nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Thanks everyone. A sleepless night, as you can imagine. Mrs FP has insisted we try and salvage the holiday for Imogen’s sake. So now we have to have a quick brekkie, then drive two hours from holiday to Mums, drop Imogen, then I will drive us both to Winchester ( another  2hrs), drop Yoosun, she’s getting a fixed price taxi to LHR, then. I drive back to Mums, pick them both up and we drive back holiday.

We miss an entire day, but get 50% of the holiday time back.  This place was £1400 for the week. My poor clapped out car won’t know what hit it!  

Most of the extended family live in the US, so the phone hasn’t stopped as everyone is flying in from everywhere.

Miss Jess, sorry to read about your Uncle :(

Just a friggin awful Arvo and night tonight, with Kyan having a melt down after refusing to go to the dentist and having his wifi access removed for two weeks.  Massive tantrum that ended up with him grabbing a knife and running outside, chased him down while my wife called an ambulance, who turned up with a cop after he'd chucked the knife away and started to settle.  Off to hospital, and home now after a chat to mental health.  He's now gonna be seen by cyms at the base Hospital.  Then after all that and getting home, nearly had another meltdown when he found out his punishment stands.  I'm gonna keep him home from school tomorrow, and I only have one urgent job I have to get done so will spend the day with him, and he can come work with me while I do that job.  Keep going into his room and lying down beside him.  But I think it's gonna get harder still before it's gonna get better.  Need to go sleep now.

• Sad 4

Goughy, I know it seems so tough now, but we got through all that with our daughter, and she's doing so well in her life and her career now that she's matured. We're so proud of her, and amazed at what she's done after what it looked like it was going to be like in her mid teens. It's not the academic career some of your kids are chasing, but she's managing a top store, and is constantly being offered jobs by others now that a few know her. 

It's well worth the effort, and we've never been closer than we are now.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 4

And he just on Monday had his first appointment at the USQ psychology clinic where they are going to do a diagnostic assessment of him, looking to see if there's other conditions underlying his anxiety.  Probably something similar will happen with the hospital too.  They I think will also assess how IQ.  He thinks he's pretty dumb, but I think he's gonna get a bit of a shock.

Haven't sent him to school today, I think he needs to have the break after yesterday.  I'll report it to the school as having a mental health day.  My wife might kick my arse for it, but yesterday was pretty big and traumatic all round.  I'm gonna barely do anything today.

And just had a follow-up call from cyms, and it sounds like things may not go the way we hoped, I guess, not really knowing how it all worked.  But horribly understaffed at the moment and in a heavy crisis period and it could be a few weeks before they can sit down and discuss his case.  And even then it may more likely be suggested that he stay being dealt with in the private sector.  But don't expect to hear back from him for several weeks at least, see our gp who will receive the report of yesterday's admittance, use youth beyond blue, and just call them if we think an acute crisis is actually occurring.  Leaves me feeling a bit deflated I guess.

Goughy, sorry to hear of the troubles for you and yours.

I can't offer any practical advice and hopefully the professional sector can assist in the immediate future.

In the meantime, not sure if this is of any interest, but perhaps visit https://www.smilingmind.com.au/ and maybe download the app for Kyan to have a go at.  You never know, it might be his thing!

Otherwise, it might be useful for the rest of the family!!

Good luck.

I don't know you Goughy, and I 'm so sorry to hear of your plight.

Hang in there and keep talking on here.   You're an amazing father.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FP - so sorry to hear the sad news and hope that you are enjoying your family holiday, as best as you can.

MJ - any news? Take care xxx

Goughy - it's a tough time for you all. Take the mental health day without the guilt and good on you for standing strong around the consequence. It's difficult but they appreciate the boundaries,  even if they don't think they do. Chin up. You're doing great.

• Like 2

Hey Cranky, yeah, he passed away last Sunday (11th) they are having a celebration at the end of the month as there is no funeral (he had mast cell disease and he has chosen to donate his body to science).

Thanks for checking in. 

Goughy, got no advice for you. Hopefully things get better when he gets into the doctors.

• Like 2

MJ - sorry to hear. I hope you are going ok. A celebration is a great idea. Funerals suck. And good on him for donating his body. What a great guy.

Goughy - any progress? Stay tough. You're doing great. 

• Like 1

Aaarrrggghhh, feeling completely frustrated at the mo (this f'n man cold probably ain't helping).  Got a letter from the psychiatrist my son was referred to, saying that she and the other child psychs are slammed and none are taking new referrals.  She suggested someone who she felt might be able to squeeze him in; they're 175km away!  FFS.  Then just got another call from cymhs, the guy sound a bit put out that they received a referral from our doc to them, and was wondering if we knew she was gonna do that!  Which we didn't until we spoke to the psychiatrists office and they told me that's what the public referral meant.  So I had to explain to him the process we went through and that our gp wanted him to see a psych for meds rather than her prescribing.  He's still refusing to go back to his psychologist, have met with the school to update them and maybe look at some options, the psych clinic who are doing a diagnostic assessment haven't called us in the last fortnight for his next appointment.  If my hair want so f'n awesome I'd have pulled it all out by now!  Also found out the base Hospital has something like 70 psychologists on staff, and currently one psychiatrist, hence why it'll be near impossible for them to see him.  It's 30 degrees up here, and I can barely get my done to wear a jumper in winter but he's currently wearing it all day at school with it zipped right up, so something is going on.

• Sad 3

On 06/09/2019 at 12:12 PM, goughy said:

Aaarrrggghhh, feeling completely frustrated at the mo (this f'n man cold probably ain't helping).  Got a letter from the psychiatrist my son was referred to, saying that she and the other child psychs are slammed and none are taking new referrals.  She suggested someone who she felt might be able to squeeze him in; they're 175km away!  FFS.  Then just got another call from cymhs, the guy sound a bit put out that they received a referral from our doc to them, and was wondering if we knew she was gonna do that!  Which we didn't until we spoke to the psychiatrists office and they told me that's what the public referral meant.  So I had to explain to him the process we went through and that our gp wanted him to see a psych for meds rather than her prescribing.  He's still refusing to go back to his psychologist, have met with the school to update them and maybe look at some options, the psych clinic who are doing a diagnostic assessment haven't called us in the last fortnight for his next appointment.  If my hair want so f'n awesome I'd have pulled it all out by now!  Also found out the base Hospital has something like 70 psychologists on staff, and currently one psychiatrist, hence why it'll be near impossible for them to see him.  It's 30 degrees up here, and I can barely get my done to wear a jumper in winter but he's currently wearing it all day at school with it zipped right up, so something is going on.

Sorry you're having such as hard time Goughy. As I am sure many of us have seen, the state of the mental health system in Australia leaves a lot to be desired and is incredibly frustrating and time consuming to try and navigate.