James

World Hour Record Thread

The next hour attempt commenced at 0400 hrs. I missed the start. Matthias has just gone 20 km in 23.01 minutes with an average heart rate of 180

Edited by James

Matthias is riding on a 200 m track and Jens rode on a 250 m track. I seem to remember around when Jens rode the record Mattias said he was going to ride his attempt on a 330 m outdoor track. They are saying he changed to this track as it's IAM cycling training track

how many folks here reckon they could ride for an hour with a hr of 180!!

That would give me a heart attack and kill me!

how many folks here reckon they could ride for an hour with a hr of 180!!

That would give me a heart attack and kill me

last short tri mine was 162bpm for the hour and a bit, no way I could squeeze another 18bpm

People are are different. A mate of mine just did Grafton to Inverell with an avg hr of 183 and a max of 203. He is 35 and fit as. I couldn't do 5 mins at 183

if voigt and this guy can do it; then there legitimately more than a dozen other guys who can smash this.

• Like 1

:)

He's only 24, so if you wanna use the old 220 methods he was still 10+ under his maximum. Who really knows what his mac actually is.

At 41 did brw ride at average 170, and run at 182 hitting 189 at the end of run (I won't disclose how slow I was going to achieve those), but 180 could be 20+ below his max. I'd say well doable for a young fit guy.

lance should do this unofficially just to troll :D

Absolutely! He should also fly in Don and Trev to act as Commissars ... ;)

Edited by Andrew #1

Who is next? Has anyone else committed to an attempt or are they just saying they are keen at some stage to give it a go?

Cut and paste from Cycling News

"Wiggins may attempt hour record next summer

Bradley Wiggins’ hour record attempt could happen in July or August of next year, according to the Diario de Mallorca newspaper. The paper also reported that Wiggins would make his hour record attempt at the El Palma Arena in Mallorca. Wiggins has spent the past few weeks in Mallorca and met with the velodrome’s technical director Joan Llaneras at the Tolo restaurant in Port de Pollença a week ago.

The meeting between the two happened during a celebration hosted by the ex-footballer Tomeu Llompart. “Wiggins wants to break the record of the time in Mallorca in Palma Arena and fill the public velodrome. And he is convinced that this will mobilize thousands of English fans to travel on holiday to the island to see his attempt," Llompart told the newspaper. “He considers Mallorca as his home and therefore wants to face the record on the island."

With Wiggins switching his focus from road to track for next season, it frees up a big window in the middle of the season when he can make his attempt. The heat of the summer can help to replicate some of the effects of altitude by reducing drag and help Wiggins to break the record."

The El Palma Arena velodrome is owned by the Mallorcan government and was the subject of an enquiry after it was linked with the embezzlement of public funds, forgery and bribery.

all just wanting to get their name in the books before the big guns give it a go

These are the big guns, not all of them of course but for other well known TT riders won't be shoe ins for an hour record.

Hour record attempts for 2015: (so far)

Rohan Dennis :-

1st World TTT champion

1st World Team Pursuit champ (multiple)

2nd Tour of California

2nd Comm Games TT

2nd Team Pursuit Champs

2nd U/23 world TT champs

2nd Olympic Team Pursuit

2nd National TT champ

Jack Bobridge :-

1st World Team Pursuit champ (multiple)

1st individual pursuit world champ (multiple)

1st national road champs

1st Comm Games pursuit

1st U/23 national TT champs

pursuit world record.

Alex Dowsett :-

1st national U/23 TT champs

1st European U/23 TT champs

1st national TT champs (multiple)

1st Comm Games TT

Thomas Dekker :-

1st National U/23 TT Champs

1st national TT champs (multiple)

2nd World U/23 TT champs

Bradley Wiggins :-

1st TDF

1st Olympic Team Pursuit

1st Olympic Pursuit (multiple)

1st Olypmic TT

2nd Comm Games Pursuit

2nd Comm Games Team Pursuit

1st World TT champs

2nd World TT champs

1st National TT champs (multiple)

1st World pusuit Champs (multiple)

1st World Team Pursuit champs (multiple)

Rasmus Quaade :-

2nd World U/23 TT champs

1st European TT champs

2nd NAtional TT champs

3rd World Team Pursuit

6th World TT champs

Dame Sarah Storey :-

Multiple Gold, Silver & Bronze Swimming (paralympics/world champs)

1st paralympic TT (multiple)

1st para world champs (multiple)

1st paralympic pursuit (multiple)

1st para world pursuit (multiple)

1st para world TT (multiple)

1st National pursuit champs (multiple)

I think Jack could've broken the record if he attempted a little later, he probably was still carrying some fatigue from TDU. Also he probably could've have paced his attempt better too.

I think Jack could've broken the record if he attempted a little later, he probably was still carrying some fatigue from TDU. Also he probably could've have paced his attempt better too.

Agree with the pacing comment but I'm sure Dennis would be carrying a bit of fatigue also, winning the TDU and all!

Van Houweling sets pan-American hour record in Mexico

American Molly Shaffer Van Houweling took to the track in Aguascalientes, Mexico, just hours after Thomas Dekker’s unsuccessful run at the men’s hour record, and set a new best mark for U.S. and pan-American women, riding 45.637km on Wednesday.

When I learned that Thomas Dekker would be making a UCI hour record attempt in Aguascalientes, I figured it might be a chance for me to set a world masters record for 40-44 women. My December U.S. elite record (44.173km) was well beyond the world masters mark (40.711km), but it wasn’t official because it was officiated by USA Cycling, not the UCI.

I was also curious to see how close I could come to Leontien van Moorsel’s elite world record (46.065km), which of course might soon be extended by Sarah Storey). I’m not actually eligible to set the UCI elite mark now because I’m not enrolled in the biological passport program.

Could well have a crack at the open Elite record.
read more at :-

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/news/van-houweling-sets-pan-american-hour-record-mexico_361696

Van Houweling sets pan-American hour record in Mexico

Could well have a crack at the open Elite record.
read more at :-

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/news/van-houweling-sets-pan-american-hour-record-mexico_361696

I was happy to play a small part in that, providing Molly and husband Robert with some assistance on technical matters in the lead up to her attempt. They are both Professors at Berkeley (Molly is a Law Professor).

It was a bit opportunistic as they piggy backed on the Dekker attempt to save costs of officals etc and so her acclimatisation was a bit compromised.

But even if she had beaten the elite record (which we thought would be a stretch but not that far off) it would not have been ratified as the elite record because the UCI now demand elite records only be ratified for those riders in the biopassport program.

Doping control is still required for UCI age group records.

So apart from a new Pan American and US elite record, this is also the new UCI women's masters 40-44 age category record (nearly 5km more than the previous record).

If she'd beaten the elite record it would have looked funny to see the 40-44 Age Group record faster than the Elite. It's like an AGer winning Kona.