Rocket Salad

Official Parkrun thread.

Have you found Park run yet? Its a free fun run held every Saturday morning at a park near you. http://www.parkrun.com.au/ <--sing up first.

5km timed event.

For those who ran this morning, how did you go?

I was slow as today. Ran a 22 :( I know I can go sub 20 with a bit of training. Thing is park run seems to be my only run I do each week.

Did my first one last weekend.

22.32 which I was happy with on no training and coming off the flu. Less than a minute off my best ever 5k time as well.

I'll do another one soon but it doesn't really fit in with training. Saturday morning's when we normally get our long ride in.

Signed up last week but waiting for Melb marathon to be over in a few weeks and then plan to be a regular.. They are popping up at new locations across Perth..

I've got about 35 runs up, haven't been for a while, got down to about 21mins but junior now whips my butt so I don't go anymore :shy:

Second week in a row volunteering. Currently running at around 22:30, hoping to lose some kg's by summer and get to under 20mins. I find it nice to have a consistent way to measure your progress and set goals.

• Like 1

I got a 20.40. Was hoping to go under 20, aim was to start off sitting on 4 min kays and pick up the speed the last 2km. Plan went to shit when I got overtaken by some bloke with a pram, did the first km 3.35 trying to keep up with him.... Needless to say I couldn't! I think he did a 19.30, pushing a pram chatting to everyone he passed as though he was out for a Sunday morning stroll, wanker!

• Like 4

I love Parkrun. It is definitely one of the things that has helped on my journey from obese couch potato to sort of relatively fit person.

Did my 23rd yesterday in 19:51. PB stays at 19:32.

• Like 1

Have you found Park run yet? Its a free fun run held every Saturday morning at a park near you.

Have never done one of these runs but I think they are a great idea. It looks like the nearest one to me is still about 120km's away (Albury).

I find it nice to have a consistent way to measure your progress and set goals.

Sounds fair, it looks like I'll be up in Sydney next weekend and 5km's is definitely achievable. If anyone does any of the ones in Sydney are there any recommendations on which one I should do?

I love Parkrun. It is definitely one of the things that has helped on my journey from obese couch potato to sort of relatively fit person.

Did my 23rd yesterday in 19:51. PB stays at 19:32.

this is why I love park run. It gives people an easy way into the world of fun runs. The larger events can seem daunting, but parkrun makes the transition easy. Once people get hooked triathlon isnt such a big step over to as well.

• Like 1

Sounds fair, it looks like I'll be up in Sydney next weekend and 5km's is definitely achievable. If anyone does any of the ones in Sydney are there any recommendations on which one I should do?

I run at St Peters. Has a nasty little hill juSt past halfway. Also do Parramatta, Mosman and curl curl sometimes.

Have never done one of these runs but I think they are a great idea. It looks like the nearest one to me is still about 120km's away (Albury).

Alburys park run is good. Fast course along the river path. They just broke their record the other day with 153 runners. I still prefer road runners though. The change of course each month is good plus it's very friendly.

I run at St Peters. Has a nasty little hill juSt past halfway. Also do Parramatta, Mosman and curl curl sometimes.

Cheers Hiltz, the one at Parramatta sounds good. I'll probably be staying with my son who lives at Parramatta anyway.

Alburys park run is good. Fast course along the river path. They just broke their record the other day with 153 runners. I still prefer road runners though. The change of course each month is good plus it's very friendly.

It's great that the Albury one is so successful, I might have to make the effort to get down there one day.

Agreed, Road Runners is brilliant and they are a really great group of people too. As you know, it attracts all ages and abilities from guys (when they are in town) that can finish in the top 20 in the City to Surf and win Commonwealth Games Gold Medals, to some slow old timers like myself. This months run is a new course around the Flowerdale Lagoon. Have a crack if you are in town for the Lake to Lagoon.

For those that don't know, the Lake to Lagoon (formally the City to Lake) is a free Fun Run that's been going since 1972. Each year it attracts a couple of thousand people. Not sure if there are any other 'free' Community Fun Runs or events anywhere else?

There's one out west in Melbourne listed for Mumbai Cook (point cook) which is actually in a new part of Hoppers Crossing called Williams Landing ( it's an estate built on part of the old RAAF airfield).

Some friends have been along several times and tell me it's a great run. Pity it clashes with cycle training at the moment. Will get along to one soon.

Please take the time to read the below, Tim is a great bloke and the success of park run is due to his dedication and love of running.

A good read. Thanks.

Did my first ever Park Run at Parramatta this morning.

A good fun event over a very achievable distance. I might need to edumicate these Sydney folks on how to relax, smile and enjoy it when they are running though - some of them seemed fairly serious about it. Maybe it's just a City / Country thing :smile1:.

Volunteers were excellent though. Drizzly weather and they still all seemed to enjoy it and be supportive. Good on 'em! :thumbsup:.

So digging up this old thread to ask a question.  Anyone ordered one of the parkrun shirts for reaching the milestone and know how long it takes?

My son reached his first one, ordered it and paid around $25 for postage from the UK, however still no sign of it after 2 months.  Wondering if this type of delay is usual or not, really would like to get it on him to keep his motivation with this going

2 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

So digging up this old thread to ask a question.  Anyone ordered one of the parkrun shirts for reaching the milestone and know how long it takes?

My son reached his first one, ordered it and paid around $25 for postage from the UK, however still no sign of it after 2 months.  Wondering if this type of delay is usual or not, really would like to get it on him to keep his motivation with this going

I've heard lots of stories about people waiting a long time.

Took a year to get the email to get the shirt, now up to 2 months waiting on the shirt since ordering (and paying).  Sounds like it might be the norm so may not bother with them in the future

I don't understand. How hard can it be?! They should outsource it if they can't manage to post a t-shirt - but it seems a fairly straightforward task! 

Ebay might be easy money until the copyright lawyers ruin the party?

12 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I don't understand. How hard can it be?! They should outsource it if they can't manage to post a t-shirt - but it seems a fairly straightforward task! 

Ebay might be easy money until the copyright lawyers ruin the party?

Do a search online for parkrun shirts.  Lots of different styles available 

https://www.redbubble.com/people/abbywinter/works/31346451-saturdays-are-for-parkrun?body_color=black&amp;p=t-shirt&amp;print_location=front&amp;size=medium&amp;style=mens&amp;utm_source=google&amp;utm_medium=cpc&amp;utm_campaign=g.pla+notset&amp;country_code=AU&amp;gclid=CjwKCAiAjNjgBRAgEiwAGLlf2rjktDZP8zh9vaIlnBDd76XiPpzWSvkFa2TgCpvWIux3Kk2Xsqga3RoCwoUQAvD_BwE

16 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Took a year to get the email to get the shirt, now up to 2 months waiting on the shirt since ordering (and paying).  Sounds like it might be the norm so may not bother with them in the future

Are the shirts free, and you pay the postage?

Here is the man that would know. A week ago I was lucky enough to do Parkrun in Singapore with Paul Sinton-Hewitt, he's the founder of Parkrun. Well, when I say I did Parkrun with him, he was a fair bit quicker than me!

IMG_0883.jpg

Edited by Slunnie
  • Like 2

I think they've had quite long wait times intermittently over the years - from memory they've had (at least) 3 different shirt manufacturers - I had one turn up in about 10 days, and the other one got delayed, and delayed and delayed and eventually I cancelled it - it was supposed to be a Christmas present but not much use in May...

🙂

45 minutes ago, lawman said:

Do you guys do IM for the towels too?  😂

Do you expect to have groceries in your trolley after you've paid for them. 

• Like 2

Park runs are lotsa fun.  When I we were in Darwin earlier this year I rocked up to the local park run and had a crack.  They were all very welcoming of visitors and it is a great way to meet local people - and get a view of the city that you might not normally see.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slunnie said:

Do you expect to have groceries in your trolley after you've paid for them. 

Hey Slunnie,

Yep, and when I send for my 100 shirt by about March, yes, I'll be pissed if it takes too long.  It was a joke.

But I still reckon you could get an IM towel quicker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lawman said:

Hey Slunnie,

Yep, and when I send for my 100 shirt by about March, yes, I'll be pissed if it takes too long.  It was a joke.

But I still reckon you could get an IM towel quicker.

Anthing is possible

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, Cottoneyes said:

We ordered on the 26 Nov and received them last week

On 17/12/2018 at 5:11 AM, Pete said:

Park runs are lotsa fun.  When I we were in Darwin earlier this year I rocked up to the local park run and had a crack.  They were all very welcoming of visitors and it is a great way to meet local people - and get a view of the city that you might not normally see.

Seems to be my only form of competition at the moment .... but they are awesome and such a great community feel to them.

Did one in Ballarat when I was back there last year and ran into two people I went to school with who I hadn't seen since 1990. Better than Facebook for connecting people, I reckon.

• Like 1

I did the beaches parkrun in Newcastle. 

Given my parkrun pb is 23.02

today I did a 35.05. 

All soft sand. Head wind for 2.5k and waves washing thru the course. 

It was awesome. Great friendly people with a coffee after overlooking the beach.  

These are great community events. 

67AB2237-5805-46A1-AEB6-83A93B83E72F.jpeg

Edited by Peter
  • Like 5

How cool is that! Reminds me of doing events with Triathlon South in Hobart where they run on the sand. That’s a unique Parkrun in Newcastle!

2 hours ago, Slunnie said:

How cool is that! Reminds me of doing events with Triathlon South in Hobart where they run on the sand. That’s a unique Parkrun in Newcastle!

Yeah they were saying there are only 4 in the world that are on sand. 

Brimbank in Melbourne is hillly hilly hilly. Tough. But this was tougher. 

Land a woman there today was doing her 200th. 

• Like 1

I ran 5.5km to Parkrun,  managed a very muddy slippery  21.45 and jogged 5.5km back. 

sofa time 😎

• Like 3

This is a special time of the year for us parkrun tragics, there was the usual parkrun yesterday (Dec 22nd), the special Xmas Day parkrun on Tue (Southbank PR for me and about 1,000 others), the usual parkrun next Sat (Dec 29th), and the New Year double parkrun on Jan 1st. That's 5 official runs to your tally in 11 days.

The 29th will also be my 1st gig as the run director at New Farm parkrun 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mike Del said:

The 29th will also be my 1st gig as the run director at New Farm parkrun

Congrats.

Maybe one day your brother will come down & walk your run. It'd be much easier if it was a Sunday. I'd bring Amber.

• Haha 1

a guy I work with got his 250th Parkrun shirt about a month ago. He also a shirt for volunteering 25 times. I think he just likes free shirts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read about an 89yr old lady in Sydney doing her 200th on Christmas Day.

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Congrats.

Maybe one day your brother will come down & walk your run. It'd be much easier if it was a Sunday. I'd bring Amber.

Head up the hill and walk Ocean View with my brother instead. 

Edited by Tyno

On 22/12/2018 at 10:23 PM, FatPom said:

I ran 5.5km to Parkrun,  managed a very muddy slippery  21.45 and jogged 5.5km back. 

sofa time 😎

Fa(s)tPom!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Fa(s)tPom!

haha hardly. That was only good enough for 49/336 overall and 5/30 in AG.  Did beat a younger guy with a Weymouth 70.3 shirt on though :whistling:

My best since IM Wales is a 21.08 on the same (dry) course.

Thinking of doing the Xmas Day run with Flipper. She's only done Jnr PR before (approx 15mins) but I reckon a run/walk strategy would see her being able to complete and if not, no big deal.  

She'll be 5 on Boxing Day, do you think 5km should be ok for her?

Edited by FatPom

I'll be at rocks riverside christmas day, Zillmere on saturday pallara and forest lake new years day and Jindabyne 5th. 

Doing the alphabet, bee gees and pirates and any other things i can think of.