Sign in to follow this  
thom

First Tri / Aero bike pick

Hi

I've just joined the triathlon family, completing the Trithegong Olympic distance. I competed on a Cell road bike I found in a bin... Just changed the front wheel and the pedals. The problem is that the frame is a size 59.5cm and I'm 1.73m. Hence the urgency to find a new bike since I registered to the Port Stephen Olympic and Cairns Ironman 79.3.

I spent my Saturday morning going from one bike shop to another in Sydney. I want a bike a can train and race with.

I short listed 3 bikes that suit my budget ($4,000 max for the bike and race wheel - if the bike is not already equipped):

- Felt AR3 - $2,700 (Ultegra / Shimano RS31)

- Cervelo S3 - $3,800 (Ultegra / Mavic Cosmic Elite S)

- Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 $3,700 (Ultegra / Giant P-SLR0 Aero; 55mm deep full-composite )

Can I please ask you expert advise? Any tip or experience is welcomed as I can't make my mind. Re the Felt I would maybe add and extra set of wheels to race.

Also with my height being in between 51 cm and 54 cm, is there a best option considering the type of usage I will have.

Thanks a lot for your help, I know choosing a bike is personal but I'm not familiar enough with the technical side of things to make a quick decision.

Thom

All 3 are good bikes. But fit will be the most important factor.

Ensure the shop you are going to knows you want to do Tris on it and maybe get them to do a rough fit with some clip on aero bars for you. A bike that fits you in the standard road position may not adapt perfectlyto an aero position.

The Giant Propels are good value for money especially with some decent deep wheels on board. The only drawback with the Giant is that the brakes aren't fantastic.

The Cervelo by all accounts is a great bike but a bit on the exxy side in comparison.

The Felt is also a good bike and has a bit of room to move for getting some wheels. I used to own an AR1 and the ride was a little harsh but that was a few years ago and hopefully they have improved on them since then.

I have looked at the above roadies as well, but also have seriously considered these two. The problem with having many options is that I can never make up my mind and then end up not buying at all.

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-helios-a8x-aero-carbon-road-bike-shimano-u

Key Features

ACX Aero UCI approved Carbon Frame and Fork.

Full Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2 group set 22 Speed

Shimano RS81-C50 Carbon wheels with alloy braking surface

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX clincher tyres

Entity Carbon stem, handlebar and seatpost

Weight = 7.45kg (54cm)

5 Year Warranty on frame

Full manufacturers warranty on parts

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-helios-a9.0-aero-carbon-road-bike-shimano

http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2013/08/test-lab-polygon-helios

Key Features

ACX Aero Carbon frame and fork.

UCI approved

Full Shimano DuraAce 9000 groupset 22 Speed

Ritchey Carbon WCS finishing kit

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Clincher wheelset

Schwalbe Ultremo Tyres

Weight = 7.05kg (54cm)

5 Year Warranty on frame

I know I'm selling it but, the alloy cervelo in tri trade would be a good place to start. cheap too.

• Like 3

Hi Thom,

I just bought a second hand 2014 model S3 and I like it a lot. I considered all 3 models that you've listed and decided that the S3 was the best option.

It's a really nice bike to ride and for me it will do the job of being both a road bike and my triathlon bike with the addition of some clip on tri bars.

Good luck with the purchasing!!

I think you should pick the bike you like the look of the most. At this stage you're probably not going to be able to feel the difference between a good ride or a bad ride, they will all feel pretty much the same. Just get something that you like the look of and want to get out there and ride it. I started on a Merida Reacto which I loved, still do like the look of them and think they are a good starting point for people getting into tris.

Lets be honest in the next 12-24 months if you get into this sport you'll be dropping $5-10k on a TT bike so this bike won't really matter all that much in the long run :)

• Like 1

I have a AR4 old model.

ultegra equipped. Great bike.

If i hade the money at the time would have brought a S3.

Now happy with the AR,and if you buy the AR and upgrade the wheels

is there any reason would would be looking at an S series Cervelo over a P series, as I am starting to look into a new (or second hand bike and I think i'm possibly in love with the idea of getting a P3)

I ride a $900 2009 Fuji Roubaix with Shimano R500s and no prospects of upgrading in the near future.

I hate you all!!! :taz:

Naut, you paid 3 times more than I did for my tt bike, though mine is 7 years older than yours ! Do I win anything? Did I mention my roadie is another 3 years older still and has a quill stem ;)

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

is there any reason would would be looking at an S series Cervelo over a P series, as I am starting to look into a new (or second hand bike and I think i'm possibly in love with the idea of getting a P3)

S series is an aero framed road bike whilst the P series is an aero framed TT or Tri bike.

If you're anticipating a number of years doing tris, then the P series is where it's at.

• Like 1

Goughy at least you have a TT bike so I am still winning.

We need to have a "Post your crappy ride" thread.

Naut, you paid 3 times more than I did for my tt bike, though mine is 7 years older than yours ! Do I win anything? Did I mention my roadie is another 3 years older still and has a quill stem ;)

Save $ on Eroica rides!

given that the difference between a 2k road bike and and a 4k road bike in performance is probably stuff all, and that if you do enjoy tris there is an almost certain TT purchase in the future, I would suggest going for something lower end for your road bike purchase leaving the $$ for a TT bike in the future, heck I'd just buy a used road bike - but that's me.

Goughy at least you have a TT bike so I am still winning.

We need to have a "Post your crappy ride" thread.

Hey..... My rides rock!

Have you looked at the 2015 model Cervelo P2?

For about $3500 you're getting high end aerodynamics at a price point that is similar to what you want to spend.

Also, if you can get your hands on a 2014 model P2 in your size you could pick one up for about $2500.

It of course depends what you want the bike for. If it is for tris only, I'd get a TT or Tri bike. If you want to do competitive cycling and tris as well. Get a roadie with clip ons.

If it was me and triathlon was the sport I was keen on, I'd get the 2015 P2.

Cheers,

Jamie

I wouldn't spend a whole heap on the roadie. If you're like most triathletes out there, we all get hooked pretty quickly and buying equipment is addictive. I can remember a bike store mechanic saying that they lick their lips when someone like yourself comes in as they sell you a road bike before coming back in months later wanting to buy a full tri bike and this would be what most people did on this site. Buy something good now before wasting your money on something you're not 100% happy with

Edited by alexholbrook

If triathlon is the reason you want the bike why are you choosing between 3 road bikes?

Yes they are "aero" but you still will not get the full advantage of a dedicated Tri bike. If triathlon is what the bike is for I would be going for a Tri bike for sure. Same bike to train and race on.

For 4 k you can get a very nice one too. I think it's a myth that people need a road bike to train for triathlon.

If triathlon is the reason you want the bike why are you choosing between 3 road bikes?

Yes they are "aero" but you still will not get the full advantage of a dedicated Tri bike. If triathlon is what the bike is for I would be going for a Tri bike for sure. Same bike to train and race on.

For 4 k you can get a very nice one too. I think it's a myth that people need a road bike to train for triathlon.

This is true. I know alot of people who only have a TT bike for racing and training.