Arpit

The good news thread

Yesterday our little tri club held its annual Corporate Teams triathlon and raised another $10000 for the Cancer Council.

It's a fantastic fun day with teams getting dressed up and stepping out of their comfort zones all for a good cause.

We've now raised around $40000 in the last 5 years.

• Like 5

It's raining and our roof is not leaking. Yay for the fourth roofer who actually identified the source of the problem and fixed it in a morning for many, many $000's less than my pessimistic budget which extended to re-roofing the whole house (bloody late 50s architect-deisgned job with rare and unavailable Al profile flat roof).

Now to wait for another downpour to be certain, then we can get the whopping hole in the ceiling repaired and stop feeling like we live in a slum.

• Like 1

Good News Stories for this week by my own observation:

1. The budget speech is over

2. Jonny Depps dogs will be okay

Edited by Prince

I went to see my witch-doctor yesterday. That's what Dad always called him, 30 years ago when accupuncture wasn't as common as it is now. It took a bit of Google work & a chance mention by a bloke at work, but I found the guy who fixed my knee first time I did this 30 years ago.

An accupuncture session, with massage, a bit of stretching and some manipulation, and not only does my back feel better, but there has been no pain at all in the knee for the past 24 hours, even walking up steps. I can honestly say I haven't experienced a pain free day for over 6 months. I'm hoping it's not just in the mind, but so far it's the best thing that's happened to me in months.

• Like 3

I went to see my witch-doctor yesterday. That's what Dad always called him, 30 years ago when accupuncture wasn't as common as it is now. It took a bit of Google work & a chance mention by a bloke at work, but I found the guy who fixed my knee first time I did this 30 years ago.

An accupuncture session, with massage, a bit of stretching and some manipulation, and not only does my back feel better, but there has been no pain at all in the knee for the past 24 hours, even walking up steps. I can honestly say I haven't experienced a pain free day for over 6 months. I'm hoping it's not just in the mind, but so far it's the best thing that's happened to me in months.

Awesome news.

Who and where?

My osteo has just moved interstate and my ITB and arch are stressing me out!

The saga of my knees moves into a brand new phase. I have cartilage loss that we know of in my left knee, and most likely in my right as well. Just the rot manifesting itself in osteoarthritis.

After club champs I was planning a four week training break, so two days after racing I had Synvisc injected into both knees. Artificial synovial fluid, about a 70% success rate statistically. I've done little (other than swim) in the intervening four weeks.

I had noticed a much improved range of motion, to the point where Pilates reformer has become possible again. The acid test was this morning. My first run. Steady paced 5km on the Alter-G, 75% body weight (I've been going OK I at 80% and dropped it for a soft start).

And the outcome.......

Awesome. No knee pain during or after, better gait, more spring, no particular muscle issues.

I'm excited. But will proceed with caution.

• Like 7

Look what I got tonight:

fb3cc41e83fadee054283d9f4716dc1d.jpg

[emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji322] [emoji322]

• Like 4

2 weeks into the new role and it's all going well.

Tomorrow, I head to Bali with my wife, Step daughter, Son and daughter for a much needed family break. The kids are beside themselves with excitement and counting down the hours.

Hopefully our private villa has some access to TdF coverage and it will be happy days!

Catch you all on the flip side.

Ayto

I'm on the way back to Thailand after being in Turkey. From one holiday to the next.

I'm on the way back to Thailand after being in Turkey. From one holiday to the next.

How on earth will you cope when you come back home?

2 weeks into the new role and it's all going well.

Tomorrow, I head to Bali with my wife, Step daughter, Son and daughter for a much needed family break. The kids are beside themselves with excitement and counting down the hours.

Hopefully our private villa has some access to TdF coverage and it will be happy days!

Catch you all on the flip side.

Ayto

Looks like I spoke to soon.

After having our flight (originally due for depature at 5pm) delayed for several hours yesterday, we were finally making our way to the boarding gate to depart at 7.45pm when the dreaded announcement came over that the flight was cancelled due to the volcanic ash cloud.

Jetstar, god love them, we useless and were not prepared to refund our flights immediately for us to use to book elsewhere, otherwise we'd be in Fiji or Thailand or somewhere.

Instead after 2 hours on the phone the best we got was travel vouchers that would be credited back to us in 7 days and must be used within 6 months. Not much good to us when we will be back at work / school in 7 days.

Anyways, after getting home at nearly midnight last night I was up early today, packed the van and I am now set up and organised in the park at Corrimal. Not exactly Bali but it beats sitting at home.

Cant believe it after 8 months of crap backwards and forward and plent of lawyers bills to get "approval" from the kids mum for them to come in the first place.

Looks like it all starts again as we are booking for the September school hols as soon as we get our vouchers back!!

Anyway, all good. Making the most of the beach for the next week. Enjoy the school holidays all.

Cheers

Ayto

arghhhh sorry to hear that it didnt turn out perfectly for you guys.

Im sure the holiday will still be great with the kids.

All good. Heading into Sydney tomorrow to take the kids to the zoo and working out the rest of the week.

We will still make sure the kids have a good time!

• Like 1

If you are staying down that way the science centre at Bellambi is pretty cool. My kids are there today.

Got a txt from wife on Wed. ' you have two letters from HMRC' ( tax people). Oh crap thinks I, audit time now that I'm a contractor.

Txt Mrs FP back 'open them, what does it say?'

' one is calculation sheet and the other is a chq for £1580 for overpaid tax' she says.

Happy days :)

Got a txt from wife on Wed. ' you have two letters from HMRC' ( tax people). Oh crap thinks I, audit time now that I'm a contractor.

Txt Mrs FP back 'open them, what does it say?'

' one is calculation sheet and the other is a chq for £1580 for overpaid tax' she says.

Happy days :)

Great news! !! [emoji322]

New bike?[emoji13]

Edited by Cranky

Great news! !! [emoji322]

New bike?[emoji13]

Experience tells me to leave it in the account for a month just in case a letter comes asking for it back!

Sold my TT bike a while back, and do have a quad injury since putting clip ons on the road bike,,, (you can see where this is going :smartarse: )

Edited by FatPom

All good. Heading into Sydney tomorrow to take the kids to the zoo and working out the rest of the week.

We will still make sure the kids have a good time!

Good stuff. It would have been so easy to complain about this but the kids will no doubt have a great time anywhere if you have a positive attitude. Enjoy! ;)

I admire you resilience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

http://www.thebetterindia.com/11954/invention-blind-smartcane-mobility-visually-impaired-innovation/

Good news for the visually impaired. Bad news for the financially impaired arpit.

A bit of background. In 2007 in my final year of uni at Indian institute of technology Kanpur (my Alma mater) I took a course of art which sas at the time was a bit of piss take to get some cheap credits. In that course we had to make a project which produces something useful for the masses. After doing jack all during the entire semester, couple of my mates and I had a light bulb moment and we actually made a very similar cane like this and it worked quite well. I didn't thought much of it at the time but clearly it had a lot of potential. Ah well missed out on a few millions just like that. At least the organisation selling it are not as greedy as the UK companies who wants $1000 quid for these.