Peter

Hayne to NFL

Ambrose was actually pretty successful at NASCAR ... Not as successful as he was at v8 Supercars, but America is a much bigger pond ..

Agree. He has made so much more money and has a bigger world profile from Nascar.

He would not regret the move for one second.

Add ball carry to the list of things to change.

Watch his highlight reel, he runs naturally with the ball at the end of his arm, not tucked.

You can just imagine defenders eyes lighting up at the possibilities.

the only place Haynes is mentioned is on aussie media... its like someone rolling up at hollywood wanting to be an actor - perhaps he can get a gig there when this doesnt pan out (comparing himself to greats claiming he can emulate is pretty good acting)

btw riddos - LOL @ seattle! x2 mate :D:D:D

Not taking the piss here - but I think he'd struggle to stand out playing high school football. Some pretty talented athletes there.

the only place Haynes is mentioned is on aussie media... its like someone rolling up at hollywood wanting to be an actor - perhaps he can get a gig there when this doesnt pan out (comparing himself to greats claiming he can emulate is pretty good acting)

btw riddos - LOL @ seattle! x2 mate :D:D:D

Last 8 Super Bowl winners have failed to win a Play-off game the following season, Seattle on track to make that 9 currently. Must-win game at Carolina next weekend.

Not sure why some people bother getting out of bed in the morning each day. I mean it's been done before and there's so many people already good at doing it.

Not sure why some people bother getting out of bed in the morning each day. I mean it's been done before and there's so many people already good at doing it.

I agree.

I don't think I'll bother tomorrow.

Last 8 Super Bowl winners have failed to win a Play-off game the following season, Seattle on track to make that 9 currently. Must-win game at Carolina next weekend.

lol- this is the "booms" only swan-song.. what is it - your first and only SB?!?! good luck getting to the playoffs.. and yeah im Denver - so you can have your lordy laugh for last season.

It's an epic challenge for me right now I can assure you!

• Like 1

Meanwhile, after a shaky start, The Pack are travelling nicely, it will be interesting to see how deep we go.

Wasn't there an Aussie guy that went as a punt to NFL, Darren Williams? IIRC he got paid well for coming on about 6 times per match!

There's been a number of Aussie punters in the NFL over the years.

Personally I can't wait for the first footage of Haynes getting cut in half by a linesman or linebacker

arguably, the most successful was ben graham (AFL geelong player) punter, who got to play in a superbowl,, ** also played in an AFL grand final

Meanwhile, after a shaky start, The Pack are travelling nicely, it will be interesting to see how deep we go.

Packers, Hymie, did you say Packers. Yes, we should make the post season, basically have only the Lions to beat and should also rack up enough wins to garner home field through the post season. Weak schedule againb, though, counts against us when it comes to post season play,

In reference to all the Hayne comments above. There is not actuall full time full back position in the NFL these days. There could be a guy they employ first and goal from inside the 5 (James Starks/Packlers). And there could be designed plays with the full back as a blocker......a guy like Hayne, with his prior experience would take years to learn those blocking patterns and techniques.

Wayne Carey was supposedly getting looked at by the Cowboys a few years ago. And in reality, he paid a visit to the training facility, never even got on the practice field.

I'm not saying it wont ever happen, but imo it probably won't.

Special teams at a punt/kick return. Forget about whether he can compete with guys who can run 10.5 for 100M. Hayne's great skill is to be able to step of either foot whilst actually accelerating. That is a very rare skill across any code of footfall. If he can do that in broken play when returning a kick off or a 4th down punt, then their may well be some NFL teams worth investing in this project.

Wasn't there an Aussie guy that went as a punt to NFL, Darren Williams? IIRC he got paid well for coming on about 6 times per match!

Darren Bennet wasn't it?

Special teams at a punt/kick return. Forget about whether he can compete with guys who can run 10.5 for 100M. Hayne's great skill is to be able to step of either foot whilst actually accelerating. That is a very rare skill across any code of footfall. If he can do that in broken play when returning a kick off or a 4th down punt, then their may well be some NFL teams worth investing in this project.

Could be. I actually don't think so, but I wont say it couldn't happen.

The current NFL minimum salary eg for a roookie on the 40 man roster is $600K....near the top of what our footy flayers make in their prime...Buudy, Ablett, Judd and a few others being exeptions..

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Could be. I actually don't think so, but I wont say it couldn't happen.

The current NFL minimum salary eg for a roookie on the 40 man roster is $600K....near the top of what our footy flayers make in their prime...Buudy, Ablett, Judd and a few others being exeptions..

Minimum is $420k and Hayne was already earning more than that.

This is about more than money.

It's NFL not rocket science, if blokes with IQ's of 85 can learn the plays I think Hayne will be right.

Anyone ever thought that maybe his unpredictability could be an asset? Or is it impossible to play NFL outside "the play book"?

It's OK to be unpredictable in the right circumstance.

If he can follow a blocking scheme to find a hole on a kick return for example, THEN he can be as unpredictable as he likes for the other 70 yds.

NFL is a very risk/reward focussed game.

Check the number of touch backs or fair catches on kicks.

indeed tyno; he will not be allowed to do his own thing either.

the NFL field is a lot smaller than it seems on TV. i was pretty suprised the stadiums are not that big either- and hold 70-100k people.

point is; there will be less holes to find with much bigger plugs stopping him.

What makes Hayne a better choice than players coming through the college system and have been playing it for years and years:

Quote:

Statistically of the 100,000 high school seniors who play football every year, only 215 will ever make an NFL roster. That is 0.2%! Even of the 9,000 players that make it to the college level only 310 are invited to the NFL scouting combine, the pool from which teams make their draft picks."

So again, what makes Hayne better than the all these guys. Keep in mind that when it comes to college football, the interest is much bigger than our NRL. I know colleagues from the US, who have big weekends away to see there college team play and these teams alone attract 30-40K people and are widely televised.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

IMFoz; college games with colleges in the SEC - which most of the recruits come from; attract crowds of over 70,000 and even 100,000. ESPN also have a 24/7 tv channel dedicated to college sports.

he'll probably get a try out;

i do wish him the best, and it would be good to see how he goes with the cross-sport transition, but i cant really see him succeeding myself, unless hes prepared for the long game which will involve many years, effectively ending any return to AUS in a player role.

The question I keep running through my head is if and when this is over and he returns to Rugby (league or union), will he have any benefit from playing this different code?

I think Falou got better hand skills and kicking skills out of his time in the AFL system, as Hunt will likely show next season as well.

Will Haynes get any better skills from NFL? Perhaps exposure to better training facilities and systems, but I'm struggling to see any skills he could pick up that will help his on field performance.

IMFoz; college games with colleges in the SEC - which most of the recruits come from; attract crowds of over 70,000 and even 100,000. ESPN also have a 24/7 tv channel dedicated to college sports.

he'll probably get a try out;

i do wish him the best, and it would be good to see how he goes with the cross-sport transition, but i cant really see him succeeding myself, unless hes prepared for the long game which will involve many years, effectively ending any return to AUS in a player role.

Speaking of College Football was cool to see Corey Robinson, son of David 'The Admiral' Robinson, doing well for Notre Dame last weekend. Lacks a bit of his dads height (6ft 4in vs 7ft) but plenty of power and pace.

College ball is massive and will only get bigger this year with the introduction of a 4 team playoffs to determine a National Champion.

Cant' wait to catch a Buckeyes game next time we are over in the USA.

As Ifoz & Riddos said College balls is huge, A good thing is no grog at the games so it's family friendly. Having said that most people have tail gate parties & get pissed before they head into the game.

I haven't been to a NFL game but apparently they can get out of hand & have now got holding cells at the stadium.

where did you go bored..?? ive been to NFL games, and there was beer - and the biggest goddam pretzel ive ever seen... the tailgating is really amusing to see; especially to an outsider - its surreal. being aussie tho - they love you, and you can crash most with success.

i thought baseball was super family friendly though, football was for more serious fans.

btw here's sav rocca's very first play in NFL..

maybe he can give haynes a few tips ;)

Edited by louey

Anyone ever thought that maybe his unpredictability could be an asset? Or is it impossible to play NFL outside "the play book"?

I think someone pointed out a typical NFL pitch is much smaller than a rugby pitch, I checked and it is significantly smaller, especially width-wise. This would drastically reduce any space available to an offensive player and really exemplifies why the plays in the NFL are so structured. There is such little space to work with. In rugby a fullback or winger attacking from deep after fielding a kick will have lots of space to work with and probably only 2 defenders to beat, so they'd have a couple of options open to them, this wouldn't be the case in NFL.

I think someone pointed out a typical NFL pitch is much smaller than a rugby pitch, I checked and it is significantly smaller, especially width-wise.

I never actually realised this until as you say it pointed out.

49m vs 68m

I think that makes a big difference.

I never actually realised this until as you say it pointed out.

49m vs 68m

I think that makes a big difference.

Yeah I think it's hard to tell when you're watching it on the TV because of the angle of the camera. But yeah it's really small, exactly same width as a touch football field and you only have 6 players on a team.

i pointed out the width (plus bigger guys in pads which make them a bit wider again).. canadian football league field is wider and probably more suited to some running freedom.

NFL kicking and punting is not so much about distance; its more about the hang time. wanting the PR or KR to catch the ball as they arrive on the scene; so again, less freedom.

many times the kicker will just kick it out past the end of the field, just so they dont give the opportunity to a faster returner making a big play.

I have been to a few games, and the biggest stadium was denver's mile high; and i was suprised at how small it was compared to our stadiums for AFL for eg. TV makes it look so much bigger than it really is. *sat at the 50yd line 4 rows in - was awesome.

as far as rowdiness goes; they constantly post a phone number to call on the big screen if you see anyone being stupid, or are being harassed. its really safe.

Edited by louey

so, he gets a practice with UCLA.. oh dear... UCLA isnt even that good. id love to see footage of the tryout tho...!!!

fail-stamp.jpg

Former rugby league star Jarryd Hayne has revealed he would have signed with a NFL franchise two weeks ago had it not been for visa issues which forced him back to Sydney.

Hayne, who has been in the US chasing his dream of playing the NFL, arrived at Sydney Airport on Sunday morning.

"I was mean't be in a team ... I was mean't to start two weeks ago. The visa issue came up, so I just felt that was a sign to shut it down for a bit and get that rest because I've been going for a long time," Hayne told journalists at Sydney Airport.

"I'd packed my bags and I was there ready to start the next day and it wasn't until I flew in to the facility that the visa concerns came up.

"From December 29 I can sign another contract that will be sweet."

Hayne is relaxed about the situation and happy to be in Sydney to spend Christmas with his family.

"For me now, I've worked hard and done what I needed to do," Hayne told Fox Sports.

"The biggest hurdle was the visa and that couldn't get sorted out until just after Christmas and that was probably the main reason I came home.

"There was no point me being over there when I couldn't be amongst the team because you can't even be in a facility for longer than 24 hours if you haven't signed a contract ... I couldn't sign a contract without getting a visa.

"We'll have that sorted out after Christmas and in the new year I'll have a team and you will all know about it."

Hayne revealed he's been working with a running back coach.

Edited by louey

I mean, you go to the US to get a job, then you think, maybe I should sort out a VISA?

Who actually thinks he'll be playing NFL?

I mean, you go to the US to get a job, then you think, maybe I should sort out a VISA?

Who actually thinks he'll be playing NFL?

No one. The post season is about to start, they don't sign players in December. there's something called a practice squad which gets paid weekly, but it disbands after the season. The players are paid weekly, not on contract.

Or if offered a job, you and it is a problem, you go to Canada for a few days and get the visa..eg the baseball players from Cuba and Domininica.

Speaking of NFL, Seahawks clinched play-off spot this morning thanks to results elsewhere and about to play Arizona with Division title up for grabs.

As a Dallas fan I am unfamiliar with this situation.

Playoff spot clinched with easy win against credible opposition.

Packers win, 11-4, but tied with the Lions. Lions v Packers at Lambeau next week and that will be for the divsion and probable home field during the post season.

**Tyno, 2 Wild Card slots in the NFC, 2 in the AFC, depends on the record off course and if tied a series of other criteria. head to head, record in the division etc.....or you were only joking?

Packers win, 11-4, but tied with the Lions. Lions v Packers at Lambeau next week and that will be for the divsion and probable home field during the post season.

**Tyno, 2 Wild Card slots in the NFC, 2 in the AFC, depends on the record off course and if tied a series of other criteria. head to head, record in the division etc.....or you were only joking?

Don't need a wildcard when you clinch your division.

Don't need a wildcard when you clinch your division.

Ah yes, the Cowboys. When was the last time they won a post season game....I think it was the year they eventually lost to the Seahawks when Romo fumbled on the extra point attempt. 2009....or before?