thought Joe Pesci was awesome, but De Niro is one of the most overrated actors ever-he just places the same stupid part with the same stupid facial expressions no matter what movie he is in.

19 minutes ago, more said:

I thought Joe Pesci was awesome, but De Niro is one of the most overrated actors ever-he just places the same stupid part with the same stupid facial expressions no matter what movie he is in.

You know, I think he HAS become somewhat of a caricature, but I really love it.  Apart from all the gangster movies he roles it out the same part for father-in-law from hell, Jack Byrnes in "Meet the parents" and again as crime boss Paul Vitti in "Analyse this!".  I can see that if you don't like the caricature it it would be very annoying. 

I think it's a bit like Samuel L Jackson's famous scene in Pulp Fiction (the "I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?!" one) and he's been playing pretty much the same character ever since - but I really love that, too! 

I really can't stand Nicholas cage now for the same reason -  same stoopid facial expressions - but I give him a reprieve for doing it in "Kick Ass!" 😋

• Like 1

Really, of the big big actors in the world, how many are really truly character actors?  How many are really just doing themselves over and over, but hopefully getting picked for a roll that being themself suits?  I think Crowe is one.  He'd have two Oscars if he'd just kept his mouth shut.

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Really, of the big big actors in the world, how many are really truly character actors?  How many are really just doing themselves over and over, but hopefully getting picked for a roll that being themself suits?  I think Crowe is one.  He'd have two Oscars if he'd just kept his mouth shut.

Brad Pitt is a true actor.  

I used to enjoy watching friends and thought they were all good actors.  Just brad Pitt did a guest star and he just showed them all up. 

Terri Hatcher did the same on fraseronce too. 

Yeah, good choice there T!

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

Christian Bale is one to me that stands out as an actor who does not seem to have a set role.

Agreed.

An obvious one would be Heath ledger too surely

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Parkside said:

J. Phoenix favourite for an Oscar for best actor?

Should have got one for playing Johnny Cash.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Den of thieves on Netflix. Gerard Butler actually did a really good job of playing the agro loose cannon cop. Fifty cent must have paid for his part, omfg he is useless... But otherwise it was a easy to watch flick

On 10/12/2019 at 6:55 AM, more said:

I really enjoyed Den of thieves on Netflix. Gerard Butler actually did a really good job of playing the agro loose cannon cop. Fifty cent must have paid for his part, omfg he is useless... But otherwise it was a easy to watch flick

Funny. Better than I expected. Great end. 6/10