Arpit

The good news thread

So we went overseas for Christmas to see my dad in Nth Ireland and took a side trip to Finland (Lapland about 250 k inside the arctic circle) to hopefully catch the northern lights (wife’s bucket list) 

Things weren’t looking positive then this happened 

07FD728C-23EE-4A0E-8288-8FEF563291AB.jpeg

Not a great photo but we made the decision to enjoy the moment and not worry about trying to photograph it.

we got two nights of lights, they are a magical sight, cost an arm and a leg to go there but totally worth it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 27/01/2019 at 1:51 PM, roxii said:

So we went overseas for Christmas to see my dad in Nth Ireland and took a side trip to Finland (Lapland about 250 k inside the arctic circle) to hopefully catch the northern lights (wife’s bucket list) 

Things weren’t looking positive then this happened 

07FD728C-23EE-4A0E-8288-8FEF563291AB.jpeg

Not a great photo but we made the decision to enjoy the moment and not worry about trying to photograph it.

we got two nights of lights, they are a magical sight, cost an arm and a leg to go there but totally worth it. 

You will earn more arms and legs. Live life. Enjoy it. 

I am trying to get through about 3 weeks work today so I can head off on leave tonight, before heading off to Torquay tomorrow morning in readiness for our charity ride from Torquay to Adelaide.

Now that its here, I am beyond excited and can't wait to get started.  I am probably underdone for what is upcoming, but I have 3.5k kilometres in the legs since October-ish, and to be fair, I haven't done that much on the bike since the ill-fated IM attempt at IMNZ 2012. 

Will be logging my rides on strava for anyone interested.  (Profile name is pretty boring - Steve Ayton) so follow along if it floats your boat.

It's not too late to donate if that's your thing also.  Original thread below with link to all the info of what we are doing and why, and a spot to donate as well!!

http://forums.transitions.org.au/topic/73788-seeking-donations-support/?tab=comments#comment-1297930

Hopefully see you all at the other end!! Wonder what this means on the biggest loser thread???

Cheers

Ayto

• Like 3

It's always great when your kids send you a message like this. From our eldest :

Oh exciting news!!
Michelle called me into her office
And I was a bit nervous BUT
she said that I’d been going above and beyond these last couple of weeks and it hasn’t gone unnoticed and that she really appreciates my work!
  • Like 4

I got a podium finish at a sprint on the weekend. 3rd place in the vets. There were slightly more than 3 in the category. This will likely be the one and only time I get a podium, so I will revel in the glory for a few moments. :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Having seven days in Port Mac from tomorrow after my TdC ride. Will get back to a bit of running, swimming and golf while I am there. Getting ready for Port 70.3.

Will have the little fella with us plus the son and DIL. 

Just love holidays where I can do what ever I want.

FM

• Like 1

On 05/03/2019 at 9:27 PM, Katz said:

I got a podium finish at a sprint on the weekend. 3rd place in the vets. There were slightly more than 3 in the category. This will likely be the one and only time I get a podium, so I will revel in the glory for a few moments. :D

You never know. You can only race whoever shows up. Never sell it down. Congrats.

FM

• Like 2

Gone for a walk tonight while the other halves watched MAFS. A little bitter sweet. 

FM

F49CA847-ABEE-4FE5-B995-CBA169DC124D.jpeg

CFD73082-7AA8-4A3B-A994-9491053E563B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Gone for a walk tonight while the other halves watched MAFS. A little bitter sweet. 

CFD73082-7AA8-4A3B-A994-9491053E563B.jpeg

would be cool to get a photo with everyone mentioned

• Like 2

My wife and kids sit on this rock during the run. So if anyone see's them....say hello!

These are the original pics taken by the port Macquarie Council after it was painted.

Port Rock1.JPG

Port Rock2.JPG

• Like 1

I received a verbal offer for a pretty good job today. It’s been a stressful time since the end of Jan when I left the last job. Time to take a breath now. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody know a good housekeeper with perfectionist tendencies?  Mine has just quit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

Does anybody know a good housekeeper with perfectionist tendencies?  Mine has just quit.

On the plus side, now you're living in the doghouse, the cleaning takes less time. :whistling:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

LOL

My In-Laws clean the house and do the gardens every Friday. My wife pays them but puts the money directly into a Christmas club account for them. They then use the money to pay for Christmas lunch, drinks & gifts for the family. I'm basically getting the house cleaned for free an awesome presnet.  

2 hours ago, Stikman said:

FFF was looking for some extra dosh, right? He might not look as good in the maids outfit tho.........

• Haha 1

After about 30 years of being missing, I decided to look and immediately found a site where I can replace the little tooth pick and tweezers from my Swiss army knife!  Sometimes, it's the little things!

Bought the mini screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew and the sharpening stone too, for good measure.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stikman said:

Have you tried training cats?

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

After about 30 years of being missing, I decided to look and immediately found a site where I can replace the little tooth pick and tweezers from my Swiss army knife!  Sometimes, it's the little things!

Bought the mini screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew and the sharpening stone too, for good measure.

Awesome!  I still have the swiss army knife my parents gave me on my 21st birthday (cough, 39 years ago).

It's been all around the world with me and I still have the original toothpick and tweezers. Victorinox offer a refurb service where you sent it in and they bring it back to as new condition. While I'd love to get the blades redone, I can't bear the thought of some courier losing it.

Like you say, sometimes it's the little things.

• Like 1

I didn't know about the refurb thing!  Might have a gander.

4 hours ago, goughy said:

you should have asked me Goughy!  King of Knives in indooroopilly stoke these things.  whenever my dad visits from the country we do the obligatory stop off there to restock on toothpick things and other stuff he needs replacing repairing.

I didn't realise they were that easy to replace!

On 06/02/2015 at 4:22 PM, Parkside said:

1965605_10205742554945791_32112320892792

I was lucky enough to see this launch at Cape Canaveral a couple of weeks ago. It was sicker than gastric.

One of my dreams to watch. 

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

One of my dreams to watch. 

FM

The bastards cancelled a launch when we were there in 1990.

• Sad 1

On 14/03/2019 at 2:49 PM, Katz said:

I received a verbal offer for a pretty good job today. It’s been a stressful time since the end of Jan when I left the last job. Time to take a breath now. 

And today it became the formal offer with the reams and reams of paperwork to complete and return. I start on Monday. The relief is palpable. Such a shame I now only have 6 days to get all the stuff done I would have loved to get done while not working but couldn't manage cause I was too bloody stressed! lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest FFF1077

Off to Victoria for a wedding this weekend. 

Meeting Justine's parents and family for a BBQ and she's meeting my friends and family. 

#goodayz 

Guest FFF1077
On 14/03/2019 at 6:20 PM, Tyno said:

FFF was looking for some extra dosh, right? He might not look as good in the maids outfit tho.........

Might not look good.... But that doesn't mean I'm not keen 😉😉😜

CN, I can't believe you're using the good news thread to brag about making a bunch of migrants cry.

You monster!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Tyno said:

CN, I can't believe you're using the good news thread to brag about making a bunch of migrants cry.

You monster!

But I'm a sasquatch?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

mortgage free today

That isn't just good news, that is excellent news! Congratulations! :clapping:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

mortgage free today

I must admit when I hit that point a year or two ago my enthusiasm fro my job took a big nosedive. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

mortgage free today

Wait till you get (more or less) kid free.  It's just like that bloke who had 2 winning tickets in last weeks Powerball.

12 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Wait till you get (more or less) kid free.  It's just like that bloke who had 2 winning tickets in last weeks Powerball.

5 months to go on that one. Thats if boarding school doesn't come sooner (but that may be a return to mortgage)

Been there, the sense of relief and achievement is amazing. 

41 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yeah, except they still put their hand out once in a while or ask for advice, but at least they are discovering the responsibilities of life and they all have jobs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

My eldest moved back a few months ago. Whilst we keep complaining, I actually put it in the good news folder. :)

• Like 4

On 02/04/2019 at 3:31 PM, fiftyplus said:

Been there, the sense of relief and achievement is amazing. 

Yeah, except they still put their hand out once in a while or ask for advice, but at least they are discovering the responsibilities of life and they all have jobs.

Compared to some of our friends kids, our girls are incredibly self-reliant & resilient at 24 & 26.

21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

My eldest moved back a few months ago. Whilst we keep complaining, I actually put it in the good news folder. :)

Yeah, that would be OK with us too if shit hit the fan.  But so far, they are going well in the Big Smoke. Esp good for our eldest who suffers from some anxiety/depression issues, but having to make her own way in the world has been much better for her than being at home.  She's going really well in her job - good for her confidence.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2019 at 4:56 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Happy Dayz. In my fav country in the World for a week chasing trout.

Is he in NZ ?

FM

31 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Is he in NZ ?

FM

That view looks like it's from Queenstown, out across the lake.

eta: And confirmation. Here's a shot from my last trip there, from a bit farther up the lake.

DSC_0850.thumb.JPG.5aa4e4fb31b721092463701eb5f9e5ee.JPG

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That view looks like it's from Queenstown, out across the lake.

eta: And confirmation. Here's a shot from my last trip there, from a bit farther up the lake.

DSC_0850.thumb.JPG.5aa4e4fb31b721092463701eb5f9e5ee.JPG

Spot on Ex.  We are staying at Fernhill which is toward the Glenorchy end of Queenstown.

Unfortunately every other man & his dog has also decided this is the week to fish my favourite river 1hr drive south of here, so we've had to come up with a Plan B and try to find some alternative unfished water, which worked out OK the first day.

Nearly caused my first car accident today.  Never had one before, let alone at fault.

But I didn't, so my streak continues!