nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

We had a great session today with external consultants for our leadership team to talk about Mental Health in the Workplace.  It's only the start but touched on the effect of Mental Health, likely causes and what companies and leaders can do to assist in this area - both identifying those at risk and getting the process of help started.

I found myself nodding in the meeting constantly, 6 of the 7 risk factors I saw in my old role before my anxiety.  My take aways were plenty, and I have a full page of thoughts from the meeting with possible follow up strategies to run past others in the team.

For our leaders, I think most went into the meeting from neutral to adverse to attending - coming out every person was saying we need follow up actions to put things into place with great engagement right from the opening.

For anyone out there in a management role, if your company hasn't had this type of session or program in place - it is worth it.  We got Enmasse in who presented fantastically - think they may be Victorian based but like most consultants pretty sure they would travel, or there would be other consultants in other states.  If you need to convince others of the need to get similar consultants in - PWC recently released a study showing $1 spent on mental health prevention in the work reduces $2.30 in costs related to mental health issues.  It doesn't cost much to get your managers trained on what to look for, to have programs in place for people to get help and to make people aware on how to deal with issues in our lives.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

We had a great session today with external consultants for our leadership team to talk about Mental Health in the Workplace.  It's only the start but touched on the effect of Mental Health, likely causes and what companies and leaders can do to assist in this area - both identifying those at risk and getting the process of help started.

I found myself nodding in the meeting constantly, 6 of the 7 risk factors I saw in my old role before my anxiety.  My take aways were plenty, and I have a full page of thoughts from the meeting with possible follow up strategies to run past others in the team.

For our leaders, I think most went into the meeting from neutral to adverse to attending - coming out every person was saying we need follow up actions to put things into place with great engagement right from the opening.

For anyone out there in a management role, if your company hasn't had this type of session or program in place - it is worth it.  We got Enmasse in who presented fantastically - think they may be Victorian based but like most consultants pretty sure they would travel, or there would be other consultants in other states.  If you need to convince others of the need to get similar consultants in - PWC recently released a study showing $1 spent on mental health prevention in the work reduces $2.30 in costs related to mental health issues.  It doesn't cost much to get your managers trained on what to look for, to have programs in place for people to get help and to make people aware on how to deal with issues in our lives.

Agreed. Any employer who isn't doing this is mad (sorry :) ).

Our company has an Employee Assistance Scheme with a hotline that employees and immediate family may use free of charge for any MH, anxiety or stress relate issue. Great initiative.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:26 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

The last two days have giving me great satisfaction.  For the first time in a very long time I have felt wanted and respected. 

The first one was on tuesday i turned up to work (arvo/night shift).  I started here in December.  Went to my clipboard to check my client list for the shift.  My payslip was there as usual but so was a card.  A birthday card.  I hadnt even told them.  There was a gift card in there too but the best thing was the messages from all those work there.  The messages were very touching to me and a one of acceptance and genuine want.  

Number 2 was yesterday (my actual bday).  A guy with MS, a mum of a swimmer i have helped and a client who did rehab with post Cervical spine fusion took me out to lunch.  Their words during lunch were very touching and a bit emotional.  

Both these experiences made me feel uncomfortable as it was unexpected but also very rare for me.  

So the take away i have got from these two days is 1. I have worth in my role and am respected.  2. I have some real friends  3. I have stuck to my guns and finally seeing some positives.  4. Dont change you because you are not the right fit for others.  Find the right fit for you.  

Great news Andrew.

Melatonin may be the greatest stuff ever invented, at least atm

• Like 1

Life is s highway........

A few setbacks, worries and stresses around. I am really lost on rare occasions but boy when they hit - they hit. It is something I am not used to. It would be great to sleep it out but I can’t. 

I might head down and watch the Gong race on Sunday. 

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Life is s highway........

A few setbacks, worries and stresses around. I am really lost on rare occasions but boy when they hit - they hit. It is something I am not used to. It would be great to sleep it out but I can’t. 

I might head down and watch the Gong race on Sunday. 

FM

Whatever it is Mick, I hope it soon passes. Take care of yourself mate.

• Like 3

Guest FFF1077
9 hours ago, goughy said:

I was on that for a while. Agree 

My son's been on it..... him getting a decent night's sleep is better than me getting one!

• Like 2

Guest FFF1077
7 hours ago, goughy said:

My son's been on it..... him getting a decent night's sleep is better than me getting one!

Yes, it was a God send for me. Glad he's able to rest a bit.

On 16/03/2018 at 1:32 PM, goughy said:

What brand and doses are others using.  My partner is trying, as he is driving Uber and shifts are uneven.  We have one we picked up from the Chemist.

Wish I was down there at the gong, but enjoying a weekend at home, so much housework and meal prep done! 

Melatonin - I was using Bioglan. But now I have stopped having caffeinated drinks after 11am, unless I need to stay up late.

I'm wondering what the difference is in the sleep quality obtained from taking Melatonin, or something like Phernergan?

If I take Phenergan, I can kiss goodbye to tomorrow morning. Even on a smaller than recommended dose, I've been known to sleep through till late morning. Sleep quality is great, but I'd much prefer something that doesn't knock me out for so long.

Yeah, phenergan has a hangover. Melatonin does not from what I have experienced.

Although the phenergan does have its uses, my GP in the past has suggested it for me to sleep through the side effects of new depression meds.

Basically, to some degree, the others are drugs (or ingredients) which kinda help knock you out.  Melatonin is the natural chemical or whatever that occurs in your body which helps trigger tiredness and sleep.  What I've been told is it doesn't affect your sleep cycle, and it isn't something trying to "force" you to be tired or sleep.  It's just getting you there, but in the end your sleep is your own doing, it's not forcing you.

Kyan wakes better if he's had melatonin, but he someone's still wakes during the night.  For example, Thursday night he woke are 9.30 and 11.30.  but he said he'd been asleep and woke up and wanted to get back to sleep.  Both times I did some meditation with him and he fell asleep both times.  But when I woke him at 7.30 he seemed fully rested.  

On Phenergan or valerian, he seems to be asleep but he struggles to wake in the morning.  It's like he's been asleep but not getting the right sleep cycles so he hasn't actually recovered.  

3 hours ago, skel said:

What brand and doses are others using.  My partner is trying, as he is driving Uber and shifts are uneven.  We have one we picked up from the Chemist.

Did you have to get a script for it?  We're off the understanding that you can't buy it "over the counter" here, though you can in the US etc.  So it's by prescription only, but you are allowed to purchase it from overseas and have it shipped here no issues.

Or doctor didn't want him on it all the time, and she won't issue is any repeats.  So we now skip using it Friday and Saturday nights and won't over the school holidays or the days leading to his sleep study.

My wife's research seems to indicate that there's no problems with using it ongoing as it's naturally produced in the body.....

Guest FFF1077
8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm wondering what the difference is in the sleep quality obtained from taking Melatonin, or something like Phernergan?

If I take Phenergan, I can kiss goodbye to tomorrow morning. Even on a smaller than recommended dose, I've been known to sleep through till late morning. Sleep quality is great, but I'd much prefer something that doesn't knock me out for so long.

I'm a big lad and more than one Melatonin tab wrecks my morning. But I don't use it any more. Similar rules to miss Jess 

So the post IM blues are not going well... They were delayed by having family over visiting but am now struggling. I tried to get back into training but couldn't hack it... have an injured toe (pathetic I know) and have pulled a butt muscle.

Off back to the UK tomorrow for 5 days... hoping the change of scenery will do me good.

Monkie

2 hours ago, monkie said:

So the post IM blues are not going well... They were delayed by having family over visiting but am now struggling. I tried to get back into training but couldn't hack it... have an injured toe (pathetic I know) and have pulled a butt muscle.

Off back to the UK tomorrow for 5 days... hoping the change of scenery will do me good.

Monkie

The scenery will definitely change, we're covered in snow here. :lol:

Seriously, don't sweat the post IM blues. Let the hunger come back to you, rather than chase it IMO.

15 hours ago, FatPom said:

The scenery will definitely change, we're covered in snow here. :lol:

Seriously, don't sweat the post IM blues. Let the hunger come back to you, rather than chase it IMO.

Thanks Ian. I'm just up and down like a Yoyo and I'm predisposed to the old black dog anyway. Decided to tell my work colleagues how I was feeling though and they have been incredibly amazing which is a boost in itself.

And I CANNOT WAIT to be in snow. Bloody 38 degrees in Chatswood the other day. 38! In Autumn. Ridiculous. Snow is much more sensible I hope it sticks around until Thursday!

Monkie

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, monkie said:

And I CANNOT WAIT to be in snow. Bloody 38 degrees in Chatswood the other day. 38! In Autumn. Ridiculous. Snow is much more sensible I hope it sticks around until Thursday!

You might just be in luck Monkie.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-weather-forecast-latest-snow-and-ice-set-to-return-to-britain-for-easter-bank-holiday-weekend-a3795266.html

It's my daughters 14th birthday today.

It's also been over a year since I have seen her or her brother.

Happy birthday honey xx

• Sad 10

Guest FFF1077
On 23/03/2018 at 4:37 AM, Ayto said:

Happy birthday honey xx

Man hugs to you mate. That's tough. Keep well. ūüĎćūüėē

I'm so sorry to hear that Ayto, that's heartbreaking.  At least it's getting closer to the time when she will think for herself (I hope)

• Like 1

On 23/03/2018 at 4:37 AM, Ayto said:

Happy birthday honey xx

Feel for you mate.  It’s not a situation you deserve.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2018 at 12:30 PM, goughy said:

Did you have to get a script for it?  We're off the understanding that you can't buy it "over the counter" here, though you can in the US etc.  So it's by prescription only, but you are allowed to purchase it from overseas and have it shipped here no issues.

Or doctor didn't want him on it all the time, and she won't issue is any repeats.  So we now skip using it Friday and Saturday nights and won't over the school holidays or the days leading to his sleep study.

My wife's research seems to indicate that there's no problems with using it ongoing as it's naturally produced in the body.....

Only the prescription one is useful.  Over the counter is homeopathic rubbish. My Mum just started on a script of Circadin, it's slow release Melatonin. 

Indeed, in the states can Melatonin it over the counter (like a lot of stuff) at walgreens etc

Guest FFF1077

Hello all 

I need to discuss something, vent of sorts and get something out of my system. So please bare with me... 

Disconnection from goals and self sabotaging behaviour. 

I love Triathlon. I seriously get goosebumps about just going out for a spin or a jog. It's effortless to be training. Yes I lean on it and it's an escape but having been injured and not in the full fog of fatigue I can see that it's a good thing that I do when I am clicking off sessions, week in week out. 

My struggle is with food. I self sabotage my body and life with bad eating habits and choices. It's not as easy as getting rid of the crap from my cupboard, because I secretly eat, binge and waste money on food. I've had bulemea in the past, two years of that. But it feels like I am drifting back in that direction, which I don't like. 

My goal is clear to me. I want to, at some point in my life, do a *fast Ironman time. 

*fast being relative. But I see 10:00:xx

The training part I can get my head around and understand. To get a better idea I will have to go to a coach at some point in time but the base building I can do. 

But when my end goal is as above and I suddenly realise that I am sitting in a dimly lit car park covered with KFC wrappers and I'm $27 poorer... There is a ****ing serious issue/disconnect from my goal. *this was last night by the way. 

So self sabotage is the question. Do you? Have you? And what did you do to overcome the problem?

And should I see a normal psychologist or a sports psychologist? 

Thanks very much everyone. Stay well and take care. 

Edited by FFF1077
Details

Buggers me what you do!  I have horrible, lazy eating habits and my health and physique would be so much better with only a little discipline.  But that food makes me feel sooooooooo much better, at least while eating it!  When you're already having issues you look for anything that makes you feel better, good or bad!  So I'm no help for you at all sorry.  But you're not alone.

When you fall for that food, do you have something else to eat with you or not?  some nuts, fruit, muesli bars...... anything? 

• Like 1

Guest FFF1077

Yeah. But I "choose" the shit. 

Figuring out how to stop the action after the thought is the issue. 

And I don't eat to feel good. There's not that connection. 

Small question to ask yourself, are you focusing on the food you shouldn't eat, or do you focus on what you can eat?

I found when at my best diet wise I focused on what I could eat and it didn't matter what crap was in the cupboard for the family - I just wouldn't see it.   I didn't set out saying no sugar, preservatives, junk food etc, instead I had an internal and external dialogue that I was eating natural food that my Grandparents would recognise.  

It was the biggest distinction for me between my diet peak and my norm, and even though I know it, it's the hardest thing for me to get my mindset back to that

Another thing to consider is some of the "health gurus" (Michelle Bridges, Tiffiny Hall etc) all talk about splitting the day into 3 hour blocks.  If you self sabotage, reset at the end of the time and don't beat yourself up and figure the day is wrecked, might as well keep going.

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah. But I "choose" the shit. 

Figuring out how to stop the action after the thought is the issue. 

And I don't eat to feel good. There's not that connection. 

Do you know what triggers an event?  One of the initial steps to breaking the cycle of binging is to try and understand why.  Best time to do that is when you are sitting in the carpark surrounded by KFC wrappers.  Recommended course of action is not to launch into self hatred and despair, but to step back and try and consider dispassionately what triggered the event.   If you are aware of what triggers an event, you begin to have the tools to try and counter further episodes.  This is where it helps to see a professional.  Your GP should be able to recommend/refer you on to the correct path.  Good luck.

• Like 3

Guest FFF1077

As far as I know, being "overwhelmed" is one of my triggers. And by that I mean something as simple as being out of my routine. 

Currently house sitting and just starting coaching a sports team. These are minor things that have thrown me "into a spin". 

As a kid I used to be rewarded with food. Get a good school report - > get a lunch order. Be well behaved - > get a food treat. 

And I've been working a lot of hours lately and I have, I guess, been rewarding myself. Then later cursing myself. 

A lot of what you say resonates with me Sam, as I have also experienced similar behaviours.

There are definite triggers that can "set me off" including (mainly) stress.  This could be either work induced stress, or more often, emotional induced stress, triggered by my situation with my kids.

Great example was Easter weekend just past. I spent the weekend with my brothers in Canberra and spent the weekend with my nephews and nieces.  This rammed home the fact that I haven't seen my own children for over a year.  This triggered me and I had to work really, really, hard to stay on point.

I implemented a number of strategies to deal with this trigger, including simply taking some time on my own (I retreated to our Camper trailer for a lay down and listened to some music), as well as a whole heap of other things learned along the journey.

For me, "some" professional assistance has helped, albeit I find I can only get this help short term. Others may be very different, but that's my experience.  I have also done heaps and heaps of Personal Development around positive mindset and the like.  I have found this to be very helpful.

Am I where I want to be?  Not yet, but I am significantly further progressed than what I have been.

Do I miss out on anything (food wise)? No. But everything is done in moderation. You have to know when to stop, and again there is heaps of strategies that can be employed to assist with this.

Is there a simple answer to fix the problem? Nope. different people respond to different things and sometimes you need to keep changing it up until you find what works for you.  My advice here is don;t be discouraged if something doesn't work.  Look for the next thing as that might be the thing that resonates with you best.

Happy to chat mate if it will help. Best of luck.

Ayto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

As far as I know, being "overwhelmed" is one of my triggers. And by that I mean something as simple as being out of my routine.

First things first FFF, the biggest thing with emotional eating is to take the emotion out of it as Cat Lady has said.  Don't judge yourself when you do it as that just leads to a spiral of self-hate and emotional eating.  When it happens just sit back and think what brought it about, go back a few hours at least because by the time you took the turn into the drive-though it was inevitable so don't try to stop it there.  Once you have an idea, and it might take several failures to get it right so remember that each time you do it you are closer to an answer which is a positive thing, then begin to work through the process of spotting the signs and finding a coping strategy.

In the mean time use your desire for routine to help you.  Create a routine around your eating such that not following the routine becomes a source of further discomfort, not a soothing tool.  It doesn't need to be about what or how much, something as simple as when you eat will do.

Also remember that us bigger blokes need more energy so don't be overly restrictive or you will end up with a binge-starve cycle as your body rebels.

• Like 2

Guest FFF1077

Thanks Stickman 

I usually eat enough food to maintain energy etc and not feel hungry. 

But it's the 4000-5000cal binges that kill me. 

Also when I feel lonely, not all the time, I eat like buggery. My Mum used to yell at us all(3 brothers and sisters) and call us disgusting and fat and "why are you eating again?". As far as parental attention or care, that was the best we got. The worst is unfathomable.

I have wondered that because I was void of love and attention as a kid, if I ate, at least I would get "attention"...? And so when I feel alone or disconnected, I eat automatically to "get attention"? 

I'll google Psychologists tonight. 

Cheers all. Bloody awesome stuff. 

Sam I dont have anything in the way of wisdom, just to say putting that into words & asking your buddies for some help is a brave move & the start of you getting this sorted. Take care dude x

• Like 3

Hang in there FFF.  I will write more when I'm not at work but sending some positive vibes mate.

Some of what FFF and Ayto resonates with me.  I believe the binge eating can almost be like a 'fight or flight' reaction to stressful situations. If you feel overwhelmed and cannot fight it, the reaction is to seek solace and engage 'flight mode' and binge on the foods that give us pleasure and help us forget the situation, at least for a while.  Afterwards of course, the Piper needs paying and the guilt ensues.

The trick is how we react to the triggers that cause the behaviour in the first place. IMO the binge eating is the outcome of the trigger and not the actual problem itself. You could probably substitute drink, gambling or a host of other bad things to binge on instead of food and I reckon the advice would be the same. Address the issue that starts the process.

• Like 6

I did a few sessions with a sports psych for similar stuff FFF. In very simple terms, the stress makes it next to impossible to make good conscious decisions, so you revert to unconscious actions. This can feed into a stress cycle. 

Being aware of it is one step. 

Try to slow down when you find yourself pulling in to KFC or grabbing those extra bags of chips. If you give yourself time, you can sometimes walk away. 

I remember when I was eating relatively well, I would do laps around the shop downstairs at work, talking myself through whether I really needed whatever ‚Äútreat‚ÄĚ I was reaching for at the time.¬†

• Like 3

Guest FFF1077
2 hours ago, Tyno said:

I did a few sessions with a sports psych for similar stuff FFF. In very simple terms, the stress makes it next to impossible to make good conscious decisions, so you revert to unconscious actions. This can feed into a stress cycle. 

Being aware of it is one step. 

Try to slow down when you find yourself pulling in to KFC or grabbing those extra bags of chips. If you give yourself time, you can sometimes walk away. 

I remember when I was eating relatively well, I would do laps around the shop downstairs at work, talking myself through whether I really needed whatever ‚Äútreat‚ÄĚ I was reaching for at the time.¬†

Cheers mate 

I did this Friday. I was dropping off the mail into the supermarket I deliver to and you have to walk through the bakery section. Basically had to yell at myself in my head "just do your job and get out". It was seriously tough but I did it. 

6 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Cheers mate 

I did this Friday. I was dropping off the mail into the supermarket I deliver to and you have to walk through the bakery section. Basically had to yell at myself in my head "just do your job and get out". It was seriously tough but I did it. 

Well done.  Just thinking about this and wondered whether leaving your credit card in the boot of the car in a hard to access place and not carrying cash would help.  That way you have to either walk back to the car to get the card to pay for it, or in the case of drive through stop the car, walk around to the boot and access the card.  This would give you time to have those little "conversations"??

6 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Cheers mate 

I do it all the time. When I have a bad one, and my head gets screwed the wrong way, I've eaten one of those 350g (used to be 400g) blocks of chocolate in about 15 minutes. I just start, and don't stop till it's gone. I keep trying to not do it, but when I get in that mood it just happens.

The worst thing is that I used to be able to get away with it a bit, by going out & riding 150km before work the next day, but these days all I can do is swim, and I'm yet to manage a 4 1/2 hour swim to burn of the calories.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I do it all the time. When I have a bad one, and my head gets screwed the wrong way, I've eaten one of those 350g (used to be 400g) blocks of chocolate in about 15 minutes. I just start, and don't stop till it's gone. I keep trying to not do it, but when I get in that mood it just happens.

Slow poke!!  

• Haha 1

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Well done.  Just thinking about this and wondered whether leaving your credit card in the boot of the car in a hard to access place and not carrying cash would help.  That way you have to either walk back to the car to get the card to pay for it, or in the case of drive through stop the car, walk around to the boot and access the card.  This would give you time to have those little "conversations"??

Yeah I usually leave my whole wallet in the safety of the DC. But we've had a spate of license checks by Police and we have to carry it. But that's a great suggestion. *just need a vehicle with a boot, currently driving a Ute ūüėāūüĎć

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The worst thing is that I used to be able to get away with it a bit, by going out & riding 150km before work the next day, but these days all I can do is swim, and I'm yet to manage a 4 1/2 hour swim to burn of the calories.

Yes I use training as an excuse to binge. It led me to over train and injury. Not training at the moment has me hyper aware of the dangers of over eating. So I have to work through the "training as an excuse to eat" and get back to "training for performance and eating for health" 

Thanks very much to everyone who has helped. Very much appreciated. 

good topic Sam.

I cant add any more advice, i think whats above is wonderful from the crew here, Im very similar but i seem to have hopefully turned the tide, I come from a long history of poor eating habits, right back as far as i can remember so maybe 10 yrs old or so, Mum and Dad always busy, take aways on the way home after sport, never learning how to cook.  It all lead to me becoming an adult with a lazy attitude to food.  I would hate to count back the cost of what ive spent on take away since leaving home just before turning 17.

The real turning point for me was when i decided to live  a healthier lifestyle and that was after both my kids were born, nothing magic for me, it was just the want / need to be better, so i made a conscious decision to try my best to avoid the takeaway shops (after all i had ballooned to about 125 kg).  I still have  my moments, not with takeaway meals, but if im at the coles checkout and have all my items in the bag and ready to pay, i might see a mars bar for $1 or a twirl or whatever and im like, yeah you can have that, you ran for 2 hours today, or its only $1 that wont break you...go on reward yourself...i struggle with moments like that.

Mate keep talking here, plenty of great posts above.

• Like 2

On ‚Äé8‚Äé/‚Äé04‚Äé/‚Äé2018 at 6:20 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I have a bad one, and my head gets screwed the wrong way, I've eaten one of those 350g (used to be 400g) blocks of chocolate in about 15 minutes...

Amateur...  It's lucky you used to be good at triathlons! :lol: