roxii

Compulsory flappy numbers on bike

Just wear the number. It's not a hard thing to do.

yep. And if everyone is the same, whats the problem?

But then are they going to enforce it? I cant see TO's on course busting folks for this. Love to see them stop people at t1 exit tho! Would be chaos! Have to have a double back chute for the naughties without having to go head on back into everyone else

edit... damn typo. And nealo quoted me, so probably no point in fixing it now! Did it anyway

Edited by The Turtle

But then are they going to emforce it?

Exactly!

If they're going to make a big deal about then enforce the friggen rule!

They mad a song and dance about it at the Husky briefing so I decided instead of putting it on in T2 I'd put it on in T1,

Many Hundreds (yes hundreds) of people didn't.

• Like 1

I was tech delegate at Husky and this was an issue that came up.

Race numbers, visible from behind on the bike leg protect the innocent. For long course, TO's were "encouraging" athletes to wear their race number with a race belt on the bike leg and some were sent back into transition to attach it. No one was penalised if noted on the bike course without a number visible to the rear.

It was mentioned in the athlete info booklet prior to husky and it is the only way a TO can clearly identify who's who in a group 50 m up the road. Helmet and seat post stickers are more for bike ID and race day picture ID, it is not practical for a TO.

The TO approach at Husky was more educative than enforcement. If you have a race belt, wear it, visible from the rear as you leave T1.

For future events, read the pre race information carefully and be prepared to have your race bib with you on the bike unless there is a clear direction, agreed between the RD and TD, not to.

At the Gong this weekend, TO's will again be encouraging all athletes to wear their race bibs out on the bike course.

I will be there somewhere with my tranny cap on if you want to discuss further.

Only this time, I expect TGL has made his own sleeping arrangements?

I was tech delegate at Husky and this was an issue that came up.

Race numbers, visible from behind on the bike leg protect the innocent. For long course, TO's were "encouraging" athletes to wear their race number with a race belt on the bike leg and some were sent back into transition to attach it. No one was penalised if noted on the bike course without a number visible to the rear.

It was mentioned in the athlete info booklet prior to husky and it is the only way a TO can clearly identify who's who in a group 50 m up the road. Helmet and seat post stickers are more for bike ID and race day picture ID, it is not practical for a TO.

The TO approach at Husky was more educative than enforcement. If you have a race belt, wear it, visible from the rear as you leave T1.

For future events, read the pre race information carefully and be prepared to have your race bib with you on the bike unless there is a clear direction, agreed between the RD and TD, not to.

At the Gong this weekend, TO's will again be encouraging all athletes to wear their race bibs out on the bike course.

I will be there somewhere with my tranny cap on if you want to discuss further.

While this is all good, if they want to enforce it I'd say the competitor booklet needs to be changed.

This is from the Husky booklet this year. To me it seems ambiguous. It must be worn on the bike and run, or you can just pin it on for the run.

"You will also be issued with 1 race bib at registration. This will need to be visible on your back of your clothing for the bike leg and on the front of your clothing for the run leg. This can be achieved by using a RACE BELT available for purchase at Registration. You also have the option to pin your number on the front after you have completed your bike leg."

If I didn't have a number on as I left T1 and was sent back for it, I'd be pissed, as they say the competitor booklet forms part of the briefing.

(my personal opinion is I don't care - as long as it's consistent and not ambiguous between the booklet and the morning briefing (or within the booklet itself)

My very first race as a TO was a TQ race at Redcliffe. My role was to police bibs being on at the exit of T1. Had to send a few people back, including the bloke that was just in front of spartan. Fortunately, spartan had his on and managed to get a head start on the bike which all fell to pieces when he ran past the run turn around :shy:

royds you need a bib under your chin to catch all the excrement dripping from your mouth....my friend :)

And then some....

I love it when you play hard to get!!!!!!!

Might even take off my compression socks this time...

So does this mean in reality they should be making race belts (of some sort) a compulsory item?

or give you two race numbers so you can pin one on your jersey and one on your run shirt.

Ah the good ol days. Port Mac 2006, where bike and run leg had different sponsors and diferent bibs with their logo. I ended up on the run with both as forgot to take the bike one off.

it is the only way a TO can clearly identify who's who in a group 50 m up the road.

There is no way I could read one of those bibs from 50m away. If someone stood at the other end of the pool I'd be flat out making out if they were male or female let alone trying to read a bib that's probably horizontal anyway.

Seems an odd rule but if it is a rule in a race I do I'll just wear it.

• Like 2

There is no way I could read one of those bibs from 50m away. If someone stood at the other end of the pool I'd be flat out making out if they were male or female let alone trying to read a bib that's probably horizontal anyway.

Seems an odd rule but if it is a rule in a race I do I'll just wear it.

Spot on :smile1:

Exactly!

If they're going to make a big deal about then enforce the friggen rule!

Agree totally. I don't really care if wearing Bib Numbers on the bike is a rule or not, but if it is then it should be enforced!

The same thing applies to having numbers (or Age Category) written on the arms and legs. If it's a rule or a requirement at that particular race then they should enforce it. It bugs me when you see people get the Category Number written on their calf, and then straight away they put compression socks over it.

As far as policing these rules go, at the exit of T1 you have your grumpiest TA Official together with the slowest and most incompetent 'number writer' you've ever seen writing the numbers on people with the biggest, fattest black texta you could imagine. As far as the Bib Numbers go, the number writer can write their number on a blank bib and give them 4 safety pins to attach it. Once they've got their number on (as per the rules) they can proceed on the bike leg.

No doubt there'd be a fair hold-up at the first couple of events, and you'd need officials with some balls, but people would soon learn!

And before anyone arcs up, yes I'd be prepared to do that job. :taz:.

• Like 4

One of these days the issue of drafting will be taken out of the dark ages and solved with technological innovation.

For example, we already wear an electronic device on our ankle. If the signal from the ankle chip could be detected by devices alongside the road, then a significant number of these placed along the bike course could determine at separate stages whether someone was continuing to ride within the penalty zone of another rider for a period of time. Of course, they would not cover the entire course but observations by a TO are also very random. If the detection zones were randomly placed and unable to be identified by the competitors, they would provide a significant deterrent.

If pinged for drafting or blocking in the detection zones, a time penalty could be added to the individual's finish time. No TOs on bikes required, no disputes entered into, no penalty box with TOs required. Surely something like this would delight the RD.