Sign in to follow this  
Niseko

Astana In Trouble

The fastest guy on the team is clean though. Don't you worry about him.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/11/fourth-rider-linked-to-astana-team-tests-positive-okishev-fails-a-test-for-steroids/

Fourth rider linked to Astana team tests positive; Okishev fails A test for steroids Will latest case tip the balance for the Kazakhstani team when Licence Commission assesses WorldTour place? By Shane Stokes - November 19, 2014

Already set to face the UCI Licence Commission which will decide whether or not the team should be given a WorldTour licence for 2015, the doping cloud the Astana team is under has darkened with the news that a fourth rider with links to the team has tested positive.

The UCI announced Wednesday that the Kazakhstani rider Victor Okishev has tested positive for anabolic androgenic steroids. Okishev is a member of Astana’s Continental team, a feeder squad for the WorldTour outfit, and was tested at the Asian Cycling Championships on May 29 of this year.

He became a stagiaire with the Continental team in August 2013 and graduated to a full contract with the team prior to the start of the 2014 season. His results this year include fourth in the country’s under 23 time trial championships as well as top ten placings on stages of the Vuelta Mexico and the Tour de Korea.

The UCI said that Okishev has been provisionally suspended and has the right to request and attend the analysis of the B sample. If that confirms the A result or if he decides not to have his B sample tested, he could face a lengthy ban.

Astana’s spate of positives began on September 10 when the UCI confirmed that Valentin Iglinskiy had failed a doping test taken on the opening day of the Eneco Tour on August 11. The A sample had revealed traces of EPO. The rider waived the right to have his B sample tested and was fired from the Astana team.

On October 1st the UCI’s list of provisionally suspended riders revealed that his older brother Maxim Iglinskiy had also failed an A sample test for the same substance.

The former Liège-Bastogne-Liège and Strade Bianche winner was part of Vincenzo Nibali’s Tour de France winning team and was tested on August 1st, one day before he finished 26th in the Clasica San Sebastian.

He too has decided against getting the B sample tested, although not before the Astana team indicated that he would do so and were able to ride Il Lombardia and the Tour of Almaty as a result.

A member of the MPCC anti-doping organisation, the team would otherwise have had to sit out those races under that body’s rules.

On October 16 the UCI revealed that a third rider, Kazakhstan’s national champion Ilya Davidenok, tested positive on August 27, shortly after winning stage four of the Tour de l’Avenir. His A sample analysis revealed the presence of anabolic androgenic steroids.

He has ridden for Astana’s Continental team since January 1 2012, and became a stagiaire with the Astana Pro Team on August 1 of this year. He won the Tour of Qinghai Lake in July and placed eighth in the world under 23 road race championships in September.

Although the latest positive isn’t linked to a rider racing with the WorldTour team, it further enforces claims that the team is either tolerant of doping or simply not doing enough to try to ensure its riders are clean.

The UCI’s Licence Commission assessment will seek to determine if the problem goes beyond the positive riders. It will consider if the team itself should be sanctioned.

CyclingCentral@CyclingCentral 1h

Fifth positive for Astana, Kazakhstan as Fedosseyev is pinged http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/57397/Fifth-positive-for-Astana-Kazakhstan-as-Fedosseyev-is-pinged #sbscycling

About the only thing that could reduce the suspicion around Nibali being guilty by association is the fact the 5 blokes pinged have all been Kazakhs.

So, there is the possibility that there is a National influence coming to bear that the 'foreign guy' doesn't get.

Edited by Tyno

About the only thing that could reduce the suspicion around Nibali being guilty by association is the fact the 5 blokes pinged have all been Kazakhs.

yeah but look at lance. He was associated with guys that all got busted or admitted and never tested positive.

So Nibali is almost 100% clean

True, but Lance was a US rider on a US team where blokes of various nationalities were getting busted.

The fact it's a nationally backed team, with only people from that nation getting busted (so far) gives him some deniability.

How plausible that deniability is will be largely determined by individual biases.

this is usual for teams. lances mates all doped so they were able to support him. NO leader can win the TDF without their team.

the leading team is obliged to sit on the front and do the work. (or if you were europcar, sit on the front and let breaks decimate the field)

rabobank, the same supporting chicken - most those riders have all been done.

cadel struggled with support from lotto, until he got to BMC - yeah george and co. team mates who now can support him (all dopers)

its not really changed, and it is how the TDF is raced.

i doubt sky were squeaky clean, and astana have proven not to be.

* i should add tho. perhaps some of these leaders are clean, but the "dirty" workhorses of the day are the guys doing the bulk of the work. leaders just come out on the last climb inside the 1km. BORING tactic.

Edited by louey

At least that little s@#t Dmitry Garg from Kazakhstan was always clean!!! NOT.There needs to be a line in the sand you cross it bye bye no more sport for you sunny jim I dont care if its a bit of steak or a I didnt know it was in my supplement excuse .

Does anyone actually care anymore. To me ...... I expect that they are all on it....... Nothing has come to light the proves otherwise.

It's also interesting that they recently named the greatest Australia tour riders........ Stuart Ogrady and Neil Stephens weren't on the list! Why.... Because they had admitted to drug use......... And the others were clean..... Hmmmmm!

yeah. our track team back in the day was rife with "controversy" (see didnt say the d-word), and this is where most of our great road riders came from.

Sean Eadie was under a bit of a cloud with the anterior pituitary peptides wasnt he? was he a coach or just assistant at the last olympics and commonwealth games?

Matt white (cyclist not the triathlete) seems to have rebounded ok eventually

Well done Cookson you knob. For someone who got to be head of UCI on a holier than f******* thou stance and there you go giving Astana a 2015 licence, after 5, yes 5, positives in no time and a continuing relationship with Ferrari. Hang your head in shame and resign you tool. In less than a year you are headed the way of your predecessor - well done.

• Like 1

Well done Cookson you knob. For someone who got to be head of UCI on a holier than f******* thou stance and there you go giving Astana a 2015 licence, after 5, yes 5, positives in no time and a continuing relationship with Ferrari. Hang your head in shame and resign you tool. In less than a year you are headed the way of your predecessor - well done.

Astana would've taken it to CAS & won. Not Cookson's fault.

From a few whispers, it's not just Astana that should be worried. One of the biggest 'talents' in the sport could be in trouble.

(No names, in the spirit of the new Transitions)

Yeah, you it is easy to say "Throw the book at them" but you have to check the book first.

I think his tweet is spot on:

Brian Cookson OBE @BrianCooksonUCI

Thanks all for your messages. I understand yr concerns + share yr frustrations. But for long term good, we have to handle this correctly.

That relies on the Katusha CAS verdict and they are markedly different. Cookson has to take a stand, no one else can. Cookson's decision has resulted in a postion where a lot of the evidence doesn't even get tested and there appears to be plenty of it.

As it stands Astana have nothing to answer to, they got their licence, business as usual. You can't have that, perception is everything.

That relies on the Katusha CAS verdict and they are markedly different. Cookson has to take a stand, no one else can. Cookson's decision has resulted in a postion where a lot of the evidence doesn't even get tested and there appears to be plenty of it.

As it stands Astana have nothing to answer to, they got their licence, business as usual. You can't have that, perception is everything.

FWIW - I think Riis, Vino etc should be out of the sport forever.

• Like 1

2 thoughts on this: -

1) Hit the "reset" button on the whole lot. Dissolve all teams and start from scratch. No affiliations. No history. Sponsors would need to prove their commercial need to be in the sport etc;

or

2) Run what you brung - get all the riders to sign a disclaimer that, say, if they started growing third and fourth ears from the use of PEDs, they could use whatever they wanted.

I think, sadly, there is more probability of the second one happening, than the first!

Also think that anyone with the histories of these clowns (Vino, Riis, some of the great riders from Belgian etc) need to find another sport and be banned for life. Sadly, I don't think that will happen either,

Cam

Sky and Froome must be loving the drug spotlight being on another team for while.

Yeah baby :scared: where's Fat Pom, ready to spring to their defense

• Like 1

Cycling is a team sport. If one person cheats in most other team sports the whole team gets the penalty. The same should be for cycling.

If there was a chance of getting the team DQ'd then one might not feel the desire to cheat.

If there was a chance of getting the team DQ'd then one might not feel the desire to cheat.

Unless of course it was sanctioned by the team.

Lawyers at 10 paces takes infinity moths.

Related - Merida have departed membership of the MPCC.

If that has any relevance to anything other than being a thing you can use to say "We must be clean, we're in the MPCC"?

Considering the are the only team with a doping program Astana dominating last season with a 12th placed ranking was to be expected.

That's an odd article, it doesn't say why the team kept it's license after "raising red flags" in an audit, including team members associating with Michael Ferrari. Why the team or indeed the UCI would even want Astana to continue doesn't really make much sense. I guess the government of Kazakhstan is not that concerned about negative publicity...

it doesn't say why the team kept it's license

Reasoned decision to be published at a later date.

Those crazy mofos could not give a fark.

Elite cycling is aa big a joke as it was during the "EPO era".

Niseko, what prompted this?

did something else happen in the current "level playing field" of professional cycling.

that being said, I'm really enjoying watching the Giro every night... and Astana's Aru is good, but Contador seemed to have his measure in Stage 8, but I just noticed the Astana's Tirolongo has won Stage 9...

Astana v Tinkoff v Sky oh yeah.

btw, I consider cycling to be as clean/dirty as almost every other professional sport in the world, be it any of the footballs, basketball, weightlifting, rowing etc etc

Edited by AVAGO

The difference is now it's likely become just as endemic in other sports too, and fairly open.

The difference is now it's likely become just as endemic in other sports too, and fairly open.

And their governing bodies are mirroring the attitude of cycling in the 90's.

• Like 1

Niseko, what prompted this?

Did you watch the Giro last night? I didn't 'cause I've given up on the sport. But from what I can see Astana's second string crew bossed the whole day.

Did you watch the Giro last night? I didn't 'cause I've given up on the sport. But from what I can see Astana's second string crew bossed the whole day.

umm.... so you didn't watch it but Astana bossed the whole day?

Astana had a guy in the break (Tiralongo) so they didn't have to do anything.

Saxo had to set the pace.

With about 80km to go Cataldo (Astana) attacked the bunch forcing Saxo to chase even more so. Tiralongo had an easy ride in the break and just had to sit in.

There was no "bossing" the bunch and they are hardly a second string squad either.

btw, I consider cycling to be as clean/dirty as almost every other professional sport in the world, be it any of the footballs, basketball, weightlifting, rowing etc etc

Cycling is almost certainly cleaner than most sports - they at the least have done more than lip service and the blood passport certainly eliminates the worst doping. Micro dosing is of course endemic in cycling now but it's still a far cry from soccer players dropping dead of heart attacks or tennis players looking more like bodybuilders. Or swimming which has always been a much bigger juicing hotbed than cycling. Or sprinting. Or..... they list goes on. Cycling gets a lot of attention for doping but the truth is that most other sports have worse histories.

I am with Niseko on this one. When I watched the Giro highlights and saw the Astana riders dominate the lead bunch, I just thought of Tyler Hamilton's book. Not Normal.

Cat Terrist your statement is not correct. Cycling is not cleaner than most sports. It has proven to be the sport where doping is rampant. Given it is a low skilled endurance sport with large team budgets it is very open to abuse that leads to doping.

Whilst watching the Giro I have heard a number of times the commentators saying things like 'Rider X has just returned from having some issues with the doping authorities'.

According to Wiki the number of PED offenses per sport are as follows :-.

(I had to cut/past & collate the entire listings so may not be exact numbers, but a good enough sample.)

811 - Athletics (track & field as a whole)

256 - Unlisted Event type

116 - Sprinting

57 - Middle Distance

57 - Long Distance

44 - Shotput

34 - Discus

357 - Weight Lifting

267 - Swimming

166 - Cycling

89 - Soccer

77 - Water Polo

31 - Tennis

This doesn't represent any percentage of number of competitors nor the number of tests made per sport.

Below are the Testing and result reports from 2013 as published by WADA

which gives a good listing of testing numbers and results

2013 Anti-Doping Testing Figures - ABP Blood Analysis Report

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/WADA-2013-Anti-Doping-Testing-Figures-ABP-REPORT-BLOOD-ANALYSIS.pdf

2013 Anti-Doping Testing Figures - Laboratory Report

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/WADA-2013-Anti-Doping-Testing-Figures-LABORATORY-REPORT.pdf

And Lance never tested positive.

So if we add in his 500+ tests that he said he took and was negative in each one then .......

Let alone all the others who followed his example including Vinokourov (a convicted blood doper) who just happens to be GM for Astana.

I read on Cycling Tips last night that Aru is suing Henderson over a tweet about his biometric passport.