hacq1

Wireless headphones

Just now, goughy said:

I'd be spewing at that rbr...

They aren't a sports headphone but I find them really comfortable.   When I say fall apart the stitching comes loose and then have a tendency to lose them.  They haven't actually fallen apart.

1 hour ago, Kenneth said:

Looking through this thread, dayum it got sidetracked. 

Anyway, looking for some headphones when using the kickr. Thought noise cancelling would be best and wireless. But open t suggestions. 

The latest bose get great reviews, but don't know how sweat proof they'd be. 

What are people using?

I have the Bose, and I use them for everything - windtrainer, running. Had them since March and still work great. 

The cost of the Bose is a bit scary. Do travel a bit so could be handy there, but wouldn't run with them I don't think. Have never run with music to date, don't imagine that will change. 

Thanks for the other tips, will look into. Still a couple of weeks away. Heading to nz for the snow so will use the tax back scheme. And stock up on (more) scotch

I wanna find a pair of something too.  I bought some cheapies that I saw on Lifehacker that were about $25, and I'm not sure they were worth the $25.  It's just so much for them....... by my standard anyway ;)

1 hour ago, Kenneth said:

The cost of the Bose is a bit scary. Do travel a bit so could be handy there, but wouldn't run with them I don't think. Have never run with music to date, don't imagine that will change. 

Thanks for the other tips, will look into. Still a couple of weeks away. Heading to nz for the snow so will use the tax back scheme. And stock up on (more) scotch

Bose CQ35 are amazing fro travel but I would never use them on the trainer or running. I use iPhone earbuds on the trainer & when running.

Jumping in to take off topic again. Sorry not sorry.

I'm an introvert, my down time is my long run or my long ride where I don't have to interact with other people. My podcasts and my music are my good times... If I'm beasting myself at the same time then all the better.

I take one ear out when near traffic, only put both in on safe cycle paths because I'm not mad but to judge people for listening to things seems a tad tough,,,

5 hours ago, monkie said:

If I'm beasting myself at the same time then all the better.

Some things you do on your run we don't want to know about!!!! :o

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Bose CQ35 are amazing fro travel but I would never use them on the trainer or running. I use iPhone earbuds on the trainer & when running.

I totally forgot about the headphones than came with the iPhone. That's probably a good place to start....I do like spending money though.

• Like 1

FYI these are worth consideration

https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones-Sweatproof/dp/B00LP6CFEC

I actually bought three pairs as they were only $20US and they have been going strong for the last couple of months with running and riding including with sweat and light drizzling rain. For trainer sessions they do block out most of the noise eg large fans, which is good. And they stay nicely in my ears

On 7/1/2017 at 2:28 AM, monkie said:

Jumping in to take off topic again. Sorry not sorry.

I'm an introvert, my down time is my long run or my long ride where I don't have to interact with other people. My podcasts and my music are my good times... If I'm beasting myself at the same time then all the better.

I take one ear out when near traffic, only put both in on safe cycle paths because I'm not mad but to judge people for listening to things seems a tad tough,,,

Disagree.  Ive had so many near misses on 'safe bike paths ' with people with headphones in for music or the phone.. you can't hear approaching bikes behind you,  bells or "passing on right". 

This doesn't sound like it fits with the other thread where you say you're always safety focused..?

I used to do this all the time but now prefer to be fully aware and Also realised how much louder i had to have it to overcome wind noise etc and realised that wasn't the best.  

4 hours ago, pieman said:

Disagree.  Ive had so many near misses on 'safe bike paths ' with people with headphones in for music or the phone.. you can't hear approaching bikes behind you,  bells or "passing on right". 

This doesn't sound like it fits with the other thread where you say you're always safety focused..?

I used to do this all the time but now prefer to be fully aware and Also realised how much louder i had to have it to overcome wind noise etc and realised that wasn't the best.  

By safe cycle paths I mean the empty ones where you can see a long old way, and it's pretty rare that I'll have both in. I also never listen to music just spoken word podcasts which I assume helps.

I have never felt unaware of my surroundings or had a near miss because of it. Maybe I've been lucky...

I hate running. I do it to avoid saggy boobs and cellulite! ?

If listening to music motivates you to do, well so be it. 

Edited by beginnergirl
  • Like 1

Bumping this up 

anyone tried the apple AirPods? 

They seem like decent option, they are not advertised as waterproof but apparently they are reasonably waterproof, also you can use only one pod and it automatically reconfigures itself as mono so you don’t lose the other side of the audio. 

I've backed these little beauties on Kickstarter: Liberty+ worth having a look at I think.

Scroll down there's a comparison chart against the other similar headphones, which I've copied below. Many of my colleagues at work use the apple pods, think they look like they have a massive snot coming out of their ears. Do your research on the average sound quality for music, and the fit as there doesn't seem to be different buds.

1c6ae7cdb2b59644775fe88080561e1b_original.jpg

Ten Pints, if you drop one of those while riding it might be gone for ever. Do they have date of sale yet?

Edited by Rocket Salad

Who wears headphones while riding?

I guess I never ride alone though, so always have someone to talk to, cause, you know, I like talking!

Well, at least you don't have to worry about a car coming up behind you and not hearing it!

3 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Ten Pints, if you drop one of those while riding it might be gone for ever. Do they have date of sale yet?

Yeah, been thinking about that, will try them out on a run first and the bike training and see how they go before going out on a ride. They claim great stay-in-ear technology, so we'll see about that, but the other features attracted me to them.

I only listen to music when I'm on the M7 bike path.

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Who wears headphones while riding?

That the reason I was looking at the Apple ones as you can wear one only and still get all the audio. 

Just a heads-up, I've seen a crowd-funded headset that uses the whole 'bone' technology, so the headphone doesn't sit on/in/over the ear canal, meaning that you get the best of both worlds...let me try and find it...

There is the coros helmet, It uses Bluetooth and  jawbone tech to broadcast sound, obviously can't use it running but would be better on the bike than having earplug in

4 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

I do.

Yeah I do too, quiet roads, volume turned down. 

2 hours ago, roxii said:

That the reason I was looking at the Apple ones as you can wear one only and still get all the audio. 

Saw a lot of people do that in the USA 

Anniversary on Sunday, and had no idea what to get the Mrs.  I reckon she might like the airpods.....  In particular being able to wear one only as she listens to a lot of podcasts and other stuff while in the loungeroom and reckon she'd like the idea of using just the one.

Has anyone tried any of the totally wireless buds out there?  Peeps keep asking me what I want for xmas.  Not after airpods - firstly can't own anything apple, second I don't like the fit, third can't own anything apple.

Was thinking of the google pixels but of course there's the cord, and when walking the pup I like to have only one in.  There's some jaybird ones that look good, but have read some saying the bluetooth disconnects if you don't have the phone really close to the right side, and I'd keep it in my left pocket.

I just got a test pair of aftershokz. They're better than I thought. Worth a look if you still want to hear stuff around you. 

• Like 2

I have tried most of them, and have taken back most of them to jb hifi, who have replaced them no questions each time.  I now have the Bose which are durable and fit great. 

On 27/12/2014 at 9:51 AM, TenPints said:

I use the Sony W Series (it might have been my post Rog refers to). 4GB MP3 waterproof (can be used for swimming), no wires and never had them slip out of my ears. Drag and Drop from your music collection.

http://www.sony.com.au/pa-mp3-walkman/range/For-The-Sports-Enthusiasts/587358

They are not there.  The site doesn't work :(

So from this thread I've got the options of soundpeats, zolo liberty, aftershokz. What else is out there? Or are these the best options?

I've also found

Trekz Titanium Aftershockz $149. They have 6 hours of battery life and a 2 year warranty.

Also Plantronics BackBeat Fit $121. Waterproof. 2yr warranty.  A 15 minute quick charge will get you one hour of listening time. A full charge takes 2 hours.

ETA - Plantronics also tries to conserve theBackBeat Fit's battery. When it's out of range of your tablet or phone, it goes through its "DeepSleep" power-saving hibernation mode. The BackBeat Fitwill last two weeks on standby, with eight hours of listening time and six for talking.

Edited by Cranky

I just got a test pair of aftershokz. They're better than I thought. Worth a look if you still want to hear stuff around you. 

If you want some let me know ;) I'll sort something out for you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm waiting for your store to open! !

Screenshot_2018-01-06-17-10-59.png

9 minutes ago, willie said:

OK. I'm in.  PM coming your way.  Sick of looking now! 

I'm really keen for a set of jaybird run, particularly cause you can use just one of them.  When I walk I only put one side in so I can hear what's going on around me! I have a super cheap pair of Bluetooth ones I think I saw on Lifehacker or something that cost me a grand total of about $30.  

I'm sitting outside near the beach, reading (well I was for 5 mins till I got distracted enough to check trannies) wearing my huge Kickstarter Nura headphones. No idea why we backed them; I think we got sucked into a story Waleed did on them, but I'm friggin loving them. But not for when wandering with the pup.

Edited by goughy

I love the trex titaniums, I use them heaps now. And as for 6 hour battery life, I had them on (quietly) for a 6.45 hour ride last week, and a couple of days later put them back on for a 30min run and they were still fine. If you get the volume right, you can still hear all car noise, other runners etc.

On 29/09/2017 at 11:16 AM, Limited said:

There is the coros helmet, It uses Bluetooth and  jawbone tech to broadcast sound, obviously can't use it running but would be better on the bike than having earplug in

My mate and I were at a bike shop in brissie last week, and they had a rep with a display of these in there.  I didn't bother, but my mate tried one on and was pretty impressed.....  think he'll have a new helmet after he gets back from Europe.

Ok, slightly different tangent than Sports ones....

My son wants some Bluetooth over ear headphones for Xmas.  Looking sub $200.  Any recommendations?  He's talking Skullcandy.  There's a couple of pairs of Sony that look good, though I can't tell if their over ear or on ear.  And have read good things about Plantronics?

Guest FFF1077
On 16/08/2018 at 9:55 AM, goughy said:

Ok, slightly different tangent than Sports ones....

My son wants some Bluetooth over ear headphones for Xmas.  Looking sub $200.  Any recommendations?  He's talking Skullcandy.  There's a couple of pairs of Sony that look good, though I can't tell if their over ear or on ear.  And have read good things about Plantronics?

I got a pair of Seinhutgyfg(whatever they are called) with my new phone plan. They're good sound, Bluetooth signal is average, drops out over 5m. I have other ear buds where I can get 10m at least. The over ear style is comfy but I look like a Koala, so I let my daughter use them. 

That's a pretty good price for those (granted out of stock).  I've got a pair of Nuraphones myself which he can't have!

Bump.

Need a pair of wireless headphones. What's the latest?  Any recommendations?

You talking big headphones, or little earbuds?