Arpit

The good news thread

Congrats Kieran,

A milestone worthy of celebration.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Congrats Kieran,

A milestone worthy of celebration.

Im celebrating by taking the kids to the speedway to watch the sprintcars tonight while she studies at home.  She has an assignment due.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Im celebrating by taking the kids to the speedway to watch the sprintcars tonight while she studies at home.  She has an assignment due.

You'll have a good time (as will the kids, I used to love speedway every Saturday night) and your wife will get some peace & quiet to study. Win win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You'll have a good time (as will the kids, I used to love speedway every Saturday night) and your wife will get some peace & quiet to study. Win win.

I love speedway, I grew up in the early 90's going to archer field all the time before we relocated up north, and have never stopped loving it since, my young fella loves it because he gets to go in the pits to inspect all the tires every time.  my daughter loves it because she finds friends to play with and dissapears for a few hours running around.  I raced Karts and the old pony express motorbike races growing up so have always had a bit of thing for speedway

42 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I love speedway, I grew up in the early 90's going to archer field all the time before we relocated up north, and have never stopped loving it since, my young fella loves it because he gets to go in the pits to inspect all the tires every time.  my daughter loves it because she finds friends to play with and dissapears for a few hours running around.  I raced Karts and the old pony express motorbike races growing up so have always had a bit of thing for speedway

Ever go to the international stockcar teams champs in palmy North (NZ)? 

56 minutes ago, KieranR said:

We used to go to the Exhibition Speedway Saturday nights. It was the highlight of the week. I loved the bikes and the sprint cars.

31 minutes ago, pieman said:

I was only 6 when i left NZ, so i couldn't be sure if it was a champs event but i probably went to Palmerston north speedway as i had relatives in levin not to far away..

18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We used to go to the Exhibition Speedway Saturday nights. It was the highlight of the week. I loved the bikes and the sprint cars.

Bikes are the best

3 hours ago, pieman said:

That would be one of the highlights of 10 years living in Palmerston North, that before discovering alcohol

8 hours ago, KieranR said:

Well my wife and I have made it to 20 years together today ( We were 16 at the time we started dating), i still remember the day when i asked her out, still fresh in the mind, been some tough times, especially in the early days financially as we moved in together at 17 yrs old, We have never ever asked our parents or anyone else for that matter to borrow money etc, never had anything given to us to help us along in those days, we have worked very hard for what we have and its all  been earned by us, none of our friends can claim that and it something we are both very proud of.  We've had some wonderful times travelling the world together as just the two of us and have continued to travel with our kids which is something we will continue to do as it s important to us.

Also very proud that we built a beautiful house in our very early 20's which we still have, albeit its now an investment rental property for us.  She has followed me across the country 3 times to live in the West.  She somehow stayed with me way back when i would just dissapear for weeks at a time fishing up in the gulf, i would take off without notice, a few times I've been in the lock up for mischievous behavior in my early 20's and a few stern chats by the judge.

Although we are going through a tough time at the moment, I'm confident we will work through it all.  I love the girl, huge part of my life and to be honest i'd be lost without her (probably dead).

I dont think anyone from our school days has managed to stay together.

So its a good news day for me.

Congratulations mate .... you sound like you've achieved a lot in your days together and there's a long, enjoyable road ahead! Enjoy the speedway tonight.

• Like 1

I just won a 12 month Snap Fitness membership. The gym in our village is Snap, as is the one directly across the road from work in the city.

This should be fun.

Edit to add" Fitness Buddy, I also get 4 x personal training sessions, but will judge the quality of these and may be contacting you for a program. Given the way my knee is, I want someone who will listen and make allowances for what it can & can't do.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 4

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, KieranR said:

My missus and family love the speedway. We only talked about it last weekend and will go when it gets warmer.

FM

39 minutes ago, FatPom said:

This is Speedway, heathens 😎

This is what I was thinking.

Image result for exhibition speedway brisbane

It's been a while since I've been.

My Dad used to race, so speedway was always "the bikes", and I used to love going to watch the Tests between Aus & NZ or England.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This is what I was thinking.

Image result for exhibition speedway brisbane

It's been a while since I've been.

My Dad used to race, so speedway was always "the bikes", and I used to love going to watch the Tests between Aus & NZ or England.

I knew of it in my youth because we lived about 40km from Bristol where a lot of speedway was raced at Ashton Gate football ground.  IIRC, it was the Aussie Crump family that were speedway royalty. These days when I watch, it seems heavily dominated by the Eastern Euro teams.

• Like 1

I always loved doing the Sprintcars / Speedway season over the Christmas / New Year period in Warrnambool / Portland / Mt Gambier ..... such a difficult beast to get right, either on 2 wheels or 4 and the noise and the AvGas and the mud ..... Takes me back.

• Like 1

Hey FP - in the Europe i love how they race bikes against the other clubs midweek, I've followed a lot of Aussies over the last few years, just froth on the bikes, It's ballsy stuff, its a real shame the young Aussie Darcy Ward is now a paraplegic after his crash a couple of years ago now, he was the world u21 champ and had massive talent.

Hey RImmer, Sprintcars are so exciting, we just had a two night sprintcar stampede up here in Karratha last weekend, i took the kids out as I do every weekend when we have speedway, but we also love the standard street stocks, thats grass roots racing at its best.  we also have a very strong junior racing program here which is great to see.

• Like 1

I dont understand the no contact 'stockcar classes over here and  in the UK... sprint cars are hard core though

Edited by pieman

I spent a lot of friday nights at Granville speedway in Sydney as a young fella. My friends big brothers used to have derby cars. We would help repaint them. (Tin and brush stuff) 

Was in the Rush and Tatnell era so plenty of great racing. 

A lot on here would remember the name Troy Fidler. He was supposed to follow in his dad's footsteps & race Midgets (speedcars). I think his Dad won a couple of championships out here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pieman said:

I dont understand the no contact 'stockcar classes over here and  in the UK... sprint cars are hard core though

Stock car must mean something different these days. Back in the Stone Age when I was young ‘stock car’ was also called banger racing and was the polar opposite of ‘no contact’.

6 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Stock car must mean something different these days. Back in the Stone Age when I was young ‘stock car’ was also called banger racing and was the polar opposite of ‘no contact’.

Yeah I know there is a bit of contact in the classes over there but they have 'stock rods' here (Brisbane) which would fall apart if the bumpers were used...

Every year, the poms send a team over to the teams champs (4 vs 4)  where they borrow locals cars and they usually equip themselves very well. Frankie Wainman Jr has quite a following and Lee Fairhurst.. I just reckon these guys are crazy throwing round these things that nowadays cost over $100k and basically demolishing them..it's come a long way since I was a kid and most guys built cars and engines in their back shed.. Nothing tastes as good as a dirt covered hot dog either.. 😉 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pieman said:

Nothing tastes as good as a dirt covered hot dog either.. 😉 

It wasn't just the dirt either. Lots of car pieces, chunks of tyre and the occasional midget or sprint car used to come over the fence. There was no safety fence when we used to go, and between bike races, the kids would all jump over on to the track to pick up the throw-away goggle protectors. 

OHS ruins all the fun. ;)

• Like 2

On 20/06/2018 at 7:21 PM, FatPom said:

I knew of it in my youth because we lived about 40km from Bristol where a lot of speedway was raced at Ashton Gate football ground.  IIRC, it was the Aussie Crump family that were speedway royalty. These days when I watch, it seems heavily dominated by the Eastern Euro teams.

Yep. Crumps from around here. Big speedway culture here, and a fair few did alright overseas.

Speedway bikes and sidecars

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A lot on here would remember the name Troy Fidler. He was supposed to follow in his dad's footsteps & race Midgets (speedcars). I think his Dad won a couple of championships out here.

Hell of a racer .... both of them!