Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

Was reading last week about movie box office takings.  Infinity war took about 250mill in its opening weekend in the US, and that weekend the total take in the US for all movies in all theatres was 314mill.

So they were predicting between 250 to 260mill for Endgame's first weekend, but thought it couldn't crack the 300mill because of that previous stat.  Well, it took 350mill in the US alone, and 1.2bill worldwide!  Take about a licence to print money!

I just bought my tickets for next Monday.

Heaven help anybody that spoils it for me between now & then.

I read an article explaining the other day that Thanos's snap was essentially worthless.  Since our world population has nearly tripled since the 1940's, it would have only helped for a very short time.

On 30/04/2019 at 7:07 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just bought my tickets for next Monday.

Heaven help anybody that spoils it for me between now & then.

Don't watch any tv then!  The spoiler free embargo period is over, and in the couple of ads I've seen so far there are a few spoilers!

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Don't watch any tv then!  The spoiler free embargo period is over, and in the couple of ads I've seen so far there are a few spoilers!

I don't watch much FTA TV, and I think my daughter has us watching Infinity War tonight. I won't be watching any TV before we go in the morning.

• Like 1

So, after ex has seen it are we allowed to talk about it???

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goughy said:

So, after ex has seen it are we allowed to talk about it???

All you want Goughy. :)

Have to give us your fresh immediate reaction.

Liked it, I thought Josh Brolin as Thanos was excellent, but 8/10 for me. Didn’t see the end coming.

Yeah, I think that's fair!  I thought it was a fitting end to it all, but while I watch movies over and over, I doubt this would be one of them.  

Spoilers on avenegers

Really enjoyed the movie, the captain America bit I found boring and superfluous, but then ive never enjoyed any of those movies.  Would have liked to have seen captain marvel and fury reunited.  All  I can say is bring on guardians 3 - hopefully with a healthy dose of Thor !

Loved it. Nine out of ten. Certainly not a "Classic", but great entertainment, and the 3 hours went in no time.

Spoilers coming.

I loved the "beer-sloth" Thor. Apparently a lot of teens didn't like that bit, and couldn't understand how he let himself go like that. It was meant to be funny guys, and it was.

Agree with the Captain America bit at the end. Superfluous.

I just wish they cleaned the cinema more often. I got some dust in my eyes a couple times. :)

Someone was a slobbering mess at my session.

Spoilers spoilers spoilers,..................

I loved the Thor thing too.  It's getting a bit of hate for the fat shaming; even his mother had a go!  And if you happened to watch Graham Norton about two weeks ago when Paul Rudd and Chris Hemsworth were on, it's even funnier!  Paul makes a comment, I think it was about people chewing them etc at stuff, and he implies it's all for Thor, cause, you know.  He's Thor, I mean look at him.  He's Thor, and I'm Ant-Man.  Then put it in the context of the movie and it was hilarious.

The producers have said the rest is the real hero of the story, and when Strange went back and looked at the 14mill possible futures, only one of them has the rat stepping on the button!

The only real issue with the cap thing, is when he goes back to live with Peggy, it creates a different branch reality, but to be sitting on the bench he has to return to the original reality; so I'm assuming he had to use the suit.

Loved how they started it - immediately pulling you in with an emotional element.

I liked how they plotted it all.  The early Thanos stuff, the way they had to do their plan.  Less of an action flick, more comedy heist film.  I was a little surprised how little they used Marvell.

Did you recognise the loan kid at the funeral?

A really real impressive setup of 22 movies over a decade.  It was really an incredible effort, and the DC guys really have a lot to learn, to compete on this level.

Can't wait to see what Gunn has planned for GOTG 3, and Taika has supposedly submitted a script for Thor 4.  Hemsworth was supposedly tired of how his role growing, but that's clearly changed, letting him have more of his natural comedic talent come to the fore.  Would fit well with Guardians.

So we have several TV series coming up!  Scarlett witch and Vision, supposedly a limited series, I guess set between Ultron and Infinity.  A Loki series, possibly covering his mischievous past and I guess his future, with the timeline branch.  And another with Sam and Bucky, maybe it'll cover how Sam becomes the new..........

Spoilers.

I was just thinking about the Cap America bit, and it allows Chris Evans to step out of the role, but for Marvel to continue the franchise with a new C-A.

My thoughts are the GoTG 3 will have Quill looking for Gomora. It will follow the plot line they've now developed.

And yeah, the boy was from Ironman 3. I could just pick the face (cause I watched it only a couple weeks ago). I wonder if he'll become a part in future.

And interesting seeing Robert Redford making a cameo in the part he played in Winter Soldier.

And the little bit with Natalie Portman, that was all old unused footage from Thor 2.  Nothing new shot.

My wife went to see Top End Wedding with girlfriends on Saturday night, she told me she loved it. That immediately tells me it's rubbish and I'd hate it. 

• Haha 3

On 06/05/2019 at 5:21 PM, Mike Del said:

My wife went to see Top End Wedding with girlfriends on Saturday night, she told me she loved it. That immediately tells me it's rubbish and I'd hate it. 

Reminds me of when I see a review of a movie and they rave about the cinematography I automatically put it in the REALLY REALLY boring basket.  😄 I fell for that one with Out of Africa.  Fool me once .....

• Like 1

I'll start by saying that the movie is fantastic, however if you go to Rocketman thinking it will be similar to Bohemian Rhapsody, you may be disappointed.

Great movie, Taron Egerton really shows his acting cred with as far removed from Eggsy in Kingsman as you can get.  Parts felt more like a few musical clips put together (with really good choreopgraphy) than really telling of a story, but still managed to get what was going on in Elton's head across really well.  Would say it will be in top 10 movies of the year and will be up for some serious nominations end of the year

Good to hear.  I'm looking forward to it.  Taron did all the singing, and Your Song was recorded live as it was being filmed.  Kingsman was an awful movie.  

In other awful movie news, Robert Pattinson has been confirmed as the next Batman! 

22 minutes ago, goughy said:

Kingsman was an awful movie.  

Go to the bathroom and wash your mouth out

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Go to the bathroom and wash your mouth out

It was a bloody shocker!  The stylised action sequences reminded me of the Charlies angels movie!  And the aren't many movies out there that I don't like!  I'm generally pretty easy to please.

Gridlocked on Netflix

Slow in parts but fark me at the end its a massive gun battle.

No thinking needed.  Just sit back and watch.

Old fashion shoot em up  Good v Bad

Gridlocked Poster

On 01/06/2019 at 3:37 PM, goughy said:

It was a bloody shocker!  The stylised action sequences reminded me of the Charlies angels movie!  And the aren't many movies out there that I don't like!  I'm generally pretty easy to please.

There are some movies that are,  by all measures, crap movies. Except they are just entertaining - classic example is "Hitman's Bodyguard" which you would watch just for SLJ's cliche lines (no one says MoFo like he does) or any Arny terminator movie.

And, being the sucker for a massive gun battle - it's Gridlocked on netflix tonight for me!

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

There are some movies that are,  by all measures, crap movies. Except they are just entertaining

Tank girl :)

• Like 1

Not a movie as such, but a mini-series on Netflix - When They See US.

Based on the Central Park 5, wrongly accused and subsequently exonerated.

Highly recommend.

image.png.72c399678238652a25b594feb87ef206.png

Rocketman is different, not what I expected, but I am looking at his music in a different way. Wow, mum & dad copped it big time. I nearly want to go back and watch it again before I decide what I think of it.

Just disappointed not one reference to Kim Il Jung in it at all, blatant false advertising

On 06/06/2019 at 2:51 AM, Pete said:

There are some movies that are,  by all measures, crap movies. Except they are just entertaining - classic example is "Hitman's Bodyguard" which you would watch just for SLJ's cliche lines (no one says MoFo like he does) or any Arny terminator movie.

And, being the sucker for a massive gun battle - it's Gridlocked on netflix tonight for me!

Lake Placid

15 hours ago, Hymie said:

Rocketman is different, not what I expected, but I am looking at his music in a different way. Wow, mum & dad copped it big time. I nearly want to go back and watch it again before I decide what I think of it.

His brother came out and said his dad was accepting when he was a child and this was all a beat up to market himself better. 

quentin tarantino can get all the stars  

14 hours ago, Peter said:

quentin tarantino can get all the stars  

hateful 8 on 70mm at Ritz this weekend, then the above a month later, gold

Apart from taking my daughter to see some kid's films, the last time we went to the cinema was to see Skyfall!

Well caught the train to the flicks at Miranda.... been a while since I've been to Westfield from the train, know how to park for the cinema but had to stop a couple and ask them where the cinemas are now when entering from the train station end....... guess i should get out more in the shire.

Saw Tarentino's new flick, once upon a time..... i felt tarantino is chasing his past, ok movie, drags on too long but you dont look at your watch for when is this going to finish.   Senseless violence which you find yourself laughing at, so he hasn't lost that ability.   Can guess his scripts and where they go these days, has lost the surprise of what pulp fiction was.  bit of chuckle when he recreated the travolta shirt scene from pulp fiction. 

good cast, margo robbie, amazing role, basically just a bimbo for 2 hours smiling.... not sure if that is a tarantino piss take at her or fair dinkum serious acting and will never know.  pitt was real good, not as good as his earlier stuff but good.  dicrapio? was good.  good to see bruce dern even if a bit part  - have liked him in his earlier work. pacino has done a lot better work. probably luke perrys last role for the 90210'ers, not sure?

worth seeing, not at the flicks though, not worth spending money on when you can eventually watch it for nicks at home eventually.  I dont see many movies at the flicks these days and this wont encourage me to go back. not sure what i'd rate it, some bits are pedestrian, and there are moments of better than good but the length of the film means its consistency to give it an overall score isnt there.....  so some bits are a 6 and it rises to an 8 or 9 for the second last scenes (the violence part). 

anyways, wait for it to get a tv or plane.

I see Parky's there today as well, will be good to hear his opinion.

A shout out that Free Solo is on SBS tomorrow night at 8.30. f you haven't seen it then here's your chance. Get on in, was no fluke it won an academy award.  Hateful Eight is on tonight if you want more violence ;)

I think there was Goss that originally Robbie had no speech at all, and test audiences or something forced the change.

2 hours ago, trinube said:

I see Parky's there today as well, will be good to hear his opinion.

A shout out that Free Solo is on SBS tomorrow night at 8.30. f you haven't seen it then here's your chance. Get on in, was no fluke it won an academy award.  Hateful Eight is on tonight if you want more violence ;)

reckon he will love it, he goes deep in everything he follows...sharks, tarrantino, music etc

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I think there was Goss that originally Robbie had no speech at all, and test audiences or something forced the change.

i know its a paid job and a gun director but if im a woman, i dont reckon i could do a role like that, you know gender equality, me too.... guess money talks

• Like 1

Tarantino movies seem to be decisive like that, often lots of love and lots of hate.  Pulp fiction I loved.  Kill Bills are two (or one) of my all time favs.  Hated Reservoir Dogs.  Do not remember one minute of Jackie Brown.  Haven't seen any of his others.

Saw it at the Randwick Ritz yesterday in 35mm, surely one of the best places to watch a movie in Australia. I give this one a 7. One for fans of the director. If you like westerns, retro 60's cars, culture and music and are into film/Hollywood (all ticks for me) then it will be up your alley. I felt it was long and built too long for the climax. It's probably the least quentin of any of his movies. Not many unique camera angles or dialogue between characters (DiCaprio and his young co-star the exception). Some fun cameos from children of his Pulp Fiction stars: Rumer Willis and Maya Hawke (Uma's daughter) and the climax is certainly worth waiting for.

I was spoiled as I watched Pulp Fiction 2 days before this so anything pales horribly in comparison.

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Saw it at the Randwick Ritz yesterday in 35mm, surely one of the best places to watch a movie in Australia. I give this one a 7. One for fans of the director. If you like westerns, retro 60's cars, culture and music and are into film/Hollywood (all ticks for me) then it will be up your alley. I felt it was long and built too long for the climax. It's probably the least quentin of any of his movies. Not many unique camera angles or dialogue between characters (DiCaprio and his young co-star the exception). Some fun cameos from children of his Pulp Fiction stars: Rumer Willis and Maya Hawke (Uma's daughter) and the climax is certainly worth waiting for.

I was spoiled as I watched Pulp Fiction 2 days before this so anything pales horribly in comparison.

pulp fiction is all time.  you had the dialogue over the head job as well.    

Ah pulp fiction.  Fond memories.  I started giggling in the cinema that "she's gonna snort the heroine", and then burst out laughing when she sat back up, wiping her nose etc before it fully hit her.  I think the whole cinema stared at me!