Oompa Loompa

Coffee machines v nespresso machines

Well, what's better. Nespresso seems ridiculously easy.

How fiddly is a coffee machine with ground beans.

Speed, nespresso,seems about a minute which is awesome when you have no time of a morning?

Pros, cons of both

I used to use the aldi machine - easy as. they started bringing out capsules with strength 7-8-10-12 which was rocket bloody fuel. Head used to start buzzing after 1 cup...

Real coffee machines better but little bit more effort. We've had a nespresso for 5ish years and liked it. The last few months we've been getting into our coffee a lot more using a plunger (hello yahava) So we went out and bought a mid level machine and grinder. So far we're Loving it

I have one of each on the kitchen bench.

Nespresso:

- Ease of use. Absolute no brainer and less than a minute for a coffee.

- Easy to have a variety of blends/strengths on hand.

Espresso machine (Sunbeam Cafe series teamed with a Cuisinart burr grinder):

- The coffee is just plain better than the Nespresso.

- Fair bit of time involved in grinding, tamping then wiping down afterwards.

- Has a steam nozzle to froth the milk.

So this morning with a bit of time on my hands I indulged in the better coffee from the Sunbeam. Last Tuesday with about 20 minutes between getting home from work and heading back out to swim squad Nespresso was the go to solution.

I also have on hand a Mokka (stove top espresso) pot, couple of plungers and filter funnels.

Finally!!

Something I can actually comment on with confidence (given I can't run out of sight on a dark night and kids with training wheels overtake me on the bike... :shy:)

Having tasted both, coffee machine all the way...

My wife and I put this bad boy on our wedding register in July...

http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/rocket-giotto-professional-plus#gsc.tab=0

Does take a little more time...2mins as opposed to 1....but is well worth it....

It stays on all day so is always ready to go...good beans and a burr grinder = :w00t2:

(May or may not be drinking way too much coffee...)

Nespresso is super simple and easy - means the kids will make it any time you like. I bought one for the missus after seeing it in action at Bored@Work's place and she absolutely loves it. I can't see any of us being keen enough to use a full on machine.

Caveat - I don't drink coffee.

I have a Sunbeam Caffe series machine with double pump so you can make the coffee and heat the milk at the same time. plus a burr grinder. It makes very good coffee.

Last week I bought an Airpress. The result is much more gentle than espresso, so it's quite good for that naughty second cup.

Nespresso may be convenient and make acceptable coffee but how much material does it use that ends up in landfill? Really quite unsustainable. Unless you are taking advantage of the pod recycling scheme, take a careful look at the long term sustainability. Plus it is costly.

The upside of grinding your own is that you have the best ever mulch for blueberry plants.

Ive got both. before I re built the house nespresso I thought was good. before that I thought instant was good.now we just put in the smeg built in and cant go back easy as self cleans ,descale every so often got good beans now im a coffee snob just need my lycra on ,shave my legs and walk around the front of house so I look like 99% of the other wankers who drink coffe in the cafés at the beach. ..

I used a nespresso machine for many year and recently replaced it with a fully automated delonghi.

I usually only drink espresso or macchiato, so the nespresso was great for the mornings prior to training.

The quality of the coffee is better with a proper machine/beans, but the nespresso wins for convenience.

If you weren't dropping the coin to get an automated machine, you'd probably be better of with a nespresso, having the extra grinder etc would be a pain in zee asssss.

Just to add when I make it I dress up like a coffee dude with full cardigan on beanie glasses with just normal glass in them a sleeve tatt three quarter pants and striped socks pulled up I look so cool....

• Like 1

Yes I have the stubble but in my defence its been there for years before it was fashion and is only there as im lazy and dont need to shave for work.i only shave to try and get a bit and thats only got 1 in 20 chance strike rate!I do all the tight things continually grab ass or brest in my walk past in kitchen,I throw the lazy arm most nights which ends up doing a full 180 and im back on my self....I sneak into the shower when she is in there ,and all I get is were not 20 any more f off!!And Shave so I shave and repeat ...geeze time to turn my machine on.

Had a nespresso, eventually broke down, replaced with a Philips Saeco. Got a reconditioned one from Grays so a lot cheaper. Easy as a nespresso to use but a little bit more maintenance every now and again with far better coffee.

I'm a tight-arse and get the shakes when I start thinking of spending money on a coffee machine (or anything for that matter).

I use the Nescafe solution most of the time - cheap, quick, low-maintenance - and does a passable imitation of coffee.

I use my Bialetti Moka when I have the time and energy for something that actually tastes like real coffee.

Aeropress is what we use at home. My younger brother who is a barista (can actually make a decent coffee as well) prefers the the aeropress over the coffee plunger however both still get used around our house. I go through phases where I like coffee and other times when I can't stand the taste or even smell but when I do I use the aeropress.

Shaves 6 secs off your 4 coffee making time. It's buying free speed.

• Like 2

I love coffee. Have had several proper grinders and espresso machine at home in past 16 years.

Love it, but .... so many variables eg beans state/age post roast, humidity, tamping etc etc

Paradox - the better the machine the worse you can make a coffee.

Bought a commercial Nespresso machine for work 6 years ago (Now on bigger version). Brilliant, clean not bad coffee fast ..

The last thing you want is a mess and staff stuffin' around. Caffeine 'em up and get em to work!

Did I mention clean and fast?

Edited by Mjainoz

Aeropress is way better than plunger coffee, but to my taste, it misses the extra zing you get from a good crema out of an espresso machine. I'm happy with either, but under no circumstances will I drink instant.

I hate coffee, and what's worse is at a coffee shop when I order a tea, I'll ask if they have just plain Liptons! Just a sickness, I know.

Another thumbs up for Aeropress, have two of them and take one away when travelling for work to countries where the coffee is suspect.

I just googled Aeropress.

What's it like to clean?

Please take into account I'm a lazy bugger

Piece of P*ss really. Unscrew the lid at the bottom where the filter paper is and tip in the bin. Give the rest of the plastic a rinse under hot water and let it sit on the drainer. Once you get the hang of it all, you can have a coffee in no time flat.

Also option to get a metal filter, so you don't have to carry around a bunch of paper filters. Totally agree with the above, very easy to clean, the grounds stay nice and compact. Can make four espressos in one go. Great for camping trips too.

Got an nespresso as a gift. Very fast way to make an espresso but the cost of the pods are killing me.

I also question the quality of the ground beans and ingredients inside the pods that create all the flavours. They must be using artificial flavours.

If I wanted to be sure of a great coffee, I would grind my own freshly roasted beans and buy the best expresso machine I could afford.

• Like 1

Got an nespresso as a gift. Very fast way to make an espresso but the cost of the pods are killing me.

I also question the quality of the ground beans and ingredients inside the pods that create all the flavours. They must be using artificial flavours.

If I wanted to be sure of a great coffee, I would grind my own freshly roasted beans and buy the best expresso machine I could afford.

Is the cost killing you vs buying from a shop? If so how?

Agree with other points.

I have heard good things re aeropress thingie. Might buy one for my next overseas holiday. Gotta be better than most of the crap you get overseas (excepting Italy and NZ).

I do triples.

So is that under $2? 3? Sorry not being rude I don't know the retail cost.

I don't know our wholesale cost anymore either. They were about 50 ct a pod last I looked. Few years back.

Fyi. The retail and bigger models use diff size pods.

analysis paralysis. Dunno. it's all in Bahraini Dinars so it won't be a help to you.

All I know is a couple of spoonfuls of Illy in a French press before training is cheaper than a couple of Nespresso pods.

We used to have a decent coffee machine at work that ground the beans and all that stuff each time you made a cup. It was good. I used it lots.

It has now been replaced with a Nespresso machine. I'm amazed at how happy everyone at work is about it....... it's horrible compared to our old machine. I've started bringing in my own jar of Moccona instant and having that instead.

I'm beginning to doubt that George Clooney's endorsement was entirely motivated by the quality of the product.

Bought a nespresso machine on grays online, it arrived yesterday. Its going good, saved me $9 today.

Get the kids into it - my young bloke makes coffee for the missus every day. Also plays waiter any time we have friends over. Put you feet up big fella and get the minions doing the grunt work.

I vote Nespresso

Use it daily at home and it is so easy.

Sure - not quite as good taste as a proper coffee machine (if you are able to make a good coffee yourself) - but the speed and ease of cleaning is awesome. Also takes up far less room that a proper coffee machine.

Cheap too - and I found that when I had a proper machine, I wasted some anyway - or threw away old beans, so the price difference of beans was offset a bit.

• Like 1

And if you really like your frothy milk, get the nespresso machine without the frother, then get a stand alone sunbeam milk frother that has a stainless bowl. With skim milk my wife can get her froth about 1.5 inches above the cup. Cleans a mile easier than the Teflon ones (can go in the dishwasher too) , and the kids make themselves hot chocolates all in the frother.

delonghi now make a very compact machine (just out) that will pump out a decent espresso and steam milk but it also can be loaded with a pod should you have less time. it has a reasonable boiler/pump pressure which means you get a better result that the regular nespresso pod machines- which I find a bit weak- dont really resemble a proper pumped shot

this is a good compromise if you dont want to invest in a whole ritual at home- its acceptable without being top class or taking up a heap of bench space. if you have one of these plus the milk frother it gives you options for when you have time or in a rush- hand load the machine and manually steam milk or use a pod+ frother

Are the pods recyclable?

I have only used one once at a hotel and it felt kind of wasteful, take 2-3 people in a house having 2 pods a day that is up to 42 pods in the bin a week. I would feel less bad if they could go in the recyclables...

The Nespresso ones can be recycled but you have to drop them off at a Nespresso shop.

Any updates on this one? Probably looking at a pod machine or very simple otherwise. Drinker is mostly a mocha type.

I remember when PeePee brought his Nespresso tp Port, that was great! I was looking in a local shop, they have a ton of these machine, various prices.

Are the pods interchangeable with different machines or do you have to buy the same make of pod for each machine? Krupps seem to be popular here.

In Aus there is (I think) four different types of pod. They are not interchangeable.

So you're locked in? It reminds of buying a cheap printer then finding out the ink cartridges costs so much. More research needed.

Any updates on this one? Probably looking at a pod machine or very simple otherwise. Drinker is mostly a mocha type.

The milk frothers with them aren't great though. Works well for a while, but after a while it got a burnt spot inside it. Nescafe replaced it, but the replacement did it too.

If you want the frothed milk, get the new press machine without the frother, then buy the sunbeam milk frother with the stainless jug. It works brilliantly and you can wash the jug in the dishwasher.