Sign in to follow this  
roxii

Ironman should pay for "Volunteers"

An opinion piece on Ironman Chattanooga.

But is it really volunteerism?

Or free labor disguised as volunteerism?

Because Ironman isn't some compassionate, shoestring nonprofit organization.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/oct/28/ironman-should-pay-its-volunteers/?opinioncolumns

Its a fair point when a private organisation is making money and using "volunteers" who likely are driven by their desire to help the sport and in most cases their community

But when WTC roll into town are they putting that much into the community - maybe - they prob get stung with all sorts of fees that tie back to the community

I think this is why they have to work hard as many locals don't see the benefit of their town being over-run, roads closed, business not accessible easily etc - and depending on your business you might not get much trade if it does not involve a chia seed leading into the race or a greasy burger after......

There will likely be a point where the community feel they have put in enough for the profit machine and either they move on or have to provide some incentive - I think they get meals and shirts now?

I would have thought to inject money back into the community they could provide them all with dinner vouchers, movies tickets etc - both would be a nice payment for the weekend and if purchased put a lot back into the community who otherwise might not see it

There are lots of kind hearted thankless folks in small towns who do this because they give a $hit about their town - its a shame WTC don't manage it better - payment is not everything to these people - my parents live in a small town and would prefer them to think out of the box for their community to make it a better place

• Like 1

My Dad (who is 87) lives at Lake Cathie and always volunteers for Port IM and 70.3. He does it through the Lake Cathie Bowls club and WTC make a donation to the club. Dad said that last week the volunteers got together at the club after Port 70.3 to decide what to do with the money. Instead of just putting it into the general revenue for the club they were going to buy something for the actual volunteers this year. I think he mentioned that there were about 30 volunteers organised by the club.

Nice - some of the small towns actually like having people around and seeing things happen in what is an otherwise small place - I think each place should get some incentive to use how they see fit - I hoped they did stuff like that and is very nice to actually see them do it with a nice outcome

My dad would prob want to buy something like new mats for the club ha ha

It's common practice to offer financial incentives to clubs and community groups to provide volunteers. We do it for the Hundy but we are obviously a community group ourselves. We have a commitment to share the benefits of out race with as many stakeholders as we can.

Most of our vollies end up being family and friends of competitors, or club members.

If organisations had to start paying volunteers market rates, what do you think entry fees would be then? Some of these talking heads should be careful what they wish for.

• Like 3

You have to see it from different lenses - as a community group where does the money and profit go - and how transparent is that......

In todays day and age it sucks as its a gimme gimme attitude - if you are standing outside all day for the love of your community and get a shirt and free sausage but the owner of the race rolls in driving BMW and they have a paid admin person, paid assistant, paid this and that you might question why?

A community group is far form WTC - and I would like to think they don't have to pay everyone but think outside the box with what they have

Your volunteers will only stay around for years to come if there is some incentive and for some community spirit might be enough but combine that with a free dinner or movie ticket so its win/win

I think HBT must be like Bribie - I know those guys run it out of their shop on a shoestring - they seem to do it for the love of the sport more than the money....I even ask myself sometimes - why bother - then people bag their running of the event etc

I do know that at Challenge Cairns the volunteers were paid through their community groups. The rate was more per person-hour than the standard Technical Official rate.

It depends entirely on the amount of swag provided and how they treat you.

First time volunteering at IMM, technical tshirts (plus spares), great visors, IMM branded stuff and lots of thank you's. People given the jobs they had asked for. Paid staff doing the behind the scenes shitty jobs like sorting through the stinking used gear bags.

Last year: crappy, awful cotton tshirt (cheap and nasty). Not enough hats. No thank you's, mostly screaming from USM types to go to different jobs away from the action and trying to stop people leaving when their shift ended. Supervised by dreadful "event management types" rather than genuine enthusiasts.

Very different vibe.

Could there be different liability and insurance issues?

I think the community atmosphere around race volunteering surpasses what might come form paying people. Think of the families and kids that help out, and people cut them some slack when they drop a cookie or something. What if they were paid?

If they began paying folks, it would put up race entry fees. plus, it would also mean strict selection criteria around who could work on any aid station of in any capacity. Would there be screening? experience checks? It would probably eliminate the ability for racing spouses and kids to help.

The guy did admit that the race brings millions of dollars to the community - food, accomodation, fuel etc.

Could there be different liability and insurance issues?

No, legislation introduced in most states over the last couple of years means that an organisation has the same obligations to it's volunteer workforce as it's permanent employees. This includes stuff like WHS, SunSmart etc.

I am not sure where the implementation is at but I know it was in place in NSW in 2013 and would be in place in most if not all by 2015.

I think there are two types of volunteers

1. those who are doing it through there school, club etc and the club recieves a contribution from the race organiser, as well as the volunteer getting t-shirt etc. This is the person doing something for there club/school to raise money

2 individual who volunteers directly to the race organiser. This person gets the t-shirt but is unpaid

I have been involved in type 1 volunteering and know the school got money that was spent on sports gear. The funraiser was no different from a sausage sizzle, it took time and the school got the reward.

Type 2 volunteering for a corporate is a little different in my mind

My Dad (who is 87) lives at Lake Cathie and always volunteers for Port IM and 70.3. He does it through the Lake Cathie Bowls club and WTC make a donation to the club. Dad said that last week the volunteers got together at the club after Port 70.3 to decide what to do with the money. Instead of just putting it into the general revenue for the club they were going to buy something for the actual volunteers this year. I think he mentioned that there were about 30 volunteers organised by the club.

How much did WTC donate for that?

For Husky100 MTB I know there are two types - those who volunteer direct and get tshirt, food, lunch voucher, whatever is in the competitor swag, along with a voucher of x amount (usually equivalent of most of a race entry) - there are those who have been back year after year and the other half uses the voucher for their race

There's also those who volunteer through a group - they get all the same, minus the voucher, instead the group get a donation (VRA, Scouts, Rotary, Lions, St John Ambulance etc).

For IM Port there are both types, often get a tshirt and hat, if volunteer group a donation, also get a pizza night at the local club (or used to be - not sure if they still do). Also IM get a lot of in kind assistance from council (several senior council figures are on the organising committee or high up in the volunteer groups) and time spent on event.