Rocket Salad

Official Parkrun thread.

13 hours ago, AA7 said:

I was a vollie at my local today, timekeeper. Finish token person had her two little kids helping. Dropping place tokens 1 to 150 in a huge mess on the ground right before we started getting finishers was not such a great help. Huge traffic jam in the finish chute, 377 runners today. Might be a few messed up times and placings.

That would have been an absolute mess. Last time I volunteered at Minnippi we had problems with Mums getting kids out of pram just around the corner under the trees and letting them run the last 150m. I saw what happened and didn't stamp any kids but they all went up to the token person and got tokens. Took ages to sort out. Person handing the tokens needs to be right at the end of the chute to give people time to sort themselves out instead of it being 3 steps after the line. I meant to say something to Carmel but forgot.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, AA7 said:

I was a vollie at my local today, timekeeper. Finish token person had her two little kids helping. Dropping place tokens 1 to 150 in a huge mess on the ground right before we started getting finishers was not such a great help. Huge traffic jam in the finish chute, 377 runners today. Might be a few messed up times and placings.

*lol* I was there - saw the frenetic attempts to collect the tokens and get everyone sorted. Having vollied a few times myself (as I know you have) I do get that sometimes things go wrong.  Told a few cranky people in the queue to lighten up a little and remember that its a free event run by volunteers, and that quitened them down... :-)

On the upside, I ran a 25:07 PB thanks to the 25min pacer. Couldn't quite stay with her over the last km, but a big 20sec improvement on my previous best so I was stoked... :-)   That 25min barrier is tantalisingly close...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Abby said:

*lol* I was there - saw the frenetic attempts to collect the tokens and get everyone sorted. Having vollied a few times myself (as I know you have) I do get that sometimes things go wrong.  Told a few cranky people in the queue to lighten up a little and remember that its a free event run by volunteers, and that quitened them down... 🙂

On the upside, I ran a 25:07 PB thanks to the 25min pacer. Couldn't quite stay with her over the last km, but a big 20sec improvement on my previous best so I was stoked... 🙂 That 25min barrier is tantalisingly close...

Well done on your run. 

Disappointing to hear about cranky people, they could've helped pick up the tokens or keep people in order. 

3 hours ago, Abby said:

On the upside, I ran a 25:07 PB thanks to the 25min pacer. Couldn't quite stay with her over the last km, but a big 20sec improvement on my previous best so I was stoked... :-)   That 25min barrier is tantalisingly close...

Let me know if you want to have another crack this Saturday. Happy to come and run with you if you'd like. Alternatively, I've just seen that you roll around Mansfield as well which is the other ParkRun that I frequent if you'd prefer to run there.

No pressure of course, just an offer.

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 2

Thanks BNothling!  I tend to move around to a different parkrun each week just to mix it up. I do Wishart (my 'home' parkrun) every 2nd week, then alternate between Minnippi, Mansfield & Stones Corner every other week.

At any rate, have been knocked out of running for at least a month.  Seems I have ITBS. Bit weird - doesn't hurt while running, only afterwards when I cool down (then takes 24-48 hours to subside). And it NEVER hurts when cycling (even during that post-run period when it hurts just to walk).

Physio reckons its due to a relatively tight calf and weak inner quad on my left side - so have strengthening exercises and foam rolling for the next 4 weeks . Luckily I can still ride whenever I want so won't go stir crazy... 🙂

Edited by Abby

On 02/04/2019 at 2:17 PM, Abby said:

Thanks BNothling!  I tend to move around to a different parkrun each week just to mix it up. I do Wishart (my 'home' parkrun) every 2nd week, then alternate between Minnippi, Mansfield & Stones Corner every other week.

At any rate, have been knocked out of running for at least a month.  Seems I have ITBS. Bit weird - doesn't hurt while running, only afterwards when I cool down (then takes 24-48 hours to subside). And it NEVER hurts when cycling (even during that post-run period when it hurts just to walk).

Physio reckons its due to a relatively tight calf and weak inner quad on my left side - so have strengthening exercises and foam rolling for the next 4 weeks . Luckily I can still ride whenever I want so won't go stir crazy... 🙂

Stones Corner is where the cool kids hang out.

It also has good cafes nearby...

On 17/03/2019 at 8:12 PM, Toolish said:

Young fella broke 30min yesterday.  Is obsessed with setting PB's!

What training is appropriate for a 7 year old looking for a fast 5km?

My young bloke ran 28:11 last time out, I had told him about some breathing techniques which helped.  Ended up going down the path of explaining oxygen uptake in the muscles, carbohydrate and glycogen and lactate...now he wants to be a sports scientist!

I want to get faster so I can pace him still!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

My young bloke ran 28:11 last time out, I had told him about some breathing techniques which helped.  Ended up going down the path of explaining oxygen uptake in the muscles, carbohydrate and glycogen and lactate...now he wants to be a sports scientist!

As a sport scientist, that's a dangerous rabbit hole to fall down. Definitely one of those "the more you know, the more that you realise that you don't know" careers.

• Like 2

I'm up for Longest run Australia we're starting at East Richmond  finishing in Mosman. with lunch in the Terrey hill tavern and dinner in Hotel Mosman. Is anyone else up for 7 park runs ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clappers said:

I'm up for Longest run Australia we're starting at East Richmond  finishing in Mosman. with lunch in the Terrey hill tavern and dinner in Hotel Mosman. Is anyone else up for 7 park runs ?

Would love to, but am not allowed to 'run' at the moment.  But when is it and how does it work? (There might be others on here that are keen).

PS - Sorry I didn't catch up with you after UTA...  I wish I had, it might have been a totally different outcome.

Started in East Richmond in cold fog traveled east got to Mona Vale in glorious sunshine then finished in Mosman in the dark

I ran Curl Curl 6th parkrun of the day in 25.20 but could only manage 34 mins at Mosman 

Goeasy I put some extra salt on my chips just in case

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clappers said:

Goeasy I put some extra salt on my chips just in case

Haha... Good thinking, you can't be too careful!

So does that count as 7 Parkrun results?

2 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Haha... Good thinking, you can't be too careful!

So does that count as 7 Parkrun results?

not sure about that one but I run Kirra Parkrun most weekends and it is possible to do Kirra which starts at 7 and Kingscliff which starts at 8.  There was a message on facebook around the time daylight saving finished this year that if you did Kingscliff as well the result at Kingscliff would not count.

• Confused 1

I think their system is set up such that you can't get two official results on the same day EXCEPT on new year's day

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toolex said:

I think their system is set up such that you can't get two official results on the same day EXCEPT on new year's day

exactly this

On 10/06/2019 at 12:34 PM, CootaGC said:

not sure about that one but I run Kirra Parkrun most weekends and it is possible to do Kirra which starts at 7 and Kingscliff which starts at 8.  There was a message on facebook around the time daylight saving finished this year that if you did Kingscliff as well the result at Kingscliff would not count.

Yes.... I believe both will briefly appear in your results then the 2 run result will be automatically be deleted from your parkrun records. 

Did anyone here do the 7 park runs starting at Geelong and finishing at Altona?  I ran the last one with them in comradery and, despite giving it a crack, still got beaten by most of the runners doing their 7th.... :)

On 29/05/2019 at 12:02 PM, Toolish said:

I want to get faster so I can pace him still!

This is amazing! Can’t wait to run with my boy (and future girl) who is just 16mths 😂 Long way to go yet.. 

Edited by emski
Spelling
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Turts said:

I'm doing my first Parkwalk tomorrow. 

We'll, it's done. Admitedly, I was a little worried. Haven't run more than 500m in one go since October - been doing run/walk for UTA, and then mostly walking.  But wanted to start doing this to get my constant running back on track. 

Ran the whole thing. Broke no records, but kept a steady pace. And yes, it is running for me. Yes some people can walk faster. Care factor = 0. 

20190615_101859.jpg

• Like 8

56th out of 106 total 

25th out of 53 women

2nd out of 7  F40-44.

I'm happy with that. For no real running for 7 months and a month of sfa.   Not sure I'll get any faster, but it's likely! 

• Like 1

Fa

10 hours ago, Turts said:

We'll, it's done. Admitedly, I was a little worried. Haven't run more than 500m in one go since October - been doing run/walk for UTA, and then mostly walking.  But wanted to start doing this to get my constant running back on track. 

Ran the whole thing. Broke no records, but kept a steady pace. And yes, it is running for me. Yes some people can walk faster. Care factor = 0. 

20190615_101859.jpg

Nice to see you on track...too fast for me today though!

2 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Fa

Nice to see you on track...too fast for me today though!

Haha, you had a couple of handicaps! If I wasn't faster I'd be well worried....

Sorry didn't catch you at the end. Turned out there was so many people I knew there who wanted a chat. Got distracted.

Next time! 

49 minutes ago, Abby said:

Slayed (slew?) a very big white whale on Saturday... :smile1:

Rocked up to Stones Corner Parkrun as it was pacer week. Locked on to the 25min pacer, and for the first time in my entire life (all 46 years of it) went sub-25 for 5km. Official time was 24:55...

Last 750m saw some very ugly running from me... Pretty sure I was doing some sort of weird grunting over the last 200m with every step... *lol*  But did the job, and that's a very big goal ticked off.  Now for a sub-50min 10km... 🙂

Well done Abby!

1 hour ago, Abby said:

Last 750m saw some very ugly running from me... Pretty sure I was doing some sort of weird grunting over the last 200m with every step... *lol*  But did the job, and that's a very big goal ticked off.  Now for a sub-50min 10km... 🙂

Good stuff! That's how a good quality 5km should be :)

All hail Abby the Slayer of house transitions :clap:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abby said:

Last 750m saw some very ugly running from me... Pretty sure I was doing some sort of weird grunting over the last 200m with every step...

It's not really a maximum effort until you start making people wonder if you're having a cardiac arrest.

On Saturday I cruised Mansfield with my neighbour and was baited by a guy running alongside me in the last 500m dropping the usual encouragement of "you're nearly there mate" and "one last effort" before firing off a "try and stick with me". My neighbour grinned and waited for it and I kicked hard with about 300m to go. Ended up peaking at 2:30/km and averaging 2:45/km for that effort. He finished about 15s behind me and came up to me afterwards and finished it with a "I should have known that you were taking it easy". He's since followed me on Strava and commented with a "Turns out you do a bit more training that you look like you do." Not sure if I should be offended or complimented? 🤔😂

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, BNothling said:

It's not really a maximum effort until you start making people wonder if you're having a cardiac arrest.

On Saturday I cruised Mansfield with my neighbour and was baited by a guy running alongside me in the last 500m dropping the usual encouragement of "you're nearly there mate" and "one last effort" before firing off a "try and stick with me". My neighbour grinned and waited for it and I kicked hard with about 300m to go. Ended up peaking at 2:30/km and averaging 2:45/km for that effort. He finished about 15s behind me and came up to me afterwards and finished it with a "I should have known that you were taking it easy". He's since followed me on Strava and commented with a "Turns out you do a bit more training that you look like you do." Not sure if I should be offended or complimented? 🤔😂

Wish I could kick like that.

49 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Wish I could kick like that.

Your entire 5km effort is just short of that pace. 

I just completed 50 park runs - my how time flies!  I really love 5k runs.  It has something for everyone - for some it's a sprint, for others it's an endurance event and it's even walkable within a reasonable time and great for dogs too.

And what a great, universal benchmark - sub 20, 25, 30, 35 minutes - they are something we can relate to, ie 4 minute, 5 minute 6 minute ks.  I am really looking forward to our Winter duathlon series with its 5k -18k - 5k format - kind of a couple of park runs with a time-trial in the middle!

Great fun!  Give it a go if you haven't already but, please! Don't wear your ironman kit! :)

Edited by Pete
possessive apostrophe added and an incorrectly asserted subjunctive mood on the verb "to be" in some places...
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete said:

y but, please! Don't wear your ironman kit! :)

I've just now decided on my outfit for next Sat  :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

ut, please! Don't wear your ironman kit!

Actually, just changed my mind.  How about AUS team kit from Worlds? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turts said:

How about AUS team kit from Worlds? 

Current season only, otherwise off to the project clothing store for you......

19 hours ago, Turts said:

Actually, just changed my mind.  How about AUS team kit from Worlds? 

Well then, I'll just have to wear my "Park Run 50" t-shirt to an ironman - that's sure impress the Kona crew! :)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Well then, I'll just have to wear my "Park Run 50" t-shirt to an ironman - that's sure impress the Kona crew! :)

The vollie 25 would be better :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMO Park Run is the best thing to happen to running in ages.  Our local run seems to be a great little community that has a large rotation of volunteers.   I've hardly been this  year but whenever I go to ours, there always seem to be loads of people hanging around after talking about all sorts of stuff.

I'm sure it's become the 'new golf course' for local business. :lol:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Tyno said:

Current season only, otherwise off to the project clothing store for you......

Cool. Been told they'll be here in a couple of weeks. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

The vollie 25 would be better :lol:

Exactly...  It's where my respect and appreciation is at :thumbsup:.

Most people save their bleeding nipples for a marathon or Ironman. Not Stikman though. Always the overachiever, he got his at Parkrun.

6AFCDDEA-6A13-4606-8C6F-C8E9943CA079.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 18/06/2019 at 4:37 PM, FatPom said:

IMO Park Run is the best thing to happen to running in ages.  Our local run seems to be a great little community that has a large rotation of volunteers.   I've hardly been this  year but whenever I go to ours, there always seem to be loads of people hanging around after talking about all sorts of stuff.

I'm sure it's become the 'new golf course' for local business. :lol:

Totally agree FP. I've been parkrunning for 5 years now and have met so many amazing positive people. Some of which I'd call my closest friends these days. Think I'm up to about 195 runs and 85 volunteers, also currently a Run Director at one of Qld's biggest parkruns. the whole concept is so good for local communities on so many levels. I recon if I owned a cafe I'd defiantly try and start a parkrun up nearby :-) lol

Perhaps one of the only negatives I can think of about parkrun and it's massive growth is prior to it's existence a much smaller running community had dozens of small local fun-runs to choose from. Most of these raised a little money for various charities. I guess the opportunity to run in a free, timed local 5k event every Saturday morning has made it tough for these smaller rums and the majority have fallen by the wayside. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 3:38 AM, Pete said:

I adopt the 'inverse' t shirt approach.  The bigger the race, like IM, then out comes the Middle Nether Wallop village fete egg and spoon race finisher's shirt.

I use the same method of training camps. I wear surfing shirts, motorbike t-shirts, anything that's not to do with why I'm there😎