workinglikeadog

Microsoft Excel help

1 minute ago, skel said:

So, 78% of 215, then 82% of 67 etc etc.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but is it as simple as:

=(a1/100)*b1

where a1 is percentage figure for school 1 (eg 78%) and b1 is number at school (eg 215)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skel said:

Hello......my six monthly check in.....

I am trying to gather together data for two sunsets of schools, 8 in one group and 9 in the other.  The senior leadership want baseline data for each group. 

Some data is simply just adding and divding, as I can access raw number. Some data sets are in percentages for that school.   Simple if it was just a single school. But one school may have 100 students, another 50.  Is there a formula to work backwards to go from a percentage to a number.  Once I have the raw numbers I can work out totals and graphs.

So, 78% of 215, then 82% of 67 etc etc.

Is there a question in there?

If you want 78% of 215 then simply multiply 215 by 78%.

Remember % is simply another way of expressing a fraction relative to 100. 78% = 78/100ths or 0.78

How come they are able to freeform the data?  Really!! In this digital age they should be sent the pro forma and return it completed in standard format and content. 

Waiting for the day our AI overloads at MS implement a feature where if you even start thinking of using the wrong datatype, evil clippy jumps out with a taser gun...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XCOM! said:

Waiting for the day our AI overloads at MS implement a feature where if you even start thinking of using the wrong datatype, evil clippy jumps out with a taser gun...

And JavaScript moves to strict variable typing.... Oh that will be the day!

15 minutes ago, monkie said:

And JavaScript moves to strict variable typing.... Oh that will be the day!

Dare I say it... TypeScript.

Ok, Im sure this will be a simple one, but im trying to change the numbers in any of these cells, for example change one to a 3 instead of a 1, and i get the message, 

"this value doesn't match the data validation restrictions defined for this cell"

Dont know whats happened but its the same for every cell, i click on the arrow and theres nothing to choose, then i manually type in the number i get the above message.  Look at the Domgas Electrical cell as my reference.

image.png.c767ebfc2f9db231669ab1520026171b.png

image.png.b6c2e82c767c01bce1074b41f2c7455d.png

Click on the cell. Then select DATA from the menu tabs up top. Then select the Data Validation drop down, then under that select Data Validation. That will show you what the cell will accept. You may then be able to modify it unless it has been locked.

image.png.3f48181e47e62431b75f6cfe437548ce.png

This shows that I have set the criteria validation to be a date between 1/1/2018 and 10/10/2018.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

ok this is what comes up, no idea what to do next, but i need to be able to put in a selection option of 1 to 10 in the drop down on each cell in the sheet

That source on this cell doesn't make sense to me currently

image.png.adeb9e6fe38812b9d8e97b32c959b01f.png

The source is referencing a table on Row 2 that goes from column Q to AB

It looks like the above table is trying to stop the user from entering too many personnel, the data validation should be linked to a table of the available contractors 

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

ok this is what comes up, no idea what to do next, but i need to be able to put in a selection option of 1 to 10 in the drop down on each cell in the sheet

That source on this cell doesn't make sense to me currently

image.png.adeb9e6fe38812b9d8e97b32c959b01f.png

Kieran,

What is in the cells Q2 to AB2? They will be the drop down list, and the only numbers you can select.

By the sounds of it those cells are empty. Best if you enter 1, 2, 3.....10 in the cells Q2 to Z2, then change the text in the Source box to "=$Q$2:$Z$2"

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Figured it out

Some columns beside the table were hidden that had the numbering 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 0, once i un hid these columns it seems to have come back

My boss made a change to the spreadsheet and for whatever reason this occurred - finally figured out something on excel without nearly resigning

image.png.52ad9b5a5db4c836c4c1c2915f4a3354.png

5 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Some columns beside the table were hidden

Hidden rows and columns drive me nuts.

Whenever I find them I educate the engineers to use groups to achieve the same thing but the expand/contract boxes leave a visible marker to warns others that there are hidden items. 

Select the columns or rows you want to hide then select Menu>Data>Group. 

• Thanks 1

How can you get the x axis to be linear rather than just a set distance between each point? I have a table that has 5 points to go along the x axis, 10, 25, 40, 55 & 70. How do I get these to show in a graph the correct distance apart (to scale), and not the same distance apart?

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How can you get the x axis to be linear rather than just a set distance between each point? I have a table that has 5 points to go along the x axis, 10, 25, 40, 55 & 70. How do I get these to show in a graph the correct distance apart (to scale), and not the same distance apart?

Use an scatter chart instead of a column or line chart. You can then use linear or logarithmic scales on both axes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

Use an scatter chart instead of a column or line chart. You can then use linear or logarithmic scales on both axes.

Thanks Alex. Exactly what I wanted.