Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

Have zero interest in the whole superhero/comic book genre. Saw the original Ironman and it left me cold and fell asleep half way through the first X Men. Not sure what that says about me. 

Ummmm, says you're maybe not a superhero movie fan??

And if you are any sort of a fan of theirs, Midnight Oil 1984 is a must see. I went with a couple of mates from school and had hairs standing on end and tears welling up with the power, drive, and personal relevance of their mid 80's glory days. Perfect soundtrack to my mid to late teens. **** they were good. Still are after seeing them in the Domain in November.

If you are  a fan I also highly recommend catching Rob Hirst on the Conversations podcast.

Have just been to Singapore and had an opportunity to watch a couple of movies on the plane - not the best viewing experience but nonetheless.

Amongst others I watched Black Panther.  Was pretty cool and would like to watch again on a better / bigger screen.

However also watched The Darkest Hour,  based on Winston Churchill in WW2 and also LBJ, the story of him taking over the presidency following the assasination of JFK.  Both very, very good and highly recommended.

watched Swingin Safari last night. Good for a laugh and great nostalgia if you remember having a dry clad pool in the backyard, having a fat labrador,, cracker night, wearing ice cream containers on your head to warn off the magpies, evil knieval, sunken lounge rooms...

Edited by Prince

Watched a cracker of a thriller last night on Netflix called Calibre. It's set in the Scottish highlands and gets a little tense. :death:

6 hours ago, The Customer said:

Watched a cracker of a thriller last night on Netflix called Calibre. It's set in the Scottish highlands and gets a little tense. :death:

Yes, that one that was a goodie.

I'm watching an 18hr doco on the Vietnam War.  It's excellent, the best I've seen on the war & I've watched many.  One telling fact was a memo from a senior pollie (or could have been LBJ) which assessed their involvement as:

70% to maintain American pride (i.e. that the US could not be defeated - a telling insight into the US psyche) - FAIL

20% to stop communism - FAIL

10% to help the people of South Korea - FAIL

LBJ knew it was a complete clusterf*ck, the Viet Cong & North Vietnamese Army would just go on and on absorbing huge losses, they were losing, should not be there, but could not find a way to extract themselves.  Sound familiar (Middle East)?

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

We went and saw Equaliser 2 tonight. I don't think it was as good as the first, but still a good movie to take your mind off things.

3 1/2 stars

Stafford Cinemas however: First time there in a few years. 6 stars out of 5. I've been passing on the opportunity to see movies with the family lately as sitting for 2 hours kills my knee. The new recliners they have at Stafford are awesome. Lay back, legs up, and the knees are straight. The only fault I can find is that laid back your head is at the wrong angle to watch the screen. My jacket behind the head solved that and made it a perfect position.  

Saw Mission Impossible - great flic - awesome action with all the right mix of goodies and baddies and a villainess to die for 😍

Great non-CGI and low CGI action scenes that are spectacular including Tom's nemesis jump that broke his leg while filming.

• Like 1

Saw First Man on the weekend - pretty good albeit long (2.5 hours). Even 14yo trinube liked it which was nice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trinube said:

Saw First Man on the weekend - pretty good albeit long (2.5 hours). Even 14yo trinube liked it which was nice.

Yep got 4.5 stars from me. Didn’t notice the 2.5 hours 

• Like 1

Should also mention it's shot in such a way that it might be tough if you have a queasy stomach. It's hard to know how realistic it is but it certainly conveys the terror of a takeoff.

There is a sim ride at Epcot that does the same thing. A simulated Saturn takeoff. I laid down in the waste dump of nauseous detritus on the ground outside for 30 minutes turning 7 shades of green and luckily couldn’t eat for the rest of the day

• Sad 1

Soft. I ate a hotdog and slurped on a milkshake during that one 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yoyo said:

Soft. I ate a hotdog and slurped on a milkshake during that one 

Is that a euphemism? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Saw A Star is Born this afternoon, in a nutshell - brilliant.  Much better than I was expecting and it will get at least one oscar this year.  Ford Fairlane (Andrew Dice Clay) is in it as well, but not recognisable (I had to google which character he actually played after seeing his name in the credits) and playing a fairly straight role