nealo

The Mental Health thread

Mental Health  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - yet to see a doctor about it
  2. 2. Do you know someone who suffers a mental illness

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know but suspect they do

My thoughts are with you and yours Dave, and with anyone else who might be struggling at the moment.

Stay safe and keep communicating. Seems to be the key.

Cheers

Steve

FFS the stress continues.

A girl we fostered for a few years & remain close to gave birth to her second child this afternoon. The baby has heart problems & has just been rushed to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for emergency surgery.

We are the closest thing to parents Amber has ever had & we have just been asked to the hospital to support her.

We were looking forward to some good news not more stress & worry.

Anyway it's off my chest & I feel better now. Time to pull myself together & go support her.

Dave,

Sometimes "shit" just happens. No reasons why, no ones fault and at times, no clear path through it.

But hang tough, support each other and be safe.

There will come a time when you can look back , and maybe not laugh, but think that it really wasn't as bad as what you remember.

Best of luck and Thinking of you and yours

Steve

• Like 1

Firsty B&W, congrats on being a foster parent, and even more so that you obviously really care for the kids as though family. Something my wife and I have talked about, though with her illness I don't know if we could. I really don't know what to say about everything that's happening around you at the moment. Suffice to say it appears that those that need you guys atm will have the right people beside them!

Thought this maybe should be in it's own thread, but the driver suspected of accidentally striking the girl on the western freeway in brissie has been found dead. His car was impounded, and he was questioned by police and released without charge, and it seems he may not have faced charges as it's suspected she may have been lying in the road when it happened and he didn't see her. But things can come out of nowhere to try you, and it's seeming that maybe the guilt (whether he should have been carrying it or not) may have been too much for him. He leaves behind an adult daughter.

B@w sorry for the troubles that have come upon you and your family of late, but if there is any good to look back on, from what I can read, u are Ambers parents, the fact you guys were called and the fact that your doing what every parent would do in this situation, and that's doing whatever is necessary to look after your own. In anybody's eyes makes you here parents. Best of luck and I hope all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought this maybe should be in it's own thread, but the driver suspected of accidentally striking the girl on the western freeway in brissie has been found dead. His car was impounded, and he was questioned by police and released without charge, and it seems he may not have faced charges as it's suspected she may have been lying in the road when it happened and he didn't see her. But things can come out of nowhere to try you, and it's seeming that maybe the guilt (whether he should have been carrying it or not) may have been too much for him. He leaves behind an adult daughter.

This is incredibly sad. Just crap for all involved.

I hope that everyone has a great Friday and thinking of you Dave with your current situation

Her baby was flown to Melb late last night via the RFDS unfortunately Amber & her partner wouldn't fit on the flight.

We all flew over on a commercial flight this morning & come straight to the hospital. I'm here to support them but I'm strughling to keep my shit together. The doctors & nurses have been amazing.

• Like 1

sorry to hear both of these troubles B&W. Please ensure you get some assistance for yourself as well please.

Not good B@W on both fronts.Life has a way of dumping shite on you when you least expect it.Fingers crossed for a positive outcome for the bub, parents,and your family.

Firsty B&W, congrats on being a foster parent, and even more so that you obviously really care for the kids as though family.

Well said Goughy, this girl is fortunate that she has people who care in her life. It sounds like you're doing it a bit tough at the moment B@W but there's plenty of support on here for you if you need it. Thoughts are with you, I hope it works out ok.

Agree with Ayto and yourself, this is very, very sad for all concerned.

I don't usually like quoting things in full, but sometimes it's nice to highlight some of the good stuff on here too. The following post seemed to be lost at the bottom of the previous page. Although I've never met or spoken to Esoteric, I think this post of his deserves another run...

I don't know if it's normal but a few clients at work have passed away over the years and it does get to me.

Whilst there are many things I hate about work the client service is something I pride myself on and as all of our clients have injuries / diseases it means a lot to me being able to help them.

Recently I went out of my way to help an old Tasmanian client with asbestosis be able to access oxygen around the country upon arrival in each location for his last holiday with his wife. It wasn't my areas responsibility but I was shocked at how little some colleagues in other locations cared and kinda took it upon myself to coordinate. Luckily I'm at the level that I can use my position for good.

Soon after his trip he passed away and I received a letter from his wife thanking me for everything and saying that they referred to me as "our Thomas". Made me cry when I read it as it was so touching and all I did was make some calls and press buttons on a computer. To think how much simple things can affect others is scary in a way as I have the delegation to really change lives for the better and worse.

It also me think how rewarding but equally hard it would be for nurses and drs working with loss on a regular basis.

Not sure if it doesn't get to me more than it should sometimes and there are cases where I feel maybe I should have done more to help. We're kpi focused and I don't feel like the Department understands or cares how much effort we put into our job. I think feeling undervalued by those in senior positions also increases whatever this annoying feeling is that I have right now.

Luckily I work with a couple of great people who are very like minded and I'd be lost without them. I do tell my wife but I think it's difficult to explain to people who don't do the same thing and I don't expect her to understand.

Anyway sorry for rambling just seemed the right place to post :)

Your post is not lost on me ET. I'm glad there are people like you in this world and I'm sure it would be a much better place if there were more like you. We can only hope that we stumble across folks like yourself in our own time of need. Thanks mate, keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

• Like 5

Not good B@W on both fronts.Life has a way of dumping shite on you when you least expect it.Fingers crossed for a positive outcome for the bub, parents,and your family.

Thanks everyone.

Bubs is still on life support & still critical. The "Heart Kids" foundation in Melbourne have been awesome arranging accommodation & a counsellor etc.

I did as much as I could for Amber & her partner over the weekend & then flew home today to support my wife at the funeral tomorrow. We will head back to Melb later in the week.

A big thank you to all trannies for their support & messages. Especially Peter, he feed me & gave me a place to sleep last night. The break from the hospital was just what I needed. Several times yesterday I almost broke down when I needed to be strong. The break gave me a chance to freshen up & get back to the hospital this morning.

Thanks again guys.

• Like 2

Best wishes Dave, well done Peter. Me, Jenny and the kids are sending positive thoughts to Amber, her bub and your family.

What Kim said mate.

Thoughts are with you and yours as tou go through this tough time for everyone involved.

Fortunately, Amber sounds as if she is blessed to have people such as yourselves in her life, and because of that, she will get through this ok whatever the outcome.

Good pick up Go Easy. An awesome story on your part Esoteric and kudos to you.

• Like 1

I don't usually like quoting things in full, but sometimes it's nice to highlight some of the good stuff on here too. The following post seemed to be lost at the bottom of the previous page. Although I've never met or spoken to Esoteric, I think this post of his deserves another run...

Your post is not lost on me ET. I'm glad there are people like you in this world and I'm sure it would be a much better place if there were more like you. We can only hope that we stumble across folks like yourself in our own time of need. Thanks mate, keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

Cheers mate, appreciate the kind words. I guess we all only have to do a little something to help someone else for the world to be a better place.

• Like 2

Wifey and I just had a heart breaking chat with our daughter. She was near inconsolable for a while. He best friend is cutting herself. Jas has caught her before and she promised to stop if Jas didn't tell anyone, but she's noticed in the last day or so that the marks on her arms (which she tried to hide) are worse than before.

She was so scared to talk to us about it cause her friend wants no one to know. I've scheduled a message to the mother of one of Jas's primary school friends that Jas and my wife need to see her; she is the student counsellor at the high school they've both just started at, and knows Jas really well. And we've assured Jas she doesn't have to tell them her name. And that seeing the counsellor is as much for her own help as this is clearly stressing her out as well.

We also told her if it comes up with her friend again that she should mention the kids helpline, which Jas did know about, and that it can be totally anonymous too.

He friend says she can't talk to her family about it, they're just not, like, open and talkative. Which I'm familiar with too.

Jas, and her friend, we're really worried if she spoke to us that we'd call her parents. Which in a way I feel I need to do, but also know we shouldn't yet. I don't know. This one is really tough. A 12 year old shouldn't have to feel this way.

I hope we're approaching this the right way, and really happy Jas couldn't hold it in any longer. I've noticed Jas hasn't been reading much lately, and I think this may have had something to do with that. After she'd called down and tested for a while, she came out asking if she could have something to eat cause she was really hungry.

Good luck with it Goughy. Our daughter cut herself in her early teens. She was having a lot of grief with some of the girls at school, and things were under stress at home. She is a beautiful girl, you really can't imagine why they do it, and they bear the scars for the rest of their lives.

Do what you can.

Yeah, already spoken to the school counsellor (a friend) and she's gonna see if she had some time Friday to see Jas and Rob. unfortunately for a school of 1500, she only works Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays! I guess they could afford her more if she was a priest? Does it sound strange to say I was impressed to seer how much it has distressed my daughter (she was near inconsolable last night) cause I want my kids to be the kind that give a shit about others, and not stand on the side lines. I still have no clue what we're really gonna be able to do yet, but it's a start.

• Like 3

All the best to everyone involved goughy

And it sounds like you've raised a remarkable daughter, so you should be very proud

I'd really like to post in the "good news" thread at some stage, but unfortunately not today.

Was formally advised yesterday of my redundancy, effective immediately. That's now 2 redundancies in less than 3 years.

Still don't really understand. It's certainly not a performance thing as in the last 2.5 years I have re-positioned the branch from bottom 3 nationally when I came on board, to currently sitting in 6th position nationally from 30+ branches. In that time, the business profit has increased 400% and customer satisfaction has increased by a similar margin.

End of the day, it's decisions made by those removed from the situation and it is all done without consultation or discussion. Seems strange to me, but the way it is.

Time for a break for a couple of weeks and will start looking in earnest after that.

Goughy, no words for your situation. Hopefully it works out for all involved.

Hopefully your next post will be on the Good News Thread, and it'll be about the great job you've landed with the wonderful staff around you. This is a short bump on a long road.

• Like 1

Goughy, that is really distressing for your family, your daughter, and her friend. You should be proud that you have a relationship where your daughter is comfortable communicating with you.

I've been through a period when one daughter, and then the other, started self harming and it is really distressing and confusing for those around them. Fortunately, while they both bear very obvious scars, everything seems to be now on track for my girls.

You will no doubt keep supporting your daughter in the way you are. My heart goes out to her, and please keep posting if you need to.

Just a little update. My daughter had her meeting with the school counselor; my wife went as well. She suspected who Jas was talking about, and eventually got it out of her. She said the school nurse generally deals with the kids who are self harming. She's going to approach their home room teacher and ask if she's 'noticed' anything, and then they'll approach Jas's friend. They leave Jas out of it, and approach it from a 'teachers have noticed this' sort of thing.

The counselor also happens to know her friends mother, so will be getting her involved, obviously, as well. Anyway, Jas is much relieved that something is going to be done about it.

It's sad that they have their systems to deal with kids self harming! Life shouldn't be so hard that someone feels the need for this (ok, sounds stupid saying this considering how screwed I was at that age). I just wish kids could be kids for longer. They have enough of their life to be adults, and concerned about all this crap around them.

• Like 3

sorry to hear both of these troubles B&W. Please ensure you get some assistance for yourself as well please.

It's been a month & the little one is still in ICU. Just gone in for her 9th or 10th operation (she is still leaking fluid on to her lungs & is basically drowning in her own fluids)

Two weeks ago they were making plans to turn the machines off on Wednesday & let her pass away. The little one is determined to prove the DR wrong & today is a week longer then we expected to have her with us. The Dr told us to "expect the worst but pray for a miracle"

My wife is struggling & my daughter has also lost a little of her spark over the last few weeks.

I thought I was doing o.k & keeping my shit together. Until last night when I drove straight through a red light at a major intersection. I saw the light was red but it just didn't register in my head I needed to stop. Luckly the other cars stopped.

Pulled the car over & sat on the side of the road for 45mins.

I'm off to talk to someone this afternoon & have taken myself off a couple of major projects at work.

I just have too much going on at the moment.

She sounds like a tough one Dave, hang in there mate and I'm sure she will too. You have my number if you want to chat.

I'm off to talk to someone this afternoon & have taken myself off a couple of major projects at work.

I'm so glad to hear you're taking steps to get help for yourself. Realising that you need to let go of some things for a while is so hard to do - and even harder to act on - while under stress but so important.

• Like 2

I remember after I had my daughter, 21 years ago, I was diagnosed with PND. I was medicated and referred to a support group. The medication made me feel awful and at the support group all I felt was pathetic that I was struggling but my 'struggling' was nothing compared to what everyone else was dealing with. I didn't go back to the group and I took myself off the medication. I felt like a fraud then and I feel like a fraud now.

I often open up this thread to talk about what is happening for me as I am not really coping and I don't have anyone I can turn to, then I read what everyone else is dealing with and I feel pathetic again, like what I am dealing with is insignificant in comparison.

I take my hat off to you for managing to get through the day and I am so sorry you're having to deal with what you're dealing with.

• Like 1

Katz - you are NOT pathetic. Coping is not a competition - it is only relevant to your situation. If talking about it helps, please do!

Katz - you are NOT pathetic. Coping is not a competition - it is only relevant to your situation. If talking about it helps, please do!

100% agree. Just posting it helps me a lot. I posted it on this thread & not on FB knowing my wife doesn't read Trannies. I don't need her worrying about me as well.

Seriously Katz, this thread is fantastic, use it! It doesn't matter how big or small you think it is. I mean, how much shit have I posted in here? Well, there is always someone somewhere with it worse! But I can only worry about me. If you're gonna worry more about other people who you think have it worse 'so what am I complaining about', then you are never gonna get the help you need. Then one day, you never know, you might be one of those people who have it worse!

Thank you.

You know what though? I don't even know where to start! It's been going on for so long now that I try and tell the story and there are so many facets I don't know how to tell it. That's probably why I'm not coping. It's probably also why I feel stupid. Each little bit isn't much, but when you put it all together it's just overwhelming.

I'm quite often absent from this thread because I open it up and think my words won't help, I can't think of something worth saying.

Firstly, Katz, my sister often says words to the effect "oh well there's always somewhere worse off". While that may be true, it kind of diminishes what you are going through. She wouldn't have a clue what my Wife, myself and our Family go through and for that she can stick it! (We do get on, there are no sibling issues :lol:)

Katz, stay strong and keep on plugging away.

Dave, staying strong is a very male thing to do and also a very protective thing to do. I very much dislike when my Wife "stays strong" for me. I'd prefer to know that we can go through things to together. Use each other.

You don't have to dump on her and maybe you already do this but make sure you let her know it is getting to you.

• Like 2

Get it off you chest Katz, here or somewhere else - you'll be better for it. You come across as a pretty positive girl - stay that way. It's always darkest before the dawn :)

I thought I was doing o.k & keeping my shit together. Until last night when I drove straight through a red light at a major intersection. I saw the light was red but it just didn't register in my head I needed to stop. Luckly the other cars stopped.

Not really a mental health thing, and nothing like the same sort of issues, but after we had a few miscarriages I had a similar thing happen on the bike.

I thought I was dealing with it all. I was riding along, went straight through a stop sign, luckily it was a quiet country road so no cars around. Stopped and spent about 20 minutes in tears on the side of the road. Either way at some stage this sort of stuff will come out.

Not sure how to control that better though!!

It's been a month & the little one is still in ICU. Just gone in for her 9th or 10th operation (she is still leaking fluid on to her lungs & is basically drowning in her own fluids)

Two weeks ago they were making plans to turn the machines off on Wednesday & let her pass away. The little one is determined to prove the DR wrong & today is a week longer then we expected to have her with us. The Dr told us to "expect the worst but pray for a miracle"

My wife is struggling & my daughter has also lost a little of her spark over the last few weeks.

Take care Dave.

Katz,

You said you weren't sure where to start.

Just starting is a start, and we will listen/read and help if we can.

Just start talking. It does help.

Cheers

Thank you.

You know what though? I don't even know where to start! It's been going on for so long now that I try and tell the story and there are so many facets I don't know how to tell it. That's probably why I'm not coping. It's probably also why I feel stupid. Each little bit isn't much, but when you put it all together it's just overwhelming.

I understand where you are coming from Katz. I know I am better off than many but it doesn't make the pain and less it just adds guilt to the equation. I have been in a good place for 12 months and then it all came tumbling down again. With depression biting hard. No one thing but lots of little cuts and then a slightly miss worded email and boom.

I did my first mtb race on Sunday, rode well (for me ;) ) for 26k and then had a full blown anxiety attack sitting in the bush sobbing uncontrollably for 30 odd mins. Took off again and then bAm another this time in a more public spot.

Then I hesitate to post because I can't articulate what it is. But it is the nature of the beast sometimes it just is. I have found telling bits of the story here and there can lead to a better understanding and clarity for me. Thats what Blue Dog is all about - I posted there yesterday and it helped. Feel free to pop over or pm me if you need/want a random ear to listen.

Keep it up and be proud of who you are and what you have done.

Zoe

• Like 5

Katz, use this forum and thread to keep communication open.Vent all you want as there are some good folk on here who care. Hope to see you in Busso this weekend.

Some poor family lost a loved one today.My daughter who has just started her first year in nursing came across a suicide jumper from a multilevel carpark this afternoon.She was second on the scene but there was little she and the other nurse could have done to save this poor young man.I cannot imagine what drove him to this point but the trauma caused to those who witnessed it is unimaginable. My heart goes out to his family and friends.Please talk to someone if things get so bad in your life.

Some poor family lost a loved one today.My daughter who has just started her first year in nursing came across a suicide jumper from a multilevel carpark this afternoon.She was second on the scene but there was little she and the other nurse could have done to save this poor young man.I cannot imagine what drove him to this point but the trauma caused to those who witnessed it is unimaginable. My heart goes out to his family and friends.Please talk to someone if things get so bad in your life.

I spoke to one of the social workers in State Rehab yesterday afternoon about it. He was a young rehab patient she said. Presumably struggling with the reality of his future. Poor kid. And your poor daughter. She must be terribly shaken.

I spoke to one of the social workers in State Rehab yesterday afternoon about it. He was a young rehab patient she said. Presumably struggling with the reality of his future. Poor kid. And your poor daughter. She must be terribly shaken.

Yep she was pretty shaken up. Poor kid.