Arpit

The good news thread

7 hours ago, goughy said:

Nearly caused my first car accident today.  Never had one before, let alone at fault.

But I didn't, so my streak continues!

I’ve been in lots. Even caused 1 or 2. 

Best one was rear ending a police highway patrol car.

why is that in the good news thread? 

Well I got away with it and the cops got in trouble for it.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 28/03/2019 at 7:03 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Can't give too many details, but my wife & her boss are helping a family of political asylum seekers settle in our town (and trust me, they need it - the husband who was in the Govt (right at the top) is dying has already been jailed in his country for trying to expose Govt corruption and worse).  They have 5 kids & the girls have found them a house, furniture including stuff donated by Vinnies & the Salvos, her boss has spent $500 of her own money getting them things.  The husband won't last very long he is so ill, but just wants to see his family settled safely here.  Hopefully he'll live past tomorrow to see that.

Full story will be on The Project tonight.

• Thanks 1

I'm watching (I was anyway, but more intently now).

After a week away at Mums, putting flowers on Dad's grave and then taking a nasty fall trail running, I was feeling a bit low. Came home today and there is a chq from the tax man informing me I've overpaid by £940. 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

Came home today and there is a chq from the tax man informing me I've overpaid by £940. 👍

Sounds like something that happens in Monopoly. :)

Now go directly to Mayfair...

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, FatPom said:

After a week away at Mums, putting flowers on Dad's grave and then taking a nasty fall trail running, I was feeling a bit low. Came home today and there is a chq from the tax man informing me I've overpaid by £940. 👍

Deposit for a new bike to celebrate 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had breakfast this morning with Ratty, Stikman and Humdrum. Was nice seeing the band get back together. :D

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Some of you will know a little of my story from the Mental Health thread, but thought it was timely to post a brief update here.

After some 28 years in the finance and insurance industries, I have earlier this week given notice for my current role with NAB. 

I have spent a good part of my adult life in various volunteering capacities, however over the last 4 years or so I have been devoting a fair amount of spare time to a local group that advocates for young people in our region by way of improving wellbeing and educational outcomes via a number of various strategies and programs.  The business has grown considerably after receiving various funds from federal grants as well as philanthropic foundations.

Long story short is that they approached me to see if I would consider working with them full time, and they have developed a role around my skill set and interests, so I really didn't have a choice!! I start with them at the end of the month.

Looking forward to contributing on a larger scale and making a difference for these young people.

Ayto

All the best Ayto.

Similar story to one of my staff. After 42 years in the telecommunications industry, he has been spending more time with a couple of volunteer agencies he is a part of. He is currently in Melbourne this week at their AGM. Long story short, I gave him his paperwork yesterday, and he leaves at the end of the month. He gets a very generous redundancy, and is going to spend the next year full time as a volunteer before stepping into a role with one of them. He was nervous about it all, but relieved yesterday when it finally hit that "no return" point.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Some of you will know a little of my story from the Mental Health thread, but thought it was timely to post a brief update here.

After some 28 years in the finance and insurance industries, I have earlier this week given notice for my current role with NAB. 

Great stuff Steve - it doesn't surprise me you'd be volunteering to help others. Hope it turns out great for you.

On 03/05/2019 at 7:14 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

. He was nervous about it all, but relieved yesterday when it finally hit that "no return" point.

^^^ I understand this completely.

As well as a considerable hit to the pay packet, I will be foregoing a significant amount of cash in deferred incentives and other taking other hits to the bank account, but sometimes there is more to life than money.

Will do it a little tough for the next month or 2, but should settle after that.  We are very fortunate our business is chugging along ok so it offsets some of the above.

Now that my decision is made it's a completely different outlook!

• Like 3

Byron Bay Tri, wetsuit optional swim.  Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Geez it's gotten soft.  They've also moved the course inshore & probably shortened it a bit due to the chop.  I recall doing the Woolgooga Master Games Tri in about 2003 where the swim was like the mid-Atlantic, no wetties, full course.

Still, I'll take it as ocean swimming has me spooked since Noosa :blush:

8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Byron Bay Tri, wetsuit optional swim.  Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Geez it's gotten soft.  They've also moved the course inshore & probably shortened it a bit due to the chop.  I recall doing the Woolgooga Master Games Tri in about 2003 where the swim was like the mid-Atlantic, no wetties, full course.

Still, I'll take it as ocean swimming has me spooked since Noosa :blush:

With this westerly, how could there be chop. I saw some video of the Sunshine Coast & it's like the dam I swim in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

With this westerly, how could there be chop. I saw some video of the Sunshine Coast & it's like the dam I swim in.

Yeah. went down and had a look & correct Ex.  Very windy, but hardly any chop.  From the text we got, the wettie option is more about the air temp (cold wind) than the water temp?  Works for me though - now that I have a 3/4 wettie instead of my full-length straight-jacket.

A fun day, 4th out of 17 mixed teams (with 2 parentals in the team).  Daughter held sub 5-min kms for 10kms which she was very happy about.  My 1500m swim was 6 mins quicker than Noosa, but I think it was only about 1300m, plus a wetsuit, plus very calm water.

Byron appears to be the Aussie capital of cyclists with no helmets....which is mad considering the traffic through the main drag.

Byron1.jpg

Georgie1.jpg

MightyMuppets1.jpg

Roberta1.jpg

• Like 7

The back of the t-shirts our youngest organised....and there is some sort of Instagram video thingy she is doing 🤷‍♂️

MightyMuppets4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Well...... Things are happening.

After over forty three and a half years working for my employer, I have handed in my resignation and decided to retire. My last working day will be 12 July, although my long service leave takes me up to October.

I had a part time job from age 13, working in a butcher shop and then with kids amusements after school and on weekends. I left school at age 16 and started working 7 days later. I did a uni degree by correspondence during the 90s. I also completed a Certificate IV and Diploma course only last month.

It's been an incredible ride with so many ups and downs. Time for a new start. Whilst I've known for a while that it would be soon, I have made it sooner than I originally anticipated.

I am feeling very unusual now the word is out.

FM  

Wow 43 years at the same place?? What did/do you do?

2 minutes ago, more said:

Wow 43 years at the same place?? What did/do you do?

I work for Westpac. Started in the branches for a number of years then:- International Trade, Financial Markets, Derivative Products, worked in Vanuatu (long stint), PNG, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga (short stints), Operational Risk, physical security for branch and corporate sites - these are the main things.

I though I would join a bank until I worked out what I would do in life. I am still trying to figure it out.

FM  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Flanman said:

After over forty three and a half years working for my employer, I have handed in my resignation and decided to retire. My last working day will be 12 July, although my long service leave takes me up to October.

Congrats. I know I'm not far behind but I'm waiting for my Year 10 son to decide what he's doing next before I pull the trigger.

Stay busy, worst mistake people make in retirement is to take it too easy. My dad did that and lost all the value in really living - it was sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trinube said:

Stay busy, worst mistake people make in retirement is to take it too easy. My dad did that and lost all the value in really living - it was sad.

I've had a good long think about this.

I have a number of things lined up including:- travel already booked (overseas and onshore); just joined the golf club; coaching rep basketball again, requested to be on the local committee in our area, back to playing music and learning more languages, grandson plus a bit more training including gym classes (free for me). I will still be doing a few triathlons.  The new fishing boat will be here in six months. I plan to do some studies plus will still be involved in Tour de Cure. Oh, also, a bit more time with the missus and the occasional sleep in (I haven't done that for ages). 

Now that's the first week.

FM

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Flanman said:

I've had a good long think about this.

I have a number of things lined up including:- travel already booked (overseas and onshore); just joined the golf club; coaching rep basketball again, requested to be on the local committee in our area, back to playing music and learning more languages, grandson plus a bit more training including gym classes (free for me). I will still be doing a few triathlons.  The new fishing boat will be here in six months. I plan to do some studies plus will still be involved in Tour de Cure. Oh, also, a bit more time with the missus and the occasional sleep in (I haven't done that for ages). 

Now that's the first week.

FM

Exciting times ahead - congratulations 😊

On your second week of retirement maybe you can set up the Trannie Catch Up Pages & organise a catch up in each state plus an annual shin dig in a new location each year?

Edited by Surfer
Sp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Exciting times ahead - congratulations 😊

On your second week of retirement maybe you can set up the Trannie Catch Up Pages & organise a catch up in each state plus an annual shin dig in a new location each year?

I assumed that was what the travel was for?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Flanman said:

Well...... Things are happening.

I had a part time job from age 13, working in a butcher shop and then with kids amusements after school and on weekends. I left school at age 16 and started working 7 days later. I did a uni degree by correspondence during the 90s. I also completed a Certificate IV and Diploma course only last month.

It's been an incredible ride with so many ups and downs. Time for a new start. Whilst I've known for a while that it would be soon, I have made it sooner than I originally anticipated.

I am feeling very unusual now the word is out.

FM  

Super stuff!!  (See what I did there....... 😎)

Congrats mate. Out of curiosity, why so long for the fishing boat?

Oh, and sounds like a good excuse for a new bike if you ask me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ayto said:

Congrats mate. Out of curiosity, why so long for the fishing boat?

Oh, and sounds like a good excuse for a new bike if you ask me.

I'm upgrading my existing boat so have to clean and get ready to sell. My son works for Yamaha so the price is right when you order.:winkiss:

As for the new bike, I got one last November, although the TT could be upgraded :whistling:

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

Picked up the new wheels today. Ford Everest Titanium. The Pajero had done 150,000km in the 3 years we've had it. This one will be 2 years. Verdict so far is it's much nicer to drive on the road. I'll find out on the weekend what it's like off road.

image.thumb.png.bcf3b5cbf00ad08e091132783dba0769.png

• Like 3

We went to the dog park yesterday, not knowing this event was on. We were in heaven.

image.thumb.png.e3a019e3dd410ba61e50f3a677a9b591.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

THAT would have been amazing. Though only if the owners let me snuggle and play with them all. Then again, just seeing all of those happy faces would have been a delight.

Just now, Katz said:

THAT would have been amazing. Though only if the owners let me snuggle and play with them all. Then again, just seeing all of those happy faces would have been a delight.

The owners all just let them off lead. They run around like lunatics. Being Golden Retrievers, they immediately went for anybody that was willing to snuggle & play. I sat on the ground for a minute and mine jumped straight on for a play, then was joined by half a dozen more. It turns out the ear licking she does is fairly normal for GR's. :)

The half dozen puppies were amazing. Not a brain between them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome, I would have stuffed my pockets with bacon and just lay on the ground. 

My last dog, a boxer used to love playing "stacks on" if you lay on the ground, my schnauzer isn't interested and I miss it.  :cry: 

18 minutes ago, roxii said:

That's awesome, I would have stuffed my pockets with bacon and just lay on the ground. 

My last dog, a boxer used to love playing "stacks on" if you lay on the ground, my schnauzer isn't interested and I miss it.  :cry: 

I kept saying we should lay someone on the ground and pour gravy on them. It'd make a hell of a video.

My daughter said she's not wearing white next time, and she'll volunteer. :)

Played most of the game with a fractured wrist after being cracked with a stick, and scored both goals in a 2-1 win over top of the table Mossman in the soaking rain (hockey).

The Johnny Sattler of Glebe 4th grade 😄

G broken wrist.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And our eldest got promoted at work y'day 👍

Ironically, the small pay increase takes her across the HECs threshold, so she takes home less in the hand each week, but she was happy with the recognition.

• Like 3

My daughter came down to the blood bank today to "check it out". She's been gradually overcoming her deep set fear of needles, and this was the last step before she comes in in 4 weeks time to donate with me. She did a haemoglobin check (154) and they confirmed her veins are "real good like her Dad's".

She's excited now & we are BOTH looking forward to it. :)

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

My daughter came down to the blood bank today to "check it out". She's been gradually overcoming her deep set fear of needles, and this was the last step before she comes in in 4 weeks time to donate with me. She did a haemoglobin check (154) and they confirmed her veins are "real good like her Dad's".

Great stuff - get her to read the first post in the Saving Lives thread before she goes ;)

47 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's great. My straighter was saying just this week that she is bummed they moved teh age back up to 18 as she wants to start as well, but now has to wait till next year.

47 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Actually, I'm reading back through that whole thread - I'm tearing up reading some of the posts

Slunnie

Shuffla

Hope you folks are going OK.