Sign in to follow this  
truck

Challenge GC - who's racing?

So who's in for the weekend despite having to climb/descend Australia's steepest hill which will be covered in a sheet of ice??

I'm there, looking forward to the free beer at the end :)

I'm not, but I want to see so gopro footage of "THE BEAST". I can't believe some-one had the audacity to put a hill on a triathlon course.

I was in a team doing the bike, but due to illness, and because i got scared reading all the trichat posts about the course, i got a replacement. I need to harden the f k up. Seems a dam good choice to me looking at the weather and my lack of training.

Ill be swim, bike, climbing, bike, running my way through.

Ive put my hiking shoes in my saddle bag so I can scale the mountains with ease.

I get the feeling though, this race will be one of the most popular races in Australia after this inaugural race. You get a shirt, towel and beer stein with a free beer. Its on the Gold Coast, and will be a pretty tough course.

Yup, I'm in! 1400m total swimming over the past 3 months makes perfect prep sense to me!

Fortunately I don't think there are any hills in the swim so you should be OK although with BOM predicting 30k winds, as George Consanza would say "the seas could be angry my friends".

I'm in. First Tri I did was 2Day FM in Sydney in mid 80s, only other half I have done was in mid 90s at Robina. In my memory it was one of the hottest days on record. Haven't done much since due to 1000 excuses but have done Noosa past two years and when I saw this one goes past my street I had to have a go.

yep in and WTF have they cancelled the swim already cant be any harder then a un rideable beast in the wet new should have done more 1k hill sprints lol

I'm getting mail that the bike is off also

Too wet and windy

Might be just a runaround the block and then you get free beer

Cheers

Ivp

Hopefully the weather will be clearing up a bit. But don't think the roads will be dry.

Edited by AA7

Too wet and windy

Cheers

Ivp

Sounds like a HHH run.

Are they taking late entries, I'd be up for that?

Too wet and windy

Cheers

Ivp

The ironman Melbourne team running it?

Be funny if it was true, andit wasn't at Currumbin. I think it was '88, there was that much rain the creek was flowing that fast you couldn't swim against it. The solution then was to take everyone 1km upstream and make it a 1km downstream swim. There were even dead cows floating down in about 10min for the km. Couldn't see that happening now.

@belinda_granger: Heard today that some athletes have pulled the pin as bike course too hard and therefore too slow...when did triathletes get so soft????

I'm still undecided. Done SFA training due to unjury then got the flu a couple of weeks back. I'll probably decide tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning. It's only supposed to be showers Sunday.

The ironman Melbourne team running it?

Same same but you wouldn'tt get any thing free at IMfrankston

They wouldrobably charge you for course change LOL

Cheers

Ivp

@belinda_granger: Heard today that some athletes have pulled the pin as bike course too hard and therefore too slow...when did triathletes get so soft????

Wasnt triacathalon made for soft people !!!!!!

Cheers

Ivp

i pulled the pin on the team.....i need a dose of AP to scream at me.

"If you start a session, you must finish the session.

Stay Positive ! "

Really!!!

So are any trannies gonna park themselves on the hill and provide live photo's of the happenings on 'the beast'?

Potential re route of the bike course to avoid the beast if the rain keeps up.

Also this with Di2 good luck

If the council won't allow three laps of currumbin I reckon they will shorten the bike to 1 lap of currumbin. So ~40k I just can't see what else they will do seeing as though the council denied them making it three laps.

Wish I was doing it. You will look back at this race in 20 years and be glad you did it. People will say in this forum "remember the Goldie race in 2014........"

Update from Challenge GC as at 9:45am, course remains unchanged. Any changes will be made at last possible moment in consultation with QPS TA etc etc.

• Like 1

Wish I was doing it. You will look back at this race in 20 years and be glad you did it. People will say in this forum "remember the Goldie race in 2014........"

LOL

Cheers

Ivp

Potential re route of the bike course to avoid the beast if the rain keeps up.Also this with Di2 good luck

My di2 works under water

Just gotta make sure you have the shrink wrap on the joins

Cheers

Ivp

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow morning.

And for all those from interstate, welcome to sunny Queensland. I hope the weather clears a bit and you can at least have your beer at the end in the sun.