Rocket Salad

Official Parkrun thread.

On 20/01/2019 at 2:23 PM, Go Easy said:

Haha, if it's on Wikipedia it has to be right!

Brad's quickest run at Wagga Wagga Parkrun is 16:01.

The Wagga Parkrun record is 14:50...  And no it wasn't me! :shy:

PS - Willie used to be fairly handy over 5k's though! :thumbsup:

Now if only his athletes could follow in his footsteps!!

14 hours ago, Cranky said:

Now if only his athletes could follow in his footsteps!!

So when are you going to drop a sub 20 Cranky?

You know you have it in you.

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Current PB?

22 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

C'mon, last time out she was over 30 mins, so sub 20 isn't likely :D

After running around 26:30 for what feels like forever, finally ran a new PB at WIshart Parkrun (my 'home' course) of 26:01.  Took 7 seconds off my all-time PB (which was run at Minnippi Parkrun, a much flatter & faster course!).

Rain shower at the start probably helped cool me off! Now just have to find another 2 seconds to finally go sub-26... :-)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Abby said:

After running around 26:30 for what feels like forever, finally ran a new PB at WIshart Parkrun (my 'home' course) of 26:01.  Took 7 seconds off my all-time PB (which was run at Minnippi Parkrun, a much flatter & faster course!).

Rain shower at the start probably helped cool me off! Now just have to find another 2 seconds to finally go sub-26... 🙂

Good one Abby. Come back to Minnippi, that's my home course. I'll pace you to a faster time.

3 hours ago, AA7 said:

Good one Abby. Come back to Minnippi, that's my home course. I'll pace you to a faster time.

Ill be in Brisbane in March and will come down to Minnippi to try for a PB.  I used to live in Belmont and do reps around that lake so I know how quick it is.  4x 180deg turns at Port Mac is killing me...

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ill be in Brisbane in March and will come down to Minnippi to try for a PB.  I used to live in Belmont and do reps around that lake so I know how quick it is.  4x 180deg turns at Port Mac is killing me...

Cool. We usually get some quick guys so should have some good speed up the front for you.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Cool. We usually get some quick guys so should have some good speed up the front for you.

Yeah I know some of the guys who run there but they will be in a different post code to me lol

On 04/02/2019 at 3:01 PM, RunBrettRun said:

Don’t come out to Wauchope then. 5 u-turns plus twice through a tight bend. 

Although it is a far more pleasant run than Port Mac. 

49 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

Don’t come out to Wauchope then. 5 u-turns plus twice through a tight bend. 

Although it is a far more pleasant run than Port Mac. 

It does also have the S bend off the breakwall and the crowds coming back on the first lap both on the path beside the Carpark and the breakwall.  In hindsight surely there was a better spot for it... 

On 04/02/2019 at 10:55 AM, AA7 said:

Yeh that's just about the fastest pr course in Brisbane

On 31/01/2019 at 9:07 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Stuffed if I know where it is!! I'm running this weekend for the first time in what seems like forever but it'll be a ROTB after 90+ mins. So not going going to bust my butt.

On 01/02/2019 at 12:37 PM, AA7 said:

Current PB?

Dunno. I'll have to look for it.

ETA: Best is 21:16 (4:15)

Yesterday was 22:00 (4:24)

Edited by Cranky

On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, Abby said:

Rain shower at the start probably helped cool me off! Now just have to find another 2 seconds to finally go sub-26... :-)

25:28 at Stones Corner Parkrun last week, with gracious thanks to the 25 & 26min pacers... :-)   I have never ever in my life run sub-5min km's for 5km or more - starting to think that at 46 years of age it may actually still be possible... :D

Got a couple of 10km run events over the next few weekends (Women's Day Fun Run this weekend, and then Sri Chimnoy a couple of weeks later). Can't even remember last time I ran 10km (would be 5 - 10 years ago).  Goal at the first one is sub-1hr, then will assess goal for the Sri Chimnoy.

• Like 1

I am a Minnippi regular as well, although the crowds now are getting crazy. 350+ weekly is nuts. I started rolling up to Mansfield a while ago for a change of scenery and that's becoming a favorite of mine as well. Nice and quiet (100ish people) and a really nice cool course, just a bit of a berg at the 3.5km mark but other than that, pretty good.

+1 on Minnippi being a bloody fast course if the conditions work out. Wynnum can also be pretty rapid if the wind isn't cyclonic. 

6 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I am a Minnippi regular as well, although the crowds now are getting crazy. 350+ weekly is nuts. I started rolling up to Mansfield a while ago for a change of scenery and that's becoming a favorite of mine as well. Nice and quiet (100ish people) and a really nice cool course, just a bit of a berg at the 3.5km mark but other than that, pretty good.

+1 on Minnippi being a bloody fast course if the conditions work out. Wynnum can also be pretty rapid if the wind isn't cyclonic. 

I think you look familiar actually.

9 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I think you look familiar actually.

Uh oh. 😅. To be honest, there aren't too many 6'3" gingers getting around Minnippi. I think I know who you are too. You usually ride down and then run?

1 minute ago, BNothling said:

Uh oh. 😅. To be honest, there aren't too many 6'3" gingers getting around Minnippi. I think I know who you are too. You usually ride down and then run?

That's me :)

Just now, AA7 said:

That's me :)

Well there you go. I'll come and say hi the next time that I'm at Minnippi. I think the plan is to head to Capalaba this Saturday for an easy run/walk with Mum ahead of the QTS on Sunday but if she bugs out, I'll head to Minnippi for a cruise.

17 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Well there you go. I'll come and say hi the next time that I'm at Minnippi. I think the plan is to head to Capalaba this Saturday for an easy run/walk with Mum ahead of the QTS on Sunday but if she bugs out, I'll head to Minnippi for a cruise.

I've gone back to Stones Corner the past couple of weeks, wanted that crazy wind pushing me home for the last kilometre rather than pushing into it. But maybe back to Minnippi this week. 

We have just had a local park run launch, 5 races in and I am loving it.  Gives an excuse for the family to get out on a Saturday morning and I am finding my youngest is actually a bit of a runner.  He did a PB of 31:38 on Saturday, I reckon as a 7 y.o. that is pretty solid.

It has also boosted my motivation for running, my PB for it is 23:45, need to drop some KG's and it will come down

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Toolish said:

We have just had a local park run launch, 5 runs in and I am loving it.  Gives an excuse for the family to get out on a Saturday morning and I am finding my youngest is actually a bit of a runner.  He did a PB of 31:38 on Saturday, I reckon as a 7 y.o. that is pretty solid.

It has also boosted my motivation for running, my PB for it is 23:45, need to drop some KG's and it will come down

FTFY

• Haha 1

Ouchy - I just did Shellharbour Parkrun this weekend - it's bloody tough... down a fricking steep ramp to start, along the beach for 300m or so and then up two hills on spongy grass - I'd reckon only the last 1km or so was 'flat'... so, for me this would be the hardest one I've done in Aus - followed by Studley and Orange...

I'd reckon Albert Park in Melbourne might be the flattest/fastest one of those I've done and of the Sydney ones I quite like Greenway!

Any other views on tough / easy ones you've done?

6 hours ago, AJS said:

Over here in WA Whitford Nodes has one m#therf*#&ing monster of a hill about two thirds of the way through.  Okay it's only a 15m gain but in less than 100m and just at that part of the run when you're starting to work a little harder.  Would be a much easier run when you know the course unlike us when we did it.

Albany parkrun is also a doozy, with a steady climb of 40m for the first kilometer and then undulating to the turn-around, for a total climb of about 100m.  The scenery is well and truly worth it though.

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

Over here in WA Whitford Nodes has one m#therf*#&ing monster of a hill about two thirds of the way through.  Okay it's only a 15m gain but in less than 100m and just at that part of the run when you're starting to work a little harder.  Would be a much easier run when you know the course unlike us when we did it.

Albany parkrun is also a doozy, with a steady climb of 40m for the first kilometer and then undulating to the turn-around, for a total climb of about 100m.  The scenery is well and truly worth it though.

Undulating........  :lol1:

• 2 hours ago, Stikman said:

Over here in WA Whitford Nodes has one m#therf*#&ing monster of a hill about two thirds of the way through. 

THere is a hill in WA? :whistling:

Just now, Bored@work said:

THere is a hill in WA? :whistling:

WA's version of a hill is like a Pommie's version of hot :lol:

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

There is a hill in WA? :whistling:

Just now, FatPom said:

You two are hilarious.

10 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Or a Qlder's of cold.

• Haha 1

Guest FFF1077

That hill gave me my all time highest HR of 179 for a few minutes. It's hurty 

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

That hill gave me my all time highest HR of 179 for a few minutes. It's hurty 

Race a Crit & that will be your average HR for 40min

• Like 2

Guest FFF1077
3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

No thanks. It sounds hurty 

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Race a point score on a crit track and try winning it with a 2 man breakaway less than halfway in. 

179 is for puppies. :)

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Race a point score on a crit track and try winning it with a 2 man breakaway less than halfway in. 

179 is for puppies. :)

Lol I remember doing a 90km road race with a heart rate like that. I spent the first 30km dreading the a hay bail (the big rolled up ones) would fall off one of the trucks headinng towards us. I spent the next 30km hoping one would fall off & hit me ending the pain.

The last 30km was spent solo pushing into a head wind at 10km an hour before the sag wagon drove past and provided a motor pace at 25km an hour back to the finish.  Riders & bikes were stacked in there like sardines. 

Got home & the wife said, lets go we are heading out for tea with friends.... She took one look at me, dialed a pizza & rang our friends to say we couldn't make it. I ended up in bed, eating pizza & drinking coke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest FFF1077
20 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Lol I remember doing a 90km road race with a heart rate like that. I spent the first 30km dreading the a hay bail (the big rolled up ones) would fall off one of the trucks headinng towards us. I spent the next 30km hoping one would fall off & hit me ending the pain.

The last 30km was spent solo pushing into a head wind at 10km an hour before the sag wagon drove past and provided a motor pace at 25km an hour back to the finish.  Riders & bikes were stacked in there like sardines. 

Got home & the wife said, lets go we are heading out for tea with friends.... She took one look at me, dialed a pizza & rang our friends to say we couldn't make it. I ended up in bed, eating pizza & drinking coke.

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD TIME 😎🤘😂😂😂

On 13/03/2019 at 8:21 AM, AJS said:

Ouchy - I just did Shellharbour Parkrun this weekend - it's bloody tough... down a fricking steep ramp to start, along the beach for 300m or so and then up two hills on spongy grass - I'd reckon only the last 1km or so was 'flat'... so, for me this would be the hardest one I've done in Aus - followed by Studley and Orange...

I'd reckon Albert Park in Melbourne might be the flattest/fastest one of those I've done and of the Sydney ones I quite like Greenway!

Of the ones I've done in SE Qld, Bunyaville, Ipswich and Sirromet would be the toughest (haven't made it up to Nambour as yet). Around Newcastle the Blackbutt one has a good climb and The Beaches can be tough on a high tide.  

There is one in Yeovil UK, that's pretty hard.   I've only 'ran' it once and went 26.xx.  It's over a load of hilly, rutty, holed filled cow pastures inside the grounds of a stately home.  When I did it, I was near enough the only one not wearing football boots!

I did it in winter, I assume it is better in summer.  Very well attended though and great cake at the cafe. :lol:

Heading to Mansfield tomorrow morning to give it a bit of a nudge. Hoping that the rain scares away some of the people from in front of me and I pull off a miracle Top 10! :D

Edited by BNothling
Fat fingers.
  • Like 1

In the easy/fast bucket, Kira Beach on the Gold Coast, my only park run, clocked 3m of elevation on a shared path. It does have 2 turn arounds, but not a bad spot for a PB.

Agree on the blackbutt one in Newcastle, nice downhill run into the finish but you have to suffer to earn it, no pb’s there.

Young fella broke 30min yesterday.  Is obsessed with setting PB's!

What training is appropriate for a 7 year old looking for a fast 5km?

Just get outside and play. Just keep him active, what ever motivates getting out is enough. FWIW - the cross country distance in primary school is 2km, goes to 3km for above 11 years. 5km is a tough run. 

1 hour ago, Toolish said:

What training is appropriate for a 7 year old looking for a fast 5km?

I agree with Bosco. For a 7 year old, active play is what you should be looking at. you can tailor it to put a bit more running in it, but just have him outside running around having fun. If he starts to get sick of running because training isn't fun, he won't be doing PB's for very long.

Don't worry, I won't push him to do anything, he is just asking what he can do to go faster!

Maybe I need to rephrase it to, what training can a 38 y.o. half broken down male do to be able to stick with his kids as they get faster! :)

• Haha 3

Snaffled a PB at Mansfield Parkrun on Saturday, shaved a single second off to record a 25:27.  Inching ever so closer to the sub-25min dream... :-)

Think I may have seen @BNothling out there on the ocurse as well?  Unfortunately couldn't find you post-race to say g'day... 

• Like 3

I was a vollie at my local today, timekeeper. Finish token person had her two little kids helping. Dropping place tokens 1 to 150 in a huge mess on the ground right before we started getting finishers was not such a great help. Huge traffic jam in the finish chute, 377 runners today. Might be a few messed up times and placings.

usually there are rules about certain roles having restrictions on vollies for certain roles.  My son a few months ago was told he couldn't be the photography when he had just turned 11.  He wasn't happy about it and considering he can shoot in full manual mode on a SLR better than most adults he probably had a right to be.  Younger kids like my daughters tend to get tasked with putting the finish tokens back in order once scanned - they love it

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

I was a vollie at my local today, timekeeper. Finish token person had her two little kids helping. Dropping place tokens 1 to 150 in a huge mess on the ground right before we started getting finishers was not such a great help. Huge traffic jam in the finish chute, 377 runners today. Might be a few messed up times and placings.

Bloody kids!! 

Edited by pieman