Sign in to follow this  
Merv

BBQ

I always cook on the plate. The grill section has never been used. Only turn steak once; when I see blood polling on to of the steak I turn it, when it starts again its done.

Everything is better on a BBQ. Even if it's not, it is.

• Like 1

I always cook on the plate. The grill section has never been used. Only turn steak once; when I see blood polling on to of the steak I turn it, when it starts again its done.

Everything is better on a BBQ. Even if it's not, it is.

if you see blood you've killed it.

+1 for Steely's advise. Never clean, just scrape off.

But for the love of God, ALWAYS clean it up post BBQ and NEVER leave it until pre the next BBQ.

Have seen people leave them covered in fat and gunk for day, even weeks, in between firing it up..............that's just nasty.

Most importantly, however, if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of a marriage breakdown, and you are the one that ultimately leaves the family home DO NOT forget to grab the BBQ plate that you have carefully seasoned over 20+ years on the way out.

God I miss that Barbie plate...................

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OK, so I think we're in the market for a new bbq.  Our's doesn't really light well, if at all these days and the outside is pretty crapped, although it's the lighting that's pissing me off.  Especially if there's a touch of breeze.

Now, I'm not really someone fancy.  I don't like cooking (but do all of it).  Current bbq is 7 years old; has a side wok burner (never used once); a roasting hood (never used once); half of it is plate and the other half is grill (grill side has never been used once).  It sits outside under the patio but will get some weather on it.  I've never had a cover on it.

Am I stupid to just ask the Mrs for something like this.....

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/downunder-4-burner-hotplate

....... when in 25 years of bbq usage I've never used anything more than the plate (unless there's been lots of people forcing the usage of the grill, but still haven't used it once on the current one).  She's looking second hand at stainless bigger ones, and as great as they look I just don't think I'll use most of it.  I don't keep anything in the storage inside.  The only thing I'd miss with the one I listed is someone off of the side to place things.  But I could sort something out.  Heck, I don't even cook bacon on the bbq anymore since discovering the oven and even eggs cook so great on the new non stick pans I got.........  It's really just about the sausages and steak?

Anything else I should know about when buying one?

Edit to add:  the current one is the same brand as the one I linked.  It's biggest issue has been with ignition, where it only lights from one burner and you have to keep clicking it to get it to spark.  The linked one has flame thrower ignition on all four burners.

Goughy,

I'd be more tempted to go the bit more and get something like https://www.bunnings.com.au/jumbuck-4-burner-hooded-stardom-bbq-with-side-burner_p3180779 over the one you got.  $100 difference but reckon it's a much better BBQ

I got a new BBQ (2 actually) when we moved into the new house, old one was left behind on hard rubbish after 12 years of use.  I use the hood all the time now (first BBQ I've had with one) and find it cooks things alot better through.  The other one you may want to consider is the Webber, we tend to use this more with the caravan or when going away, but might give you more options and cooks eggs and bacon really well on it as well, and that's before you even get into the roasts.  Webbers always seem to do specials around Christmas if you want to get a cheaper price