roxii

Compulsory flappy numbers on bike

On Elite Energy's facebook page yesterday they posted that

"The wearing of Race Bibs on the BIKE and RUN will be enforced in all triathlons from now on. Most convenient and efficient way is to use a Race Belt. These are available for around $20 at most bike shops or tri shops or at the events, or you can use a piece of elastic and pin your number to it"

There was no reference to a TA ruling or anything similar, does anyone know if this is across the board or an Elite Energy thing only?

I couldn't care less, as long as it's standard across all events! I know there's briefings to read etc which explain it (I remember seeing people turned around at the bike mount at Mool tri once because of no race numbers on), but really that sort of thing should be standard across the country.

Goughy, I've done races where it was compulsory on the bike only for half the field not bother with it. Maybe they "fell off" while riding. I know mine will fall off next time I have to ride with one.

• Like 1

It hasn't been required at Kurnell for a while now

I use a belt there and clip it on on my way out on the run. At EE events I just do the same thing in T1, and turn the number around on my way out of T2

First world problem, but I'd really rather not have it on the bike

What is the price difference between plastic pin on bibs and fabric adhesive bibs?

*yawn* Just spent 30 seconds on the Internet and found some that appear cheaper than the plastic pin on ones.

I wonder if elite energy ordering a couple thousand bibs and stuff each season could wrangle a deal for some adhesive numbers without going bankrupt...

Hopefully if my number falls off while on the bike I won't be done for littering on the course!

Mine normally falls off in T1. Cannot for the life of me find a way of keeping it on...

Edited by zed

Hopefully if my number falls off while on the bike I won't be done for littering on the course!

Haha, but if your using an official Hills Triathlon race belt they will stay secure for a very long time :)

There was no reference to a TA ruling or anything similar, does anyone know if this is across the board or an Elite Energy thing only?

Even though I am a TO (as I have posted a few times) what I am about to post is my personal view and not an official comment or view at all. We haven't been formally notified about this change via email but I also wouldn't expect to be notified until the morning of the race either (but am glad to see competitors being notified earlier).

As for why they may possibly be going back to requiring the numbers on the bike, my belief is that it is mainly about visibility. When you see someone drafting, blocking, passing from a distance without the bib you cannot write down his number until you catch up to them. This can make it tough if there are more than 2 or 3 people at fault as you need to chase them down individually (and magically as you catch the pack everyone breaks up and is legal again). By having the bib on the back the TO will be able to write down the numbers of all (or at least most) offenders and then ride up to them to notify them of the penalties.

Again nothing official and just my take on the change. But the "not requiring numbers" is a fairly recent thing in NSW and many events still required them.

I find it is the holes that fail! The closer they are to the edge of the bib the more chance they have to rip.

That happened to me at Husky. One of the holes in my LC number was already torn when I received it

So after thinking 'what would MacGyver do?' taped over the holes from both sides with electrical tape and punched new, stronger holes

I might do the same at Port as a precaution

• Like 1

In the briefing at Husky they said that there had been significant amounts of discussion before agreeing that bib numbers should be worn on the bike. The reason given was to help distinguish people involved in drafting.

Sounds like a considered decision and makes sense to me. Allows the TO to watch a pattern of behaviour with confidence, instead of pinging black and white offences that might be accidental and could be let slide. If they see the same guy not dropping back repeatedly, for example, they can ping him - confidently based on race number.

I don't like wearing the race belt, especially on the run (so prefer to pin my number to a shirt and change in T2) but I dislike riding around massive packs of drafters more. So it's okay with me.

My bib number had a pre-broken hole too though, which seems odd. I just poked a new hole in it. Problem solved.

The pre-punched holes are never in the right place for my race belt. So I put a bit of cloth tape over the right spot and punch a new hole. Never had one rip yet.

My understanding (perhaps as a TO, perhaps not) is the wearing of the bib on the bike depends wholly and solely on how many forms of ID a competitor has, ie bike number + arm number = no bib required. If the RD only writes a number on your arm you need the bib. If they only give you a bike number you need a bib. There should always be two forms of id in case one rubs off or falls off.

For the HB100 we supply a bike number, helmet number, race bib and also number competitors' arms. Race bibs aren't compulsory on the bike. We also have them made of a special water resistant, tear resistant paper and I've yet to see one fall off in the 3 years we've used them. The holes are place well in from the edge and we may have borrowed the dimensions of the bib from a large multinational triathlon organisation.

• Like 1

Geez, I wish I had big problems like this. I always put mine on for the bike via a race belt. I have a spare if someone wants one.

FM

I agree Flanny. You have to put it on somewhere. I don't care if it's in T1 or T2. I use a Spibelt and I don't even realise the number's there.

I use the same belt for bike and run, so always have my number on the bike too. Doesn't worry me. I use a belt that also carries my asthma meds and other assorted drugs.

You guys aren't thinking about the extra watts these things require while flapping around on the bike!!!!!!!!!! :pissedoff:

You guys aren't thinking about the extra watts these things require while flapping around on the bike!!!!!!!!!! :pissedoff:

I know you don't mean me with that angry face...... I don't go fast enough for anything to flap :shy:

The reason given was to help distinguish people involved in drafting.

I don't draft, so can I put mine on in T2?

Suggest make those "pin on" numbers just a bit smaller e.g. 2/3, would still be readable at a distance, and a better fit for small skinnies and reduce flapping.

Body numbering is becoming more difficult.

Seems almost everyone who is ordering suits from the club are ordering the sleeved ones (I have myself as well), and some people are wearing calf compression.

good to see the folk at ironman for Mooloolaba this year have taken the sensible route - they know how so not aero those flappy number things are.

EXTRACT FROM RACE BRIEFING:

Race number to be worn on the "RUN" only. Does that mean they will DQ anyone who wears it on the bike?

as for needing to identify drafters, why don't they have 4 helmet stickers - one for each quarter - problem solved.

Edited by Cat Lady

as for needing to identify drafters, why don't they have 4 helmet stickers - one for each quarter - problem solved.

That's not a bad idea - or at least a number on the back/tail of the helmet.

So you pay hundreds of dollars for a helmet with great ventilation only to cover them with stickers? And have you ever tried to get those suckers off? No thanks.

I have trouble with the stickers staying on my helmet. It is well ventilated (not an aero lid) and doesn't have smooth flat surfaces for the sticker - so this almost always comes off. There is certainly no way a sticker on the back would last 5 seconds.

I don't mind using a number belt, but do get annoyed when the holes in the numbers are at a non-standard spacing (made with a punch for a 2-ring binder), or too close to the edge and prone to breaking. The suggestions here about making your own holes are good - but that's another piece of equipment I need to remember for my race kit.

I don't find that a number at the back flaps on the bike. But I do have trouble getting it to stay on the front for the run - it seems to want to shuffle around to the side/back.

It is intended to assist in the policing of drafting.

It is not an Elite Energy requirement.

I may or may not have heard this information from the biggest and most beautiful of Trannie men, a shining light to a generation of lost souls and an inspiration to all of those who aspire to dominate all that is Clydesdale...

• Like 1

Maybe goughy could offer his falsies as bib hole punchers at races?

:)

jaws-teeth-james-bond-prop-replica-9.jpg

My hero (even more so now days), a travesty he is no longer with us! Vale Richard!

Both times at world champs it was not required to wear a bib number on the bike, you need two forms of ID helmet sticker + bike sticker ...why the bib?

They are annoying, YES they also cause drag and they get ripped especially in the rain. It will not help drafting much I believe TOs are vastly outnumbered and cheats will always cheat.

What about you get a big black permanent marker put a big age cat on back calf big black race number on each arm and get 4 saftey pins and just pin the number to your singlet..problem solved

What, nobody likes the idea of the adhesive fabric numbers instead?

Just peel and stick it onto your Tri top or jersy, they are water proof, tear resistant and non flapping.

The problem is solved... right?

What, nobody likes the idea of the adhesive fabric numbers instead?

Just peel and stick it onto your Tri top or jersy, they are water proof, tear resistant and non flapping.

The problem is solved... right?

1 or 2, Front or back or both?

They want it on the back for cycle and front for run.

It is intended to assist in the policing of drafting.

It is not an Elite Energy requirement.

I may or may not have heard this information from the biggest and most beautiful of Trannie men, a shining light to a generation of lost souls and an inspiration to all of those who aspire to dominate all that is Clydesdale...

So how is Royds ??

FM

What if you're in budgie smugglers and a crop top?

Does it stick to the skin?

Yes, two.

What if you're in budgie smugglers and a crop top?

Does it stick to the skin?

Yes, put it on your skin if you have to.

Great! So it is all good to go then, adhesive numbers and no flappyness. Can someone just email Elite Energy so they can get it sorted...?

Looks like we just nailed the biggest controversy in the history of Australian Triathlon and it only took 2 pages. Nice work people!

hologram numbers projected from the rear of the bike. one holigram can also measure the drafting zone.

pat pend.

What? I thought we already decided on the adhesive ones...?

Fine! I vote for the holograms too then.

Hologram projections, with the front number having a sensor to detect whether it is within the hologram "zone" and transmitter to send it back to race control.

The TO's can sit in an airconditioned room sipping cognac, waiting for the infractions to be radioed in.