AA7

Jackie Fairweather (Gallagher) passes away

Not sure of any details but I've just heard that Jackie has passed away. RIP.

Not sure of any details but I've just heard that Jackie has passed away. RIP.

Shit that's not good news

I get the impression it may have been suicide ?

So sad for her family

Ivp

Rest in peace.

Brilliant all round athlete.

Hopefully family don't find out firstly from this site.

Might want to delete this thread.

Surely they would know before transitions does??

Ivp

I already worded Roxii up about this but if It is on facebook I am sure it is ok on here.

I am in total shock, have known here for many years and was chatting to her a week ago online.

A friend of my wife works with her and believes she never came to grips with her retirement and the success of others.

No one I know saw this coming, and yes I believe it was not suspicious.

Terribly terribly sad

I enjoyed watching her race when I was in high school and then transition to marathon running and ultras after that

Her 3rd place in the 2002 Commonwealth Games marathon was so exciting to watch

She was on IM Talk Legends of Triathlon show about a year ago. Worth a listen if you haven't already. Sounded like a smart, determined woman.

http://twitter.com/emmaECarney/status/529191008739659776/photo/1

Edited by Aidan
  • Like 1

Really sad to hear.

I was very fortunate to have Jackie work closely with me while I was writing my book. She meticulously reviewed and provided feedback on every chapter of my book. She also provided a forward and was guest presenter at the book launch. I cannot thank her enough for her contribution to my book and what she has done across the triathlon community.

I have just posted a tribute to Jackie and her career on my facebook page www.facebook.com/hta30

RIP

Edited by jehunt
  • Like 1

I get the impression it may have been suicide ?

This is crazy....will never understand this type of ending especially of successful people like her.

This is crazy....will never understand this type of ending especially of successful people like her.

That is sometimes my first thought too. But to think that people that see that as the only option, must be in such a horrible, dark place is very sad. Those of us that can't understand are lucky and we should be careful about judging others.

• Like 4

Only relying on the anecdotes of the above, it is incredibly sad - for those close to her, friends family but also Jackie herself who must have experience intolerable turmoil it seems.

I can't offer much, however as one of many in the triathlon community to those closely affected I will/have shed a tear, grieve the loss of a life cut short unfulfilled despite successes in an earlier stage.

:(

I remember how nice she was to a friend of mine who was heavily pregnant. Jackie had not long crossed the line and noticed her spectating in the sun with no shade. She grabbed a bottle of water and ran over with it.

This thread is sad to read.

• Like 3

Am extremely sad to hear of this as I remember Jackie as one of the most fierce, yet most respected and true competitors of Australian triathlon. I remember how she could always "turn the wick up" at the last minute.

We have lost one of our best here.

RIP

A fearsome and tenacious athlete but a wonderfully warm person happy to give of her time and expertise.

Sad, sad news this morning. Our love and best wishes to those she has left behind.

R.I.P.

Today's paper

Australian sporting community is in mourning after death of legendary triathlete Jackie Fairweather

SELINA STEELE AND NEALE GRUNDY

GOLD COAST BULLETIN

NOVEMBER 04, 2014 12:00AM

Australias elite sporting community is in mourning after Jackie Fairweather (nee Gallagh

Australias elite sporting community is in mourning after Jackie Fairweather (nee Gallagher) took her own life yesterday. picGeoff McLachlan.

THE Australian sporting community has been rocked with news that triathlon trailblazer Jackie Fairweather, nee Gallagher, has taken her own life.

The 46-year-old, who helped kickstart Australias dominance in the sport, spent eight years as a professional and at her peak was crowned world triathlon champion in 1996. She was also a three-time runner-up.

Jackie Fairweather (nee Gallagher) after winning the 2005 Gold Coast Marathon pictured wi

Jackie Fairweather (nee Gallagher) after winning the 2005 Gold Coast Marathon pictured with her husband Simon. picGeoff McLachlan.

From 1992-2000, eight of the nine womens ITU world champions were Australian and ultra-competitive Fairweathers rivalries with countrywomen Emma Carney and Michellie Jones were the stuff of legend.

Fairweather also won the World Duathlon Championships in 1996 to become the only person to win both world titles in the same year. She added a second duathlon world title in 1999.

After missing out on selection for the Sydney Olympics, Fairweather turned her attention to marathon running.

She claimed the bronze medal at the 2002 Commonweath Games in Manchester and in 2005, the Gold Coast marathon.

Her loss will be felt heavily by her family, friends, and many of the Gold Coast elite kayaking and swimming athletes who knew Fairweather from her role as high performance liaison officer for the Australian Institute of Sport.

Jackie Fairweather after competing at the M7 Marathon.

Jackie Fairweather after competing at the M7 Marathon.

Athletes she was responsible for were told of her death yesterday.

The swimming community is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of the late Jackie Fairweather, need Gallagher, Swimming Australia said last night.

It is a tragic loss for the sporting and wider Australian community and our thoughts are with her family and those close to her at this time.

Most recently, Fairweather was on the Gold Coast for the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships held at Southport Aquatic Centre.

It was at the AIS where Fairweather met 2000 Olympic gold medal archer Simon Fairweather, whom she married in 2004.

Jackie Fairweather, who has a Master of Science degree in Exercise Physiology, was also triathlons inaugural coach at the AIS from 2001 to 2005.

Fairweather, Loretta Harrop and Carney were inducted into Triathlon Australias Hall of Fame in 2012, joining Jones, Greg Welch and Miles Stewart as all-time greats of the sport in Australia.

It is not yet known when the funeral will be held.

READERS SEEKING INFORMATION AND SUPPORT ABOUT SUICIDE PREVENTION CONTACT LIFELINE ON 13 11 14.

What a sad day.

Her family, her friends and her community will be mourning her passing with very heavy hearts.

Jackie Gallagher. RIP

I knew and ran with Jackie when she was a cross country runner, and was a good friend when she first dabbled in Triathlon. It was truly sad to here this yesterday. She'll be missed by a lot of people.

I don't post often, but I am so sad to hear of Jackie Gallagher's passing.

In the mid 90's I was a fat couch potato .No swimming, biking or running experience.

My husband and I were living in Perth at the time and wandered down to watch the ITU World Championships being held on the foreshore, It must have been in about 1998. The drama and excitement of that day with Emma Carney and Jackie Gallagher going head to head, inspired us to take up the sport and I continue to this day. It was a pivotal day.

I went to the TA dinner a couple of years ago in Sydney in order to see these lovely ladies being inducted into the Hall of Fame. It was a treat.

So thank you Jackie.

• Like 3

Dam shame the whole thing. Maybe she had a mental illness. Wish i knew why this would happen. I guess only someone who has been to a really dark place may know and understand. I hope never to get to that feeling ever in my life, but i guess it could happen to any of us.

Nice post roxii, I'd forgotten that she contributed to that thread on TriGold. Thanks for the reminder.

I have put a post up on the website containing Jackies contribution to the TriGold thread a few years back, nice to read and remember.

http://www.transitions.org.au/showarticle.php?cid=96&p=10

That's what I was talking about. I'm also pretty sure she contributed to a thread discussion on the 'pure' running skills of professional triathletes ...

I remember racing a few duathlons and triathlons which she was also racing in the early 90's and from my very brief encounters with her, she came across as a very decent person. Sad day for us all when one of is chooses to take their own life. I wonder if she had a mental health history or any previous suicide or self harm attempts.

I remember racing a few duathlons and triathlons which she was also racing in the early 90's and from my very brief encounters with her, she came across as a very decent person. Sad day for us all when one of is chooses to take their own life. I wonder if she had a mental health history or any previous suicide or self harm attempts.

I have been reading that she has been battling depression for many years.

Back in the day, I remember Jackie and Emma Carney were the best triathletes, pretty much anywhere. Always tough to separate, but Jackie was the one who never pulled out. I always respected that…and she became my favourite female triathlete.

I receive this email today from a one-time rival of Jackie's, and I want to share it to remind everybody of her generosity of spirit:

….she was the first person to go in to bat for any triathletes who were hard done by - I won the Nepean Triathlon one year and there was $1000 prize money that the organisers were not going to pay out and she kicked up such a fuss on my behalf that they ended up paying - I think there are heaps of stories like that about Jackie.

I'm not handling the intro very well. One didn't know who she was, one has an accent I'm not sure I can listen to for more than 2 minutes. I'll persevere.

a good interview with her here from last year....

http://www.legendsoftriathlon.com/home/2013/7/29/the-thanyapura-legends-of-triathlon-episode-21-jackie-fairwe.html

Roxxi, can be removed if not appropriate ??

It's very appropriate. It's just that the intro is grating rather than upsetting, but the content is truly worth listening to. Probably one of the best ways to pay respect to a great athlete.

Tragic.

A wonderful athlete for so many years, across such a variety of disciplines.

My thoughts go out to Jackie's family and friends at such a difficult time.

From: Triathlon Aus. JACKIE FAIRWEATHER SERVICE AND TRIBUTE RUN

A service to celebrate the life of Jackie Fairweather will be held on Thursday 13 November commencing at 11:30am. The service will be at the AIS Arena (Leverrier Crescent, Bruce, ACT - entry via the AIS Visitor’s Centre) and anyone who wishes to pay their respects is welcome to attend.

There will also be a wake for family and friends immediately following the service which will be held in the Marathon Room.

In lieu of flowers, a donation may be made to: Ward 2N Calvary Hospital, Haydon Drive, Bruce ACT. Donation envelopes will be available at the service.

Later on in the day, at 6.30pm, a Tribute Run will be held at one of Jackie’s favourite running spots at Lake Ginninderra. We welcome members of our broad triathlon community to celebrate Jackie’s life in the way she would want us to.

Flyer is here: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/8726e39abf9efef079584f099/files/Jackie_Fairweather_Tribute_Run.pdf

I also received a touching email from Jackies brother Matthew who is a Trannys member, thanking us all for the respectful way in which the tragic event was handled and for all the kind words and memories. Parts of Jackies "Tri-Gold" post that she posted here and that I placed on the website will be used in the eulogy to express in her words her love of sport and triathlon.

So from me as well, Thanks.

• Like 3

Hi all

I'm Matthew, Jackie's brother.

I just wanted to reiterate Roxii's post (also thanks Roxii for your email to me and comments) about how appreciative the family is of the way triathlon community has responded and rallied behind us during this time. I am a lurker on Tranny's and have read the posts with kind words for Jackie.

Jackie's passing was unfortunate and a loss of a great person too early, however as is possible with anyone she had problems with mental illness. She was trying to live with this illness and sought help over the last few years, but it was not enough.

As such we have request donations to Ward 2N Cavalry Hospital as the staff there were a great help to her.

If you do feel you are struggling with depression or a mental illness please make the effort to reach out to someone to seek help - I think the Mental Illness thread on here is a great thread. Strength to you all.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank the support of the AIS and TA (yes they have been helpful!) has given Simon (Jackie's husband) and the family.

Cheers

Matthew

• Like 9

BTW if you are in Canberra on Thursday please feel free to attend the memorial service and / or the run in the evening. I hope I'm not too drunk by then!

I'll be running in a red IM Busso hat, so come up and say hi!

• Like 1

Hi Matthew

Unfortunately neither (my sister) Caroline or I can get to Canberra but our thoughts are with you all.

(She in Wonthaggi & I in Hervey Bay)

as a follow on to the Memorial service earlier in the day.

this was from a a TA email sent a day or so ago

Later on in the day, at 6.30pm, a Tribute Run, led by her husband Simon will be held at one of Jackie’s favourite running spots at Lake Ginninderra. Details are in the attached flyer. We welcome members of our broad triathlon community to celebrate Jackie’s life in the way she would want us to.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/8726e39abf9efef079584f099/files/Jackie_Fairweather_Tribute_Run.pdf

6:30 pm Thursday 13th November

John Knight Memorial Park

Townsend Place, off Aikman Drive

Belconnen