Sign in to follow this  
roxii

Fat Bikes, cheap options, sizing

Looks like the Mrs is keen to get me a FatBike (damn shame :lol:) but I know next to nothing about them.

My old MTB is over 12 years old and nearly dead so its good timing. It will mainly be used for beach riding as a safe option for holiday training (seven mile beach) and general tooling around. So after a cheap serviceable option.

What size would I be in a Fat bike? I ride a 56cm roadie and a 54cm TT bike but not sure on MTB sizing.

Mate I know more about fat bikes than i realy should

Some info here http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=65704&hl=fatty#entry1075669

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=65172&hl=fatty

What sort of budget are you looking at,

I would suggest either going realy low budget or jumping up abit

Trek Are bring in a small amount of the Farley if you could get one of them , you won't be disappointed

The spez fatboy is a really good option also (if you can get one) and when you get hooked (I garrentee you will ) there are plenty of options to upgrade it . EG carbon rims set up tubeless Are the best upgrade you can do to a fatty

These are both about $3k and weigh about 14/15kg

If you're willing to doing a bit of mucking around on the WWW you could build a carbon one with carbon rims And a X 10/11 speed for about 4k but would wiegh around 10kg

You would be a 17.5 but probably more likely a 19 in a MTB/fat bike

How tall are you ????

If you just want a muck around bike just by a cheApy off eBay

Seriously, fatbikes are amazing fun , you just smile all the time , and if you get your hands on a top end bike they are pretty wicked bikes to ride

Just ask away, I can't shut up about our fatty

Cheers

Ivp

Edit to add this link https://www.facebook.com/groups/252879411466001/

Warning don't open it unless you want to be hooked on fatbikes

Lots of really helpfull info and people on the site

Edited by ironpo

Im 177 cm in high heels.

I hadn't done much homework to be honest, but since the Mrs has dropped this on me I don't want to stuff around, need to strike while the iron is hot, something like this looked OK

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2015-WHEELER-TAURUS-Snow-Beach-Sand-Fat-XTR-Mountain-Bike-19-/161458935302?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item2597b3d606

That looks fine, lots of shimano bits that you could swap out if needed

I think wheeler may do a carbon one for around $1400

Might be worth asking

Just get your size right

I'm 168 and fit onto a 17.5 mrs IP rides the same sizes as you and I got her on a 17.5 also

But I would think a 19 would be ok for you , but try and check your right size

Welcome to the real world of riding

Happy days

Ivp

Edit to add

It's says the 17 is 16kgs , so you won't need to go to the gym!!!

I'm sure I seen a few cheapys at 1400 like the carbon one I mentioned that are 14kgs

Might be worth looking a little more

Edited by ironpo

OK, these bikes look kinda funky cool. I've been thinking of getting a cheap mountain bike for a couple of years now to replace my $50 subway promotion special. Would have jut laybyed one at my lbs. Apart from like snow and beach etc, are these good for just everyday riding around? What about off road tri stuff? I'd have been spending less than 1k on a bike anyway so it's not like I would be getting anything special. But these look cool.

OK, these bikes look kinda funky cool. I've been thinking of getting a cheap mountain bike for a couple of years now to replace my $50 subway promotion special. Would have jut laybyed one at my lbs. Apart from like snow and beach etc, are these good for just everyday riding around? What about off road tri stuff? I'd have been spending less than 1k on a bike anyway so it's not like I would be getting anything special. But these look cool.

These bikes are perfect for almost everything

Espually for being COOL

Great for off road but you wouldn't want to be doing to many uphills on a heavy $1k special

though

I'll be doing

My A race for the year in a few weeks in my fatty and

I don't expect to be going any slower than last year (which I did on my $9k hard tail )

Happy days

Ivp

I'll be doing

My A race for the year in a few weeks in my fatty and

I don't expect to be going any slower than last year (which I did on my $9k hard tail )

Happy days

Ivp

Your going to be doing TripleTri on the Fatty?? Awesome. I must come and have a look before the race starts :)

Roxii did you end up getting one of these? If so what did you get? I am looking for something to ride to work on but wouldn't mind being able to use it in the bush a bit as well if I got interested in that.

Hey mate, the Mrs (bless her) grabbed me a Fluid cheapie from Anaconda have only had a few rides on it.

They are a bit of fun, they actually seem faster on loose and soft stuff than on hard ground. If you want something for commuting and some light off road stuff like fire trails etc, Id go a CX bike. They can still go quick on the road and paths, and on decent trails can also get along. You just need to know the limitations of a CX bike i.e its not a 29er or dually :lol:

Im sure they make quick Fat bikes but I reckon commuting on one would do my head in.

Cool thanks for the info. They just look cool, love the look of IP's bike but unfortunately budget at the moment is a bit tight.

Think amart allsports had one for about $400. Looked at the anaconda one too, since it's next to amart up here.

Some cheap ones here RBR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121457010945

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361040699664

I believe there are some for $500 on anaconda also

If you ant something that's abit of fun then these will do the job

As long as your commute is flat and not too far then pump up the tyres and go

Cheers

Ivp

Commute is only 10k and has one small hill in it that's probably 400m long. They look like fun and cause I'm commuting into Southport on the GC, I want something I can easily mount and dismount a gutter on as the roads aren't real friendly for cyclists around the main commuting times. Ill look into those ones thanks.

Edited by RunBrettRun

Commute is only 10k and has one small hill in it that's probably 400m long. They look like fun and cause I'm commuting into Southport on the GC, I want something I can easily mount and dismount a gutter on as the roads aren't real friendly for cyclists around the main commuting times. Ill look into those ones thanks.

Perfect then

Just remember like most things with fatbikes you get what you pay for , so don't expect too much for $500

If you can afford a bit more then there are plenty of other options around $2k

Cheers

Ivp

Yeah that's what I am concerned with, I'm thinking it might be better to wait 6 months till I know I'll be in a better position to buy a decent bike because I know I won't be happy with the $500 model....

• Like 1

Just remember like most things with fatbikes you get what you pay for , so don't expect too much for $500

But if you were only planning on spending say 7 or 800 on a say a Trek mountain bike (not even necessarily getting hydraulic brakes) then would you be getting less bike in a fat bike of the same price? Or, is there really even less bike available if I really only looking at spending this much? ;)

I've been meaning to replace my bike for like 2 years now, and would probably be doing a layby at my lbs to get one, who is a trek shop. You mentioned a trek one earlier in the thread, but I don't see it on the trek aus website. Or am I just blind?

I'm not easily embarrassed (heck, my bikes are all old) but while I don't ride it that much, my mtb is just cringe worthy.

Also, transporting them. My bike carrier is a rhino one like the thule tow bar platform ones, where the wheels are strapped in and the frame is supported by an arm. Might have to make up some velcro straps if the current ones aren't long enough for these sort of wheels.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if I did attempt the odd off road tri on it. Maybe even a mtb event. But I certainly wouldn't be expecting to do any good. Would only be for fun.

Edited by goughy

gougy trek make one but don't bring it into OZ for some reason

I reckon you get pretty much the same or maybe a little more on a $800 fatbike compared to a lot of $800 MTB

just have a good look around and compare

cheers

ivp

He's finding out, plus any other options he can find. He didn't talk dollars with me, apart from me giving him my 'budget'. The link there has about $1200 on that one I think. Don't know what they can do yet. But I'm serious now about a bike at least, even if I couldn't find something suitable and just went a standard mtb. But really, they look so cool!

He told me there's not a track in our area you couldn't do on a fatbike. And as I told him, if I decided to give an enduro or off road tri a go it's purely as a participant so really I could just ride any old thing.

Edited by goughy