roxii

Nath's race report from IM Malaysia

Great race report.

Do you think you will race Langkawi again?

Never....

Going into this race my wife had given me the ultimatum that it was my last IM, but she is keen on Hawaii so I have a reprieve to do one more! It's pretty tough with young kids so I might be able do others later in life, but after kona there won't be any for a while.

Edited by Nath.

That's a solid ride on that course mate, kudos.

It was a brutal day, especially the run. Looking at my garmin profile I spent 40odd mins hanging out in aid stations too.

They've moved the race to mid November next year to combat the humidity so that could sway some peoples decisions about going back. It will still be hot, but not ridiculous like that first couple of laps off the bike was.

Edited by caesar

Great read

Well done Nath

I also saw with interest the move to November next year. Any locals/regular visitors with any info on the weather then?

I had a chat to a local mtn biker/bike shop owner & he said this years timing was off because being wet season the humidity was always going to be a massive issue. Rumours had already started about the change of date the day after & he said a couple of months either side of Christmas would be ideal due to the drier heat, which while still hot temperature wise wouldn't be as stifling.

Yep, there were plenty of monkeys out there but they just sit on the side of the road and watch you go past.

I would definitely recommend the race and location for a destination race, my whole family had a wonderful time there? The race was tough and but these are the ones which you look back on more fondly after the memories of the hard times fade.

Nice report and congrats on the race and slot.

200W for 34.2 kmh seems fairly slippery to me, or maybe I am just a brick (for me 200w is about 32kmh?). Have you done any work to optimise your position in regards to aero?

Well done Nath! Really stoked that you got your spot and seems like it was quite an experience for you. I've got it on my 'maybe' list for next year so I might have to pick your brain a little if I sign up!

Is the course possible to compared to any Aussie courses at all? Smooth roads or Port-like etc?

Have you done any work to optimise your position in regards to aero?

I've had a retul bike fit and I would recommend that anyone doing HIM or IM's must get one, this really helps get the optimal position and a position which is comfortable for you to maintain.

For aero, I do spend a lot of time reading about and looking at what the pros are doing to get aero. I don't keep much crap on my bike and keep it as clean as possible.

Well done Nath! Really stoked that you got your spot and seems like it was quite an experience for you. I've got it on my 'maybe' list for next year so I might have to pick your brain a little if I sign up!

Is the course possible to compared to any Aussie courses at all? Smooth roads or Port-like etc?

Happy to help where I can and give you any tips or advice.

I'm actually looking to do the Tri aus coaching courses so I can get into helping people out with some coaching. At the moment, I informally coach a few guys who are similar to me who have family/job/life commitments and just need some help in structuring their training. I think there are a lot of people out there who don't want to be serious insects but want to get through races comfortably and enjoy it, and are just looking for some guidance on what they need to do without having to train >20hrs a week and spend loads of money.

So if you have any questions I'm happy to help.

Swim, no. Non wetsuit out & back, easy sighting because it's a dead straight line with buoys every 10m, the rolling start means you'll get your own space but likely won't get dragged along in a pack.

Bike; Port with more elevation but better road surface & less exposed to the wind.

Run; similar to the newest version of Cairns.

Yep, there were plenty of monkeys out there but they just sit on the side of the road and watch you go past.

I would definitely recommend the race and location for a destination race, my whole family had a wonderful time there? The race was tough and but these are the ones which you look back on more fondly after the memories of the hard times fade.

What hotel did you stay in? We had a totally different experience, we stayed at the hotel next to transition and they hated it. I liked the area on the other side of the island near the airport and we should have stayed there. With little ones it was impossible to walk around due to the heat & humidity so we spent a fortune on cabs. We were also disappointed with the lack of good places to eat. There was very little for the family to do.

My family waited over 4 hours at the finish line and there was no where to buy drinks etc... Then we had a 2km walk back to our hotel (couldn't get a cab because the roads were still closed)

The things this race did well they did very well & the things they did wrong was very wrong.

The Western looked amazing & we should have stayed there but from memory it was $400ish a night.

What hotel did you stay in? We had a totally different experience, we stayed at the hotel next to transition and they hated it. I liked the area on the other side of the island near the airport and we should have stayed there. With little ones it was impossible to walk around due to the heat & humidity so we spent a fortune on cabs. We were also disappointed with the lack of good places to eat. There was very little for the family to do.

My family waited over 4 hours at the finish line and there was no where to buy drinks etc... Then we had a 2km walk back to our hotel (couldn't get a cab because the roads were still closed)

The things this race did well they did very well & the things they did wrong was very wrong.

The Western looked amazing & we should have stayed there but from memory it was $400ish a night.

B@W

Nath's family, my race buddy and I, stayed at CHOGM Villas, a bit less than 15mins walk away from T1, towards the inland. But not easy to just hail a cab. I think Nath had a hire car. My mate and I just walked to most places and caught a cab home. The expat that runs the rentals there was a wealth of local knowledge and tips. Sounds like you needed that local knowledge. Rattie didn't speak glowingly of your hotel either. It must have looked good on paper being right next to T1.

The ferry terminal with hawker style restaurants was near the finish line. They looked open when we returned to the finish line after our race. Time spent on pre race recce is rarely wasted.

I should extract the digit and get my race report finished.

200W for 34.2 kmh seems fairly slippery to me, or maybe I am just a brick (for me 200w is about 32kmh?). Have you done any work to optimise your position in regards to aero?

I think he means: Your power numbers are so cute.....

Just joking mate -well done on the race and slot - I think your PM might be reading low - don't buy that 200W could get a 5.12 on that course unless you were doing it behind a truck.

Yeah Ratty didn't like it either.

My wife said they were all shut when they went looking, when I crossed the line she managed to get into the recovery area & grabbed a couple of drinks for the kids. Maybe i should have finished sooner LOL

I did a $15 AUS a day deal with a local for his car when I arrived, he was pumped with the cash & I got to thrash his car for a week, win win. To fill the tank only cost $10 too so I ran the air con flat out like the engine. Agreed Kuah itself wasn't the nicest place I've ever been but with the freedom of a car it really opened up the best the island had to offer.

We were at Dayang Bay Resort a couple of k from transition. It had a ripping pool & when word got out a fair few were dropping in to do some laps pre race. Rooms were clean & spacious with balconies which is rare over there, but the wireless was sketchy which some couldn't handle. Personally I wasn't there to look at the internet so didn't care. The pro's that weren't put up at the Westin were staying there too if your into that. I ran the gauntlet eating at random restaurants on the side of the road each night & didn't have an issue, usually stuck with fried seafood because you know it's fresh & odd's on the deep frier will kill the rest.

When I go back for the Xterra race in April I'll stay there again, only thing I'll do different is find a local with a rear wheel drive car so I can really have some fun up the road to Gunang Raya peak.

I think he means: Your power numbers are so cute.....

Just joking mate -well done on the race and slot - I think your PM might be reading low - don't buy that 200W could get a 5.12 on that course unless you were doing it behind a truck.

i thought so too but when I had my bike fit, my PM had the same readings as the one on the trainer he used to display on the screen.

Edited by Nath.

November is going to be wet as with torrential rainfalls most likely during mid day. But will be relatively cooler. Humidity will be high.

Nath

Fantastic race report and awesome result.

You have inspired me to get fit and get back into form.

I've heard that before !!!!!

Cheers

Ivp

Nath

Fantastic race report and awesome result.

Come on ratty, knock out that last race or two the thou need and come to kona next year! My family are really looking forward to the trip already......pity dad has to go through an ironman training block though!