nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

Thanks everyone. A sleepless night, as you can imagine. Mrs FP has insisted we try and salvage the holiday for Imogen’s sake. So now we have to have a quick brekkie, then drive two hours from holiday to Mums, drop Imogen, then I will drive us both to Winchester ( another  2hrs), drop Yoosun, she’s getting a fixed price taxi to LHR, then. I drive back to Mums, pick them both up and we drive back holiday.

We miss an entire day, but get 50% of the holiday time back.  This place was £1400 for the week. My poor clapped out car won’t know what hit it!  

Most of the extended family live in the US, so the phone hasn’t stopped as everyone is flying in from everywhere.

Miss Jess, sorry to read about your Uncle :(

Just a friggin awful Arvo and night tonight, with Kyan having a melt down after refusing to go to the dentist and having his wifi access removed for two weeks.  Massive tantrum that ended up with him grabbing a knife and running outside, chased him down while my wife called an ambulance, who turned up with a cop after he'd chucked the knife away and started to settle.  Off to hospital, and home now after a chat to mental health.  He's now gonna be seen by cyms at the base Hospital.  Then after all that and getting home, nearly had another meltdown when he found out his punishment stands.  I'm gonna keep him home from school tomorrow, and I only have one urgent job I have to get done so will spend the day with him, and he can come work with me while I do that job.  Keep going into his room and lying down beside him.  But I think it's gonna get harder still before it's gonna get better.  Need to go sleep now.

• Sad 4

Goughy, I know it seems so tough now, but we got through all that with our daughter, and she's doing so well in her life and her career now that she's matured. We're so proud of her, and amazed at what she's done after what it looked like it was going to be like in her mid teens. It's not the academic career some of your kids are chasing, but she's managing a top store, and is constantly being offered jobs by others now that a few know her. 

It's well worth the effort, and we've never been closer than we are now.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 4

And he just on Monday had his first appointment at the USQ psychology clinic where they are going to do a diagnostic assessment of him, looking to see if there's other conditions underlying his anxiety.  Probably something similar will happen with the hospital too.  They I think will also assess how IQ.  He thinks he's pretty dumb, but I think he's gonna get a bit of a shock.

Haven't sent him to school today, I think he needs to have the break after yesterday.  I'll report it to the school as having a mental health day.  My wife might kick my arse for it, but yesterday was pretty big and traumatic all round.  I'm gonna barely do anything today.

And just had a follow-up call from cyms, and it sounds like things may not go the way we hoped, I guess, not really knowing how it all worked.  But horribly understaffed at the moment and in a heavy crisis period and it could be a few weeks before they can sit down and discuss his case.  And even then it may more likely be suggested that he stay being dealt with in the private sector.  But don't expect to hear back from him for several weeks at least, see our gp who will receive the report of yesterday's admittance, use youth beyond blue, and just call them if we think an acute crisis is actually occurring.  Leaves me feeling a bit deflated I guess.

Goughy, sorry to hear of the troubles for you and yours.

I can't offer any practical advice and hopefully the professional sector can assist in the immediate future.

In the meantime, not sure if this is of any interest, but perhaps visit https://www.smilingmind.com.au/ and maybe download the app for Kyan to have a go at.  You never know, it might be his thing!

Otherwise, it might be useful for the rest of the family!!

Good luck.

I don't know you Goughy, and I 'm so sorry to hear of your plight.

Hang in there and keep talking on here.   You're an amazing father.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FP - so sorry to hear the sad news and hope that you are enjoying your family holiday, as best as you can.

MJ - any news? Take care xxx

Goughy - it's a tough time for you all. Take the mental health day without the guilt and good on you for standing strong around the consequence. It's difficult but they appreciate the boundaries,  even if they don't think they do. Chin up. You're doing great.

• Like 2

Hey Cranky, yeah, he passed away last Sunday (11th) they are having a celebration at the end of the month as there is no funeral (he had mast cell disease and he has chosen to donate his body to science).

Thanks for checking in. 

Goughy, got no advice for you. Hopefully things get better when he gets into the doctors.

• Like 2

MJ - sorry to hear. I hope you are going ok. A celebration is a great idea. Funerals suck. And good on him for donating his body. What a great guy.

Goughy - any progress? Stay tough. You're doing great. 

• Like 1

Aaarrrggghhh, feeling completely frustrated at the mo (this f'n man cold probably ain't helping).  Got a letter from the psychiatrist my son was referred to, saying that she and the other child psychs are slammed and none are taking new referrals.  She suggested someone who she felt might be able to squeeze him in; they're 175km away!  FFS.  Then just got another call from cymhs, the guy sound a bit put out that they received a referral from our doc to them, and was wondering if we knew she was gonna do that!  Which we didn't until we spoke to the psychiatrists office and they told me that's what the public referral meant.  So I had to explain to him the process we went through and that our gp wanted him to see a psych for meds rather than her prescribing.  He's still refusing to go back to his psychologist, have met with the school to update them and maybe look at some options, the psych clinic who are doing a diagnostic assessment haven't called us in the last fortnight for his next appointment.  If my hair want so f'n awesome I'd have pulled it all out by now!  Also found out the base Hospital has something like 70 psychologists on staff, and currently one psychiatrist, hence why it'll be near impossible for them to see him.  It's 30 degrees up here, and I can barely get my done to wear a jumper in winter but he's currently wearing it all day at school with it zipped right up, so something is going on.

• Sad 3

On 06/09/2019 at 12:12 PM, goughy said:

Aaarrrggghhh, feeling completely frustrated at the mo (this f'n man cold probably ain't helping).  Got a letter from the psychiatrist my son was referred to, saying that she and the other child psychs are slammed and none are taking new referrals.  She suggested someone who she felt might be able to squeeze him in; they're 175km away!  FFS.  Then just got another call from cymhs, the guy sound a bit put out that they received a referral from our doc to them, and was wondering if we knew she was gonna do that!  Which we didn't until we spoke to the psychiatrists office and they told me that's what the public referral meant.  So I had to explain to him the process we went through and that our gp wanted him to see a psych for meds rather than her prescribing.  He's still refusing to go back to his psychologist, have met with the school to update them and maybe look at some options, the psych clinic who are doing a diagnostic assessment haven't called us in the last fortnight for his next appointment.  If my hair want so f'n awesome I'd have pulled it all out by now!  Also found out the base Hospital has something like 70 psychologists on staff, and currently one psychiatrist, hence why it'll be near impossible for them to see him.  It's 30 degrees up here, and I can barely get my done to wear a jumper in winter but he's currently wearing it all day at school with it zipped right up, so something is going on.

Sorry you're having such as hard time Goughy. As I am sure many of us have seen, the state of the mental health system in Australia leaves a lot to be desired and is incredibly frustrating and time consuming to try and navigate. 

Ayto, You are a legend. A great idea to push - the “Man Walk”. Doing a great job. 

FM

PS: Just found the below photo from a mate on FB. This was the Penrith Men's Walk & Talk yesterday.

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, cloud and outdoor

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 5

My best mate and I go on two or three walks a week.  I think he likes to unload on someone other than his wife, who knowing her would just tell him to man up and sick it up ;)

• Like 1

What a frikken' day?

Thank fark for the weekend - might go hermit for a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 20/09/2019 at 5:01 PM, trinube said:

Thank fark for the weekend - might go hermit for a couple of days.

Yep, we all need some down time every now and then.  Sometimes it's even during your work time, if you really really need it then take it.

Hope all's well.

• Like 1

What a week! Both of us on a high after getting engaged, going to worlds, etc. He got back on Tuesday..and BANG...whole team is being made redundant, they are outsourcing their IT to save money. 

So effing angry....the execs just spend on useless shit for themselves and product that won't sell and everyone else suffers.

• Sad 2

Just a quick thanks to all the people who contacted me via messenger, text and PM.

Having a few too many ups and downs at the moment and there's been a few really poor periods.

Thanks again, you know who you are.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MissJess said:

What a week! Both of us on a high after getting engaged, going to worlds, etc. He got back on Tuesday..and BANG...whole team is being made redundant, they are outsourcing their IT to save money. 

So effing angry....the execs just spend on useless shit for themselves and product that won't sell and everyone else suffers.

And as they soon will find out, outsourcing IT often doesn't save them money. Sounds good when they do the sums, in reality they end up paying lose for a far inferior service which ultimately costs them more....

Well, our son was knocked back by child and youth mental health services at the hospital; they assessed that he doesn't need their care and we should go back to our gp!  The assessment was made by the same psychiatrist that can't fit him in privately either, but suggested someone 200k away.  Pissed off.

• Confused 1

On 23/09/2019 at 5:11 PM, zed said:

And as they soon will find out, outsourcing IT often doesn't save them money. Sounds good when they do the sums, in reality they end up paying lose for a far inferior service which ultimately costs them more....

Someone admitted it would take at least two years to see the pay back on it. Thing is I do not ever remember anyone tracking benefits that long after a project has been completed. Quite often the issue with outsourcing is the change of service you get, but apparently these guys already have the company delivering level 1, oh and it's already shit, they blindly tick and flick, but ok, lets add on L2, L3 onsite, on-call, exec and core support! 😂

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Well, our son was knocked back by child and youth mental health services at the hospital; they assessed that he doesn't need their care and we should go back to our gp!  The assessment was made by the same psychiatrist that can't fit him in privately either, but suggested someone 200k away.  Pissed off.

Not sure what to say Goughy. I'm starting to think you should be raising all of this to a medical ombudsman or QLD Health or something.

6 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Not sure what to say Goughy. I'm starting to think you should be raising all of this to a medical ombudsman or QLD Health or something.

Have you tried your local member?

My local member is a dick!  Frustrating too that I was informed by text message.  Frustrating more so that his psychologist (who he's been refusing to go to) also works at cyhms and said to me she was considering referring him there because she felt he needed more care than is available under the mental health care plan.  I guess we can't afford a solar system that would reduce our current electricity expenditure, but can afford private psychiatric and psychology services.  **** them all.

I forgot about them!  Last year they weren't helpful, but might try again.

• Like 1

I thought i might provide an update on my situation.  In short things are going ok.

long raw version-

I’ve had several sleepovers in the hospital this year and three serious ones where I was kept on suicide watch in emergency, first attempt I was taken to hospital by police after I personally called them to come and save me, when they got to my house they found me with two fish filleting knives and I was agitated, I had wounded myself in the groin (small wound, no damage done), but you get my drift on what my plan was, this was back in the beginning of the year and actually on my birthday, great way to turn 37.  Since then I have been in the care of Pilbara mental health and still am.  Assessed in the days following and diagnosed with depression, where from? I have no idea.  After this there has been a lot of appointments at the hospital for me and my wife has tagged along and been very much apart of the process to helping me get back on track, it has very nearly cost us our marriage, separation was a very very real prospect, she researched single parenting etc, but she never once hid it from me.  Back on track, I was then made redundant, probably not ideal at the time for my headspace but now I look back, probably a blessing as it has given me time to try and heal without the pressure of work. 

I revealed in one of my appointments shortly after that I had made a previous attempt and that was late last year about a month before busso I took off in my Ute and drove the highway at night looking for a road train to drive into, I lined one up but it missed me, I was 200km from home and didn’t want to return.  I kept that entirely to myself, not one person knew about it until I blurted it out infront of my wife and councillor, I’ve never seen my wife so upset, she was shocked.  Intensive appts followed into the middle of the year, except in April i took off again, this time took the boat down to Exmouth for some time out where I could go diving etc, this is where I hatched my next plan, I came home after I had a mini crisis down there.  Thank god (not religious) Sam Brown, yes FFF from trannies called me, he had an inkling I wasn’t right, safe to say his call saved my life, or at least another attempt on it.  I promptly rolled up my swag and hitched the boat up and started heading home at 8pm, got pulled over by the police on way out of town, for a breatho, I think they knew something was up purely by the amount of tears streaming down my face, but once the breatho showed zero they let me on my way.  I made it 80km down the road and had to pull over for sleep, I couldn’t concentrate.  

Anyway made it home but a week later I decided to act on the plan, went diving to shoot a fish,  didn’t jump in with the speargun, however loaded up my weight belt and wedges myself in some coral, we’ll the boat close by saw (I didn’t even notice their boat nearby), but approx 2.5 mins later I was pulled from the water, they saw what I did and thought something was suspect with my behaviour, they resus me and today i feel very lucky to be here, I spent a few days in hospital as I was again agitated, about two months after that I admitted to My wife I didn’t want to live anymore and I kissed her goodbye and walked out the door, (this is hard to write now) 

its almost like she accepted it but had to remain strong for the kids, but she said to me, please take yourself to hospital, she wanted to take me but I refused her offer, I turned my back and walked off, no shoes, phone wallet, nothing, as I walked along the top road of Karratha at about 8pm that night I was literally staggering like a drunk, but I had not been drinking, I was wandering into the middle of the road without even looking, I remember a lot of horns beeping at me but nothing else, I made my way towards town and made it to hospital, just as I got there, friends pulled up looking for me, apparently I made the local FB page about some drunk wandering the main road in and out of traffic.  Admitted again and was not allowed to be left alone in the ward (our hospital is only single rooms for each patient). 

Its safe to say the most visited place by me this year is the hospital, a few very rough months later has past and I’m now in a place where I can write this down in detail, I started back at work about 5 weeks ago just working 4 days a week for Rio Tinto in their Rail operations yard, totally different to what I have done before but I’m enjoying it.  My wife and I are working through things, although I’m still very much unstable but not as much, I’m working with my social worker and wife, we still can’t pin point the exact trigger of my erratic behaviour, im on anti depressants and lithium (diagnosed bipolar).  

I was in for busso and Taupo in December but decided to withdraw, as exercise wasn’t / hasn’t been on my agenda despite it being good for me I just couldn’t get motivated to get out of bed some days.  However my social worker and wife have somehow convinced me to do busso, I’m a person who needs goals, without them I just meander though life.  Taupo can wait, I’ve moved to a slightly better headspace and have been exercising a little bit, a little family trip away will be good anyway.  

I need to thank Sam (FFF) and Katz and RBR, along with some other friends who formed a crisis group for me to message or call whenever I needed, they are truly wonderful people.  I still get dark thoughts frequently but all the help I’ve had has given me methods to try and work through them without going to the extreme options I have explored.

busso will be a long day and emotional but I’m looking forward to hungry jacks afterwards! 

thanks

oh, mums breast cancer is being kept at bay, she’s going through chemo at the moment then radiation.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I thought i might provide an update on my situation.  In short things are going ok.

long raw version-

I’ve had several sleepovers in the hospital this year and three serious ones where I was kept on suicide watch in emergency, first attempt I was taken to hospital by police after I personally called them to come and save me, when they got to my house they found me with two fish filleting knives and I was agitated, I had wounded myself in the groin (small wound, no damage done), but you get my drift on what my plan was, this was back in the beginning of the year and actually on my birthday, great way to turn 37.  Since then I have been in the care of Pilbara mental health and still am.  Assessed in the days following and diagnosed with depression, where from? I have no idea.  After this there has been a lot of appointments at the hospital for me and my wife has tagged along and been very much apart of the process to helping me get back on track, it has very nearly cost us our marriage, separation was a very very real prospect, she researched single parenting etc, but she never once hid it from me.  Back on track, I was then made redundant, probably not ideal at the time for my headspace but now I look back, probably a blessing as it has given me time to try and heal without the pressure of work. 

I revealed in one of my appointments shortly after that I had made a previous attempt and that was late last year about a month before busso I took off in my Ute and drove the highway at night looking for a road train to drive into, I lined one up but it missed me, I was 200km from home and didn’t want to return.  I kept that entirely to myself, not one person knew about it until I blurted it out infront of my wife and councillor, I’ve never seen my wife so upset, she was shocked.  Intensive appts followed into the middle of the year, except in April i took off again, this time took the boat down to Exmouth for some time out where I could go diving etc, this is where I hatched my next plan, I came home after I had a mini crisis down there.  Thank god (not religious) Sam Brown, yes FFF from trannies called me, he had an inkling I wasn’t right, safe to say his call saved my life, or at least another attempt on it.  I promptly rolled up my swag and hitched the boat up and started heading home at 8pm, got pulled over by the police on way out of town, for a breatho, I think they knew something was up purely by the amount of tears streaming down my face, but once the breatho showed zero they let me on my way.  I made it 80km down the road and had to pull over for sleep, I couldn’t concentrate.  

Anyway made it home but a week later I decided to act on the plan, went diving to shoot a fish,  didn’t jump in with the speargun, however loaded up my weight belt and wedges myself in some coral, we’ll the boat close by saw (I didn’t even notice their boat nearby), but approx 2.5 mins later I was pulled from the water, they saw what I did and thought something was suspect with my behaviour, they resus me and today i feel very lucky to be here, I spent a few days in hospital as I was again agitated, about two months after that I admitted to My wife I didn’t want to live anymore and I kissed her goodbye and walked out the door, (this is hard to write now) 

its almost like she accepted it but had to remain strong for the kids, but she said to me, please take yourself to hospital, she wanted to take me but I refused her offer, I turned my back and walked off, no shoes, phone wallet, nothing, as I walked along the top road of Karratha at about 8pm that night I was literally staggering like a drunk, but I had not been drinking, I was wandering into the middle of the road without even looking, I remember a lot of horns beeping at me but nothing else, I made my way towards town and made it to hospital, just as I got there, friends pulled up looking for me, apparently I made the local FB page about some drunk wandering the main road in and out of traffic.  Admitted again and was not allowed to be left alone in the ward (our hospital is only single rooms for each patient). 

Its safe to say the most visited place by me this year is the hospital, a few very rough months later has past and I’m now in a place where I can write this down in detail, I started back at work about 5 weeks ago just working 4 days a week for Rio Tinto in their Rail operations yard, totally different to what I have done before but I’m enjoying it.  My wife and I are working through things, although I’m still very much unstable but not as much, I’m working with my social worker and wife, we still can’t pin point the exact trigger of my erratic behaviour, im on anti depressants and lithium (diagnosed bipolar).  

I was in for busso and Taupo in December but decided to withdraw, as exercise wasn’t / hasn’t been on my agenda despite it being good for me I just couldn’t get motivated to get out of bed some days.  However my social worker and wife have somehow convinced me to do busso, I’m a person who needs goals, without them I just meander though life.  Taupo can wait, I’ve moved to a slightly better headspace and have been exercising a little bit, a little family trip away will be good anyway.  

I need to thank Sam (FFF) and Katz and RBR, along with some other friends who formed a crisis group for me to message or call whenever I needed, they are truly wonderful people.  I still get dark thoughts frequently but all the help I’ve had has given me methods to try and work through them without going to the extreme options I have explored.

busso will be a long day and emotional but I’m looking forward to hungry jacks afterwards! 

thanks

oh, mums breast cancer is being kept at bay, she’s going through chemo at the moment then radiation.

Wow...I'm in shock, sadness but also in awe at the same time.  To write that must have been so difficult.  You are one seriously brave individual.  I'm sure I'd speak with others to say I feel incredibly privileged that you have bared your soul so openly on here and you deserve so much respect.

Busso will be AMAZING...whether you come first, last or in between; it'll be so much more than just a triathlon -  and of course you know you'll have every single Trannie right behind you. 

Keep up the good fight.  You're worth it.

Turtle

• Like 4

Thank you for putting it out there Kieran. It's been a helluva journey for you. Look forward to seeing you in Busso again. :cheers:

• Like 3

Wow, just wow Kieran.  If you ever wonder what sort of person you are, you are very honest and incredibly brave.  Very few people in the world could be as honest as you to write all that down and then share it.  Hats off to you, and also hats off to you for fighting through it all.  

• Like 2

Gotta say mate, I was really worried when you asked to be removed from the forum, and was very, very happy and relieved when you came back.

keep fighting mate. Good luck and thanks for trusting us with your story. 

• Like 3

It’s the only place safe enough for me to share, I live remotely as you know so spend a lot of time alone doing my own thing, so it’s nice to be back and contributing a little.  Hopefully busso still happens, but as people know, things can change in a heartbeat when living with what I am right now.

• Like 1

Mate, don't think of it as your only safe place to share.  Think of it as your safe place to share!

I share a lot for that reason.  I don't have many friends, and not many are really "sharers".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KieranR said:

thanks

Thanks for sharing Kieran. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

It’s the only place safe enough for me to share, I live remotely as you know so spend a lot of time alone doing my own thing, so it’s nice to be back and contributing a little.  Hopefully busso still happens, but as people know, things can change in a heartbeat when living with what I am right now.

Its great having you back Kieran. You & Sam ..... proof that good friends are very special. Keep on keeping on dude. Hugs xxx 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Its great having you back Kieran. You & Sam ..... proof that good friends are very special. Keep on keeping on dude. Hugs xxx 

Thankyou for your messages of support! Much appreciated 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KieranR said:

I thought i might provide an update on my situation.

Wow, thanks for letting us know. What a year, glad you're still here to tell the story.

Keep plugging away mate and good luck.

• Like 2

Best wishes Kieran - a very scary read, but the most important thing is you're here and you're sharing - best wishes, stay strong and keep talking to people

• Like 1

Kieran, that was hard to read, and equally hard for you to write.Very brave of you to share. Keep up the conversations with your help team and wife. Everyone wants you safe and well including all on here.I really hope you get to start and finish Busso.Stay strong!

• Like 1

Wow Keiran, I am glad things are on the improve. Take your time, don't pressure yourself and take it easy :) 

Argh god damn it. I was meant to start my training for my first ironman last week. But I've been hit with the mother of all flu's and haven't been able to do anything.

Really plays with your mind and mental health (which was fragile anyway!) - I had been thinking 8 months was cutting it fine for training for a first IM (even though I've done many half IMs) but basically I'm going to lose an entire month to sickness. 

5 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Argh god damn it. I was meant to start my training for my first ironman last week. But I've been hit with the mother of all flu's and haven't been able to do anything.

Really plays with your mind and mental health (which was fragile anyway!) - I had been thinking 8 months was cutting it fine for training for a first IM (even though I've done many half IMs) but basically I'm going to lose an entire month to sickness. 

8 months cutting it fine? jesus....

dont panic, you can go couch to IM in far less than that and i doubt you are in couch mode at the moment... the flu might be a blessing in disguise, get down to race weight before training starts..

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, pieman said:

dont panic, you can go couch to IM in far less than that and i doubt you are in couch mode at the moment... the flu might be a blessing in disguise, get down to race weight before training starts..

The race weight thing is definitely a bonus from all this! :)

8 months? :o 

I have been told "It's on" from January for Port 2020. I'm currently stepping up my base run and ride distance after being geared for Oly. (although I have no Kona dreams, just to finish before midnight)

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1

Well done Keiran for speaking out and being so brutally honest with what you're going through. It must be tough talking about it, takes a lot of courage and your balls must be the size of coconuts to talk so openly! Hopefully catch up for a beer and a chat down in Busso. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zed said:

Well done Keiran for speaking out and being so brutally honest with what you're going through. It must be tough talking about it, takes a lot of courage and your balls must be the size of coconuts to talk so openly! Hopefully catch up for a beer and a chat down in Busso. 

Agreed, geez I think we all can appreciate what it's like to be in a bad mood and no matter what not be able to snap out of it. But to read what he is going through is just unbelievable... Thanks for taking the time to allow us some insight into depression and what ur going through. 

• Like 2

On 13/10/2019 at 1:00 PM, zed said:

Thankyou mate, much appreciated, talking about is helping a lot, I’ve finally understood that  it’s not my fault, it just happens.  A beer will be nice for sure.

On 13/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, more said:

Agreed, geez I think we all can appreciate what it's like to be in a bad mood and no matter what not be able to snap out of it. But to read what he is going through is just unbelievable... Thanks for taking the time to allow us some insight into depression and what ur going through. 

Like above, it can’t be bottled up, if it is the outcome most of the time is absolutely dire, I still regularly have some very disturbing thoughts but we have methods to help.  My wife has been amazing once she understood that it’s not her fault, she blamed herself.  Boredom is a potential killer for me so I’m keeping myself pretty busy, nothing hard, just doing stuff to keep me occupied

• Like 2

Well, has been an interesting couple of weeks at our place!  A few weeks ago we got a call from the youth mental health practice in town, who'd originally told us their books were closed a recommended someone 200k away.  They had a cancellation and could fit my son in!  So we jumped at that. 

The appointment went incredibly well, with her seeing my son alone first; he's never seen anyone without my wife there so we didn't know how that would go.  45mins later we joined in, which was really interesting.  One of the things she said was he was incredibly expressive and forthright, open and eloquent.  She said he shouldn't have been able to be like that!  Mostly she would expect grunts and groans from boys at this stage.  She's actually thinking of sending him to a speech pathologist because of this; they help diagnose more than just problems with speech itself.  She also prescribed a medication for him, and that has been a revelation to us!  The effects were pretty quick.  He's had a few things happen that normally send in a stressed response, and while he still wasn't happy about them, he didn't have a had reaction.  Two of them usually trigger a "I'm feeling sick" the night before with him in the morning trying to avoid school.  Like every time, but both times this last week he just unhappily accepted it and got ready like normal.  This is a big big change already.  A gaming incident which also would have him going of like a rocket still upset him, but the reaction was much more settled and he got over it in short order.  The best thing though, is so far the new don't seem to be having any negative effects on him.  Some people worry that putting their kids on meds will return them into emotionless drones, or they'll withdraw into a shell or something.  But we're seeing the opposite.  And he won't shut up!  He's become more like me and our daughter, what have we created!  My poor wife's ears must be ringing!

He's also been doing a lot of testing at the USQ Psychology Clinic, so she is waiting to see those results too.  He's done a lot of tests, so I think they're throwing everything at him.

Rob and I are also doing an 8 week course at lifeline to help us help him when issues pop up.  2 weeks in, and we're learning that we actually seen to handle things pretty much in the manner the course is hiding us too, but you do what have to.

The psychiatrist he's seeing now is THE specialist child psychiatrist in town!  She's also the same one who assessed the reports at the public hospital and assessed he should stay in the private system rather than be seen at cyhms, which is a bit of a hit to the wallet.  She also mentioned in the appointment that her books were actually closed to new patients (which we knew), but that our gp's husband is a director of "something or other" (I think at the base hospital), and or gp had been pressuring her husband, who was then pestering get that she take needed to see our son!  So, like many things in life, it's who you know!

• Like 3

Wow Goughy thats a great turn up. Good luck with all of it xx

Re the costs, it might be worth mentioning this because there may be some options for you. Ya never know🙄

Honestly, we'd rather just wear the costs rather than push the issue and maybe get someone off side!  It's been too much of a push to get in there to risk anything.  A bit like the testing at the USQ clinic, they probably wouldn't have charged us if we really wanted to make an issue of it.  But thousands of dollars of testing and reports for a few hundred bucks, you just stuck it up.

So far we're pretty stoked.  Longing way to go still, but more forward steps than backwards now.

• Like 3