nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Honestly, we'd rather just wear the costs rather than push the issue and maybe get someone off side!  It's been too much of a push to get in there to risk anything.  A bit like the testing at the USQ clinic, they probably wouldn't have charged us if we really wanted to make an issue of it.  But thousands of dollars of testing and reports for a few hundred bucks, you just stuck it up.

So far we're pretty stoked.  Longing way to go still, but more forward steps than backwards now.

Totally understand 

5 hours ago, goughy said:

A gaming incident which also would have him going of like a rocket still upset him, but the reaction was much more settled and he got over it in short order.  The best thing though, is so far the new don't seem to be having any negative effects on him.  Some people worry that putting their kids on meds will return them into emotionless drones, or they'll withdraw into a shell or something.  But we're seeing the opposite.  

Thats some great progress.

They even everything out. I find that I am not flying off the handle at everything now compared to no meds. It also helps you get interacting again as you find yourself in your own head less. 

Still suffer the lows, of late it has been around my body and how it looks, started with the worlds team uniform, then when I saw the worlds photos, now looking at wedding dresses. Everyone else over there on the internet thinks clothing is optional (there is a gym challenge going on where I used to live), I still want to cover myself up. Does not help when thin people say they are fat....if you are, then what am I? 😤

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1

I get you Jess. 
I love following people in Kona or stuff like that, but then I see my reflection or look down at my guts and it’s tough not to be discouraged by the comparison. 

20 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I get you Jess. 
I love following people in Kona or stuff like that, but then I see my reflection or look down at my guts and it’s tough not to be discouraged by the comparison. 

True, but you have to find a way to break that cycle.

there will always be someone richer, smarter, faster, better looking or thinner buy you don’t know what else they are dealing with. They may look at you and think “I’m thin but why am I not happy?”

Just do what you can, be the best you that you can be at any given time. If you stumble don’t punish yourself, take stock and get back on track. But he sure to mentally reward yourself at regular intervals if you get through a meal, or a day or a week without falling off the rails. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissJess said:

Thats some great progress.

They even everything out. I find that I am not flying off the handle at everything now compared to no meds. It also helps you get interacting again as you find yourself in your own head less. 

Still suffer the lows, of late it has been around my body and how it looks, started with the worlds team uniform, then when I saw the worlds photos, now looking at wedding dresses. Everyone else over there on the internet thinks clothing is optional (there is a gym challenge going on where I used to live), I still want to cover myself up. Does not help when thin people say they are fat....if you are, then what am I? 😤

It's all relative though isn't it?  I've had this thrown at me at work by a very very overweight lady who said similar when I said I'd put on a lot of weight this and was fatter than I should be, or want to be.

She said 'oh it's alright for you because you don't have to try'.  She seemed genuinely shocked when I said it's a constant struggle and has been for 25yrs and it's the same with being 'fit'  (she's just started Park Runs and is full of 'helpful advice' :whistling:) she thinks it 'just happens' for others.

If a thin person thinks they are fat, then it's relative to them if they've put on weight, and the effects on how they feel about themselves can't be dismissed just because they aren't as big as others. I'm definitely not proud of myself this year and it's only me that can fix it. :wallbash:

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, roxii said:

there will always be someone richer, smarter, faster, better looking or thinner ..................

There lies the issue. People should not compare themselves to others. Be  the person you are. Adapt, overcome , improvise. 

And if you are one of the folks who compare yourself to others don't....and stop following people on social media unless you know them.

On the radio this morning.....Apparently 1 in 7 people in Australia have a mental health issue. Why? How is this so?

• Like 1

It's not something knew.  They were always there before.  No one knew about them and you just went on living with however you were.  

48 minutes ago, goughy said:

It's not something knew.  They were always there before.  No one knew about them and you just went on living with however you were.  

Glenn Maxwell has just stepped away from cricket to deal with it.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/aussie-cricket-star-glenn-maxwell-takes-break-from-game-for-mental-health-reasons/news-story/e9c227916333875ed616daaa7b83bcf1

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't buy it when it comes to pro sports people (am always suspicious they have don't something wrong). They have all the resources and financial backing available. I think it is an insult to normal people when normal people with issues are left to there own devices and are often questioned, where the sports folks are given all the sympathy in the world. And they never say what the issue is.... Mental health is quite a broad spectrum. 

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

You could say the same about someone like Robin Williams then? (not having a go at you).  In fact, pretty much any person that earns in the realms of several hundred thousand and more can afford to find care.

The stigma and shame transcends wealth.  I truly believe the saying "money can't buy happiness" rings to some degree true.  I'm sure I read somewhere or someone say it can make the bad times better, but it doesn't solve everything.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

The stigma and shame transcends wealth.  I truly believe the saying "money can't buy happiness" rings to some degree true.  I'm sure I read somewhere or someone say it can make the bad times better, but it doesn't solve everything.  

Rich people who say ‘money doesn’t buy happiness’ never seem to try living without it.

• Like 1

That is true.

5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I don't buy it when it comes to pro sports people (am always suspicious they have don't something wrong). They have all the resources and financial backing available. I think it is an insult to normal people when normal people with issues are left to there own devices and are often questioned, where the sports folks are given all the sympathy in the world. And they never say what the issue is.... Mental health is quite a broad spectrum. 

So.... more info has come out on Maxwell. It appears he is all upset because he hasn’t been selected lately after putting in so much work. Craddocks article on news.com.au. 

So for every kid who doesn’t make the school team or every triathlete that has a bad race in the Ironman...... should we then cry mental health.

No wonder society is so f$&ked when these stories come out. Like I said before it’s an insult to those people who do have real issues from a wide range of causes and who are genuine and don’t have the opportunity to sit on the sideline for a few weeks or months. The real people have lives to lead and families to support......responsibilities!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah,  it can be a pisser when you see things like that, but the reality is we really don't know what's going on in his head.  It is easy to say that they have access to all the help in the world.  But everyone's problems are different, and everyone's ability to deal with them different.  My wife should be a bumbling mess I reckon, but she has the strongest of minds.  I look at me and my head and feel like a loser with what I can't deal with, but I know that's just how mine works.  It needs help, but is strong in its own ways.  

20 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

On the radio this morning.....Apparently 1 in 7 people in Australia have a mental health issue. Why? How is this so?

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days.  As I said, I don't believe it's necessarily because a greater percentage of people suffer from mental health conditions than before, but because they can more readily be diagnosed these days than before.  But how to find some way to compare the past to now?

So I thought maybe looking at one statistic that does involve mental health but didn't really need a diagnosis to be recorded.  And a bit of a taboo topic, suicide rates!

When I looked at it, the suicide rate in the US is about 13.5 per 100,000 of population.  In 1950 it was 13.2.  there are periods where it dropped under 11, but it's tended to float around that average for the last 60 years.  In the UK and Wales, around 1911 it was up around 30 per 100,000.  It showed quite dramatic drops and rises, going up to around 30 again, and dropping down to the low teens where it sits now.  In Australia in 1955 it was 9.3 per 100,000.  In 1965 it was 14.9.  by the 90's it was in the lower teens, and in 2006 it was actually 8.2 per 100,000.

I think it also that it depends what they mean by "Mental Health Issue".

A mental health issue doesn't need to be something that incapacitates a person. A person that has a drop in work performance due to feeling continually depressed about what is happening in their life has a mental health issue, the same way that a person who has time off work for the flu has, at that time, a physical health issue.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

And also, many will only have that problem for a short period of time.  It still adds to the statistics.  Some will be medicated for life yet suffer few, if any more episodes.  My father met many bipolar sufferers that had only had one episode in their life, with medication successfully keeping at bay, and leading pretty much normal lives them on.

On the subject of sports / mental health...

For me one of the most revealing books I've read about mental health generally, and sports people specifically was this one about Robert Enke - former Barcelona and German goalkeeper.

"A life too short" by Ronald Reng

A real eye opener on the insidious ways mental health can affect anyone and everyone, and that even those who seemingly have it all (from the outside looking in) can be plagued by inner demons.

Well worth a read if interested in the subject, be prepared to find it pretty sad and heart rending.