AA7

Grant Hackett comeback

Yeah, but he's used to half his players getting on gear over the break, so his judgment might be slightly off :D

• Like 2

If his wife felt unsafe or threatened it is domestic violence, if he was yelling and breaking things due to his anger it is domestic violence. No level is acceptable or excusable no matter how much you want a sporting hero, a good friend or even a family member's actions to not be considered domestic violence.

If you read my comments, i said that this thread wasn't about domestic violence. It was about Hackett's comeback. I only commented on the stretch of breaking stuff and burning down a house with your ex inside. Start a thread on domestic violence in the sand box if you want to talk about definitions, actions, personal views et al. This is about his comeback.

Stay on subject

I think I would be the same if I had to get up at 4am and stare at a black line for hours on end!

Also, they are treated like royalty when they are up and coming, and then at the top of their game. Kind of like child stars! Except child stars get too old to hire.

Body Lengths, the biography of Leisl Jones is a real eye opener into what goes on in the squads and on the trips. Really disturbing the way she talkes about stillnox and how it was openly handed out like lollies to the Australian swim squad (including 16 and 17 year olds), and the side effects including addiction that occurs with it.

Sounds like Hackett is trying to maintain a life in the public eye while still battling alot of demons from those years, while also trying to figure out what he is meant to do with his life now. Rather ironic that part of that involves the same media that is prepared to sacrifice him for readership and ratings

I think people struggle to understand the difference between an excuse and an explanation.

If you read my comments, i said that this thread wasn't about domestic violence. It was about Hackett's comeback. I only commented on the stretch of breaking stuff and burning down a house with your ex inside. Start a thread on domestic violence in the sand box if you want to talk about definitions, actions, personal views et al. This is about his comeback.

Stay on subject

Sure, that's fine. I just wanted to take the opportunity raise awareness of what is a serious problem that is often misunderstood.

In regard to the subject, the come back may have been a distraction from other serious issues Mr Hackett is facing and should deal with. I hope he get's the help he needs.

Gotta love it when your best defence is that you were passed out drunk

Maybe David Burt should have said the same thing when he stole the Triathlon Australia Monaro

Isn't Mottram doing ironman?

:lol:

He was on a list of people I saw that had Rio Marathon qualification events coming up.

It's over.

His comeback to drinking is well and truly on track after his stint in rehab.

It's over.

Thats probably true. But for a judgemental error though, he may well be still in training with a seat on the plane to rio and would likely have not been drowning his sorrows at/after an AFL game and nipple pinched some poor precious 'young executive' in the business seat in front.

Fate's a fickle thing

Edited by Gunsbuns

Don't go there Peter !!.

Haha. I wonder how many have gone, WTF. Monaro?

If the 'W' stands for 'Where?', then most of TA I would imagine!

Edited by FatPom

The Monaro was just the getaway for the real ruse - Plazbot's arm warmers!!!

Â

The Monaro was just the getaway for the real ruse - Plazbot's arm warmers!!!

Plaz's arm warmers, where the intellects at triathlon Australia asked him to prove he didn't get something ....... Gold

TA got smarter.

They stopped doing everything and since that day haven't stuffed anything up.

Sadly the sport hasn't grown either.

• Like 1

I met Grant just before the 2004 Olympics when he was wheeled into a marketing pitch for the Company I worked for and I had always been a fan of his. He seemed a nice, genuine guy. His style in the water - and that of Kieran Perkins - was one of the most effortless I have ever studied, before and since.

I also have to admire his bravery in facing his demons and trying to make a comeback at his age in one of the most competitive world squads around.

BUT, the guy is troubled and needs to sort himself out. He definitely has that "type-A", addictive personality and is a very intense guy, so you can see how it can all come undone the minute he stops being structured and disciplined. Paul Gacoigne is the same - brilliant on his day, a mess otherwise.

I reckon, when the dust has settled on this, someone should take him aside and talk to him about reputation and legacy. It's not about going "into rehab" either - that is so short-termist. Do you want to be known as one of the world's greatest swimmers, a triple Olympic gold medalist, a triple Olympic silver medalist and also an Olympic bronze medalist ..... or that bloke who can't hold his booze, creates a mess of himself in public and trashes his apartment such that his missus divorces him? What does he want his kids to think of him?

when he was wheeled into a marketing pitch

Was he passed out drunk then too?

• Like 1

Was he passed out drunk then too?

No, he wasn't. Our marketing agency wheeled him out when he was being sponsored by Audi and that was coming to an end at the conclusion of 2004. They were looking for a four year contract to tide him over until the end of the Beijing Games.

I made a comment that he was still in contract and that I had heard they were pimping him around every car Company (he was with Holden previously) and that was not a good position to be in as everyone knew. Said that it was inappropriate that he was in the room and asked him to leave.

And these are the people that were advising him!!!

I was just making a joke based on him being seen slumped in a wheelchair at the airport and your turn of phrase "wheeled him out", but no worries.

• Like 1

My last post on this.

Before passing too much judgement maybe some posters should visit the mental health thread where we have a variety of really normal people who have or have expressed various issues or problems and they receive terrific support. None are multi Olympic and world championship gold medalists. None are world record holders. But none of that matters to those giving their support. So why should it matter if the person is an elite athlete or sporting hero? Shouldn't we be as understanding regardless? Like Rimmer, i have met Grant Hackett on a few occasions. My son has also met him through his swimming. Every single occasion he has been just as Rimmer described. Gracious, not at all big headed and just a normal bloke. I wish all of our sporting 'celebrities' were like this. Personally, i wish the guy well. He's worked really hard at his sport for a long time and excelled at one of the most grueling and time consuming events - long distance swimming. - and very nearly created a bit of history that would not be matched for some time. We are arguably the best swimming nation in the world per capita and the second best full stop. When the Olympics come around the highest rating events in this country will be the swimming. This bloke very nearly made the Aussie team in the hardest team to make at the Olympics - by far - in this country, at the age of 35! Its unheard off. Had i had a skinful and reached forward in my business class seat on my way back from Adelaide last firiday and pinched the nipple of the guy in front who was reclining his seat onto my face, no one would have given a toss. If i trained my guts out and missed my goal and drowned my sorrows, who here would be denigrating me? But when one of our real sporting stars does this, we jump on the 'lets kick em' train. As i said before, bloody shameful to those who do this.

I Just wish he was on my flight and in seat 3a and grabbed my nipple because if he had, i'd have reached back and given him the same, had a laugh and that would have been the end of it.

Edited by Gunsbuns

My last post on this.

Before passing too much judgement maybe some posters should visit the mental health thread where we have a variety of really normal people who have or have expressed various issues or problems and they receive terrific support. None are multi Olympic and world championship gold medalists. None are world record holders. But none of that matters to those giving their support. So why should it matter if the person is an elite athlete or sporting hero? Shouldn't we be as understanding regardless? Like Rimmer, i have met Grant Hackett on a few occasions. My son has also met him through his swimming. Every single occasion he has been just as Rimmer described. Gracious, not at all big headed and just a normal bloke. I wish all of our sporting 'celebrities' were like this. Personally, i wish the guy well. He's worked really hard at his sport for a long time and excelled at one of the most grueling and time consuming events - long distance swimming. - and very nearly created a bit of history that would not be matched for some time. We are arguably the best swimming nation in the world per capita and the second best full stop. When the Olympics come around the highest rating events in this country will be the swimming. This bloke very nearly made the Aussie team in the hardest team to make at the Olympics - by far - in this country, at the age of 35! Its unheard off. Had i had a skinful and reached forward in my business class seat on my way back from Adelaide last firiday and pinched the nipple of the guy in front who was reclining his seat onto my face, no one would have given a toss. If i trained my guts out and missed my goal and drowned my sorrows, who here would be denigrating me? But when one of our real sporting stars does this, we jump on the 'lets kick em' train. As i said before, bloody shameful to those who do this.

I Just wish he was on my flight and in seat 3a and grabbed my nipple because if he had, i'd have reached back and given him the same, had a laugh and that would have been the end of it.

I think the guy whose nipple you tweaked might have cared

To be honest, I am more disappointed than anything in him and his behaviour, whatever the reason. As someone who is not a father (well, not that I know of anyway .... eh eh!! ... sorry for the bawdy, 1970s reference there ...), I would hate to think that the two people who I could influence and shape to be outstanding people (i.e. his daughters), might now think Dad's a bit of a dick!

And Mum has a reason to tell them that he's being a dick! And the cycle repeats.

For what my opinion is worth, this is the problem with the cossetted life of a professional sportsperson. They are trained within an inch of their lives, balance their work with society and society's expectations of them, can be put through media training as much as is possible to represent sponsors and the sport, but the support for how to behave is often not there when they retire.

A mate of mine rowed for GB in the Eight at the Olympics. I met her in 2009 and she had a 2012 diary with all of the pages beyond the 2nd of August ripped out as she was no longer the concern of GB Rowing beyond that point. No funding, no preparation for the "outside world", no transition. Nothing.

Now, she did the right thing and developed beyond sitting in a boat going backwards and is now a journalist, but it appears that the same support network (beyond friends and family) hasn't been there when GH went off the rails; this is also making allowances for his Arts & Law degrees and an MBA!

I just hope someone close to him is able to help him work through this AND that he also wants to work through it!

• Like 1

I get ape shit drunk for time to time and never make the papers. Why does this make Hackett a bad guy? Sounds like the kind of dude worth partying with.

Because people may expect that of you, yet don't expect that of him! It's the difference between the public "owning" you and being part of the public.

And for those sportspeople who say that the public don't / shouldn't own you, bad luck. It comes with the territory and the paycheck. I don't care whatever anyone does in the comfort and safety of their homes, but we can't change societal expectations.

I also agree ... I reckon he would be great to have a few with, but that's the last thing he needs now!

Sad turn of events for Grant this week. Obviously very unwell, hope he gets the help he needs.

• Like 3

I love old posts bought back.

The guy had the world at his feet.

Successful. Good looking. Driven.

Maybe he should just stay off the grog. Forever.

Another celebrity like gary lyon that claims depression as an excuse.

Whilst ut might be they are taking the puss out of people that really suffer depression with no way out.

Meanwhile lyon amd hackett both have millions to help them.

Hackett is a farktard.

What sort of family is this anyway. So very quick to bring there troubles to the media.

It's a family issue - keep it in house. Who knows what the truth is, or might be!

Being a parent who has been through a similar situation 17 months ago, I do feel for the parents.

It is physically and emotionally draining enough, without all the media hunting out headlines 24/7.

• Like 2

What sort of family is this anyway. So very quick to bring there troubles to the media.

It's a family issue - keep it in house. Who knows what the truth is, or might be!

Given yesterday they told the media to mind their own business.

Today. We need your help.

Please. You can't have it both ways.

He's been found, sober, and in hiding. Wants to stay that way. Is embarrassed. Let's leave him alone for him and his family to sort things out.

I actually studied media production and journalism at uni, was gonna be a pretty good camera man and editor. One of the reasons I didn't want into the industry is because harassing people was most likely where I was gonna start out. Really didn't want to do that.

• Like 3

You never know. It seems atm his problem is with alcohol, which can make the right person violent enough. Been hearing of comparisons to Ben Cousins....... don't think he's in the same category! He seems embarrassed by what's happening to him - cousins was more proud wasn't he?

Met him back in 2004 and he was always a hero of mine. Proof that you should never meet your heroes!

He needs the help from his family and to stay off IG, Facebook, the booze and anything else he is taking. Lots of repair work to be done here, but he has shown that comebacks are possible.

His family needs to stay away from the media too. Puttng out a media APB when he disappeared for a couple of hours, wouldnt have helped.

Met him back in 2004 and he was always a hero of mine. Proof that you should never meet your heroes!

He needs the help from his family and to stay off IG, Facebook, the booze and anything else he is taking. Lots of repair work to be done here, but he has shown that comebacks are possible.

More to the point ...... don't have hero's. I have never understood people can say that someone is a hero of their's. A favourite athlete yes.... but a hero.....Common!!!!!!

Plus in today's world everyone is a now a legend! A legend is a myth - - figment of the imagination.

• Like 2

Let Grant be.

But as I said before...his family - especially his brother was very forth coming when talking to the media...answered nearly every question. What's he hiding I wonder. Maybe he did beat the crap out of Grant. Remember Craig Hacket was an Uncle Toby's Ironman for many years....then Grant stole his thunder......perhaps he's been waiting to give Grant a hiding for a long time ;)