Peter

Hayne to NFL

he could play running back. he's gonna get squashed tho. he's little compared to what will kill him

he could play running back. he's gonna get squashed tho. he's little compared to what will kill him

Plenty of smaller guys play running back, but they tend to be able to run sub 10s/100m and he's not in that league. I can't see where they'd fit him in. His only attribute is his defence i.e tackling in the NFL, from a technical perspective is abysmal, his tackling should be a cut above everyone elses.

Special teams is the most plausible option.

A gunner on kick teams maybe.

Possible kick/punt returns.

Massive kudos for having a crack, but the competition level is such that I'd say he's unlikely to make it.

The good thing about it is he won't have to wait long to find out.

The NFL system is such that they'll figure out quickly if he will fit.

I think he may be a punt returner. However, those American boys are normally pretty quick.

Good luck to him. He may as well have a crack for a year or two. It is not like Parra are close to winning a Premiership and the Blues won SOO this year.

As a Canterbury fan I'm glad we don't have to play against him anymore, although it just added another team chasing any quality fullbacks on the market.

Unfortunately there isn't much of a pathway into the NFL beyond the High School to College ball to Pros path. There's been a few examples of NFL scouts going after Rugby players as position players but none working out as yet that I know of. But yeah, JH is certainly a talent and the punt returner option definitely the most NRL fullback like option for him to be looking at.

Now we need Scott Pendlebury to follow his mate Patty MIlls into the NBA!

seattle seahawk coach is known for his innovative ideas. but it's more likely he'll be back when he's had a go

I don't see him as small for a running back, he's (using imperial figures) 6'2" and 220Lbs, so I think he could play Fullback. As Zed says, his tackling skills could be used, perhaps as a Safety.

Not sure about those stats TenPints. Standing next to him at Parra pool I don't reckon he's much over 5'10" and 90kg ...

Not sure about those stats TenPints. Standing next to him at Parra pool I don't reckon he's much over 5'10" and 90kg ...

LoL - was going off an Internet search (1.89m, 100Kg according to Google), my mistake for not using the "Andrew #1 yardstick" :smile1:

LoL - was going off an Internet search (1.89m, 100Kg according to Google), my mistake for not using the "Andrew #1 yardstick" :smile1:

Well I must be 185cm and 110kg then. I always wanted to be over six foot and not the 5'10" I always believed I was. Happy days :)

Edited by Andrew #1

He says he's achieved everything he can in Rugby League.

How many premierships did he help Parramatta win again?

Solid point. I'd be pretty pissed this morning if I were an Eels fan.

It's all the padding, it'll make him a bit taller with the helmet and weigh more with the shoulder pads.

Good luck to him, even superstars have got to have dreams...

Think this below comment taken from a news feed by an NFL fan sums it up well though:

"“Hayne is 26 going on 27. Let’s say he is not only athletically gifted, but also, one of the smartest guys out there and that he can learn everything he needs to know about the game in one year. Training camps start in late spring, so we’re far less than a year away from training camp. Lets say he gets good enough in less than a year to be on a practice squad for 2015, and that he shines in 2015 and makes him ready to be a starter in 2016. That makes 28 going on 29 as a rookie where there are only 8 running backs in the league over 29. I think he’s too late.”"

Considering being a first round draft pick doesn't even guarantee you a spot on a team, i say good luck but look for him to be pulling a jersey on for the Eels in round one.

Credit for giving it a crack though.

so he comes back and plays 300+ games with Parramatta...so what ??

how many on this site have ever really chased a dream and pulled up stumps on a good wicket ??

too many govt workers knocking out their 40 years and ogling the gold watch...that's not for the Hayne Plane !! :smile1:

I dont even like NFL but good luck to him and congrats to his club for letting him have a crack...

Plenty of smaller guys play running back, but they tend to be able to run sub 10s/100m and he's not in that league. I can't see where they'd fit him in. His only attribute is his defence i.e tackling in the NFL, from a technical perspective is abysmal, his tackling should be a cut above everyone elses.

it is totally different. and there is a pretty good reason why. NRL tackling is quite irrelevant for NFL.

besides, he will NOT be tackling anyone (unless he is to play Special teams or Maybe he could play CB or SS and use his speed)

if hes trying for RB and WR (WR...which quite frankly is hilarious) these positions have been reported.... then he doesnt tackle at all.

he is only college standard, where the DL isnt as big as NFL's DL and the running game is a bit more open.

positions he;s physique suits... but...

RB - he will get killed

CB - he will get burned big time by larger WR

ST - perhaps run about so he atleast on the field a few times per game (doing really nothing)

K - cant kick

P - cant kick

WR -lol gtfo - he's too short - and then there's the catching part

i follow this sport religiously, and if i were to put him on any position, it would be : Small Safety or Punt Return

Edited by louey

it is totally different. and there is a pretty good reason why. NRL tackling is quite irrelevant for NFL.

besides, he will NOT be tackling anyone (unless he is to play Special teams or Maybe he could play CB or SS and use his speed)

It is totally different, but I was watching this youtube clip of some running back bouncing off and fending off 6 or 7 would be tacklers, he was lauded for his great TD, but really it was because of abysmal defence. Tackling technique that you would not see in 12 year old rugby players i.e going way too high (easy to get bounced or handed off) or going in for these ridiculous big hits and getting bounced. His basic tackling technique i.e ability to get a man to the ground would be far superior to your average NFL player irrespective of the differences in the sport and differences in how they tackle. Doesn't matter what the sport is, union, league, NFL a man can't run without his legs.

edit

Actually compared to Union, tackling in League is pretty poor too

Edited by zed

It's a Parramatta player going to play one of the most mind numbing games on the planet - can't quite see what all the fuss is about :)

clearly Zed, you dont understand whats going on or why. tackling is not an issue - because i dont think he will ever tackle (if he even gets signed- then gets a game, then gets on the field)

it would at best be a long term thing because he is so far behind the 8-ball, they just will not let him play for perhaps a year or 2. by the time he actually gets his foot in the door (providing he will be successful) his time for a return to NRL will be long gone.

this is a one way door if successful...

his road would probably look like; college - then return to Oz because he's not good enough for NFL.

clearly Zed, you dont understand whats going on or why. tackling is not an issue - because i dont think he will ever tackle (if he even gets signed- then gets a game, then gets on the field)

it would at best be a long term thing because he is so far behind the 8-ball, they just will not let him play for perhaps a year or 2. by the time he actually gets his foot in the door (providing he will be successful) his time for a return to NRL will be long gone.

this is a one way door if successful...

his road would probably look like; college - then return to Oz because he's not good enough for NFL.

Yeah I know he's got zero chance of making it, was just making a point about the tackling. Irrespectively aren't the NFL pretty big on stats i.e he needs to run 40 yards in a certain speed to be even considered for an offensive role?

I don't understand most of the above debate about where Hayne could play. He stated on TV last night that he may likely target a Special Teams position as a punt and/or kick return. There is no need to learn the plays or learn to catch a pass from a quarterback over his shoulder or barge through a defensive line etc, as he would if he was targeting an offensive team spot. The argument seems to be that the skillset of a punt/kick return are pretty similar to those he already uses as a NRL fullback ... So, let's discuss that, rather than the other theoretical malarky above ...

I wonder if he's considered how much time he'll spend getting ar5e splinters if he's a 'specials' player. Don't they only get used now and then? He'll die of boredom.

I wonder if he's considered how much time he'll spend getting ar5e splinters if he's a 'specials' player. Don't they only get used now and then? He'll die of boredom.

A punt/kick return is on the field at least half a dozen times a game ... For a guy who dozed off for 5 years at parramatta that will probably seem a largish workload, lol

Edited by Andrew #1

Cheerleaders are better to look at...

at only 100kg - he would be amongst the lightest on the field. the defensive linemen are @ 145kg+ (that and being up to 4" taller)

punt return would infact be a good position for him; but i can see him getting hospitalized though ;)

*ben graham AFL player went to NFL and was successful as a punter. his only job was to kick the ball. he is 6'5" and 107kg - much bigger than haynes, and i recall seeing ben graham getting thrown around like a little rag doll 1 game. he got up looking like he got hit by a train.

Edited by louey

He's out of Parramatta now. My tip is he'll now be playing union before he returns to league. And it'll be sooner than you think.

You heard it here first.

He's out of Parramatta now. My tip is he'll now be playing union before he returns to league. And it'll be sooner than you think.

You heard it here first.

Makes sense, I don't think any AFL club wants to try that experiment again

Since we are talking about NFL, the NFL Redzone coverage that we now get here early on a Monday morning on ESPN is excellent.

With up to 10 games happening at any one time they dodge the Timeouts and Ad-breaks and go around the grounds to where the action is and the close games.

I miss the old days as a 10 year old staying up late on a Friday or Saturday night to watch Don Lane present the game of the week on ABC

You heard it here first.

I'm surprised Ewan Mckenzie hasn't been on the blower, especially with the world cup next year..would have thought that would have interested Hayne.

I'm surprised Ewan Mckenzie hasn't been on the blower, especially with the world cup next year..would have thought that would have interested Hayne.

And you don't think he hasn't already? Hayne would never have got clearance to leave his contract for a gig in Ra Ra. To "follow his dream" of going to the NFL, they've allowed him to go. Have they written a clause in to this to stop him deciding it didn't work & coming back & going straight to Union?

Hayne would never have got clearance to leave his contract for a gig in Ra Ra.

Not necessarily - a few leagies have been allowed to cut their contracts short to go to union. e.g Sam Burgess & Sonny Bill Williams. I think if an NRL club can swing it so they're not out of pocket and can keep the player sweet, he may well return to them once he tires of his stint in union.

Were saying on tv yesterday that a base salary in the nfl is about 400k/year. Don't know what he was getting at parra. But maybe he's just sick of playing 80mins/game and would rather only play 5mins out of a 3 hour game.

at only 100kg - he would be amongst the lightest on the field. the defensive linemen are @ 145kg+ (that and being up to 4" taller)

I don't know why you think 100Kg (220 Lbs) is amongst the lightest. Looking at the team Riddos and myself support, the Running Backs are 215, 221, 222. He'd be the joint-heaviest Corner Back and the heaviest Wide Receiver (heaviest being 199Lbs). There's even a Line Backer that matches him closely (6' and 226). Nobody is saying he has the build to be a Guard, or a Defensive Tackle. The heaviest player the Seahawks have is 147Kg at 6'6"

I think Hayne knows he has very little chance of making it in the NFL, perhaps he's doing it for a bit of publicity or maybe trying to get a reality tv deal out of it? Actually that would be quite interesting..

Were saying on tv yesterday that a base salary in the nfl is about 400k/year. Don't know what he was getting at parra. But maybe he's just sick of playing 80mins/game and would rather only play 5mins out of a 3 hour game.

as a punt returner, he would never play any more than 1 minute of actual game time, for the entire 60 minutes of the game. (he also has a good chance of also not even touching the ball at all during that time) and he would most likely spend the first year on the side lines unless he signs with a rubbish team or shows he CAN hold on to the ball without dropping it - *he would get a go during the first 4 practice games

i think he's delluding himself, and the aussie media and his agent are just hyping this up.

like they did when Ambrose went to NASCAR. most non-followers ignorantly think "how hard it is to drive in circles, anyone can do it. "

Since we are talking about NFL, the NFL Redzone coverage that we now get here early on a Monday morning on ESPN is excellent.

With up to 10 games happening at any one time they dodge the Timeouts and Ad-breaks and go around the grounds to where the action is and the close games.

Agreed Riddos. It is the only sport where you can watch 3 games at once and never miss anything :-)

Ambrose was actually pretty successful at NASCAR ... Not as successful as he was at v8 Supercars, but America is a much bigger pond ..