Arpit

The good news thread

Geez a bit quite in here - whats going on fellas ?

I'll jump start it back again.

Just got the keys for my first house yesterday - 4 bed with massive manshed. 8 yrs ago I came to Aus with nothing. Not bad going. Now just need to install a 9.1 surround sound system and I'll be set.

• Like 8

yes recently seen another surge in house buying in Newcastle although at lower prices than advertised. I negotiated them down 20k - but another place nearby actually went for 10k more than the asking price. Another mate is looking to buy a place and all the places he has been have been off the market. Dont know what is driving it - newcastle is a pretty mining centered town.

Nice work Arpit.

We are just in the process of buying a business for my wife. Things have been very rough at her place of work for the last 12 months or so. So, she's done.

She's going back to a previous vocation that she does very well. We are actually buying the shop where she got her first job in Hervey Bay, the day after we moved here 16 years ago (albeit now in a different location).

For most of her life she has busted her arse for other people, whether that was in work or, for the past 10 years, in her voluntary role at the club. The Hundy wouldn't exist if not for her and she rarely gets the acknowledgement she deserves (not that that's the reason she does it, though).

Anyway, in her 50th year, it's time for her to do something for herself. It's a big risk but our kids are gone and we were planning on selling the house in 2 or 3 years anyway. If worse comes to worst we'll have to sell it a bit earlier. We're looking at 3 to 5 years initially for the shop and then see what happens.

Will be purifying the house this saturday with lots of alcohol - main party to follow after I get off my baked beans and 89c toast diet and actually manage to buy some furniture.

If you are coming down this way - plenty of room to stretch legs.

• Like 1

Downsey, the biggest risk is cashflow. At least in my line of work. Probably the same is most small businesses. Keep on top of that and you'll be sweet.

• Like 1

Downsey, the biggest risk is cashflow. At least in my line of work. Probably the same is most small businesses. Keep on top of that and you'll be sweet.

Thanks Tortoise.

Yep. It will be slow to begin with because the poor old dear that owns the shop is 78, deaf and just can't handle the work any more. So, no weddings, no functions, basic funeral and Interflora stuff.

Dawn's main challenge will be to get the word out that things have changed. Part of that is a complete revamp and a total rebranding of the old shop (using the existing name though, that was worth the purchase price just on it's own). She has lots of interesting ideas about how to get things moving, and our experience with using social media to maximum effect over the last couple of years with the Hundy will help us get some guerrilla marketing going. First thing to go will be the $7000/yr Yellow Pages bill!!

Downey, a friends daughter who is really a painter has done ok in the flower business. Admittedly its in Sydney. She is really good at the out there arrangements that corporates like. Find a few ritzy businesses like the upmarket local law firm and do a deal for their weekly reception decoration.

Good luck to Dawnie.

• Like 1

Saw my grand daughter for the first time today.

It's not what you'd expect.

My son wrote the music in the video when he found out he was having a daughter.

• Like 3

haha - one company I'm invested in will be laughing with such low aud.

Actually all the aussie gold miners are also making huge profits with the cost of gold in aud close to the GFC levels.

Not good for me trying to buy good manufactured overseas though. All imported stuff will soon start costing way too much

The AUD at and below USD 0.70.... :smile1:

And we're going to the US of A in 10 days' time. At least all the big ticket stuff is paid for already.

Good news for me. (Copied from another thread but thought I'd paste here. Self indulgent and small really vs most issues here. but for me important...)

After 15 months, the the first 4 spent on crutches, this weeks MRI tells me the bone is finally healed (SONK was the end diagnosis ie dead bit of bone in my femur.

www.orthonet.on.ca/core-topics/hip-and-knee-topics/sonk/

Dr tells me the recovery at bone level was textbook.

He thought I might loose it and a partial knee replacement be needed ).

Going forward. My days of sub 40 min 10ks seem goneI need to be careful re volume of running. The osteoporosis bit won't go away and could set me up for more fractures, but I'm allowed to do 2 hours running a week (my knees are full of osteoarthritis too. Might be following Tortoise with fluid shots into them). I am meant to walk down hills etc but I see that 2 hours as 3 hours if I run on treadmill and wear good shock absorbing shoes (clown shoes aka Hoka ).

For now my body is really unbalanced from all the time not using the leg. Shoulder and core on that same side is messy. Glutes weak. Hips not rotating when swimming. But rehab is continuing. I've been running a little for 6 months but I feel like a crab. Current runs are mostly walk run 2ks on 1min walk. Trying to get my cadence back up. Was always over 180 but now is 175-80 at best.

But I'm back and just entered Port 70.3 where I plan to run walk and have fun. Now where did I put my Trannies hat ... ? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am no longer a tradie.

So what does an ex-tradie do with the white tray-back death machine now that he doesn't have to run down cyclists anymore?

• Like 1

So what does an ex-tradie do with the white tray-back death machine now that he doesn't have to run down cyclists anymore?

I drive it to my new job, until I find my feet there, then I garage it and bike commute. Only 12km one way to my new job.
  • Like 1

My granddaughter, Claire Emily. Entered this world at 11.12 this morning. My first grandchild, although we have "inherited" a grandson that was prepared earlier. That's Henry meeting his baby sister for the first time in the photos below.

bb9887419f900a2af2174b38fb038267.jpg

9d315a90e5e8cab22cb36a330e43737d.jpg

57d6cfe1c2f1e15fc07ea6eb28d15c77.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

My granddaughter, Claire Emily. Entered this world at 11.12 this morning. My first grandchild, although we have "inherited" a grandson that was prepared earlier. That's Henry meeting his baby sister for the first time in the photos below.

bb9887419f900a2af2174b38fb038267.jpg

9d315a90e5e8cab22cb36a330e43737d.jpg

57d6cfe1c2f1e15fc07ea6eb28d15c77.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nawwwwwwww

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Love new babies!! They say becoming a grandparent is something else totally, I can't wait?

Congratulations all round..

Thanks ironmum. It will feel a bit more real when we can give her a cuddle. She's a 5 hour drive away but we're planning on seeing her this weekend.

Take 2

We fly out for Bali on Saturday after the stalled attempt last school holidays. It has been a long 3 months for the kids with them counting down ever since we left the airport last time!

Also, my wife and I celebrate our 1st anniversary a couple of days after we get back. It has been a tough, shit year but she has been rock solid throughout it all and has been a massive support for me and my kids. Love you honey.

Cheers

Ayto

• Like 5

Good news for me. (Copied from another thread but thought I'd paste here. Self indulgent and small really vs most issues here. but for me important...)

After 15 months, the the first 4 spent on crutches, this weeks MRI tells me the bone is finally healed (SONK was the end diagnosis ie dead bit of bone in my femur.

www.orthonet.on.ca/core-topics/hip-and-knee-topics/sonk/

Dr tells me the recovery at bone level was textbook.

He thought I might loose it and a partial knee replacement be needed ).

Going forward. My days of sub 40 min 10ks seem goneI need to be careful re volume of running. The osteoporosis bit won't go away and could set me up for more fractures, but I'm allowed to do 2 hours running a week (my knees are full of osteoarthritis too. Might be following Tortoise with fluid shots into them). I am meant to walk down hills etc but I see that 2 hours as 3 hours if I run on treadmill and wear good shock absorbing shoes (clown shoes aka Hoka ).

For now my body is really unbalanced from all the time not using the leg. Shoulder and core on that same side is messy. Glutes weak. Hips not rotating when swimming. But rehab is continuing. I've been running a little for 6 months but I feel like a crab. Current runs are mostly walk run 2ks on 1min walk. Trying to get my cadence back up. Was always over 180 but now is 175-80 at best. But I'm back and just entered Port 70.3 where I plan to run walk and have fun. Now where did I put my Trannies hat ... ? ;)

Ever since Postober this tread died.... Let's give it another go.

I will be self centered and indulgent and update the above.

Last night I just raced 5.6ks @ 4min k pace! - I never thought I would get back to that level again! Good news for me :)

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Last night I just raced 5.6ks @ 4min k pace! - I never thought I would get back to that level again! Good news for me :)

Gee that's a short ride :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously,, well done.

• Like 1

And bad news for the rest of us in your AG.

And bad news for the rest of us in your AG.

Lol. Nothing to worry about. I'm in a new AG next year (WTC anyhow). And I have to get to a few race starts uninjured for it to count! And plenty of people to still towel me up in either AG ! Edited by Mjainoz

I'm visiting family after another yr playing with my little 2 yr old nephew. Life is fun :)

• Like 3

I had a ball today at my first race (albeit only a swim) for over 3 years. I met James, remet Phil H for the first time in about 15 years, managed to get top 10, which was my goal. To top it all off, my brother came up, and even though the result was never in doubt, it's always good to beat the older brother in a race.

• Like 4

I had a ball today at my first race (albeit only a swim) for over 3 years. I met James, remet Phil H for the first time in about 15 years, managed to get top 10, which was my goal. To top it all off, my brother came up, and even though the result was never in doubt, it's always good to beat the older brother in a race.

good old phil..he got me into running and really mentored me.. love the 500 km relays too.

I have an older brother that was good at every sport he took on. Champion swimmer as a kid then went on to become a pro footballer.

Anyway, he's taken up triathlon in the last few years (inspired by his little brother). Even though he beats me out of the water by 10 minutes in an OD, I can still reel him in over the bike and the run. Makes me feel great after growing up in his shadow for so many years, not so much beating him but being out there on course with him.

Edited by downesy68
  • Like 5

I have an older brother that was good at every sport he took on. Champion swimmer as a kid then went on to become a pro footballer.

Anyway, he's taken up triathlon in the last few years (inspired by his little brother). Even though he beats me out of the water by 10 minutes in an OD, I can still reel him in over the bike and the run. Makes me feel great after growing up in his shadow for so many years, not so much beating him but being out there on course with him.

Best race I ever did was Forster. It wasn't just the result, but the fact that Mick was out there, and at one stage up with me on the bike. He was never going to be up there at the end, but the fact that he was basically a non-swimmer a couple years earlier, to be up at the pointy end on the bike was phenomenal.

• Like 3

oa, brrothers and sport. Mine took me to a first game of squash to his club. i was lucky enough to be the best in the club in a year and we both trained like creed and Apollo..

Walked to town and back yesterday, probably 2.5kms with a coffee in between. Completely knackered me but nice to mobile again. :)

• Like 3

My son made his bed this morning without being asked/told.

Maybe not a biggy for you, but it's a first time here, & it shocked me.

• Like 3

Been gigging a few times, which I haven't done in over a year. Enjoying the buzz

My view from last night

IMG_20151212_105832_zpszuxy08yt.jpg

PANO_20151212_231058_zps8tug2eon.jpg

• Like 5

We got engaged last night....!

Dinner and Screaming Jets concert and a proposal

Broke the news to the girls this morning (trace has two daughters 8 and 12)...and they pretty happy...

don't know how to post pics here...happy for someone to post the collage from FB here those that have seen it...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Broke the news to the girls this morning (trace has two daughters 8 and 12)...and they pretty happy...

don't know how to post pics here...happy for someone to post the collage from FB here those that have seen it...

Congrats! That is wonderful news! :thumbup:

77e5c7a41e7ee0476dd0c307d016e120.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

After almost 4yrs off a bike, I can ride for 40mins @ 25kmh avs 2x/week with some decent hills without triggering chronic knee pain & burning :)

I sold my 54cm Cervelo thinking I'd never be able to ride again, and am borrowing the Mrs small (50cm?) EMC2 Femetape Pro. It seems to fit really well, bit like my old 51cm P3 (which I still have). I could not care less that I'm riding a girls bike, just happy to be pedaling in the sunshine again and seeing more than 140 on the HR monitor..

This all has me wondering why every bike shop I ever bought from sold me 57, 55 and 54cm bikes in the past?

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 2

After almost 4yrs off a bike, I can ride for 40mins @ 25kmh avs 2x/week with some decent hills without triggering chronic knee pain & burning :)

I sold my 54cm Cervelo thinking I'd never be able to ride again, and am borrowing the Mrs small (50cm?) EMC2 Femetape Pro. It seems to fit really well, bit like my old 51cm P3 (which I still have). I could not care less that I'm riding a girls bike, just happy to be pedaling in the sunshine again and seeing more than 140 on the HR monitor..

This all has me wondering why every bike shop I ever bought from sold me 57, 55 and 54cm bikes in the past?

Good for you. !!

Just a guess on your question. The 51 p3 is a long and low bike. Probably like a 54 in length. Riding a 51 roadie possibly has you sitting up a bit taller. Feeling a bit more comfy etc. Anyhow. Who cares. Good for you :).

I just had a drink with my foster daughter & her fiancé, then we watched her children open christmas gifts.

In March this year we didn't think the youngest was going to survive (heart complications at berth). Tonight life is good & I'm thankful for the girls in my life.

Merry Christmas to all

• Like 7

Managed my first road ride today since the op. 2hrs easy rolling ride and one climb ( Cheddar Gorge). Power was down, leg felt 'ok' , back hurt but that's to be expected. Weather was terrible but I still enjoyed it :)

• Like 3