nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

It's a shit of a job Ex, but while you feel shit about it, there is some hope.  The day you don't feel shit about it is the day to really worry.  Take some time to look through your contacts and see if there is anyone you can mention to that might have a use for his skills.  Maybe even mention it on here and see if another Trannie might be able to put 2 and 2 together to help him out

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Feeling pretty shit right now. Had to tell a guy who I've been working with for 21 years that he won't have a job at the end of the month. And he's been a contractor for the past 6 years, so there won't be a golden handshake at the end of it. I get home, and my daughter had to have the same conversation with one of her staff.

I remember on one contract my boss and I had to fly down to Melbourne to do it. The team lead down there had a couple of guys who were clearly not performing, but being contractors, you need to be 100% from the get go, they had tried everything from their end, gave them multiple chances and coaching, but no pick up in effort. Even though it was non-performance, it was still a tough gig to give them the news and help pack them up. Was the first time I had to do it too, and even though they are only contractors, I wanted to make sure they got the proper feedback, everyone should be able to learn.

Boss suggested we grab a beer at the airport on the way back. It was good to chat about it. It's made it easier on the next times around.

My contract ends here at the end of the month, no handshake, but I have tried to save as much as I can. Unfortunately, budgets are being cut and there is no job for me on the upcoming projects. 

Too windy to go spearing this past week, and it’s still horrendously windy but snuck down a creek (bit of a wild boat launch) but ended up having a good day on the mudcrab hunt

FE537E0A-FF53-4186-B65F-FF0F0E0DA566.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Too windy to go spearing this past week, and it’s still horrendously windy but snuck down a creek (bit of a wild boat launch) but ended up having a good day on the mudcrab hunt

FE537E0A-FF53-4186-B65F-FF0F0E0DA566.jpeg

Two things Kieran:

First, don't you have catch limits over there?

Secondly, imagine how that poor guy in the back row felt. He was obviously enjoying a quiet drink and you came & ruined his whole day. 

51 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Two things Kieran:

First, don't you have catch limits over there?

Secondly, imagine how that poor guy in the back row felt. He was obviously enjoying a quiet drink and you came & ruined his whole day. 

Certainly do have limits Ex, three of us on the boat today with fishing licenses so we are under the limit, I share a lot of my catches and have already given away most of the crab, kept three for us as a family, a few other friends who do not have boats  etc always benefit from my trips, they are always here to help me with anything and care about me so it’s kind of my way of saying thanks.

😂😂😂yes the poor fella at the back, disturbed his session on the beers

Edited by KieranR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last time I gave someone crabs they weren’t all that grateful :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Spent the day on the water with my daughter today.  She got her first Salmon and got into a few mud crabs aswell.

40AFA67D-EDEE-4F7C-8F53-7A0CDD2DB2D6.jpeg

7C429D31-8422-4C8E-8F9F-77DC55BE995F.jpeg

9DAFFBB0-5D56-4CC0-BB55-D50B7987E7CD.jpeg

212DDD53-A873-45B8-B8A6-C11415ECD8A6.jpeg

8CE7C4F8-3131-4784-ACBA-DBCC9E77F96E.jpeg

3312844D-C8DA-4436-AF89-BF8D1915D90A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bigger than my lousy catch. Looks great (and the fish too). 😍

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tough day...

Some things in life you never forget...! 25 years to the day...since i finally stood up to him..! Parents are supposed to teach you right from wrong...yet what if they are the ones doing the wrong...! There is no place in life for violence anywhere... especially families, children and homes..!

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Tough day...

Some things in life you never forget...! 25 years to the day...since i finally stood up to him..! Parents are supposed to teach you right from wrong...yet what if they are the ones doing the wrong...! There is no place in life for violence anywhere... especially families, children and homes..!

I hope you are doing ok today! You are dead right, there absolutely no place for violence as you describe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll be glad when 2019 is consigned to the history books! I got a call from my parents today.  Mums been diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer, three aggressive malignant tumours in her right breast, no lumps can be felt, even her doctor can’t feel them, her yearly mama gram picked up two little spots, the biopsy results came back yesterday with the bad news.  Although I’m not overly close with my parents it’s still very worrying.  She is booked in with the surgeon on Monday to discuss the way forward.  

One positive I guess is early detection (which this is) makes this very treatable hopefully.

• Sad 9

Sorry to hear that Kerian. IMWA 2019? Keen? I have a new outfit for the beer mile...

6 minutes ago, zed said:

I have a new outfit for the beer mile...

The mind boggles......:blink:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Hit me baby one more time. 

Lol. Could be worse.

13 minutes ago, Katz said:

Lol. Could be worse.

You haven't seen how short the skirt is!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, zed said:

Sorry to hear that Kerian. IMWA 2019? Keen? I have a new outfit for the beer mile...

Yeah am keen but I need to get some fitness happening which I have started.  I should be there regardless as I’m heading to Taupo that weekend after IMWA.  So yeah will see what happens.  Nothings concrete yet apart from getting my own self better to start with.  But I do miss the training etc

I look forward to seeing what outrageous outfit you come up with next

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

mums back in surgery today, her follow up on Tuesday after last weeks surgery showed that the cancer has indeed spread to her milk ducks in the right breast.  I spoke with her yesterday, she sounds up beat, Dad isn't coping as well as her, which we knew would be the case.  Mums a problem solver so she just says, "do whatever has to be done"  where as dads worries and stresses etc.  mum will just get on with it.  

They did limf node mapping last week and the good news is the results show it hasnt entered them which is a huge positive.  the surgeon also said breast cancer surgery is the easiest to do because all they are dealing with is tissue, and not having to operate on any organs.  so i guess that is good news.

• Like 2

Thinking of you and your family Kieran. Celebrate the wins wherever you can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KieranR said:

They did limf node mapping last week and the good news is the results show it hasnt entered them which is a huge positive.

I can tell you from experience that this is a real positive. I hope it goes OK. 

FM

On 04/07/2019 at 5:42 PM, Katz said:

@KieranR update on your mum?

Mum called a couple of days ago with good news, after the second surgery to remove cells from the milk ducks the surgeon has reported that they got it all and have good clearance around it (not sure what that means).  She has reconstructed the breast as mum had enough tissue and the surgeon suppprted that decision at this stage instead of removing it.  

Because of that she will need to undergo radiation therapy and has an appt this coming week for that.  Apparently she has quite a large scar /s but like I said, you’d rather the scar than the alternative. 

I didn’t realise this whole process would happen so quick and for the all clear already but I’m glad this little episode is now behind mum and dad .  Dad didn’t handle it well.

• Like 6

Over the last little while (weeks) you may have seen or heard of The Man Walk, which started from a couple of fellas in Kiama, and the idea went viral on social media. After the lads were then interviewed on one of the morning shows, the idea has grown legs from there and grown quickly.

I reached out to the lads with the view to kick off a group locally here in Shepparton and the inaugural edition happened this morning. We had 3 blokes brave a bit of a wet morning and walked for an hour or so.

Have a search around on FB to see if there is a group in your area as they are popping up everywhere, or if you are visiting Shepparton, let me know and you can join in!

20190708_070143.jpg

Edited by Ayto
Edit for numpty spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

What a great initiative. Apparently there is a group in my home town. I just sent a link to my Dad who is in a rough patch in his life and I reckon he could do with some more man connection.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention Ayto. 

• Like 1

I have spent today wanting to cry and with nasty dark thoughts circulating around in my head. I don't know why but I've come pretty close to losing it at several points. Now at HKG about to fly back home which will calm everything down hopefully. Brains can be right bastards sometimes. 

• Sad 3

54 minutes ago, monkie said:

I have spent today wanting to cry and with nasty dark thoughts circulating around in my head. I don't know why but I've come pretty close to losing it at several points. Now at HKG about to fly back home which will calm everything down hopefully. Brains can be right bastards sometimes. 

Try and sleep on the plane. Enjoy being home.  Take care Monkie.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, monkie said:

Hey mate sorry to hear it. 

I have not found plane travel to be the worlds greatest mood enhancer so  please look after yourself. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2019 at 1:24 PM, monkie said:

The 'curse of the expat' is a real thing Monkie.  Lots of us here have been through that wringer a few times!

Take care and PM me if you need.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Chris,

Thinking of you mate. I know you have a lot on your plate, more than most at the moment. Lots of travel, work, decisions...….

Make sure you keep talking - to friends, colleagues and family. Work though it. Reach out in need.

Mick

• Like 2

On 11/07/2019 at 10:24 PM, monkie said:

Hope you're feeling better today 🙏

Thanks all for the kind words and those that reached out directly too. This place is great and having somewhere to shout about things is extremely valuable and appreciated.

A really tricky couple of days but woke up this morning and the world was pretty much back in it's proper shape as quickly as it went south. Just back from a long run in the sunshine and feeling good.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1