Rocket Salad

Official Parkrun thread.

5 hours ago, Turts said:

Bugger! 

Sadly I was required to attend a christmas breakfast . 

It's a tight but nice course eh?

The better half ran. I waited. 

We rolled out to Capalaba for our first Christmas Day ParkRun as a family of 4. 

Bit of a mess through the right sections with the double pram but we got it done. Mum abandoned us about 1km in to do her first 5km run in about 12 months at her own pace. She manages to beat her first ever ParkRun time which she was happy with given the lack of training, sleep and having grown 2 kids. 

20191225_065017.jpg

• Like 7

Yay for her. That's a big deal. Both physically and mentally. Well done Mrs B!

Edited by Cranky
  • Like 1

On 27/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, BNothling said:

We rolled out to Capalaba for our first Christmas Day ParkRun as a family of 4. 

Bit of a mess through the right sections with the double pram but we got it done. Mum abandoned us about 1km in to do her first 5km run in about 12 months at her own pace. She manages to beat her first ever ParkRun time which she was happy with given the lack of training, sleep and having grown 2 kids. 

20191225_065017.jpg

Any review on the pram? I've been pushing our twins in their "everyday" pram - I'm interested in if a more running specific pram would make a reasonable difference.

There's a guy at our parkrun who does sub 19 minutes pushing FOUR kids in a pram!

18 minutes ago, toolex said:

There's a guy at our parkrun who does sub 19 minutes pushing FOUR kids in a pram!

Bloody show-offs.

On 03/01/2020 at 10:25 AM, toolex said:

Any review on the pram? I've been pushing our twins in their "everyday" pram - I'm interested in if a more running specific pram would make a reasonable difference.

Sorry. Completely forgot to check this thread.

The pram is phenomenal. There's a reason that they sell so quickly off FB marketplace and Gumtree. The 'cabin' is on suspension so it absorbs minor bumps, the tyres are inflatable so you can adjust them to suit the surface that you're running on, the handle is height adjustable so you can set it to a comfortable height and the drum brakes mean that you don't have to worry about travelling downhill. Just ride the brake lever so it's moving at the right speed and run behind it. It feels very light for the weight of it and it's incredibly manoeuvrable. It is a bit of a behemoth though and won't fit through our doorways with the doors on the hinges and we have to take the wheels off to fit it in my wife's old i30, although it fits in her new Tucson without dramas. I'd also grab the little caddy thing that sits between the bars so you have somewhere to store a drink bottle. My father in law got me one for Christmas and it's awesome having water on hand and a zip pocket to put your phone/wallet/keys/token.

We've spent a lot of money on stuff for the twins, but this pram is right up there on the list of awesome.

On 03/01/2020 at 7:30 AM, Cranky said:

Yay for her. That's a big deal. Both physically and mentally. Well done Mrs B!

It was a huge deal. We went back to Capalaba on NYD and she managed to shave another 2 minutes as well. It's amazing what a little bit of confidence and also knowing that you're not going to completely fall apart will do. Sitting in the mid 36s now, which is about 11 minutes from her PB. I have no doubt that she'll get back there again. 

Unfortunately I flew solo yesterday after the girls were awake at 4am but she's looking forward to next week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BNothling said:

Sorry. Completely forgot to check this thread.

The pram is phenomenal. There's a reason that they sell so quickly off FB marketplace and Gumtree. The 'cabin' is on suspension so it absorbs minor bumps, the tyres are inflatable so you can adjust them to suit the surface that you're running on, the handle is height adjustable so you can set it to a comfortable height and the drum brakes mean that you don't have to worry about travelling downhill. Just ride the brake lever so it's moving at the right speed and run behind it. It feels very light for the weight of it and it's incredibly manoeuvrable. It is a bit of a behemoth though and won't fit through our doorways with the doors on the hinges and we have to take the wheels off to fit it in my wife's old i30, although it fits in her new Tucson without dramas. I'd also grab the little caddy thing that sits between the bars so you have somewhere to store a drink bottle. My father in law got me one for Christmas and it's awesome having water on hand and a zip pocket to put your phone/wallet/keys/token.

We've spent a lot of money on stuff for the twins, but this pram is right up there on the list of awesome.

Awesome thanks. What's the model number/name?

10 hours ago, toolex said:

Awesome thanks. What's the model number/name?

Bob Duallie Pro made by Britax. Managed to get one pretty much brand new (less than 2 months old and still with packaging foam on the frame) on Gumtree for $550.

https://www.britax.com.au/bob-gear/bob-revolution-duallie-pro/

Pretty proud of the Mrs. Zoe cranked out a 33:47 at Mansfield this morning which is just over 4 minutes quicker than her first ParkRun back on Christmas Day. Her body seems to be holding up quite well and she's looking forward to pushing on.

Me? I just missed my pram PB by 2sec at 28:09. As much as I enjoy running with them, and also seeing my wife take chunks out of her previous weeks' times, I am curious to know how I'd go without the pram now that I'm essentially doing 5km of sled work each week ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Scored a course PB at Wishart Parkrun on Saturday of 25:26! 🙂    It's my regular (have run 34 of my 65 parkruns there), but had my slowest PB (I'm sub-25 (just barely!) at Stones Corner & Minnippi).  

I tried to stick with a guy who always run around 24:15-24:30, and lasted with him for 2km (10min even at that point). Then gritted my teeth and tried not to blow up...   Had a relatively slow 4th km of 5:17 (which has a hill & turn around in it), but held on to take 10seconds off my previous course PB.

More importantly, Mansfield (QLD) Parkrun is now my slowest local course PB (by 1 second!), so time to try and bring that down!

On 13/01/2020 at 11:48 AM, Abby said:

More importantly, Mansfield (QLD) Parkrun is now my slowest local course PB (by 1 second!), so time to try and bring that down!

Mansfield is my local now that Minnippi is just a little bit too crowded to take the double pram. I'm currently around the 28:00 with the pram and my goal is to get down to sub 25:00. Yell out if you see us there.

• Like 1

I'm on parkrun 49. 

I did 26 parkruns in my first year of doing them ..back in 2012. It's taken me 8 years to get to parkrun 49! 

Might take another 8 to get to 50 :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

I'm on parkrun 49. 

I did 26 parkruns in my first year of doing them ..back in 2012. It's taken me 8 years to get to parkrun 49! 

Haha. My wife and I did our 100th together. I'm now on 156 and she's on 109. Bloody twins!

• Like 1

Stikman and I both got 50 by the end of last year. We are aiming for 100 by the end of this year. I am a handful ahead of him so have a small buffer for CBFs in the program if I need them. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

My main issue was I actually swapped pure running for tris and then started riding on Saturdays and running on Sundays. 

Switch it. I generally do about 20-30km before parkrun, ride there and ride home, 5km each way. But also usually chuck a few extra km of running after parkrun too.

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

But also usually chuck a few extra km of running after parkrun too.

That's because you finish so quickly that there's nobody to hang around and chat with. 

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Switch it. I generally do about 20-30km before parkrun, ride there and ride home, 5km each way. But also usually chuck a few extra km of running after parkrun too.

Yep, that's what I've recently been doing during my ironman build. Run for an hour before parkrun and throw it on at the end. Works nicely though 7am still feels late for humid Brisbane.

• Like 2

We do run Sat and ride Sun. We alternate one of us running down to PR and home with the other taking the car either direction if we have the kid, or don't have a really long one planned or whatever. It's about 6ks each way so can make up to 17 if we run both ways. 

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Yep, that's what I've recently been doing during my ironman build. Run for an hour before parkrun and throw it on at the end. Works nicely though 7am still feels late for humid Brisbane.

I should've been clearer, I ride 20-30km before parkrun, get about 8-10km of running. Long ride Sunday morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

That's because you finish so quickly that there's nobody to hang around and chat with. 

Nah, slowing down in my old age.

On 16/01/2020 at 1:47 PM, dazmuzza said:

I'm on parkrun 49. 

I'm with you, did my first one around 2015, just ticked off number 40 this morning.

Worse thing about today was took my kelpie to it like usual, she just didn't want to run after 3km and I was looking pretty damn good for a PB up until then

15 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

I'm with you, did my first one around 2015, just ticked off number 40 this morning.

Worse thing about today was took my kelpie to it like usual, she just didn't want to run after 3km and I was looking pretty damn good for a PB up until then

Was your Kelpie pacing you or towing you along 😉😉 😊

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Was your Kelpie pacing you or towing you along 😉😉 😊

Lately its been pacing me way to fast for the first 800metres, neutral advantage for the next 2 kms and then having to  be urged on for the remainder.  She came to us underweight, then the kids started feeding her too much, all being turned around with daily runs and reduction in portions at the moment

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Lately its been pacing me way to fast for the first 800metres, neutral advantage for the next 2 kms and then having to  be urged on for the remainder.  She came to us underweight, then the kids started feeding her too much, all being turned around with daily runs and reduction in portions at the moment

Pic please 😊

Of the kelpie 😊😊

On 24/12/2018 at 2:06 PM, Steely said:

I'll be at rocks riverside christmas day, Zillmere on saturday pallara and forest lake new years day and Jindabyne 5th. 

Doing the alphabet, bee gees and pirates and any other things i can think of.

Are you using the 5k app?

makes it pretty easy to keep track of all those.

6F4FEB88-2563-4D83-B76A-E6BC610103F7.jpeg

On 16/01/2020 at 1:47 PM, dazmuzza said:

I'm on parkrun 49. 

I thought I was slow 😂 - I did one of the first at St Peters nearly 8 years ago and just hit a 100 before Christmas.  At age 58 not sure if the next milestone (250) or death will come first.

For those interested, Mrs L and I are well down the path of kicking off a new one south of Sydney, looking to launch around Easter.  Will keep you posted.  parkrun HQ have been great, old farts at junior sporting organisations, not so. 

Was down at Yamba (northern coastal NSW) with my better half for the long weekend.  Got to engage in some 'parkrun tourism' and lined up on Saturday morning with about a hundred other parkrunners - a good mix of locals and tourists like myself.

Nice course - very flat, but a bit windy. Long straight section tho along the Clarence River. Really enjoyed it! Ran a 26:15 - happy with that as the body was feeling a bit sleepy, trying to tell me it was still only 6am (QLD time!).

Really enjoy the parkrun tourism thing. I'm finding whenever we manage to escape for a weekend one of the first things we check now is if there's a local parkun nearby... Fun way to meet a few locals... 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Abby said:

Really enjoy the parkrun tourism thing. I'm finding whenever we manage to escape for a weekend one of the first things we check now is if there's a local parkun nearby... Fun way to meet a few locals... 🙂

Is this taking over from the old HHH days? I suppose with the drink driving laws, HHH don't get as many turn up as they used to.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

3 hours ago, Abby said:

Anyone heading down towards Wilsons Prom at all or South Gippsland in general, Koonwarra park run is one I'd highly recommend.  Out and back course along a great section of the Great Southern Rail Trail.  June long weekend each year there are 4 parkruns in a day on a Sunday (all non-official), Inverloch, Koonwarra, Mirboo North and generally one a bit further north in the valley, first 3 are some of the best parkruns you will do, starting with a course alongside the beach, then rolling green hills before a course through some old established forests.

Will only be bettered when the Rail Trail extension is completed in a year or so and the new parkrun a few of us have in mind will be up and running.

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is this taking over from the old HHH days? I suppose with the drink driving laws, HHH don't get as many turn up as they used to.

I suppose so Ex.  I was never really into the Hash House Harriers model - mainly because I was never a big drinker or anything and (to me at least) it screamed the idea that the core philosophy was getting on the beers was more important than the running.

Parkrun on the other hand is a much more family-friendly atmosphere, with running/walking at its core and as the driver for any social interaction that follows (which can be as much or as little as you want).