Rocket Salad

Official Parkrun thread.

13 hours ago, AA7 said:

I was a vollie at my local today, timekeeper. Finish token person had her two little kids helping. Dropping place tokens 1 to 150 in a huge mess on the ground right before we started getting finishers was not such a great help. Huge traffic jam in the finish chute, 377 runners today. Might be a few messed up times and placings.

That would have been an absolute mess. Last time I volunteered at Minnippi we had problems with Mums getting kids out of pram just around the corner under the trees and letting them run the last 150m. I saw what happened and didn't stamp any kids but they all went up to the token person and got tokens. Took ages to sort out. Person handing the tokens needs to be right at the end of the chute to give people time to sort themselves out instead of it being 3 steps after the line. I meant to say something to Carmel but forgot.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, AA7 said:

I was a vollie at my local today, timekeeper. Finish token person had her two little kids helping. Dropping place tokens 1 to 150 in a huge mess on the ground right before we started getting finishers was not such a great help. Huge traffic jam in the finish chute, 377 runners today. Might be a few messed up times and placings.

*lol* I was there - saw the frenetic attempts to collect the tokens and get everyone sorted. Having vollied a few times myself (as I know you have) I do get that sometimes things go wrong.  Told a few cranky people in the queue to lighten up a little and remember that its a free event run by volunteers, and that quitened them down... :-)

On the upside, I ran a 25:07 PB thanks to the 25min pacer. Couldn't quite stay with her over the last km, but a big 20sec improvement on my previous best so I was stoked... :-)   That 25min barrier is tantalisingly close...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Abby said:

*lol* I was there - saw the frenetic attempts to collect the tokens and get everyone sorted. Having vollied a few times myself (as I know you have) I do get that sometimes things go wrong.  Told a few cranky people in the queue to lighten up a little and remember that its a free event run by volunteers, and that quitened them down... 🙂

On the upside, I ran a 25:07 PB thanks to the 25min pacer. Couldn't quite stay with her over the last km, but a big 20sec improvement on my previous best so I was stoked... 🙂 That 25min barrier is tantalisingly close...

Well done on your run. 

Disappointing to hear about cranky people, they could've helped pick up the tokens or keep people in order. 

3 hours ago, Abby said:

On the upside, I ran a 25:07 PB thanks to the 25min pacer. Couldn't quite stay with her over the last km, but a big 20sec improvement on my previous best so I was stoked... :-)   That 25min barrier is tantalisingly close...

Let me know if you want to have another crack this Saturday. Happy to come and run with you if you'd like. Alternatively, I've just seen that you roll around Mansfield as well which is the other ParkRun that I frequent if you'd prefer to run there.

No pressure of course, just an offer.

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 2

Thanks BNothling!  I tend to move around to a different parkrun each week just to mix it up. I do Wishart (my 'home' parkrun) every 2nd week, then alternate between Minnippi, Mansfield & Stones Corner every other week.

At any rate, have been knocked out of running for at least a month.  Seems I have ITBS. Bit weird - doesn't hurt while running, only afterwards when I cool down (then takes 24-48 hours to subside). And it NEVER hurts when cycling (even during that post-run period when it hurts just to walk).

Physio reckons its due to a relatively tight calf and weak inner quad on my left side - so have strengthening exercises and foam rolling for the next 4 weeks . Luckily I can still ride whenever I want so won't go stir crazy... 🙂

Edited by Abby

On 02/04/2019 at 2:17 PM, Abby said:

Thanks BNothling!  I tend to move around to a different parkrun each week just to mix it up. I do Wishart (my 'home' parkrun) every 2nd week, then alternate between Minnippi, Mansfield & Stones Corner every other week.

At any rate, have been knocked out of running for at least a month.  Seems I have ITBS. Bit weird - doesn't hurt while running, only afterwards when I cool down (then takes 24-48 hours to subside). And it NEVER hurts when cycling (even during that post-run period when it hurts just to walk).

Physio reckons its due to a relatively tight calf and weak inner quad on my left side - so have strengthening exercises and foam rolling for the next 4 weeks . Luckily I can still ride whenever I want so won't go stir crazy... 🙂

Stones Corner is where the cool kids hang out.

It also has good cafes nearby...