Prince

MOVIE REVIEWS

Still one of my favorite sub scenes is the emergency surface in the hunt for red October. Imagine riding that? I can't for the life of me remember the old ww2 movie I used to love, it was a yearly regular weekend movie. Where the nazi sub and US destroyer are hunting each other.

Could be ' the Sea Wolves' and another one was 'Above Us, the Waves' but the scenario was reversed in the latter.

I'm sure that's the one MM. Thanks. One of those regular, once a year every year weaken movies.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

My wife took our youngest to see the Lego Movie when it first came out. He loved it, but she said it was the worst movie she'd ever seen, and unless I bought her another diamond ring, I'd have to watch it with him when it came out on video.

Well, no diamond was forthcoming, so I just kept putting of the video. It was finally on Foxtel on the weekend, so he recorded it, and I couldn't get out of it.

I enjoyed it. Whilst not envoking any great intellectual stimulation, it was fun to sit & watch it with the kids. Even my 19yr old daughter enjoyed it. There was a plethora of stars, from Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Will Ferrell & Channing Tatum, to Shaq O'neal playing a lego Shaq, and Anthony Daniels (the voice of C3PO in the original Star Wars Movies), playing a lego C3PO.

Got it at the Souq. In Bahrain we're already watching Star Wars 8. (spoiler: Rey is the love child of Skywalker and Leia's incestuous affair)

I just watched 9 at Yoyo's joint.

Turns out that Chewbacca is actually Darth Vader in Disguise. I was like Wtf! Didn't see that coming....

• Like 2

Have you all seen Everest? (not sure if you've covered it here yet but I did a search and it came up with zip)

I think it would be very interesting to get a Triathlete's/Endurance athlete's impression of this movie/even (it is based on the true story of the fateful 1996 everest attempts).

Revenant looks right up my alley. Will be seeing it for sure.

Hateful Eight starts Thursday. See it in 70mm print for the first week. Going Thurs in town. SPEWING I missed tickets to Cremorne Orpheum for Wed night. Live Q and A with QT, Kurt Russell and Samuel L Jackson.

I saw Everest and thought it was good and very true the book, Into Thin Air. The thing is, the book is outstanding so I found myself comparing the film to the book.

The Big Short. Hmnnn - never thought I'd get an economics lecture from a naked Margot Robbie in bubble bath - I don't think I will ever forget the nuances of "sub prime loans" as long as I live.... :)

The Big Short. Hmnnn - never thought I'd get an economics lecture from a naked Margot Robbie in bubble bath - I don't think I will ever forget the nuances of "sub prime loans" as long as I live.... :)

Saw The Big Short last night. I dun git it but wanted to like it. :shy:

Hateful 8. 70mm Roadshow at George St, Randwick Ritz and Cremorne Orpheum until Thurs I think, then in normal cinemas.

The 70mm roadshow was good, a real nostalgic event for 45+ year olds who remember the short-backed velour movie seats at the Cronulla Cinema, Kogarah Roxy or whatever it was called, the organ on stage playing at overture and intermission and the audible sound of the projector during quiet moments. The extra wide angle was great with the cinematography in this flick.

Started with an overture, highlights of the soundtrack for 5 minutes with a graphic on screen. ZERO ads and trailers for other flicks. I would pay $10 extra to not have to watch 25 minutes of advertising every film FFS.

This showing has an intermission which divided the film nicely. If you are a Tarantino fan you will enjoy it, the dialogue between Kurt Russell and SamLJ's characters is up to Tarantino's usual standard. Jennifer Jason Leigh is brilliant as is Tim Roth who had some great lines and was very funny. The first act builds suspense and sets up the last 45 minutes where the mystery unfolds and the violence ensues. It is strange, this is probably the most graphic violence in any of his movies but you cannot help but crack up laughing at the absurdity of it. The mystery continues until the final scene

I found the subplot exploring racism and prejudice pretty overt and will probably not go down too well with the gun totin' crackers in the US. The Chapterisation of the film is getting a little old I reckon as is nigger and mofo a little. Tarantino has dined out on his formula for a decade or more now, nothing will ever come close to Pulp Fiction for mine and this one doesn't either. He reckons he has 2 movies left before he retires, I hope he makes a total change in direction and surprises the shit out of us all for the next one.

Initially I gave it 5 smoking six-shooters out of 5, but on reflection I might drop that back to 4/5 only because I am a tragic. If you haven't liked any of his others, don't bother. If you have, go see it. You know what to expect and he delivers as always.

See, I loved Pulp Fiction (rest of the cinema was disgusted at me when I laughed at the OD scene), Kill Bills are in my all time favs, but Reservoir Dogs did zero for me. Haven't seen his others.

So there's a big 'Oscars are white' thing going on because not enough black actors etc have been nominated in the last year or two. I do have to wonder, have there been any performances where a lack of nomination was questionable?

I remember the year Sidney Poitier received his lifetime achievement award (most deservedly) Denzel won for Training Day (I get why Russell Crowe didn't win for A Beautiful Mind; he shoulda kept his mouth shut) but Haley Berry for Monsters Ball, which was just a bloody awful movie.

yeah i don't get it, it crops up now and again. But there are thousands and thousands of voters, so hopefully their is a good slip of not just back or white but all cultures. Next year they may say the academy has something against the poms.

So there's a big 'Oscars are white' thing going on because not enough black actors etc have been nominated in the last year or two. I do have to wonder, have there been any performances where a lack of nomination was questionable?

I remember the year Sidney Poitier received his lifetime achievement award (most deservedly) Denzel won for Training Day (I get why Russell Crowe didn't win for A Beautiful Mind; he shoulda kept his mouth shut) but Haley Berry for Monsters Ball, which was just a bloody awful movie.

Director of Selma was African American and female. Should have been nominated.

Lead actor in Selma was an Englishman of Nigerian descent. Should have been nominated

Neither nominated. all 20 acting noms were caucasian.

The film was nominated for best picture and won best original song for Glory. Could have been up for Production design, costume. After seeing it I was astounded David Oleyowo didn't win best actor for playing MLK.

I think in the 50th anniversary of the March on Selma, it was seized upon that the voters are white, elderly, probably predominantly Jewish males . Al Sharpton whipped it up. It must be noted that 12 years a slave won best pic the year before and also got a supporting actress win.

In 2012, the results of a study conducted by the Los Angeles Times were published describing the demographic breakdown of approximately 88% of AMPAS' voting membership. Of the 5,100+ active voters confirmed, 94% were Caucasian, 77% were male, and 54% were found to be over the age of 60. 33% of voting members are former nominees (14%) and winners (19%).[31]

In 2012, the results of a study conducted by the Los Angeles Times were published describing the demographic breakdown of approximately 88% of AMPAS' voting membership. Of the 5,100+ active voters confirmed, 94% were Caucasian, 77% were male, and 54% were found to be over the age of 60. 33% of voting members are former nominees (14%) and winners (19%).[31]

Â

Clearly old white guys are more qualified. Move along, nothing to see here. (sarcasm)